• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$600 vs. $1300 unreal!

I think your budget is on point. I budget $100 a day per person for food. I assume you’re including travel day food too.

$200 to spend for a teenage girl is on point. Well for my daughter anyway. Last trip I gave her $100 and she spent $100 of her own and that was with her making “tough” decisions. A spirit jersey is $75+ alone.

Well, a doubling of the price in 8 years isn't shocking to me.
By comparison, a McDouble just 3 years ago at McDonalds was $1.25. It's $3 now.
And a gallon of gas in 2015 was $2.59, today it's $4.97
I paid $2.87 a gallon last week, but I’m in Texas so gas is cheap.

580- ticket
200- spend
100- genie plus
450- food at Disney and on the road

I hope I am over budgeting, but I doubt it.
A few thoughts....
The cost of souvenirs at WDW is now pretty insane. Just, I'd give everyone a heads-up. Their $200 allowance might not buy much.

G+ might cost more, or might cost less, now that variable pricing is here. Odds are good though that there will be more changes to G+ before your trip. On the other hand, if you are not hopping you might not need it every day. By that, I mean we've used it, but now if I was just going to AK or Epcot, I would not buy it for either of those two parks, at least not we were planning to arrive for Early Entry. On the other hand, maybe possibly, I'd buy ILL for FoP instead. We usually do fine not buying any of other other ILL's, but you may feel otherwise.

We have also now - for ourselves- accepted a few compromises when it comes to WDW food. IMO, just as prices have skyrocketed, WDW food quality just is not what it once was either. We used to love Boma, on our most recent visit we splurged, and it was just not as good as it once was. We used to do a TS meal every day at WDW, plus QS breakfast and lunch. Every TS you are willing to swap for QS = a savings. Every QS you can swap for in-room snacks = a savings. Drinking water instead of soft drinks = a savings.

In the past year, we REALLY splurged, and did Cindy's Table, and the food was REALLY bad. Truly, the food at Satuli is better quality. WDW buffets are now $62.83 +tip per person (over age 9). That's both Crystal Palace and Boma's current price. Pecos Bills isn't phenomenal, but you can each get a platter/soft drink for about $17.50 there. So 4 people That's $251+tip vs. $70. Swapping one buffet for 1 QS should save over $200. Some of the newer QS have pretty good food.

Current WDW also favors getting up early/or staying late in the parks. In prior years, we didn't worry too much if we missed rope drop. These days, making Early Entry or staying late in HS = saving $22 per person over paying for Rise. In prior years, we didn't worry too much if breakfast took 90 minutes in the morning. These days, that early morning time really costs $$$.

If, you can- just one of your 4 days- live on something like granola bars for 4 hours instead of getting breakfast at the food court- you'll get to AK early AND save about $50.

Since you are driving, it also pays to pick up or pack a few groceries. Bonus for anything that is both shelf stable and healthy, because decent fruit/produce is now somewhat hard to find at WDW. Most of what they do have is often so-so quality. Fruits like tangerines, raisins, apples are great for WDW if you like any of those. Items like applesauce packets are also great.

We don't usually eat offsite mid-visit, but another way to save on food is swapping one on site meal for an offsite one. Another option is to do a mobile order from a WDW table service place, but bring it back to your hotel room to eat or find an outdoor table. (save on drinks.) On arrival night, we sometimes mobile order from CityWorks, and bring the food to our room to eat. Another inexpensive onsite option is Blaze pizza. Everyone gets to pick their own personal pizza toppings, and they are big enough we sometimes have a bit more than we can eat in one meal.

Last, look into picking up some discounted Disney gift cards before your trip. If you have a warehouse membership like Sam's Club or a Target credit card, you can save 4% to5% by buying Disney gift cards. If you participate in any grocery store gas rewards programs, sometimes they also offer bonus deals. The savings is indirect, but you can save a little off the cost of gas by buying (Disney) gift cards with bonus reward deals.

A few thoughts....
The cost of souvenirs at WDW is now pretty insane. Just, I'd give everyone a heads-up. Their $200 allowance might not buy much.

G+ might cost more, or might cost less, now that variable pricing is here. Odds are good though that there will be more changes to G+ before your trip. On the other hand, if you are not hopping you might not need it every day. By that, I mean we've used it, but now if I was just going to AK or Epcot, I would not buy it for either of those two parks, at least not we were planning to arrive for Early Entry. On the other hand, maybe possibly, I'd buy ILL for FoP instead. We usually do fine not buying any of other other ILL's, but you may feel otherwise.

We have also now - for ourselves- accepted a few compromises when it comes to WDW food. IMO, just as prices have skyrocketed, WDW food quality just is not what it once was either. We used to love Boma, on our most recent visit we splurged, and it was just not as good as it once was. We used to do a TS meal every day at WDW, plus QS breakfast and lunch. Every TS you are willing to swap for QS = a savings. Every QS you can swap for in-room snacks = a savings. Drinking water instead of soft drinks = a savings.

In the past year, we REALLY splurged, and did Cindy's Table, and the food was REALLY bad. Truly, the food at Satuli is better quality. WDW buffets are now $62.83 +tip per person (over age 9). That's both Crystal Palace and Boma's current price. Pecos Bills isn't phenomenal, but you can each get a platter/soft drink for about $17.50 there. So 4 people That's $251+tip vs. $70. Swapping one buffet for 1 QS should save over $200. Some of the newer QS have pretty good food.

Current WDW also favors getting up early/or staying late in the parks. In prior years, we didn't worry too much if we missed rope drop. These days, making Early Entry or staying late in HS = saving $22 per person over paying for Rise. In prior years, we didn't worry too much if breakfast took 90 minutes in the morning. These days, that early morning time really costs $$$.

If, you can- just one of your 4 days- live on something like granola bars for 4 hours instead of getting breakfast at the food court- you'll get to AK early AND save about $50.

Since you are driving, it also pays to pick up or pack a few groceries. Bonus for anything that is both shelf stable and healthy, because decent fruit/produce is now somewhat hard to find at WDW. Most of what they do have is often so-so quality. Fruits like tangerines, raisins, apples are great for WDW if you like any of those. Items like applesauce packets are also great.

We don't usually eat offsite mid-visit, but another way to save on food is swapping one on site meal for an offsite one. Another option is to do a mobile order from a WDW table service place, but bring it back to your hotel room to eat or find an outdoor table. (save on drinks.) On arrival night, we sometimes mobile order from CityWorks, and bring the food to our room to eat. Another inexpensive onsite option is Blaze pizza. Everyone gets to pick their own personal pizza toppings, and they are big enough we sometimes have a bit more than we can eat in one meal.

Last, look into picking up some discounted Disney gift cards before your trip. If you have a warehouse membership like Sam's Club or a Target credit card, you can save 4% to5% by buying Disney gift cards. If you participate in any grocery store gas rewards programs, sometimes they also offer bonus deals. The savings is indirect, but you can save a little off the cost of gas by buying (Disney) gift cards with bonus reward deals.
Thanks for the tips. Most of this I will be doing as well, and some cost will be variable too. Hopefully not on the north end.

Disney just said this past 4th of July was the lowest attendance on that date in years. And pictures shown after show the parks are pretty darned quiet.
I am kinda glad to hear this. I also read the same thing in the news somewhere recently. Maybe this will make them take a look at possibly cutting some prices. If people stop showing up, they will have to do something.

I am kinda glad to hear this. I also read the same thing in the news somewhere recently. Maybe this will make them take a look at possibly cutting some prices. If people stop showing up, they will have to do something.
True. That and the heat. The heat is not going anywhere in the summer and to have to pay out the yang too is a double dose of no for me!!

Parks are also way too crowded so you spend a LOT of time in long lines and can accomplish less then in the past.

You must have missed the latest media reports… Disney hasn’t been this empty in years & line wait times are way down. According to the media. Personally I’m still seeing crowded parks & same wait times as always.

You must have missed the latest media reports… Disney hasn’t been this empty in years & line wait times are way down. According to the media. Personally I’m still seeing crowded parks & same wait times as always.

In addition to making more person, raising of rates is also supposed to change demand (crowds of people in the parks). Disney wants the people that will spend more $$ to be the ones going. If even with lower crowds they are more profitable, you can bet prices will not go down.

The $450 food budget seems high to me, but I'm not sure how many days that covers, since "on the road" was included. My sister (we're both adults) and I often spend less than $100/day between us for food at WDW, all on-site.

The food budget can also be reduced by buying groceries and preparing some of your own food, especially breakfast.

There's nothing you can do about the ticket price.

Also, your resort stay might not cost as much as you're thinking it will since there have been discounts for almost every season lately. I realize that isn't part of the $1,300 estimate, but it is part of your overall budget.

In addition to making more person, raising of rates is also supposed to change demand (crowds of people in the parks). Disney wants the people that will spend more $$ to be the ones going. If even with lower crowds they are more profitable, you can bet prices will not go down.

Sorry, my post was a tongue in cheek reply to the PP saying it is too crowded. pointing out that despite media reports about empty parks, I don’t see that. Not commenting pricing. But I agree with you.

My DH and I average about $75-$100 per day each for food and beverage. We eat 1 TS ever other day but we also drink alcohol. I think that you'll save a bit on your food estimate, but you may have to pay more for G+.

do you just book reg resorts? or do you use DVC also? Or not have that anymore? Thought you did long ago?

do you just book reg resorts? or do you use DVC also? Or not have that anymore? Thought you did long ago?
Use to own DVC. Can't really rent those because of possible cancellation policies, wish I could. This girl invoice will not include any lodging cost, we got that.

Use to own DVC. Can't really rent those because of possible cancellation policies, wish I could. This girl invoice will not include any lodging cost, we got that.
have you found booking reg resorts is better than owning DVC? Just curious, hear all the time about people who buy in but never the opposite of selling and still going but paying as you go in reg resorts.

have you found booking reg resorts is better than owning DVC? Just curious, hear all the time about people who buy in but never the opposite of selling and still going but paying as you go in reg resorts.
If you bought DVC before the prices skyrocketed like they are now, you lucked out. Now, if you go direct, which I wouldn't, I don't know how long it would take to come out ahead. The direct pricing now is unfathomable to me.

If you bought DVC before the prices skyrocketed like they are now, you lucked out. Now, if you go direct, which I wouldn't, I don't know how long it would take to come out ahead. The direct pricing now is unfathomable to me.
no way direct! But I recall you buying when we did a while back ago, and wondering if you have continued to go and just stay at reg resorts do you find it just as good as when you had DVC? Guess thats what Im asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter