• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

60,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate missing from a train

Sounds like a system issue. It’s not practical for typical thieves to steal that much
“The railcar was sealed when it left the Cheyenne facility, and the seals were still intact when it arrived in Saltdale. The initial assessment is that a leak through the bottom gate on the railcar may have developed in transit,” the spokesperson told KQED.

Apparently, things leak out of open gates on trains all the time. Considering this was fertilizer, it would be hard to find because it would get absorbed by the ground it fell on, wouldn't it?

Apparently, things leak out of open gates on trains all the time. Considering this was fertilizer, it would be hard to find because it would get absorbed by the ground it fell on, wouldn't it?
Correct:

“The fertilizer is designed for ground application and quick soil absorption,” Ms. South said. “If the loss resulted from a rail car leak over the course of transportation from origin to destination, the release should pose no risk to public health or the environment.”

It doesn't surprise me. Things fall off rail cars all the time. Sounds like it may have dispersed out from the bottom.

This is why I really oppose coal transport via rail. It pollutes both our air and water along the tracks. Wish more people cared about it.

Was considering it sounds like Oceans 11, what if the stuff never made it onto the train in the first place? That much has got to be valuable, I wonder how much it is worth?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter