$600 vs. $1300 unreal!

no way direct! But I recall you buying when we did a while back ago, and wondering if you have continued to go and just stay at reg resorts do you find it just as good as when you had DVC? Guess thats what Im asking.
DVC is better. They are Deluxe resorts. (for the most part). You don't get the tour groups there. But I will say, CSR and POR are wonderful moderates. My Disney trips are coming to a close or a extremely slower pace after January. Even with the savings one can get with resale, the rest of the cost of things will contribute to skyrocket. I had rather take my money elsewhere.

Yep. Disney is expensive now. We went for a 4 night trip using my DVC points for a 2 bedroom at BLT in March. Used some comp tickets and purchased some tickets. Added up the retail cost of those tickets, the cash cost of the BLT 2 bedroom, all our food and genie +/LL and it came to $15,000. Insane for 4 nights at Disney for 6 people. The cost of dinner at BOG was $500 - never eating there again.

That's just nuts! We're going to Hawaii this fall (7 day cruise & 7 days post cruise on Kauai). With travel time we'll be gone for 2.5 weeks. We're spending less than $15k and that includes doing an excursion every day!

That's just nuts! We're going to Hawaii this fall (7 day cruise & 7 days post cruise on Kauai). With travel time we'll be gone for 2.5 weeks. We're spending less than $15k and that includes doing an excursion every day!
I just sent my kids to Kauai for a week. Their direct airfare from atlanta to Hawaii plus 2 hotel rooms was $6000. They paid for a rental car and food. The whole trip was probably $8000. And they enjoyed it much more than Disney.

We have sold almost all our DVC points and cruise now. I just booked 2 cat 4E cabins on the fantasy for January for $8000. Much better and cheaper than a Disney parks vacation!

Yep. Disney is expensive now. We went for a 4 night trip using my DVC points for a 2 bedroom at BLT in March. Used some comp tickets and purchased some tickets. Added up the retail cost of those tickets, the cash cost of the BLT 2 bedroom, all our food and genie +/LL and it came to $15,000. Insane for 4 nights at Disney for 6 people. The cost of dinner at BOG was $500 - never eating there again.
Definitely a YMMV type of expense here. I could see how season, flights and choice of lodging/dining and ticket type could really dictate trip expense. And of course, I think that there are ways to mitigate costs, Disney retail doesn't have to be $15K. We are a family of 4 and avg around $3-4K/trip all expenses included. Really just depends on how long we decide to stay. Our trip next month for 3 of us is ~$2500 with the discounts and that's mod resort, drive in, all food/souvenirs and travel/gas, 4 nights lodging/4 day tix. We drive, however, I realize that can be a HUGE expense depending on where people are from. Even if one paid retail/rack rate for lodging and bought non-discounted tickets, a group of 6 can stay at WDW for a lot less just based on lodging and dining choice alone. Disney can really be as affordable or expensive as one chooses. However, I think we all know it's never a cheap vacation and hasn't been for quite some time. :)

Same here. We have a 12 day trip abroad for 4 planned and it's less than $10K.

I just sent my kids to Kauai for a week. Their direct airfare from atlanta to Hawaii plus 2 hotel rooms was $6000. They paid for a rental car and food. The whole trip was probably $8000. And they enjoyed it much more than Disney.

We have sold almost all our DVC points and cruise now. I just booked 2 cat 4E cabins on the fantasy for January for $8000. Much better and cheaper than a Disney parks vacation!

I got a great deal on the cruise portion when I booked 3 years ago during the height of the shut down.

We haven't been to WDW since 2017 and that was a two night/three day add on to a cruise so DH could see Pandora (I wasn't making a special trip to see one thing). I started to get disappointed back in 2013, after being a frequent visitor (at least once per year and sometimes 2-3x a year). Last full trip was in 2015. Once I broke the "bubble" it's been easier and easier to not go back. We talked about doing a couple of days in Disneyland since we're flying through LAX, but when I priced it out it was about the same to spend another week in Kauai instead. We're starting to branch out into Europe and it's amazing to me that we can actually go to the countries in Epcot and spend a week to 10 days there for less than a week at WDW.

Around eight years ago we brought my niece with us to Disney and CSR. My brother covered her expenses that came to $600. I am now calculating what my daughter's friend will need for our trip next year at CSR and 4 days in the parks. Around $1300!!
(same expenses except Genie+) This is insane and why we may never be back after this.

580- ticket
200- spend
100- genie plus
450- food at Disney and on the road

I hope I am over budgeting, but I doubt it.

I would present this budget to your daughter's friends parents directly now. Let them make the decision if this is something they want to save for or not. This way if you want to ask another friend you have plenty of time.

For me personally I would thank you for the offer and decline. Not everyone travels the same with the same budgets, this looks like something the girl's family may not be comfortable with.

-----

I took a friend of my daughter with us on her graduation trip. She paid for her tickets and spending money or food if they split off from us. The hotel was no more with her going and I felt strongly that if I were booking table service or we were eating together at counter service then I paid for her food.

I would present this budget to your daughter's friends parents directly now. Let them make the decision if this is something they want to save for or not. This way if you want to ask another friend you have plenty of time.

For me personally I would thank you for the offer and decline. Not everyone travels the same with the same budgets, this looks like something the girl's family may not be comfortable with.

-----

I took a friend of my daughter with us on her graduation trip. She paid for her tickets and spending money or food if they split off from us. The hotel was no more with her going and I felt strongly that if I were booking table service or we were eating together at counter service then I paid for her food.
These people are loaded. They will not care. She has went on almost every trip so far. But ya, if I thought it was going to be an issue, I would do that now.

Then I apparently take low budget trips to WDW.
Same here! I didn't think we did anything that novel but we must. We usually don't eat a ton of sit down meals since we don't take super long trips and I think ADRs just suck up time. We may do 1-2/trip. I think we eat pretty well, we snack a good bit and we have occasional adult beverages. Our kids are teens so we don't buy a ton of souvenirs and we also don't buy G+ at epcot and AK, usually only MK and DHS and sometimes we skip it all together, just depends. Our drive is not super long but not that fast either, can take a half a day so we pack some food and snacks and may eat one cheapy meal on the road but we try to avoid most of the gross road food since 95 has some of the worst options outside of Buccees.

We have a 4 night trip planned in Aug for just me and my daughters and I have roughly $750 budgeted for food, G+, gas and misc expenses for the 3 of us. Mod hotel 4 nights= ~$900 and 4 day tix~$1200 with the 4 day magic deal right now. Sub $3K.

These people are loaded. They will not care. She has went on almost every trip so far. But ya, if I thought it was going to be an issue, I would do that now.
Sounds like they will be fine with it. :thumbsup2

Definitely a YMMV type of expense here. I could see how season, flights and choice of lodging/dining and ticket type could really dictate trip expense. And of course, I think that there are ways to mitigate costs, Disney retail doesn't have to be $15K. We are a family of 4 and avg around $3-4K/trip all expenses included. Really just depends on how long we decide to stay. Our trip next month for 3 of us is ~$2500 with the discounts and that's mod resort, drive in, all food/souvenirs and travel/gas, 4 nights lodging/4 day tix. We drive, however, I realize that can be a HUGE expense depending on where people are from. Even if one paid retail/rack rate for lodging and bought non-discounted tickets, a group of 6 can stay at WDW for a lot less just based on lodging and dining choice alone. Disney can really be as affordable or expensive as one chooses. However, I think we all know it's never a cheap vacation and hasn't been for quite some time. :)

Same here. We have a 12 day trip abroad for 4 planned and it's less than $10K
We didn’t actually spend $15K on a 4 day trip. That is the cash price of the BLT 2 bedroom and all the comp park hoppers we used. Plus the cost of our food - over $3000 and the cost of genie +/LL for 3 days - over $1200. We used to do cheap stays when our boys were smaller, but none of us wants to stay in a value or moderate resort anymore - we hate riding Disney buses. We hardly go to Disney anymore, so when we do, we go all out.

I feel your pain. We are heading down the first weekend in August for my uncle's celebration of life (he lived about an hour and a half north of WDW). Wanted to get my Disney fix since we'll have one extra day to spare. Guess I'll have get my fix at Disney Springs. I looked at ticket prices for that one Sunday. Close to $700 for 4 one day/one park tickets for MK or DHS. I'm not spending that much on ONE park day ($159/day for either of those parks). Universal for a 1 day/2 park was higher.

Ticket prices have just gotten out of hand for my family. We last went in June 2022 as a family and four 4-day park hoppers were over $2,000 for us. I just can't see paying that much for theme parks that I've done over and over. And we won't pay for Genie+. I haven't yet and don't intend to start.

I feel your pain. We are heading down the first weekend in August for my uncle's celebration of life (he lived about an hour and a half north of WDW). Wanted to get my Disney fix since we'll have one extra day to spare. Guess I'll have get my fix at Disney Springs. I looked at ticket prices for that one Sunday. Close to $700 for 4 one day/one park tickets for MK or DHS. I'm not spending that much on ONE park day ($159/day for either of those parks). Universal for a 1 day/2 park was higher.

Ticket prices have just gotten out of hand for my family. We last went in June 2022 as a family and four 4-day park hoppers were over $2,000 for us. I just can't see paying that much for theme parks that I've done over and over. And we won't pay for Genie+. I haven't yet and don't intend to start.
I agree with you. I wouldn't pay that much for one day either! That's how disney gets you to stay longer and therefore spend more for food, etc. I won't pay for D+either or any of the extras. It's hard to do it when you are used to FP being free and also having your daily ticket actually include everything. I've had enough of the nickle and diming, but there are many others to take my place.

I'm not sure where you live, but in Michigan a couple of different grocery stores have had deals on Disney gift cards. One store had where you purchased $150 on a gift card for $130. And another had where for every $50 you put on a gift card you got $10 back for use in store. It always pays to keep looking for gift card deals that you could then use to buy your park passes.

It is unreal. My salary has NOT gone up......neither has DH's.....

We never stay on property, we need space and can't get it on property. However, we used to get killer deals on condo rentals ($250/wk) through SkyAuction. Those days are gone. Even SkyAuction is at least $700/wk.

And we all know what entry tickets have become.....

We are heading down on Tuesday of this week and staying off site at Windsor Hills (3 bedroom) for $125/night (including taxes and fees). Not horrible, but not a killer deal either.

We do have FL Res. pixie passes ($375/each plus tax) so we are getting good use out of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter