"40 By 40"

Operamom

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br><font color=bl
Today is my 39th Birthday. I ate whatever I pleased. I'm beginning a new plan tomorrow that I call "40 By 40". I would like to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday. It's ambitious for me and I don't have the greatest track record but I'm putting it out there by writing it here on your forum. This is my contract and I'm hoping that you can hold me accountable for it.

I'm 5-6, medium to large boned, and 185 lbs. 145 lbs is ideal for me. Its the weight that is still on my drivers license. At least I was honest years ago when I first got it. A couple of years ago I exercised regularly and hovered at 160 but I only have myself to blame for the added lbs. My husband could use to lose 40 as well, but he just loves gyros and late night cheese sandwiches. He may be hard to break of the habit, but he has done it before.

I'm lucky to have 2 active , healthy kids who love me at any size. I would like to be a better example to them. I don't tell them that I am fat, but I do tell them that Mama needs to be healthier and that we need to take care of ourselves. Unfortunately they have my sweet tooth and they will want to keep the ice cream in the house. And they should be able to. We all drink very little soda, so that won't be a problem.

Any advice you can give, I'm very accepting. Thanks for listening. I can do this (I really need to believe this).

Is there somewhere I need to sign up to become a WISHER?

Hi...I love your idea! I have seven months before I turn 40 and would love to take this challenge with you. I'm starting Weight Watchers here at work on Sept. 5th. You can do it! Hopefully, so can I. Let's keep in touch. :wave2:

Thank you! I'd love to keep in touch. It seems as though your getting a good start. I see some sort of medal hanging around your neck, you've obviously competed in something that takes some endurance. I signed up for a new Health and Wellness center in our town and it finally opened up this month. I'll be checking in to get my card today!

40 isn't a scary number, I'll own up to it. In fact I'll tell people I'm older and hopefully they'll tell me I look so much younger.

Anyone else out there turning 40 that would like to join us?

Good luck and stick with it, WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

Yes...I walked the Disney 1/2 marathon a few years back. Then I gained back about 25 pounds. I now need to get back on track. I think 40 by 40 is such a cute and catchy title. If we can get some other almost 40 people interested, maybe someone could do a clipart for us.

Day 2 is starting out well, (can't say day 1 was all that great, so we won't discuss it). Got in a Pilates class at the new club. 25 lbs ago I did alot of Pilates and loved it, I know that I'm going to be in alot of pain tomorrow.

Eating is never a problem during the day, it's the nights.....

How are things going with you? What's your routine like. What do you feel that you need work on or help with. My weakness always is food. I'm a terrible hipocrate. I try to limit junk with the kids, but I hide it and sneak it myself.

I'm here to support you. By the way my name is Sabine and I live outside Chicago. I'm not computer savvy but I'm learning.

Hope all is going well with you!

Hi Sabine...I'm Jennifer.

I do ok during the days too. Work keeps me busy so I don't think about food as much. My nights can be really bad. I do better when I have a daily eating plan. My Weight Watchers sessions start here at work on Tuesday so I think that will help. I'm going to go to the store this weekend and stock up on some extra healthy foods. I found a bunch of recipes I was to try on one of the WW message boards.

I also have a hard time working in exercise time. I always say I'm going to walk on the tredmill at home but never seem to get there.

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland about 1/2 hour from the beach.

We are going to Disney in January so I would really like to drop some weight before the trip and then my big 40 is in March

:tinker: Good luck tonight!

Hi Ladies,

I've just discovered this part of the DISboards. How cool! It's always good to have support. I did South Beach 3 years ago and it was great. I then got pregnant and have been battling those last few pounds. I don't have 40 to go, but I am 40!! It's not so bad! Although when I was in my 30's people would be like, "I can't believe you're 35, etc." Now I tell people I'm 40 and they don't flinch. I must be starting to look my age. I do have a 21mosDD to keep me young though. On Castaway Cay on our recent Disney Cruise, a little girl around 4 asked me if I had any other grandchildren!! :guilty: I could have grandchildren, but I certainly don't think I look like a grandma. :confused3

Anyhow, I read over your posts and I read something in Shape or Prevention that really stuck in my head. Someone said they eat like a king for breakfast, a queen for lunch and a pauper for dinner. It really does make sense. I try to keep that in mind when preparing breakfast. I'll have scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and vegetable or tomato juice. It keeps me from picking throughout the day. I also just read in Shape last night that if you have a snack everynight at say 9:00, then your body starts to crave that at that time. It says it only takes a few days for your body to reset itself. This issue of Shape has a big article on evening or late night eating that may help.

As much as you don't want to take the ice cream out of the house, it has contributed to weight gain in my mom and one of my best friends. My mom never had ice cream in the house until recently, and she has gone from a 16 to a 22 in just a few years. Especially if it says "Premium" on the label. They add extra fat for more flavor. The calories really add up. Fudgecicles can nip that craving and you still are getting the sweets for the sweet tooth. My mom recently got the ice cream out of the house and has been having yogurt at night instead and has lost close to 10 lbs. My best friend used to have ice cream every night and got up to 182, and cut out the ice cream and got back to a lower weight. I am very fortunate not to have a sweet tooth, but salt is my downfall. I also just read something about Gyneth Paltrow and how she's having trouble losing her baby fat (she looks good to me). It said she never ate cheese before and now she is and there is sodium in the cheese. It says that sodium can really retain the water, (which I already knew, but it took the article to remind me!) especially after having a baby. I put salt on EVERYthing I eat even without tasting it first. So, I haven't had any extra salt since Sun., and have lost a pound. It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, so hopefully I'll drop these last few pounds. I'd like to lose 10. And isn't it true about those last 10 lbs.?? Grrr!

I'll cheer ya on. You can do it!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Happy 39th Birthday, Sabine! {And hello Jennifer and Tarabra}.

I am turning 40 (in January) and though I don't have time to lose 40 by 40 I would love to join you all. I would love to lose 20 by 40 and have been rededicated to my health since early August. I lost 60# on WW starting 4 years ago, but life got in the way and I gained 24 pounds back. I have since lost 6# and I am working my way back to where I once was. Support is key to any weight loss effort so I am here to help support all our WISHers any way I can. :)

Nice to meet you Jennifer!

Thanks Tarabra and Tiggerlover!

Who says you have to lose 40 by the time you hit 40? Yes that is my goal but my husband turns 40 in a few weeks and thinks he can't do the official "40 By 40". I told him he just needs to achieve 40 while he's still 40. He liked that and felt he had three weeks more than me. I made up the name so I made up the new rule.

So Tiggerlover if you would like to lose 40 you fit into the loophole. Everyone's welcome!

Thanks for the advice Tarabra! I bought the kids a big box of fruit snacks today. Its portion controlled and satisfying for them and not that interesting for me.

Jennifer, if you find any good recipes pass them on.

With my youngest now in afternoon Kindergarten, my husband and I are starting to have lunch dates :love: Today we went for chinese at our favorite spot. I just have to now watch my portions all the more carefully and order the take home box right away. I don't want to give up my dates, we really enjoy this time alone. It feels like those days before kids. While the weathers nice I should pack a picnic.

Well tomorrow I have an hour of club orientation and personal training, wish me luck!

Operamom said:
Thanks Tarabra and Tiggerlover!

Who says you have to lose 40 by the time you hit 40? Yes that is my goal but my husband turns 40 in a few weeks and thinks he can't do the official "40 By 40". I told him he just needs to achieve 40 while he's still 40. He liked that and felt he had three weeks more than me. I made up the name so I made up the new rule.

So Tiggerlover if you would like to lose 40 you fit into the loophole. Everyone's welcome!

With my youngest now in afternoon Kindergarten, my husband and I are starting to have lunch dates :love: Today we went for chinese at our favorite spot. I just have to now watch my portions all the more carefully and order the take home box right away. I don't want to give up my dates, we really enjoy this time alone.

Sabine, 40 isn't my goal, it would be my dream, but for me anyway I know what works and what doesn't. I know I could lose 40, but I couldn't maintain it that is why I would like to lose 20 and then I will be perfectly happy. I just want to get down to where I was a couple of years ago when I lost the 60# on WW. But I am with you guys for 20!

I love Chinese food myself and my office orders it every week, I have just changed what I get when I order. I order from the healthy selection menu and get shrimp with chinese vegetables and they just steam it all, no oil, no sauce. As soon as I get it I get rid of half of the rice and then I enjoy my meal. I do get a sauce on the side this way if I feel like it I can dip my veggies. On Tuesday's I weigh in and I sometimes treat myself to something more that evening because I love it so much.

Have a great day!!

OMG... we have the same birthday... 8-29? Can I please join? ( I am 38 so maybe mine will be 39 by 39 except 40 sounds better- it's all a mental game ;) )

BTW... I am Lisa, and I am totally struggling here, typical yo-yoer...lost gained lost gained, gained, gained... got on the treadmill today to recommit myself....

Yeah... we can do this :cheer2:

Yea, watch with that Chinese food. Don't EVER get the fried rice, get steamed rice. Of course the fried rice is MUCH better, it is exactly what it says it is...FRIED. O.k., I had to look it up in my trusty calorie counter for my own knowledge. Steamed rice has 220 cal. for 8 oz. no fat, and no sodium. Vegetable fried rice has 410 cal., 19 grams of fat and 440 gr. of sod. It has a TON of sodium in it and even more w/ extra soy sauce as I always add w/ my salt addiction. I haven't added salt to anything this whole week, so hopefully some of this water retention will go away. I gained 45 lbs. when I was pregnant, and the last 13 were from the knees down w/ water weight in the last month. I ate ham, then ham leftovers, then made ham soup! Poof! I just completely retained all that water.

I didn't follow my own advice about the ice cream yest. We drove past our little ice cream stand and I stopped to get DD a cone. I did just get a baby vanilla cone to split between both of us. I don't get ice cream often, but when I do, I get a baby cone. We got ice cream once w/ b-i-l and family and they all got the large waffle cones, and I got the baby cone. It was more than enough for me, and b-i-l even ended up throwing half of his away. You can save lots of money too by just getting the baby cone.

I really need to go grocery shopping and buy some veggies for salads and some more fruit. I think I will just have a SlimFast for lunch. I don't do the SlimFast thing too often, but I did buy the powder form before the cruise, and it's really good. I took some medicine for a sinus headache today, and the stuff that is in it is the active ingredient in diet pills, FTR, I've never taken a diet pill, so that might explain why I'm not too hungry and it's 1:00.

Hi Lisa! :bday: Come along and join the 40 By 40 club. You'll be 40 someday.

Happy to announce I had a wonderful exercise day today, I'm sure tomorrow I will feel it. Had a personal training session and did alot of major muscle work. I've never been very strong in my arms and shoulders, but he was surprised at my abs, deceptively strong. Before kids I sang professionally. Don't be fooled by those fat opera singers, they have abs of steel under all the flab. Unfortunately you have to train your abs to expand for breath control, not contract.

Sad to announce, a baaaaaad food day. But why dwell on it. Instead of being sedentary and eating badly, I was active and eating badly. Better than last week. A POSITIVE!

How are things with everyone else? Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Good job with the personal trainer. I'd love to have one. I love to work out, but w/ the baby I kind of eased up on going to the gym. Even though they have day care there, it just wasn't working out w/ our schedule. When I was on the Disney Cruise a personal trainer was showing a girl how to do some moves. I was going to try to remember them, but of course forgot already. I have 10 lb. hand weights at home that I use. I also have a Shape ab workout video that has 4 different type of ab workouts that are only 5 minutes each. You are really feeling it at the end of the workout. We live by a lake w/ a nice walk around the neighborhood, BUT we (my DH and I) have a lame excuse for not walking. Well, it's the truth though. We have a Springer Spaniel that we used to walk all the time. It's really not called walking, but being dragged down the street. The last time we walked him...3 years ago...he pulled so hard he broke his collar, then ended up getting hit by a cable company van. It actually was high enough up that it mostly went right over him, but he was still limping. He was o.k. w/in a day. Anyhow, now w/ a stroller and dog, it's just not going to work. Ah yes, we can leave the dog at home, but he barks the entire time we are gone and we don't want to annoy the neighbors. Even w/ the windows shut, you can still hear him barking. He just sits at the window and watches. As soon as he sees me putting my tennis shoes on, he goes wild and I trip over him going down the steps, etc. It's a whole big production. I just told DH yest. that I like going to his mom's or my mom's and walking after dinner. It's just SO much simpler.

I am noticing my face isn't as puffy by cutting out the salt. It's just bizarre that I never had a problem w/ the salt and bloating until and after I got pregnant. Sometimes if you post what you eat, it kind of makes you notice what you've had. I was on a South Beach Board when I did it a few years ago, and it really held me accountable. It also sent up any red flags that we might not catch that others would catch. One of the girls who was close to 300 lbs. posted that she went to Burger King and did pretty good because she had a DOUBLE WHOPPER w/ out the bun!!!! Ouch! There is over 1100 calories in one of those (I checked my trusty Food Counter book). Another day she said she had "potted meat" for breakfast. I didn't even know what that was until I saw it in the store. It's like intestines, pig snouts, etc. O.k. maybe my imagination is getting away from me, but it was gross stuff. Anyhow, I don't want to be the calorie police, but sometimes things just become habit. I keep telling my husband that we need to go on the 1984 diet. What's that you ask? I guess just portion control and eating how I ate back in 1984. I'd only eat 1 helping instead of 2, etc. I guess I also recently read about how huge portion sizes have become in the past 20 years. I do always bring home a box of leftovers. In fact, I am going to have leftover spaghetti from a rest. last night. I know, I shouldn't be eating the pasta, but DD is a little particular at this age about what she'll eat, so I figured the meatballs would be something she'd like. I had a bowl of oatmeal w/ Splenda for breakfast, so the pasta won't be too bad. I need to hit the Farmer's market today. Have a good weekend. It's rainy and chilly here in Ohio. Yuck! Remnants of Ernesto.

Yeah, I woke up a 1/2 early today to get on the treadmill... :cool1: I knew it wouldn't fit into my schedule without waking up early.

I really need to get my eating in check because exercise alone doesn't cut it for me I really need both.

I also need to weigh myself, I need a starting point.

Have a great day :cheer2:

I agree with the eating thing, some lightbulb needs to go off to make me take it seriously. Face it we all know what to do to be healthy. If we could only program our mind it would be simple and we would never need to hear the word diet again.

Exercise is fine, I'll be going to a spinning class at noon. I like going to afternoon classes because they're less crowded, but you need a shower againor at least a spongebath.

Keep going, you all can do it!

Operamom said:
I agree with the eating thing, some lightbulb needs to go off to make me take it seriously. Face it we all know what to do to be healthy. If we could only program our mind it would be simple and we would never need to hear the word diet again.

Keep going, you all can do it!

Exactly, ITA!!!

Onward and downward!!!! We can be successful!!!! :banana:

I'm double threading it now, I find myself on the Biggest Loser Blue Team. What can I say it's a whim.

One positive..... I had a choice to avoid exercise and go run errands, but I put on my gear and I'll be going to a class in a little while.

Went spinning yesterday and actually got a little nautious. I pushed myself too hard and didn't eat enough beforehand. Slap on the wrist.

Gotta Go Exercise!

Hi Everyone...I'm just checking in. Started Weight Watchers yesterday and have done great so far. Even though yesterday was so stressful and I really wanted to eat! My DD (7) started a new school yesterday. She has gone to the same private school since she was two and we decided to make a change this year. Poor thing cried for almost two hours yesterday afternoon. She seemed much better this morning put I'm on pins and needles until I pick her up. She is a very sensitive child who doesn't do well with new situations. I was proud of her for not crying this morning. Anyway, I'm worried about the weekend because we have an overnight trip planned for New York City. We have tickets to see Tarzan. I'm trying to plan out my meals and stick with salads and things I bring from home. Hope everyone else is doing well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter