• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

50% Borrowing Limit

rawisericho

Earning My Ears
Time to revisit this topic again!

Any crystal balls seeing when the 50% borrow limit will be lifted?

In previous threads people have speculated not until 2022, some have suggested this summer. Anyone have any gut feelings?

Honestly... I think they’re going to need for a while. There’s still a huge back log of points and DVC is already booking up quickly. Most international owners have a pile of points that most aren’t planning until 2022 to use.

Can’t say for sure but 2022 could need the restriction even more than 2021 did.

I don't think it will be lifted anytime this year, either. My best guess is that DVCMC will wait until international travel restrictions are relaxed to even consider the possibility.

It's going to be awhile still. DVC is still way over booked based on normal reservations. Way too many points out there already.

In a related note, I had a thought cross my mind earlier and was wondering if this could be done from both a legal and technical standpoint.

Right now, Disney World has a lot of closed resorts, could DVC use those resorts as a "temporary DVC resort", essentially opening them to DVC members only, run by say DVC's marketing budget, so there would be no need to remove existing inventory to pay for the rooms. Then members could burn points off at these resorts before they are ready to be fully reopened?

In a related note, I had a thought cross my mind earlier and was wondering if this could be done from both a legal and technical standpoint.

Right now, Disney World has a lot of closed resorts, could DVC use those resorts as a "temporary DVC resort", essentially opening them to DVC members only, run by say DVC's marketing budget, so there would be no need to remove existing inventory to pay for the rooms. Then members could burn points off at these resorts before they are ready to be fully reopened?

Part of owning DVC is offloading the risk from Disney. They aren't going to bear a cost when the ownership of the risk is already assumed by membership.

Again, the resorts are different so any ability to use the WDW resort would be a trade out for the Disney Collection. The current program allows owners with qualified points to trade. You can not simply add rooms to booking with DVC vacation points,

For that program to change, DVD and Disney would have to agree change that program and to be honest, there is no incentive for any other Disney division to give up revenue

It really is on us as owners to have to deal with it. So far, DVCM has gone beyond what was legally required of them in terms of extensions by using their own points to help owners out,

Edited to add:
Member services says NO.
It's ok I will just do 4 days at OKW my home resort and 3-4 days at Royal Pacific Resort,
Nice to book a trip I might actually be able to take,,,or atleast dream about.

Answer found/ post edited
Some help please.
I have enough points in 2022 use year for my usual March Spring Break trip 2022 .
Now if I book this trip now can I borrow the 2022 points or no?

Thanks
Mel

Last edited:
Is the 50% borrowing limit on all next years use points or just contract ones?
Example: my contract is 200 points but I have 320 points due to previous banking. Can I only use 100 points or will I be eligible to borrow 160 because i have 320 sitting in my account?
Thank you in advance for any information :love:

Is the 50% borrowing limit on all next years use points or just contract ones?
Example: my contract is 200 points but I have 320 points due to previous banking. Can I only use 100 points or will I be eligible to borrow 160 because i have 320 sitting in my account?
Thank you in advance for any information :love:
You can borrow half of next years points. If your contract is 200pts you can borrow 100.

Depends how many points get burned on the DVC cruise on the Wish.
Honestly, until the backlog of points is used up (or expired), I don't see it changing.

Depends how many points get burned on the DVC cruise on the Wish.
Honestly, until the backlog of points is used up (or expired), I don't see it changing.

But people trading points for the Wish take the rooms with them so it really doesn’t do anything different than move the rooms out of points based inventory.

But people trading points for the Wish take the rooms with them so it really doesn’t do anything different than move the rooms out of points based inventory.
Agree. I do wonder though, if DVC is still "erasing" some of its own points (like these would be) to alleviate some of the glut from the exceptions they made due to the closures. (Extended life, banking waivers, etc.). If so, this would definitely help.

On a side note, it's interesting how quickly the cruise sold out, even in spite of the no "all-cash" bookings, We are constantly reminded here on the DIS that cruising with points is a bad value. Yet here is another example of how popular that option really is - and it's not just the Member cruises. IMO, a very, very large share of the cash inventory is available become Members use points to cruise!

Last edited:
Agree. I do wonder though, if DVC is still "erasing" some of its own points (like these would be) to alleviate some of the glut from the exceptions they made due to the closures. (Extended life, banking waivers, etc.). If so, this would definitely help.

On a side note, it's interesting how quickly the cruise sold out, even in spite of the "no all-cash" bookings, We are constantly reminded here on the DIS that cruising with points is a bad value. Yet here is another example of how popular that option really is - and it's not just the Member cruises. IMO, a very, very large share of the cash inventory is available become Members use points to cruise!

That is a good point I never thought about! I know it’s not the best value either but I really had to restrain myself from booking!

It still is a great option if one wants the ease of being able to do Disney and the cruise. I am hoping to be able to every other year with my direct points!!

You can borrow half of next years points. If your contract is 200pts you can borrow 100.

When do you get access to all your 2022 points? I am trying to book Aulani for 5/2022. Right now I can only borrow 50% of my 2022 points, but feel like at some point I should get access to all of the 2022 points.

When do you get access to all your 2022 points? I am trying to book Aulani for 5/2022. Right now I can only borrow 50% of my 2022 points, but feel like at some point I should get access to all of the 2022 points.
What's your UY? Assuming the trip is in your 2021 UY then you will only be able to borrow 50% of your 2022 points. That won't change with time unless they get rid of the borrowing limit. You already have access to your 2022 points, it's just based on travel date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter