• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50 and Fabulous Disneyland Trip

jillt2ph

DIS Veteran
Thought I would share a little of my trip as it happens...

Decided a while ago on a combo Disneyland/Aulani trip to celebrate turning 50. DL portion with sister and a friend, and Aulani with another friend.

Departed Pittsburgh yesterday and made it to SNA with a stop at Vegas airport. Turbulance was pretty bad landing in Vegas, but we were told that is normal this time of year.

Helpful tip for anyone flying into Vegas on Southwest: if you arrive in a B gate and are connecting to a flight leaving from a C gate, do not dally! That was quite a hike!

Tip for folks arriving at SNA on Southwest: if you are looking for the Ground Transportation area, it is across the street between poles 5 and 6 in the arrivals area.

Took a $10 shuttle ride to the Grand Californian. Checked in, exchanged our vouchers for tickets, grabbed dinner at Whitewater Snacks and had an early night. We had planned on making the 7 AM rope drop at DCA to get to RSR.

Tip for Whitewater Snacks: Large fountain driink is $3.69, while a 2 liter bottle is $3.49.

Well, we were at the main entrance area at 6:45 and were the 2nd party in line at our gate. All for naught! After entering the park and proceeding directly to Cars Land we were greeted by CMs saying RSR was down and not expected up anytime soon. Would not have minded so much if the CMs at the entrance had told us that... So off to ride Toy Story MM a couple times, then Mickey's wheel of death. RSR being down pretty much threw off our schedule, so we crossed over to DL shortly after 8.

We had a 10:30 reservation at Carnation Cafe, but they had no problem fitting us in around 8:30. After a yummy breakfast, we looked around the shops, rode Buzz, then headed back to the resort to wait for our friend to arrive. Pool time!

Late afternoon we headed back to DCA for dinner. After eating (first time trying Corn Dog Castle!) we were happy to hear RSR was open! Headed over there to take advantage of single rider line, stopping at every Photopass photographer we saw. That ride made the whole trip! With so many of the other big things being down, mainly Indy and Pirates, I was really looking forward to Cars Land. It did not disappoint!

We then leisurely made our way over to DL so we could watch Fantasmic! and the Fireworks. Took advantage of tips from the boards and hung out behind the big light fixture. I have been an AP at WDW for many years, and I can say that I enjoyed Fantasmic tonight, but could not really say one is better than the other.

Tomorrow we are doing the Welcome to Disneyland tour, so I will let you know how that goes!

Happy Birthday! I am also celebrating my 50th later this year with an Aulani/Disneyland trip as well as our 30th anniversary.
Have a wonderful trip!

What a wonderful trip you have planned out! I love reading it in 'realish time'. I'm curious about the tour! :thumbsup2

What a wonderful trip you have planned out! I love reading it in 'realish time'. I'm curious about the tour! :thumbsup2

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I was just busy busy at Disneyland!

All 3 people in my party really enjoyed the Welcome to Disneyland tour. It was offered on Monday, which is a DCA early entry day. We were there for rope drop so we could ride RSR and TSMM before heading over to DL for our 10:15 meeting time. Lines at the DL gates were crazy long, so it was closer to 10:25 by the time we signed in. We received our lanyards, and our guide Karli asked if she could assist with any dining reservations for lunch or dinner, and also asked which Aladdin show time we wanted the priority seating for. I asked if she could get us a ressie for the following day at Ariel's Grotto for lunch instead. She came through with flying colors! We were given the first table that the Princesses visit!

Anyway, after asking those questions, our tour group of 7 guests and 1 guide was off! First thing we did was cross over to DCA. Strolled down towards the Carthay Circle restaurant, then into Hollywood land. As a group, we went in and watched the Muppet 3-D movie. Then it was a walk through Bug Land to Cars Land. Karli had lots if interesting things to contribute as we walked around. We then headed over towards Paradise Pier and went the back way to the World of Color fast pass machines. We were given Yellow area tickets. From there we went back to the front of the park and crossed to DL. We boarded the train at Main Street station, and did the entire loop once, and stayed on until we hit New Orleans Square. As a group, we went in the Haunted Mansion, skipping the standby line :) After that, it was a similar walk and talk kind of tour around DL. We stopped at BTMRR so everyone could get a fastpass, and then walked around DL some more. Karli always asked if we had any questions, and would answer them if she could. The tour concluded at the same place it started, the tour gardens at the front of the park. She ducked inside for a brief moment, then came out with goodies for everyone! We got a paper with our dining reservation info and confirmation of our Aladdin show time (needed to show that!). We also each received the promised pin, along with fastpasses for Soarin and Star Tours that were good for any return time. Also, if anyone wanted to change their BTMRR fast pass return time, they were given that oppotunity.

As someone who has not been to DL since 2011, I though the tour was definitely worth the $20 pp we paid. I would suggest NOT doing DCA early entry the same day if you are going to run to the extremes like we did (Cars Land AND Paradise Pier). That is quite a bit of walking. Also, depending on how late the parks are open the day you take the tour, I would suggest seeing if they can help you with a dining reservation for a different day. We did not finish the tour until after 1 PM, and at that point you have 4 fastpasses to use among the 2 parks, along with the priority seating for Aladdin. I had asked if they could try to get me a ressie around noon on Tuesday, and when Karli brought out the papers it was for 2:20. We were good with that, but she offered to help anyone who was not happy with the time they were assigned. It is those little things that make you appreciate a cast member! Glad we did the tour!

Anyway, at Aulani now trying to adjust to yet another 3 hr time zone change :)

I didn't realize that tour was so inexpensive! Sound kinda fun! :)

Enjoy Aulauni!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter