• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$600 vs. $1300 unreal!

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Around eight years ago we brought my niece with us to Disney and CSR. My brother covered her expenses that came to $600. I am now calculating what my daughter's friend will need for our trip next year at CSR and 4 days in the parks. Around $1300!!
(same expenses except Genie+) This is insane and why we may never be back after this.

Is 1300 her portion just for park tickets or does she have to pay for part of the room? Does this 1300 also include her airfare? I guess I am looking for more information as to what the 1300 is actually for in detail?

Why not go off-site? Unless you have an ECV in the group nothing is really stopping you from going off-site and ride sharing in. If the gripe is due to the ticket cost and not the hotel there is not much hope there. Tickets have gotten quite expensive.

Why not go off-site? Unless you have an ECV in the group nothing is really stopping you from going off-site and ride sharing in. If the gripe is due to the ticket cost and not the hotel there is not much hope there. Tickets have gotten quite expensive.
It's most likely our last trip for a very long time or ever. I would like to end it at my favorite moderate resort. If I hadn't already had the tickets in my account we would be going elsewhere. Bonus- it's an extra $335 to use those tickets now.

Is 1300 her portion just for park tickets or does she have to pay for part of the room? Does this 1300 also include her airfare? I guess I am looking for more information as to what the 1300 is actually for in detail?
Her ticket, food, spending money and cost for Genie. Hopefully I am over budgeting.

Sounds about right. Approximately 325 per day and food costs depending upon whether you are doing sit down meals with reservations or all quick service. Park ticket prices are also subject to when you go. Have fun and enjoy but Disney is definitely not an inexpensive vacation

Yes, a WDW is more expensive than any amount of years ago!
As is every single thing out there.
My trips are farther apart now. What used to be every year or every other year has a 5 year gap and now a 2.5 year gap with the next one planned.

Yep. Disney is expensive now. We went for a 4 night trip using my DVC points for a 2 bedroom at BLT in March. Used some comp tickets and purchased some tickets. Added up the retail cost of those tickets, the cash cost of the BLT 2 bedroom, all our food and genie +/LL and it came to $15,000. Insane for 4 nights at Disney for 6 people. The cost of dinner at BOG was $500 - never eating there again.

It has gotten really high! And the cost of off site stays is exponentially higher. I used to get SkyAuction vouchers for $250/wk. Some deals were even cheaper! Those same stays are now $700/wk. I now use a different site to book for a variety of reasons, but it is more than double for a vacation stay for us now.

We got APs this year. FL weekday APs ($375 each after Target gift card deals) and we spend about $700/wk for a stay. We are planning to use the heck out of them this year and then take a year to go to Universal instead with their FL APs.

Over the years we have both stayed onsite @ Disney and offsite and enjoyed both just as much. The price for Disney properties is way too expensive for what you get. While a bit more convenient to be closer to the parks, it isn't worth what Disney now charges. We can vacation a lot of other places we enjoy more for less then 1/2 of what Disney costs. Parks are also way too crowded so you spend a LOT of time in long lines and can accomplish less then in the past. We have zero plans of returning anytime soon.

You can't even make the comparison to past cost anymore because nothing is the same anywhere. I've done that same thing and just shake my head. Current cost to take a Disney vacation is very high. It's sad what it takes to stay there now, but everything costs way more today.

The only thing you can compare is how much does it cost to vacation at Disney and what comparable vacation could you take somewhere else for the same amount? For our family, when we do that comparison, Disney does not come out on top. For the same money, we can get a better vacation elsewhere. No current plans to vacation at Disney, even though we would like to plan a future trip.

People will say to stay offsite, ride share, etc to save money at Disney. You can, but that isn't a true Disney vacation to us. Nothing beats being on property.

I'm right there with you. and it's heartbreaking. In the past I've gone every year, sometimes 2-3 times a year. I went back in may (solo), stayed offsite at airbnb and did 2 days in the parks. One day I went to Cocoa Beach. I hate to say it - but that'll be it for me this year. I just can't justify it. Like another poster stated - I can vacation elesewhere for A LOT less. Hopefully I can squeeze out one trip next year but that's debatable

I totally understand your frustration - and apologize for hijacking thread a bit, but I sure wish my auto and home insurance only doubled. They TRIPLED - and in just 2 years. Probably 700 to 800% over 8 years. (I don't even want to do that math. :scared1:) Going from 600 to 1300 in 8 years would be a bargain, compared to what I'm seeing around my area.

The cost of living is crazy today- from vacations to everyday necessities of life. We used to visit disney annually - we now do 1 halloween or holiday party every 4-6 years - just for nostalgia. But that's it - the cost/value equation has eroded so much, it no longer makes sense to visit. Especially with our paltry 2-3% annual work raises. :crazy2:

Last edited:
Over the years we have both stayed onsite @ Disney and offsite and enjoyed both just as much. The price for Disney properties is way too expensive for what you get. While a bit more convenient to be closer to the parks, it isn't worth what Disney now charges. We can vacation a lot of other places we enjoy more for less then 1/2 of what Disney costs. Parks are also way too crowded so you spend a LOT of time in long lines and can accomplish less then in the past. We have zero plans of returning anytime soon.

Disney just said this past 4th of July was the lowest attendance on that date in years. And pictures shown after show the parks are pretty darned quiet.

Sounds about right. Approximately 325 per day and food costs depending upon whether you are doing sit down meals with reservations or all quick service. Park ticket prices are also subject to when you go. Have fun and enjoy but Disney is definitely not an inexpensive vacation

I think you are over-budgeting by a bit. The ticket should be around $550.
580- ticket
200- spend
100- genie plus
450- food at Disney and on the road

I hope I am over budgeting, but I doubt it.

To add to this.

I just priced at 8 days at a deluxe resort via renting DVC points vs 3 night wish cruise and the cruise was more money. Lol made me question if I’ll go on a cruise again, but at least the food is included for 3 nights lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter