$40 a Day for Dining at Disney

I always come up with something like this, but we always end up spending more cuz we like to taste or we get hungrier because we're out all day long touring. I find my daily food budget a great guide to have so I don't go way off track.

I decided to see how realistic a plan I could make tailor made for our family. So, I listed all our must do's and then added in all the Must Try's and determined to make a 5 day plan that encorporated as much from the list as possible and averaged out to a total of $40 a day.

I was so excited to find, that even with the price increases...it was possible to get most of that list accomplished. I've left out breakfast because we always do cereal in the room on our trips but I tried to get all the treats (only missed out on a dole whip :sad1: ) and all of the TS places and if you discount Chef Mickey (which I don't want but DD is desperate for) we just about did it!

I've got 7 of the 10 meals as TS, so I'm pretty happy about that! But the best thing about this plan is that every single one of these items is something I'm desperate to try or repeat!!

**I put the peak prices down for Ohana but we never travel during the times those prices are applicable...so if that's still the case on our next trip, I could still get my precious Dole Whip after all! with the few bucks I'd save at Ohana! :cool1:

MK $43.54

Pilgrim's Feast and Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake At Liberty Tree Tavern
Plaza Club at The Plaza

AK $33.25

Chicken Fried Rice and Egg Rolls Yak and Yeti
Make your own pasta, magic cookie bar Riverside Mill
Mickey Ice Cream Bar At treat cart

DHS $41.41
Carrot Cake Cookie at Writer's Stop
Milkshake and Spinach Artichoke Dip at Sci Fi
Four cheese flatbread Mama Melrose
Red Velvet Cheesecake cupcake at Starring Rolls

Epcot $31.73

English Breakfast Burger at Rose and Crown
Nachos at La Cantina de San Angel
Werther's Chewy Caramel Bar At Karamel Kuche

Non Park Day $49.88

Late Breakfast reservation as an early lunch at Ohana
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque at Beaches and Cream
2 scoop No way Jose Sundae at Beaches and Cream

Grand Total: $199.81

Not healthy at all. Where are the fruits and veggies?

There aren't many, I grant you...but some of the sides for the CS meals would have the option of apple slices and most of the TS meals have some form of veggie (or the option of one) as a side! And any one of the snacks could be exchanged for a piece of fruit at all the parks...fruit is generally cheaper at $1.49 or so pre tax so that subsitution could be made as well.

I eat more garbage when I'm on vacation but I get in my fruits and veg at home...I suspect a lot of other people are like that too which is why I didn't make that a focus in my plan, but I'll redo it for you.

A healthier version of a previous plan....for dp911:

MK $39.37
Chocolate Croissant and coffee/tea/cocoa At Gaston's Tavern
Kettle soup, declaration salad and soda At Liberty Tree Tavern
Grilled salmon with couscous and broccoli and choc milk at Columbia Harbour House
piece of fruit Liberty Square Market

AK $38.17 *just enough left over for an addition snack in the form of a piece of fruit!!
Oatmeal and coffee/tea/cocoa At Pizzafari
Smoked Chicken Salad and Soda at Flame Tree BBQ
Tailgate Pulled pork with cucumber salad and iced tea At ESPN Zone
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich At Safari Ice Cream Kiosk

DHS $39.41
Bagel with Cream Cheese and coffee/tea/cocoa At Starring Rolls
Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans and chocolate milk At 50's PT
Hot Dog with carrot sticks and Soda Backlot Express
Granola Bar and piece of fruit at Ice Cold Snack stand

Epcot $39.40
Cinnamon roll and low fat milk Kringla Bakeri
English Breakfast Burger with green beans and Soda at Rose and Crown
Chicken ceasar salad and coffee/tea/cocoa at Sunshine seasons
piece of fruit at treat cart

I always come up with something like this, but we always end up spending more cuz we like to taste or we get hungrier because we're out all day long touring. I find my daily food budget a great guide to have so I don't go way off track.

I'm weirdly the opposite. I don't know if it's the humidity or the walking or what but my appetite has decreased on each trip so far...so DH usually finishes my food and is then stuffed for hours. :rotfl2: I've been trying to get him to share with me but he never wants to. DD turns 10 this summer so I'm hoping I have better luck convincing her.

Holy Basselopes!

I started this thread a LONG time ago and it has grown into something quite spectacular.

Given the serious increase in the DDP prices it makes more sense than ever to pay OOP with a great plan!

My creative cost saving juices are flowing again!

Okay, I managed another one with something to drink besides water at all meals (although in the interest of full disclosure, when it says "low fat milk" I'm pretty sure it's the kid's meal size).

MK $39.22
Muffin and coffee/cocoa/tea At Cheshire Cafe
Vegetarian chili, broccoli and low fat milk at Columbia Harbour House
Rotisserie Cornish Hen or Ratatouille and soda at Be Our Guest
piece of fruit at Liberty Square Market

AK $38.60
Croissant and coffee/cocoa at Kusafiri Bake Shop
Chicken Ceasar Salad and soda at Pizzafari
Pepperoni pizza and soda at Wolfgang Puck Express
Single Sugar Cone at Ghiradelli's

DHS $39.99
Cupcake and Low fat milk at Starring Rolls
Tuscan Chicken Sandwich and soda at Studio Catering Co.
Turkey Club and pink lemonade at Beaches and Cream
Carrot Cake Cookie at Writer's Stop

Epcot $37.75
Oatmeal and coffee/tea/cocoa at Sunshine Seasons
Corned Beef Sandwich with soda at Rose and Crown
Lucky Combo (comes with soda and dessert) at Joy of Tea Stand (China)
No Sugar Added Brownie at Electric Umbrella

Non Park Day $39.69
Danish and coffee/cocoa at Landscapes of Flavor
Classic Burger and soda at Planet Hollywood
Chicken Breast nuggets and soda at Riverside Mill
Dole Whip at Captain Cooke's

Loved the thread. Was stressed about paying oop on our budget but you have given me lots of great ideas.

I'm going to do a family one now. DH, myself and DD (as a Disney adult) will be $120...plus $20 for DS8 brings us to a daily total of $140 dollars. But I'm going to deviate from the original rules and share where appropriate because my newly 10 year old and I would/could/should often split meals. I'll do what I think would be natural for us going OOP and see what I can come up with.

Magic Kingdom $106.69
Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern
Kid's Meal
Pilgrim's Feast
Angus Chuck Cheeseburger
Toffee Cake
Marth Washington Cake
Soda
Choc Milk

Dinner at Cosmic Ray's
Rotisserie Chicken
Kid's Uncrustable
milk
soda
BBQ Pork Sandwich

Magic Kingdom $98.73
Lunch at BOG
Grilled Steak Sandwich
Carved Turkey Sandwich
Cupcake
Cupcake
Kid's Meal
soda

Dinner at The Plaza
Kid's Meal
Cheeseburger
Cheesesteak Sandwich
Brownie Sundae
Soda

Animal Kingdom $92.81
Lunch at Pizzafari
Hot Italian sandwich
Pepperoni Pizza meal
Kid's Meal
Kid's Meal
Soda

Dinner at Beaches and Cream
Kid's Meal
Hot Dog Meal
Pot Roast Sandwich
No Way Jose
2 scoop Sundae
Soda

DHS $130.54
Lunch at Sci Fi
Kid's Meal
Chocolate Shake
Buffalo Popcorn
Cheeseburger
Cheeseburger
Soda

Dinner at Mama Melrose
Kid's Meal
Chicken Campanelle
Four cheese flatbread
soda
Gelato

Epcot $141.33
Buffet Lunch at Biergarten
Adult
Adult
Adult
Kid

Dinner at France Bakery
Lobster Bisque
Ham and Cheese Croissant
Ham and Cheese Croissant
Cheese Plate and Baguette
tart, creme brulee, pastry

Non Park Day $138.83
Late Breakfast at Ohana
Adult
Adult
Adult
Kid

Dinner at POR
Create your own pasta
Create your own pasta
Magic Cookie Bar
soda
Kid's Meal
Brownie

Who hoo! Way under budget...lots of room for Mickey Bars and Popcorn!!

It is our Spring Break and I ended up catching an episode of Rachel Ray's $40 a Day television show. She was in North Carolina and seemed rather impressed with herself that she ate three meals and a snack for under $40.

I think that should be pretty easy outside of really expensive places like Rome, Paris, or New York. Then my mind turned to Disney World, so I decided to see if I could put together a menu at each park where an adult could have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and a snack for under $40.

I have not even read past this first post and I already LOVE this thread.

I remember being Very unimpressed with $40 a day to, as you said, pretty easy in most normal places.

However $40 is exactly what I have budgeted for my Park food on all non Epcot F&W fest days. (keep in mind I planned to have a free bagel or toast at my hotel Most mornings though & will likely need both and afternoon snack and a morning one)
So my approx break-down is:
$12 (max) Lunch
$20 Dinner
$8 (plus any left from lunch) Snacks. (so $4 per snack unless lunch is cheaper)

I am pretty sure that is reasonable since I plane to mostly do counter service.

Mostly I plan to drink complimentary water. That's pretty much what I already do anyway. Although I figure I will need at least one caffeinated beverage (either coffee or soda) per day.

I think I almost over-used the word "Mostly" in that post.
;)

So my approx break-down is:
$12 (max) Lunch
$20 Dinner
$8 (plus any left from lunch) Snacks. (so $4 per snack unless lunch is cheaper)

I am pretty sure that is reasonable since I plane to mostly do counter service.

Mostly I plan to drink complimentary water. That's pretty much what I already do anyway. Although I figure I will need at least one caffeinated beverage (either coffee or soda) per day.

;)

Using my own guideline to set my per meal/snack caps & coming under in some of them I made the following menu for my MK day:

TOTAL: $37.44 (there will be tax I think so it should be closer to $40)

Morning snack:
(Tomorrow Land Terrace)
Greek Yogurt Parfait $4.99

Lunch:
(Pecos Bills)
Taco Salad - fried flour tortilla with seasoned beef $8.59
French Fries $2.79

Afternoon Snack:
(Gaston's)
Hummus and Chips $4.39

Dinner
(Cosmic Ray’s)
1/2 Rotisserie Chicken - with Mashed Potatoes and a seasonal vegetable $9.99
Diet Coke <time for that caffine> - $2.99
Triple Chocolate Cake $3.79

That looks like ALOT of food even to an eating machine like me and right on Budget!

We spend about $35 a day by going to publix for snacks and breakfast water and soda then having a table service most days with even one signature

And one for HS (I included a beer with dinner instead of dessert)

Total (not including tax $39.50)

Morning Snack:
(Staring Rolls)
Strawberry Parfait $2.79
Iced Coffee - (Regular or Decaf) $2.19

Lunch:
(ABC)
1/3 lb Angus Cheeseburger - with choice of apple slices or fries $8.79

Afternoon Snack:
(Backlot Cantina)
Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar $3.49

Dinner:
(Sci-Fi Dine)
The Reuben - Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss, and Thousand Island Dressing on Marble Rye Bread served with Pickle Spear and choice of Cucumber Salad or French Fries $12.49
Yuengling Lager $5.75
20% Tip $4

I want to add my "thank you" for this thread! We're going oop for the first time this trip and I have been stressing. I will stress no more!!

I want to add my "thank you" for this thread! We're going oop for the first time this trip and I have been stressing. I will stress no more!!

Just a warning that this thread is 3+ years old! I'm sure the $50 per day can still be done but you might want to check out prices because they have risen!

the postings are from 2011 but we go cheap too. we do not do desserts with meals. We do at least one sit down and one cs every day Boardwalk to go has awesome basked for 10.00 pp which include soda and French fries. (epcot day) Via Napoli can easily share a pizza with our family. Sleepy hallow can easy share the fruit and waffle with three of us. I been putting 5.00 on starbucks gift card each pay and there is our breakfast sandwiches. Flame tree is another I can share with my family of 3

the postings are from 2011 but we go cheap too. we do not do desserts with meals. We do at least one sit down and one cs every day Boardwalk to go has awesome basked for 10.00 pp which include soda and French fries. (epcot day) Via Napoli can easily share a pizza with our family. Sleepy hallow can easy share the fruit and waffle with three of us. I been putting 5.00 on starbucks gift card each pay and there is our breakfast sandwiches. Flame tree is another I can share with my family of 3
Ha:) Yes, I was looking at the $50/under thread and it linked at some point to this and I didn't even look at the posting dates! I was just excited for "hey, even BETTER!" Via Napoli was the first one that came to mind for exactly that reason and also Sleepy Hollow, so you and I are on the same page:) Casey's Corner is another of our favorites. It's just DD and I for a short trip so we want to kind of graze our way through and some of the posts were things I hadn't honestly considered before so minor price increases aside, it's still super helpful:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter