!!5 years in the making!! how to have a great trip with 15 people

ashleym337

DIS Lover
First, I must say this is my very first thread on the DIS boards! :) Planning this trip has been made much easier with all of you dis'ers out there!!!

I have to start by saying this trip is 5 years in the making! My family trips as a kid were always to Disney World. I remember being 3 and getting chickenpocks there (along with my two brothers) to 18 going for a graduation present, with many more in between there.:thumbsup2 I told myself (and my husband on many occasions :rotfl:) that when we had a baby, our first "big" family trip was to Disney. I decided that when our son turned 5 (or around there) that was when we would do it. I knew that I wanted this trip to be one that he would never forget, so in that, we told both our familys when the trip would be and that we wanted as many people to come celebrate with us.

Well, in those 5 years we have since added a new (but older) member to our family, our "nephew (who is technically our little cousin) who is now 14. This will also be his first trip (along with first time flying) and he is super excited to be going to Disney as well (he said "I just never thought i'd be able to ever go), which makes this trip that much more special. :woohoo:

We had first planned this trip for February 2011 (slower crowds) but when the free dining came up for December, it was a no brainer!! Disney at Christmas is just breathtaking! Add free dining (and much savings) on top of that, this was it. Thankfully, my son will be 4 3/4 (he turns 5 in April) and is HUGE for his age (already he is 44 inches) so it was close enough for me to say what the heck! Our trip is for December 10-16th.

The invitation for the "Official Trip" went out and there is now 15 (and possibly more) along for this wonderful ride! :cloud9: We are staying at CRB and have all our ADR's in place. :cloud9: This will be my first time with the character dining (I went to Ton'ys once) so in all that is still there, there is that much more that is new to me as well.

From much research, I know the "main things" to do. We are doing the Christmas party on the 12th, we have our magic hours mapped out. The boys are doing the Priates League and our girls are doing BBB. The problem is dealing with the husband! :laughing:

Having never been to Disney, with no real desire to ever go, he is bla about this trip. He just doesn't get Disney and how its unlike any other theme park you could ever go to. I understand this, you all understand this, but he just doesn't! :laughing: So, i'm asking for help!!!:laughing:

What is there to do at disney that is just amazing! (I know I know, its all amazing). Is there something like a beer testing in Germany at EPCOT? He doesn't golf so thats out. I just want to make this trip amazing for everyone. The kids I a SO not worried about. Give them a ride, some cool treats and they are happy. But, I want this to be awesome for everyone. So please help me... what would you recommend to a reluctant husband/boy that people just dont think about!! Thank you all in advance! :cheer2:

When DH went with me for his first trip, he was not sure about it either. I won't say he's become a Disney addict (like me), but he has agreed to buying DVC and therefore committed to family Disney trips over the years (although some of these trips do not include him).

So, the things that DH has enjoyed:

1. Watching how much kids enjoy this (first trips were with our niece and nephew, and subsequent trips with DS).

2. Meals at Epcot with food DH likes - letting him stop in for a beer at the bar in the UK, etc.

3. Don't pressure DH to conform to a schedule. He knows about the ADRs (but I don't make any too early where he'd be unhappy having to get up so early on vacation). If DH want's to sleep in and DS and I want to hit the parks, let DH sleep in and arrange to meet up with him later. Or take DS to the pool myself and let DH nap. DH's idea of a vacation does not include running around a theme park like crazy all day long, so if I force this on him, he'd hate Disney vacations.

4. Find some couple time (it can be done - even with little ones). Husbands are in a much better frame of mind when appreciated for being husbands too, not just a dad.

5. Some else told DH that "Disney is a happy place" and explained to his that it is designed to just be a fantsy of a prefect place. This was a man that DH respected, and I think helped set DH's frame of mind for the experience.

6. Only go at slow times. DH does not like waiting in lines, nor does he like really hot weather (he thinks 60's and rainy is a perfect day).

7. Don't bug DH with all the planning details. He doesn't want to be involved. I'll talk to him a few days before booking ADRs to see if he has any thoughts, I'll talk to him ahead about other special things - like doing the Resort Photoshoot, but won't bug him about how to plan the tickets, which parks on which days, airfare options, etc. I just take care of it and type up a high level schedule for him the day before the trip so he know's what's going on.

Probably not quite the list you were looking for, but for my DH, this has lead to happy vacations at Disney - we're heading there again Jan with DS and our new DD (her first trip!).

Have fun!

Ashley - we took our DD to WDW for the first time at about the same age as your son (December 2008). She had an absolute blast! All of the grandparents that were able made the trip too. And we are still talking about the trip to this day!

We will also be at WDW at the same time as your family this December! We are counting down the days already!

Does your DH like to do anything on the water? There are different places around the world that you can rent boats and go out on the lake. If he likes to ride horses, you can go over to Fort Wilderness and try that out. There is the Richard Petty Driving Experience if he likes racing. The previous poster suggested some adult time....that would be good. The Candlelight Processional will be going on in December and that is always fun. There are also dinner package available for the CP.

Maybe some of these suggestions will help! Trust me...when he gets there and watches your son's reactions to all the things around him, he will have a good time!:cloud9:

Also, since you have so many people going with you, you should qualify for Grand Gathering status! Call WDW and they can fill you in on all the things that they do for Grand Gatherings!

Hope you guys have fun!!:cool1:

We had a group of 19 on our trip in June. Also was on the 5-yr plan, although serious planning began 2 years ago. Our situation was a little different: stayed at Shades of Green and faced with the challenge of getting 5 families to agree on anything. Needless to say, we survived the planning :rotfl2: and had a great time.

I can relate to your DH. My excitement for Disney is through the grandkids. Maybe you can tell us what kind of vacations he likes. Hobbies? What activities does he do with your 4-yr-old?

I have done Disney and Cruises with 20+ family members and one of the best words of advice I can give you is to not try to do everything together. We make an agreement before we even leave to go that even if we end up going to the same park on the same day that we don't need to hang around together the entire time. Just meet up later for lunch dinner or whatever.
You can't keep that many people moving in the same direction and same speed.
"Aunt Janie stops to look at snowglobes in the Gift Shop while every one else wants to keep moving she gets mad that people won't give her time to shop, you finally get her moving when Bobby needs to go to the bathroom, he gets out of there and now Susie sees Capt. Jack and has to stand in line to see him because she will just die if she doesn't"

I have done Disney and Cruises with 20+ family members and one of the best words of advice I can give you is to not try to do everything together.

^Thats the best advice anyone can give you.

We took a family trip last year, total of 12....I hated it. I honestly felt like I didn't get my money's worth. I planned the whold trip, Parks, ADR's and shows, but I made sure to let everyone know that they were free to do what they wanted....well that never happened, I had planned my immediate familys trip so well that everyone ended up tagging along with us.....It was horrible.

We were always waiting for someone, nobody could decide what rides to get on next, what to eat, etc.... A lot of times I had to go off plan to please other people, I was upset for half the trip...If you want your DH to love it, make sure to take the days at his speed, dont put him through the nightmare we went through.

The best time we had on our last trip was the departure day, where everyone went their own way, and my family and I finally got alone time. That was great.

We didnt plan on going this year, but after last years experience my DW and I decided we take our first family trip, with just our immediate family and do what we want! Finally get our money's worth!

Good Luck!

Thank you all for your replies!! For LT2 I want to thank you (or your family member) first and for most for your service to this country. I am an ex-Army wife (though still a true one in my heart) and will be celebrating my husband's homecoming from Afghanistan with this trip as well!

The only thing we have planned as a group (our grand gathering) is 1 meal a day. Other then that, thank you for the advise to keep flexable and move at your own pace. Although we have told EVERYONE that this is a go at your own pace it does well to remind me of that! :) :laughing: I think with going through the DIS boards so completely I am reminded to plan plan plan so with that i need to "plan" to not plan as well (if that makes any sense lol)

As far as what DH likes to do... he's a chill out guy. He likes to play pool, drink beer everynow and then, music. he likes to be active as well, but being in the parks all day, I kind of want to take that option out as we'll be so tired. Is there any adult restaurants you could recommend?

And what about EPCOT? what cool things are there to do there that you just dont think about. With all the "worlds" there, I know I didn't do even 1/2 of what you could do.

thanks again in advance! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter