Sunday - Friday, Thanksgiving '08
Boardwalk Villas
4 two-BR
1 one-BR
Two-years' worth of points

Grandparents
Their 5 kids
4 spouses
11 grandkids (9, 9, 10, 11, 11, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21, 22)

At Christmas the idea was just "talk." This past weekend I summarized the potential costs of MINIMUM $800 per person and they're still willing. ($300 airfare, $270 park hopper, $200 meals, $30 souvenirs)

The mother of the youngest twins says, "All I really care about is taking the girls to Disney World and Animal Kingdom. When I was at Epcot on my high school senior trip [1990] I was bored to death. And, since we're gonna do a side trip to Universal, we can definitely skip MGM."

I don't mind that she's already dismissed MGM. But, I sure wish she'd stop referring to the Magic Kingdom as Disney World.

Stay tuned...I'm sure this is only the beginning. :rolleyes:

Sunday - Friday, Thanksgiving '08
Boardwalk Villas
4 two-BR
1 one-BR
Two-years' worth of points

Grandparents
Their 5 kids
4 spouses
11 grandkids (9, 9, 10, 11, 11, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21, 22)

At Christmas the idea was just "talk." This past weekend I summarized the potential costs of MINIMUM $800 per person and they're still willing. ($300 airfare, $270 park hopper, $200 meals, $30 souvenirs)

The mother of the youngest twins says, "All I really care about is taking the girls to Disney World and Animal Kingdom. When I was at Epcot on my high school senior trip [1990] I was bored to death. And, since we're gonna do a side trip to Universal, we can definitely skip MGM."

I don't mind that she's already dismissed MGM. But, I sure wish she'd stop referring to the Magic Kingdom as Disney World.

Stay tuned...I'm sure this is only the beginning. :rolleyes:

Wow good luck! I am already iritated with my 9 person trip in January! Everyone just tells me to do *whatever* and I am already exhausted. Do you have rooms reserved already? That is a lot of points!!! I sure hope that they appreciate it.

The twin mother reminds me of my brother, they went to WDW one time for ONE day and said it was too hot (DUH August and you are from CO!) and too crowded...

LOL!

:rotfl: I too am irritated when my good friend who has been to the world many times, refers to it as "The Magical Kingdom"! Too funny.

All I can say Kelley you're a tougher woman than me! I about went nuts just taking my sister with us.

DH still comments how he could just see the stress drain out of me when she decide to go home early.

We'll be down for Thanksgiving too, staying at SSR.

Wow, you're a brave lady! I thought I was going to kill my aunt and cousin when we went with them. All they wanted to do was lay by the pool. And they refused to set foot in Epcot because they "didn't want to learn anything on vacation."

Wow what a trip that will be! I have several friends/family members that refer to the Magic Kingdom as Disney World too! :rotfl:

Hi Kelley,

Well we had four villas, one POR room (because we ran out of points for one group despite borrowing) and only 14 of us. We had a fantastic time. Lovely memories. Wanted to write that b/c there are so many with "less than" fantastic times. Unfortunately.

We rolled with absolutely everything. Hung out a lot. Two don't want to go to a park. Okay. Half going to a waterpark. Okay. Want to spend $70 for one day at a park and only end up going in the morning. Okay. "I waited so long for that bus". Okay. Just roll.

We all still look at the pictures and can't believe that we were all there together. Priceless.

We stayed for three days after the last group left. That was nice to just unwind. You might want to consider that. Or not.:rolleyes1

Have a wonderful time Kelley.

You said Thanksgiving '08? There is still time for the cancellations to begin. Good luck. I hope they all make it and you have a great time.

Kelley, you are experiencing my absolute favorite thing about vacationing... the thrill and peril of a group trip.

It'll be harrowing and frustrating and yet surprising and special. I've arranged group trips with my family (three generations, 16-22 people) multiple times. Those trips are still among my most favored memories, even the little bickerfests we had. (Twice I've had 2 hour debates with family on the best way to get somewhere. Once in Mexico as we debated how to get to the Boardwalk via bus [to All Star then back] or ferry [after park closing when it was shutdown], and only years later realized we could have walked in half the time we debated.)

That is great Kelley. We went on a big family trip in the summer of 2005. There were 24 of us all together, 5 generations! We had 2 two bedroom units & 2 studios. It was the most fabulous trip I have ever taken or ever will again. We created some amazing memories. I hope you do the same.

You are brave. I asked my inlaws on St. Pats day if they all wanted to join us to WDW this summer and you would have thought i asked them to share the mumps. My MIL, I know she will love it said No, I won't drive anywhere that far (We told her if she wanted to come we would drive her) & I'm not getting on a plane. My one SIL said are you crazy, too hot, my other one wanted to come but wanted to save her money for a better vacation and another said can't we trade our points and go somewhere else. :confused3 My DH just laughed and said No, We are going to WDW if you want to join us fine we will supply the room. Oh Then my SIL said that is the trouble with timeshare you feel like you have to go on vacation! What? I want to go on vacation. Well, all in all I'm sorry they didn't want to come I think we would have had a blast. Maybe in two years I'll try again. Good luck with your trip! :love:

We've taken many "group" trips over the years with our points(funny how DVC makes you want to "share" the Magic), and I have to admit, they were the best of trips, and the worst of trips! There's my sister, who has become a pro at having me book rooms for her that she will never use(the words "holding points" mean nothing to her!), but still insists every few months that she would love to take her son to "The Magical Kingdom" soon. She also thinks a 4-day hopper will allow her access to all parks in Orlando, including Universal and Seaworld. I don't even waste my time trying to explain the whole ticket thing...I'm saving that for the drive down once she actually decides to take advantage of the free room! My brother, who couldn't buy a clue about DVC, did actually enjoy himself at the Boardwalk Christmas, 2004, as did my younger sister. And don't even get me started on DH's family! Truthfully, it was a lot of hard work to plan, as everyone left it up to me, and I always felt responsible for everyone having a good time. It seems the more people you have in your group, the harder it will be to please everyone. I learned that the hard way with my son's Boy Scout troop trip(a toal of 29 people). If I had to do all over again, I would schedule more "down" time each day, to take a break from each other. And be sure you REALLY like the other family if sharing a 2-bedroom...tried that once with DH's sister...NEVER again! I did not mind ponying up extra points for a 2-bedroom and a studio for the trips afterward...we each had our own "space" that way. I will say,too, that I would do every family trip again! It was so nice seeing my kids laughing and having fun with their cousins in Disney! My then-16-year-old took my 4-year-old niece to see the Mermaid show, the Beauty and the Beast show, and to get autographs while my sister rode the bigger rides at MGM with my older niece. My younger niece, who rarely even sees my oldest daughter(who is now in college)LOVED spending time with her! And we have the best pictures! We were able to get ALL the nieces and nephews together for a picture with Santa in the lobby of the Boardwalk...priceless! Good luck! I think you have a great attitude...let's just see how long it takes family to wear that down!

Notihng special to add. Just wanted to say that I hope your trip can be arranged. I really, really love the idea of that much family hanging out together. We had a lot of extended family time when our kids were growing up, and we're all now beginning to talk about how much fun it would be to get the children of cousins together. I can't think of a place that would be more fun than WDW. Kudos to you for being willing to use so many points and do all the legwork to make this memory happen. :love:

Thanks for all the suggestions and support! I'm definitely gonna try to stay there an extra night or 2 after the extended family departs. If not BWV, maybe Vero.

This is DH's side of the family, btw. So, if that man doesn't want to pay dearly, he's gonna have to help!:laughing:

I'm sure this won't be the last you hear of this trip and its drama, if any. So, don't keep the suggestions to yourselves. :)

.... Just wanted to say that I hope your trip can be arranged. I really, really love the idea of that much family hanging out together. ...
Kudos to you for being willing to use so many points and do all the legwork to make this memory happen. :love:

Yes, these are my feelings, exactly!
Bobbi:goodvibes

WOW! Exciting times ahead! Have fun; hope it all works out as smoothly as possible!

We did a large group trip in '99, 6 units and 32 people. It worked well. We only had one dinner planned for everyone and the same time. Chef Mickey's at the 1st seating. We had a room up a few steps and it was all of us and 1 other couple. We had a great time. We split up into more manigable group sizes most days. It was fun to see the look on the CMs face when going on a ride and they ask 'how many in your party" 32!!!

Now Disney offers the grand gathering which should make planning much easier. Good luck, I know you will have a blast. Just remember you can't get that many people to agree on much of anything, so stay calm and have FUN!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter