• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

40th Anniversay Trip - baby it's cold outside

Rob1648

Earning My Ears
December 1 to December 5

40 years ago, last October, we honeymooned at the Polynesian Village. We've been to Disney 11 times over the past 40 years but never by ourselves. This was pretty much a last minute idea ( booked in late October) There was no room at the Poly, we booked Saratoga Springs (never been there before, didn't know what to expect)

For the first time , no real planning - no fast passes/ no dinner reservations. The idea was a no pressure, play it by ear vacation.

How did that work out?

Day 1

6am flight out of Philadelphia on Souhtwest. The airport was mobbed at 4:30 - duh, this is the Sunday after Thanksgiving - might just be the busiest travel day of the year! Didn't really anticipate that but with no TSA pre-board for us, the lines seemed to move more quicker than usual, so that was nice. Smooth flight - we've always used Tiffany Towncar (have always had a great experience ) and were met by our driver at baggage and I swear our two pieces of luggage were the first on the carousel! Made a quick stop at Publix food market and off to Saratoga Springs.

Checked into the Carriage House - knew we were way early to get our room but had anticipated that. The cast member checked us in and gave us our Anniversary buttons and wrote "40 ears" on both. She also gave us a signed Mickey and Minnie photo with 'Congratulations' inscribed.

We found out that our room would be in the Grandstand section when ready- were disapointed as we had requested either Congress Park or The Springs. Turns out, they were doing us a solid as will be explained later.

We left Philly with temps in the low 40's and we are in 70 degree weather at Disney going up to 80. We had a quick clothing change, checked out bags and headed to the boat dock for a ride to Disney Springs.

Waited for about 5 minutes and got a boat (this will be a recurring theme as we had terrific luck with Disney transportation) .

Walked around a bit and decided to take the boat over to see the Old Key West resort. The wait was about 25 minutes, so we decide to explore more at the the Springs. Walked over to the Vera Bradley store and bought a change purse. It was now a little after Noon and decided to have lunch. Went to the Polite Pig. This place gets crowded so if it looks like you have to scramble for a table, you can sit at the bar and order there - which we did.
We recommend the "Butcher Block". It's a $35 plate for two (or three) - BBQ chicken, pork shoulder, beef brisket, coleslaw, pickles, corn bread and two sided you choose. It was really good. One of the side choices is a seasonal one, which the bartender recommended - it was good and I have no complaints , but be aware there is an extra charge for the seasonal selection ($4).

Left the PP and headed back to the boat dock - had a couple of minutes and walked into Jock Lindsey's Hanger - check this place out if in Disney springs, it's a very neat watering hole.
Caught the boat over to Old Key West - nice resort but it really feels like it is in the middle on nowhere. Walked around and saw a bus coming for Epcot. Jumped on and headed to Epcot - didn't go in, rode the monorail to the TCC - grabbed the resort monorail to the Poly.
At the Poly we took some photos , were give leis and reminisced of days gone by. Around 2:30, we put our names in for Trader Sam's which opened at 3. Had some time so we wanted to try the Coconut Meatballs at Captain Cook's that everyone raves about. They were OK - let me just say it's not a must have for me.

Trader Sam's was lot of fun. I won't spoil all the fun stuff that goes on but will say that the drinks are great and even the non-alcohol are terrific. Was speaking to our waitress and spoke about our honeymoon 40 years ago - when we left , they gave us a Trader Sam's souvenir bowl with a lighted ice cube inside - a very nice surprise.

Caught a launch from the Poly to the Magic Kingdom (last two seats on the launch) - from MK, grabbed the bus to Saratoga Springs. Finally got the email that our room was ready and got off at the Grandstand (first stop). Needed a little help to find our room, turned out it was near the bus stop. Room was OK - they are renovating the resort and haven't got to the Grandstand yet.

Called bell services to get our bags, but believe it or not, we could get through (found out later that the call goes to a central call center (not the resort) . Decided to walk over because it was close (less than 5 minutes). Got our bags, said they would take us back, but decided to walk back because the wait seemed a bit long.

Unpacked, took showers and walked back to Carriage House to look around and see Artist Palette and the Turf Club.

Long Day (up at 3am) - bed early!

The Temp takes a dramatic turn to start day 2 .....

Joining in on your TR! Love the relaxed first day you had :) We've only stayed at Boardwalk Villas (last visit 2010) and have pondered staying at SSR. Anxious to see how Grandstand section worked out over all!

Day 2 (Monday)

Up at 6 and had a relaxing morning . Again, no rope drop this trip, we are just playing every day out. Out the door by 8:30 heading to the bus stop which was really close. Going to the MK was able to get a last minute res at The Liberty Tree. The temp was in the 50's going up to a high of 60 today. We're from the Philly area and 60 degrees is a perfect day. It was kinda cold and windy but hey, it's early , it will warm up.

Made our way to bus stop. Remember that I mentioned we did not get our first or second request for the area we wanted our room in? Well it turns out that The Grandstand is the first stop on the bus line (first on and first off on the return). This is something you may want to consider if booking Saratoga. It is a very big resort and has 5 stops in the resort before heading out to your park choice. I mention this because arguably, the best section of the resort is the Congress Park area ( at least that's what we were lead to believe) and it is the last stop on the bus loop. By the time our bus got there, everybody waiting did not get on. They haven't renovated the Grandstand yet, but it turns out, - distance to bus stop (and bus route), distance to boat dock to Disney Springs, distance to main lobby and the resort restaraunts and a pool view to boot - we ended up getting a room in a good spot!

Very crowded bus to the MK and when we got off the bus, the wind had picked up and it was freezing! I'd like to think being from the Northeast, I know cold - when we left Philly it was in the mid-30's - -this was colder. Now, I'm wearing a polo and shorts. My bride did have jeans and a wind breaker but I knew she was cold. But it's gonna get warmer as the day goes on - right?

Got through the gate and the Trolley Singers were on Main Street. Stopped to watch them and then headed in the gift store to look for a sweat shirt or something. Really didn't find anything - it makes sense, they don't really stock warm clothes.

At this point is was time for a executive decision:

We're gonna save this day and head back to the resort for a change of clothes. Out of the park, the Saratoga was bus there (we will have great luck will all transportation, no-wait times on this trip) and there were a few other passengers at 9:50 in the morning.

Back at the resort , my wife put on another jacket on top of the windbreaker, scarf, earmuffs and gloves (she was prepared). I put on jeans and grabbed a jacket.

Jumped on the bus (the bus app for the resort was really good). Had a very nice conversation with Barb, another Philly area traveler, which made the bus ride seem to fly.

Back in the park by 11, just in time to see the Trolley Singers on Main Street again and get our picture taken. Still very cold and windy, but we're feeling just fine.

Pretty much strolled through the park. For a 4:30p closing (there was some cast event that night) it was pretty crowded. I now believe those that say there are no more slow times at Disney). Over near Big Top Souvenirs we saw the Disney Marching Band - they put on an entertaining show. We were getting close to our 12:15p res at Liberty Tree and made our way over.

Liberty Tree has always been a favorite. We've been a few times for dinner. This was the first time for lunch. We've always done the 'All you care to Eat' Patriots Platter (which is your only option for dinner) We do love it, and you can get it for lunch as well, but since it was only a few days after Thanksgiving, it lost it's appeal for this trip. They also have entrees for lunch. Ordered the pot roast meal and a fish and chips. I thought my wife's pot roast was great - my fish and chips - meh. The best bet at Liberty really is the Patriots platter. But if you decide to do lunch and order just an entree - make sure you also order the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake - might just be our favorite desert in Disney.

Did some strolling after, walked over to Memento Mori and bought a Doon buggy car that shows the ghosts and plays the music of the ride. Daughter #1 loves Haunted Mansion, she will love this.

Made our way to Country Bear Jamboree - always a favorite. Came out to the Festival of Fantasy parade and had a front row view. Walked our way back to Main Street and caught the little show at Casey's Corner with th Fire Chief and the Entertainer.

Made our way out, headed to the Ferry (love the ferry) over to the TTC and caught the monorail to Epcot. It's tough to see all the construction, but this place will be something great when it is all done.

Walked our way over to Mexico hoping to jump on the ride. Never seen it this crowded in Mexico, so we passed. Walked through the countries and got to American Experience to hear the Voices of Liberty. After voices, we ran into Deni Sunderly from the Dis Board in the pavilion. She was working but spent a few minutes to chat. It was fun and she is as nice as she is on the blogs.

It was about 4:15 and the first Candlelight Procession was starting at 5. By this time you can forget a seat but we were able to get a front row standing spot - this really filled up fast. Did I mentioned that it was still freezing. Got to see Neil Patrick Harris and experience about a half hour of the show but it was getting really uncomfortable so we split. Were able to get a fast pass for Living with Land and then decided to eat something, so we went to Sunshine Seasons in the Land and split a chicken wrap. If you get a chance to ride Living with the Land during the holidays , the lights in the ride are a new experience.

We were done for the day (don't know if it's the cold or age that is tiring us out - but I suspect the later) . Headed to the bus stop, it was there and got right on. Entertaining ride back. There was a guy standing in the middle of the bus, grabbing the hand straps on the right and left side and pretended he was a surfing and laughing like a loon. He must have had a GOOD time in Epcot.

10 minute ride, first stop off - good day, bed early again.

There has been discussion about the Skyliner (one all for it, one not too sure) - let's see what happens on Day 3.....

Day 3 (Tuesday)

Another no rush morning. We were hitting Hollywood Studios this morning. Once again, the bus was right there when we got to the stop.

Now we've had a few discussions about the Skyliner over the past few weeks. Just yesterday, a women we had a conversation with on the bus yesterday said she knew somebody at Disney and he said "he knew things" and discouraged her from riding it !?

But there was the station as we were walking to the Studio - let's take the short trip (5 minutes) from here to the hub at Caribbean Beach before going into the park.

What a neat ride - we had clear car going over got to the hub, turned around and rode back to the Studio. This time we had the Finding Nemo wrapped car. Everybody wants their favorite wrap but ask for a clear car - it's a much better view.

Walked into the studio and headed to Galaxy's Edge. It is impressive and when you walk around the corner and see the Millennium Falcon - wow ! It was fairly crowded, which was surprising since it was two day before the opening of ROTR. When everything is opened, this place is gonna be nuts. Walked through the stores and Oga's - bring your wallet, everything is expensive.

Left to catch the 10:30 Frozen show. Don't wait in line or do a fast pass for this attraction. We've always show up 5 minutes before as they open the front and they will seat you. This is a fun show that never gets old. At the end of the show , a cast member came out and said she wanted to introduce a special guest - and out came

Josh Gad - he interacted with the audience and sang "in Summer" - how's that for Disney Magic !

If you have a Disney credit card, know that you can get free character photos both here and it Epcot. went over the Launch Bay - showed the card and walk right in to Darth Vader. He was fun, stayed in character and we got some nice photos.

There is something that is a must-do for us in HS and that is to split a Green Fried Tomato sandwich at Rosie's cafe. Love it

Left HS , got back on the Skyliner and headed to EPCOT ( asking for a clear car). This is a nice 15 minute ride and you see lots of backstage of the France pavillon. Walked over to Mexico and road the boat. Wanted to see the Epcot experience but it was closed for a special event. Strolled the counties and went to Nine Dragons for lunch. This place never seems to need an AR. After lunch, did all the countries and headed to Soarin' - had grabbed fast passes for this and Spaceship Earth. Always ask and wait for B1 on Soarin , it is the best view. Had some time before next fast pass and watched the Junkeneers do their show. Rode SE - and maybe because we know it will close soon, but it really can use a renovation.

Headed out, another 5 minutes wait for the bus and we were back to the room by 4:30.

Lounged around for few hours and took the boat to Disney Springs. Walked over to the Marketplace to see the Christmas Tree trail. Hit the shops and had a black and white at Ghirardelli's. Back to the boat dock, and the boat was there! Another long day.

Had message on our phone when we got back in the room - it was invite to the 7am Yoga session tomorrow at the Saratoga

- yeah right, like that's gonna happen

last full day is next

Day 4 (Wednesday)

Up and out a little late this morning (after 9). Bus was right there at the stop and headed for the Magic Kingdom. As mentioned previously, we are the first bus stop - by the last stop at the Saratoga, not everybody got on. Wandered to Fantasy Land and rode the Carousel with no wait. Strolled to Frontierland and Wendell the bear was walking around and we got a picture. Spent some time in the there and walked to Adventure Land. Pirates was closed. As we walked around to the Castle, the show as in progress so we stopped for a look. Cut through to the walkway that took us to the Teacups and pretty much walked on. When we got to Tomorrowland, the Carousel of Progress was loading so we jumped in.

Headed out of the park to the boat dock to Wilderness Lodge. Got to sit up front(outside) by ourselves and with no wind and the sun out - this might be my favorite boat ride in Disney. Spent time talking to Tyler the deckhand who obviously loves his job.

Wilderness Lodge is a beautiful facility. Lunch time, and we went to Whispering Canyon. This was probably our favorite meal. Would highly recommend a eating here. Mickey, Eyore and one of the penguins from Mary Poppins (never seen the penguin before) showed up unexpectedly in the lobby. Our server told us that is happens occasionally and they get on advance notice. For pictures with lines, this was a nice bonus for those who were in the lobby. Walked over to see Boulder Ridge - this would be a nice place to stay. Caught the bus and went to Epcot.

Wanted to catch the Preview Center for the new Epcot that was closed the other day. Worth it to check out - they have some neat photo opportunites. Snagged another fast pass for Soarin' on the bus ride over. In the Land, the Living with the Land ride was a walk on, so we did that first. Riding up front is the best. Waited for B1 on Soarin' - had a slight incident with a little attempted line cutting - but it was resolved quickly and had a great ride.

Went to the International Gateway to catch the boat to the Boardwalk. Boat wasn't there and decide to walk. Spent some time in the Boardwalk. They printed out our airline boarding passes for tomorrow (an unexpected surprise since we thought only our resort could do that for us). Did a little shopping - one of the purchases was a bottle of the Grapefruit/Citrus Bodywash that they used to have this in the rooms, but have replaced with sea salt. I missed this - and will continue to miss it as you'll see tomorrow.

Caught the bus at the Boardwalk to Disney Springs and had the whole bus to ourselves.. Walked around, went to the Coca-Cola rooftop bar. Time to eat and settled on Wolfgang Pucks Bar and Grill. We've done Puck's Express in the Marketplace and always had a good experience. This is the full serve restaurant and it was definitely a one and done. Was the worst meal on the trip. Walked around a bit, then headed to the bus stop to get back to Saratoga. Got back to the room and it was packing time.

Tomorrow is travel day - and I will make a rookie mistake.....

Day 5 (Thursday)

This is travel day. Flight was scheduled for 11:30a, so pretty much a relaxing morning. Finished packing, rolled on over to the Carriage House (mentioned before, this was a 5 minute walk) to meet the Tiffany driver. He was early and we were on our way. Won the TSA-Precheck lottery, so that was nice.

So here was the rookie mistake - I had a Disney bag where I put all of our souvenirs and gifts - in there was the Grapefruit/Citrus body wash. Yeah, it was confiscated. What was I thinking?

Oh well - maybe my error will help someone else.

Nothing much else to report - but here are some thoughts :

* When folks tell you that it can get cold in Orlando - believe it!
* Pack and be prepared for weather changes
* If thinking about Saratoga Springs - think about the bus stops ( it's a big resort ) and the Grandstand was great for us !
* Trader Sam's is fun !
* The Wilderness Lodge is terrific and Whispering Canyon Cafe is great!
* The boat ride from the Magic Kingdom to Wilderness Lodge is really nice!
* Polite Pig's Butcher Block is a nice meal for 2 (and you can sit at the bar if it's
crowded)
* Don't forget the free photo opps with your Disney credit card
* The Skyliners are a great ride!
* Always ask and wait for B1 on Soarin'
* If you've been to Disney a few times - you can have a trip that's not overly planned.

* DON"T BRING LIQUIDS WITH YOUR CARRY-ONS !

Relax - have fun!!!!

Truly enjoyed your trip report! I would have exactly the same as you did regarding the bodywash and packing. To me bodywash is not a liquid lol

Thanks for the tip on Soarin'! We've asked for the top row not knowing what else to say to the CM in years past so this will help us get that bewildered look from the CM next trip. :)

Enjoyed reading about your trip! Sounded nice and relaxing. Didn't sound like the crowds were too bothersome. My DH and I are going in March. Our 40th is in June - not really an anniversary trip but I could say we're celebrating our 40th year. Thanks for sharing and for the tips!

Oh, that definitely counts as a 40th !
Make sure you get your badge/pin and watch the magic happen....

Lol! I'm from Upstate NY and I thought the exact same thing. 60 will feel like a heatwave compared to NY weather! But what you forget about is that everything in Disney is in the shade. So might be 60 in full sun, but in the shade it's like 45. All the lines, all the character spots, all the QS outdoor seating were freezing. We were all like moles trying to seek out the sun.

Heading there in a couple weeks and will DEFINITELY be more prepared.

Loved your trip report! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter