6 DCL Cruises, New to RC

Princess and Queen

Mouseketeer
Hello! I have done 6 DCL cruises, but new to Royal Caribbean. We have a Greek cruise planned for next summer. Is there a great place to read info about RCCL? I'm used to dealing with DCL, and there seem to be so many differences in booking. For example, non-refundable deposits and I can already book excursions. Thank you. I've learned so much on this board about DCL cruising. The RC board doesn't seem to be as busy.

Last edited:
Hello! I have done 6 DCL cruises, but ew to Royal Caribbean. We have a Grrek cruise planned for next summer. Is there a great place to read info about RC? I'm used to dealing with DCL, and there seem to be so many differences in booking. For example, non-refundable deposits and I can already book excursions. Thank you. I've learned so much on this board about DCL cruising. The RC board doesn't seem to be as busy.
RC has refundable deposits, you just need to screen for that (your fare will probably be a bit higher with those, however). Also, on RC, you will pay for your excursions up front, unlike DCL. Also, pay attention to your cancellation deadlines on those.

Hello! I have done 6 DCL cruises, but ew to Royal Caribbean. We have a Grrek cruise planned for next summer. Is there a great place to read info about RC? I'm used to dealing with DCL, and there seem to be so many differences in booking. For example, non-refundable deposits and I can already book excursions. Thank you. I've learned so much on this board about DCL cruising. The RC board doesn't seem to be as busy.
The Cruise Critic forums https://boards.cruisecritic.com/ are my initial go-to for any cruise line. They'll probably have a Roll Call for your specific cruise, too, since RCL is so big.

Cruise critic is the place I go for any non-Disney cruise.

Once signed in, you can search the Boards - click the word

IMG_4536.jpeg

General Information threads for the Company

IMG_4537.jpeg

Find a thread for your specific cruise

IMG_4538.jpeg

And information about various ports and excursions.

IMG_4539.jpeg

You are entering the world of the Royal Loyal. Much like Disney fans.

The biggest difference is there are a lot of repeat customers with lots of cruises under their belts. It can feel like being the new friend coming to a family picnic; they actually chat among friends.

Warning: they can display snark. More than you see here.

Just like a DCL cruise, you may want to check social media.

You can ask here, too.

There’s a Royal Caribbean Forum on these DISBoards, like one for DCL, WDW, …

Pre-paid excursions, drinks, specialty dining can be refunded before the specified date.

Watch for sales on these on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Some cruise fares can be adjusted down, too.

Pre-paid excursions, drinks, specialty dining can be refunded before the specified date.

Watch for sales on these on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Some cruise fares can be adjusted down, too.
Agree about Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. With Royal, kids under 12 can cruise free at certain times of year, as well.

Been on 17 DCL cruises and did a 7 night Greek Isle cruise on RCCL aboard Odyssey of the Seas last month. It was a fun ship. DS 15 and 13 had fun. DD 2 eeeh not so much. She loves to go swimming and was disappointed that they didn’t allow her to go to the pool. Was told it’s for 5 and above. She was only allowed in the water play area.

I booked the non-refundable deposits not expecting my parents would cancel and I did lose their deposits ($500 each). Cruise price fluctuates so i had to check every so often and was able to lower the price twice. I had to call and it was easy.

There are a lot to love at RCCL but I think it’s not for us. I tried to go with an open mind but it was really hard not to compare with DCL. We purchased the refreshment package looking forward to unlimited smoothies. There was no smoothies onboard. Only mocktails. I felt like we were nickle and dimed.

Will be boarding the Wonder tomorrow for an Alaska cruise to get my Disney fix and really looking forward to being in DCL again.

DD 2 eeeh not so much. She loves to go swimming and was disappointed that they didn’t allow her to go to the pool. Was told it’s for 5 and above. She was only allowed in the water play area.
On the Disney ships don't they need to be 3 and potty trained, so would have only been allowed in the water play area on DCL as well.

Been on 17 DCL cruises and did a 7 night Greek Isle cruise on RCCL aboard Odyssey of the Seas last month. It was a fun ship. DS 15 and 13 had fun. DD 2 eeeh not so much. She loves to go swimming and was disappointed that they didn’t allow her to go to the pool. Was told it’s for 5 and above. She was only allowed in the water play area.

I booked the non-refundable deposits not expecting my parents would cancel and I did lose their deposits ($500 each). Cruise price fluctuates so i had to check every so often and was able to lower the price twice. I had to call and it was easy.

There are a lot to love at RCCL but I think it’s not for us. I tried to go with an open mind but it was really hard not to compare with DCL. We purchased the refreshment package looking forward to unlimited smoothies. There was no smoothies onboard. Only mocktails. I felt like we were nickle and dimed.

Will be boarding the Wonder tomorrow for an Alaska cruise to get my Disney fix and really looking forward to being in DCL again.
Thank you so much for your feedback. It helps! I have teen daughters, so I think they'll like it. It does seem like there are a lot of additional charges. We ❤️ DCL, too. Alaska was a favorite cruise. I didn't realize I could get the cruise fare lowered. Thanks for the tip!

Hello! I have done 6 DCL cruises, but new to Royal Caribbean. We have a Greek cruise planned for next summer. Is there a great place to read info about RCCL? I'm used to dealing with DCL, and there seem to be so many differences in booking. For example, non-refundable deposits and I can already book excursions. Thank you. I've learned so much on this board about DCL cruising. The RC board doesn't seem to be as busy.
Which ship? We cruised RccL in Greece this Summer and it was by far my favorite cruise and ship. Food is NOT terrible as one poster stated it’s about the same as DCL. Food is subjective anyway.

I believe you can book a refundable deposit and then switch it to a non- refundable closer to PIF date. Don’t take my word on this I would clarify it with someone on the Royal forum.

We cruised on that ship this Summer. I liked it more than any of the Disney ships, but my kids are over 18 now.
How were you nickel and dimed ? People always say that, but I literally paid 7k less than a similar cruise on the Magic. The upcharges for activities like bumper cars which the Magic doesn’t have seem irrelevant.
DCL does not have a smoothie bar either.

DCL does not have a smoothie bar either
IIRC Frozone Treats on Fantasy and Dream sell smoothies, and I think there's a place on the Wonder too (not sure about the Magic, but it might be near the ice cream station). I think that Wheezy's Freezies on the Wish is only slushy type drinks or ones with ice cream, which I don't qualify technically as a smoothie. No idea how good any of them are; my homemade ones are made with tofu as I don't particularly like yoghurt-based smoothies.

IIRC Frozone Treats on Fantasy and Dream sell smoothies, and I think there's a place on the Wonder too (not sure about the Magic, but it might be near the ice cream station). I think that Wheezy's Freezies on the Wish is only slushy type drinks or ones with ice cream, which I don't qualify technically as a smoothie. No idea how good any of them are; my homemade ones are made with tofu as I don't particularly like yoghurt-based smoothies.
There’s a lot of variations of smoothies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter