• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread

Disney Mommy 3

DIS Veteran
Hello ladies!! (And any gentlemen interested!!) This is the 5th year for us to get together and talk about Christmas shopping--and all things holiday related!!!!
We are here to hash out what we want to get for our kids, spouses, in-laws & out-laws,....decorations, menu-planning, coupons, Christmas cards, Christmas music.....whatever is related to the holiday season!! We are 23 weeks and 2 days out--a little over 150 days...so,..for those of you who get paid on the 1st and 15th,have roughly 9-10 paydays left,--so start putting something back. I usually have my kids start making their official lists once mid- August rolls around, but my dd asked me last week if she could start hers now. SURE!! So,..i know she has some American Girl stuff she would like.My ds13,..he is the Lego man!! So, I know he has his eye on a coupe of big ones, but he is slowly outgrowing all the little stuff ( I think...as soon as I say that, he'll be into a new range!)..ds16 will be 17 right after Christmas-he is a tech guy, so no telling what he will ask for!
Me and dh are easy--so that won't be hard, just something small! Plus we are taking our annual family vaca in Nov again,..so that's part of our holiday time again this year!
So,..if you are interested in joining us from now until the big day,jump right in and start filling us in on what you buy, who you are buying for, and all that goes along with Holiday Season!!!

No real shopping yet but already gathering ideas. With summer stuff starting to be marked down I have a few thoughts. Also all the back to school dorm room stuff gives me some ideas for my girls. I will probably pick up a few things over the next few weeks if prices are decent. I don't like to get too much too early or spend too much too early because my kids often change their minds closer to Christmas. But a good deal is still a good deal so I'll indulge if I find one.

I need to get shopping. I have 2 sons to buy for and 6 other cousins and godchildren to buy for. I would like to buy something for my husband also.

Leslie

I officially started toy shopping last weekend. Kmart had the clearance toys an extra 50% off! Scored Lego's (pirartes of the carribean) for super cheap! We are going super slim on buying this year. With 4 kids it seems we end up with more and more stuff every year. Also trying to buy more "useful" things. Less toys that will get put in the corner and more books and family type stuff.

We have 4 kids and all have b-days in Aug, Nov and Dec. Our extended family also loves to buy for the kids. It's a lot of toys!:scared1: This year we are buying less and trying:
1. "Something you want, something you need, something you wear, something you read" from Mom & Dad
2. Santa's big gift
3. 3-4 small stocking items (candy, stickers, matchbox cars, etc)
4. A tree ornament and Christmas PJs each child's elf brings before Christmas Eve

I know Santa is thinking of the new Little People Disney castle, carriage, and figures for YDD, and the Toy Story toys may be on YDS's list. ;)

I am subscribing. Christmas is my favorite season! My girls 9 and 3 have already made their Christmas list. DD 9 wrote all of DD 3 list for her! I've been pinning like crazy for food/dessert ideas and gift Ideas for Coaches and neighbors and part of the family gift is we'll be spending time at Great Wolf Lodge but it will be a surprise for them:cheer2:

Shopping this year is going to be much easier.

DD1 gets a gift card or a gift basket for her and her BF.

DD2 gets a gift card or a gift basket.

DS is getting camping gear, as he is a Bear Cub Scout this year, and next June becomes a Webelo--which means mom doesn't have to camp with him anymore! He can have his own gear, and sleep with the guys! :woohoo: So the plan is a new 2 or 3 man tent (he currently has a 4 man, that he won for popcorn selling); a new sleeping bag w/removable liner; cooking gear of some sort (still researching those); and a good backpack.

DS will also get a pair of pjs from us (tradition); a few packages of Legos, and probably a video game or two, depending on what is out and what he's into. Some candy and small stocking stuffers (if Beyblades are still big, I'll get a few of those); we're talking about getting him an Ipod also.

Santa leaves a couple of family gifts, including movies or video games. Last year, it was a trip to WDW for March.

Everyone gets a new ornament, and I need to pick up a couple more, to make up for DD2's being off the tree. :sad1: They moved on with her.

DH and I don't really exchange gifts---he wants gun stuff or electronics, and since I really don't know much about them, he gets them and I mark them from us. I am pretty easy to buy for, and sometimes DH even gets it right. Even the year he bought me a coffeemaker. :rotfl:

No need to buy any wrapping paper, tags, lights or bows--I hit clearance sales again last year--got 10 or 15 rolls at .50 each; bags of bows for .25; lights were 75% off. Although, I still have 8 or 9 rolls from when we lived in Phoenix--back in 2002. :laughing: I bought 30 or so rolls at .10 each!

Hats off to you, early shoppers! I admire your organizational skills!

May I ask a question? For those of you with children to shop for, how do you know what they'll be into months before the holidays? My boys are 2 and 3 (2.5 and 3.5 at Christmas) and I am having trouble thinking of what they'd like 6 months from now. As an example, my oldest was VERY into Thomas around his birthday. He has now somewhat moved passed trains and is into pirates. Who knows if he will continue to like pirates around Christmas. I would love to be able to buy something for them now - hopefully while it's on clearance - but I'm worried that I'll get something and they'll be over it by the time Christmas comes around.

Hi guys!

Christmas is absolutely my favorite time of year :goodvibes I may be only a teenager, but I love to buy gifts for people. I wish there were more young kids in my family, because my toys is the most fun! Oh well, what can ya do? Anyways, I'm starting to keep my eye out for xmas gifts. I know for sure I want to get my sister something from Disney in October, since she won't be coming on this year's trip. Same with my dad. Not sure about friends and other family members though.

I have picked up a couple of things, but I need to get my lists started. Baby #2 is scheduled to come the day before Thanksgiving, so I hope to be as close to done shopping as I can be before then. :)

I'm so excited for Christmas this year! Creating lists was never a problem for our family because most of us use the wish list feature on Amazon. Makes it very easy to update if anyone changes their mind! Since we are planning a trip to Disney next September for my daughter's 5th birthday and my husband's 30th with about 15 other family members (yeah, you heard that right), most of the gifts this year will be Disney related and useful for our upcoming trip...super easy!!!

Welcome everybody!!! Seems like you have all had this on your mind already!! I love being finished with all my stuff early-plus with our vacation being around Thanksgiving time, and my oldest son's bday in December, it helps me to have things taken care of early.
ah1126~ Yes, you should definitely shop early!! Hope you find everything you need so that after the baby comes you can just rest and enjoy that new little blessing!!!

Yay. Thanks DisneyMommy for the thread. I need to start getting my lists together but it's been a crazy summer so far and I don't see it slowing down much.....between the AC going out in late June smack in he middle of he east coast het wave and it taking 9 days to get fixed and then losing power for 3 days after horrendous storms, DD's birthday, a quick weekend to NYC, a week in the Outer Banks ( where I am now), swim team and a trip to Florida in August, I am barely keeping it together :)

The only thing I know DD is getting is a white jewelry armoir. We redid her room over spring break and right now she's sharing mine, so she needs her own.

I look forward to getting some great ideas!

ah1126~ Yes, you should definitely shop early!! Hope you find everything you need so that after the baby comes you can just rest and enjoy that new little blessing!!!

Thank you! Thankfully my Mom will be here from the time the baby is born till almost New Years. :) She will be a huge help!

I can't wait to get great gift ideas from everyone!

Of course I know several other people having babies around the same time as I am, so I also have several baby gifts that I need too.

Yay. Thanks DisneyMommy for the thread. I need to start getting my lists together but it's been a crazy summer so far and I don't see it slowing down much.....between the AC going out in late June smack in he middle of he east coast het wave and it taking 9 days to get fixed and then losing power for 3 days after horrendous storms, DD's birthday, a quick weekend to NYC, a week in the Outer Banks ( where I am now), swim team and a trip to Florida in August, I am barely keeping it together :)

The only thing I know DD is getting is a white jewelry armoir. We redid her room over spring break and right now she's sharing mine, so she needs her own.

I look forward to getting some great ideas!

WOW! You are busy!! Well, at least you have one thing for sure you know about!! you will be able to think about it more after you settle down when summer ends! Enjoy your next few adventures!!!

Thank you! Thankfully my Mom will be here from the time the baby is born till almost New Years. :) She will be a huge help!

I can't wait to get great gift ideas from everyone!

Of course I know several other people having babies around the same time as I am, so I also have several baby gifts that I need too.

You are welcome!! Glad you have help coming for the holiday season-my first baby was early Dec--so I know how crazy it is with a newborn at Christmas time!

:welcome: to all of you--forgot to add that to my earlier post!! Hope y'all enjoy it on our little Holiday Thread! we are off to a great start!!

I have officially started Christmas shopping. For all the little girls in my family I was able to pick up lip gloss and purses on clearance. I only have 1 young boy to buy for and I am thinking a nerf gun, but we will see.

I also found my dad a nice shirt on clearance at Academy. And I bought 2 Mickey tumblers when the Disney store was having their sale.

Much more to do, but it is a start!

Christmas is my favorite time of year, so I am all in. :)

I loved this thread last year, lurked all season!!!! and got great ideas so thanks. This year we are "right sizing", pulling back on a lot of "we wants" and focusing more on blessing we have. DD with be 6 the end of the month and I want her to learn the value of money etc. So in that vein we will be making alot of gifts for friends and grandparents (who all need nothing). I am thinking of making apple butter (so very easy even if you aren't a Martha type) and baking bread. Also DD will craft something. For older nephews and nieces, good old gift cards.
DD is a horse back rider so, probably some things she needs for that and a couple of Barbie items and AG stuff. Like the idea of a bigger family gift, like a couple of days at Great Wolf lodge!
Also scored a beautiful top for $9 at Kohl's clearance this summer for my sister.
Can't wait to see all the ideas!!!

I came here specifically for looking for this thread--so I'm happy that I found it! Thanks for making it OP!

I have my spreadsheets for all of my Christmas shopping ready to go so I can just add stuff as we go. FSS11 just got a cell phone this year, but he got a wicked cheap hand-me-down one for the "trail period" so we are thinking if the next 5 months go well with it, we'll buy him a better phone. We do know that this Christmas will be considerably smaller than last year though, so it'll teach the kids that they won't always get iPods and iPads....I'm excited to see ideas for them all though! Christmas is my favorite time of year!

I bought my first Christmas gift (a sudoku rubix cube for FH) a couple weeks ago for his stocking--he loves those things and I didn't think I would find it again so I figured I would jump at the chance. My cousin sat there and made fun of me for shopping so early, but I don't care, we have a lot to shop for so spacing it out makes it hurt less budget-wise.

I tried to get the family Christmas picture taken yesterday (Shutterfly was offering a major discount) but my family would not cooperate -so they are all getting coal this year :rotfl2:

Thanks for starting this thread again this year. :santa:

I'm in. We've just moved to Alaska so are doing Alaskan gifts for family... I really want to cut back on what all we get the kids this year, especially since we'll be at Disney for a week a couple weeks prior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter