50th Celebration starts on March 21

FLOIR

DIS Veteran
Only 2 weeks left before SeaWorld starts their 50th birthday celebration. It is the birthday of when the California park opened but all parks will be participating. It is scheduled to last 18 months.

There will be several new things - a new Shamu show, a Surprise Squad distributing random prizes each day, new entertainment, new animal encounters. The website mentions those items but not any specifics.

There are already constructions walls in several places where the area is undergoing a change in anticipation for the 50th. There is a wall up right outside Cypress Bakery where something is going up. The little shop directly in front of the bakery is also currently closed and undergoing renovations. There is also a wall around most of Sea Garden, the area in front of the pizza and pasta buffet. And of course Shamu stadium is still under renovation.

There are also 50th sales on tickets, and a 50th drawing for a trip to the SeaWorld park of your choice.

I can't wait to hear some first-hand experiences from those who visit during the early part of the promotion. It sounds like fun and exciting times at Seaworld!

I will be there day 1. I took the day off work so I could be there the first day. I will be sure to report back on all the fun

Right now we are planning to do Sea World March 14-16 and then Busch Gardens Tampa March 21 (with a cruise in between). Do you think it's worth switching one of the SW days with BG so we can do SW on the 21st? Is the extras going to be worth the extra crowds?

As far as I know nothing extra special will be going on this day. Its just when the celebration starts. First access to see washed ashore art pieces, sea of surprise staff, more animal encounters etc. Not to many details have come out

It should also be when the prizes start being handed out, although there is no word I have seen on exactly what these prizes are or how many there are a day. So guess it also depends on how lucky you feel, if the chance of a prize is worth fighting the crowds.

We'll be in Orlando March 21st-31st and plan to spend a day or two over at Sea World. Looks like we chose a good week. Can't wait!

We will not be there until the first two weeks of May. I hope we can catch some of the excitement then.

We will not be there until the first two weeks of May. I hope we can catch some of the excitement then.

It is being billed as a year long event, so there should be lots of fun still happening in May :thumbsup2. I know I am expecting an extra-fun visit when we arrive in mid-August!!

The large sign by Cypress Bakery is now up, although it still has construction walls around it. Just guessing - it is probably at least 15 or 20 fee tall.

The merchandise is starting to spread out also - it definitely is in Wild Arctic and also in the Waterfront shops.

We are going on the 21st, had no idea it was a special day. I wonder how it will effect the crowds. We won't be going on any of the big rides like Manta but will do all the shows.
Can't change my plans at this point :(

Will the Shamu show be open by the 21st? Last I heard it was mid-April. If they had this 50th celebration planned you would think they would get the show opened up by then. We are going on 4/3. I haven't told the kids yet that the show is closed because I was hoping it would open up early.

Thanks!

Will the Shamu show be open by the 21st? Last I heard it was mid-April. If they had this 50th celebration planned you would think they would get the show opened up by then. We are going on 4/3. I haven't told the kids yet that the show is closed because I was hoping it would open up early.

Thanks!

Dine with Shamu is showing as accepting reservations for dates beginning April 14th. I would guess that One Ocean would be resuming about the same time.

Thanks!

You will love Shamu Up Close. So many people think its better than One Ocean. I personally was upset when i heard One Ocean was closing and now after my experience with Shamu up close I dont want One Ocean to come back.

Hoping SeaWorld finds someway to keep up close

Today was the day, was anyone else there?

The ceremony was held right in front of the sign that is now to the side of Cypress Bakery, so people were in the Village Square facing Manta. They started early with some video displays of various pictures and milestones. The colors were paraded and the National Anthem sang. I will have to verify who actually sang, it was not an employee but I did not catch her name. After that Terry Prather (Park President) said a few words, a display of animals were brought out, some fireworks, and it was over.

During the ceremony he did acknowledge several pass members who have been pass members since day 1. It is amazing to think someone could have had a pass for that long.

There were other things going on also. The parking lot attendants had costumes of various types, from through the years I believe. There was a band in front of the gates along with 2 stilt walkers. There was a special section set aside for pass members, but there were goodies for all (cupcakes). As you came into the park they had groups of people lined up representing each of the current shows welcoming you to the park. They also already had some Surprise Patrol people giving out gifts.

Everything seemed to go smooth and was warmly received. It was a little more low-key than I had initially imagined but it came off great.

Sounds fun! I wonder if the parking attendant will wear the various uniforms throughout the celebration. That would be nice to see. Do you know what the prize patrol was giving out?

There are also 50th sales on tickets, and a 50th drawing for a trip to the SeaWorld park of your choice.

I saw something about the sale of 50th anniversary tickets on their website but couldn't figure out what they were for. Do you know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter