$7.00 missing from room left on counter

I personally would have considered this stealing.

I know some hotels have QR codes for tips but unless there is a note specifying it is a tip or the guest had checked out, taking anything from the room that doesn't belong to the hotel is theft.

We request no housekeeping during our stay and it's surprising to me the amount of people who tip housekeeping daily. If the maid is extremely friendly, or we have specific requests for them, we might go to the bank so we can tip at the end of our stay, but we rarely carry cash since Covid.

IMO there needs to be a better system for tipping.

Many guests (including me) tip daily. The guest having checked out has no impact on tipping. And it shouldn't, as you may have a different housekeeper each day.

If I requested NO HOUSKEEPING and money was missing from my room, that is a totally different thing.

And at WDW you should always have a bit of cash on you. More than once I have gone up to purchase something from a kiosk, and they were cash only due to computer problems.

I know some hotels have QR codes for tips but unless there is a note specifying it is a tip or the guest had checked out, taking anything from the room that doesn't belong to the hotel is theft.

We request no housekeeping during our stay and it's surprising to me the amount of people who tip housekeeping daily. If the maid is extremely friendly, or we have specific requests for them, we might go to the bank so we can tip at the end of our stay, but we rarely carry cash since Covid.

The placement of the money was more the issue IMO.

If we had crumpled up money amongst receipts and kleenex on the desk far away from the door I don't think that should be considered tip money. I give this exact description because this is what happens from time to time with my husband. It's pretty clear the money isn't being left out for anyone but rather just money taken out of pockets or a bag. I'd still probably run the risk of it being mistaken as something else but the OP's scenario is pretty much on par with how one tips (especially without envelopes) for hotels so it's easily understandable why it was taken.

Also in truth I can't imagine it being worth your while to actually physically go to the bank in case of what you consider is good enough service to tip. That's a lot of work especially if one is out of town to do so. I can understand trying to break up a $20 for instance of cash already in your pocket by means of going to a cashier to do it but to actually go to an ATM or bank just to tip seems an odd way to travel IMO. We always carry some cash (usually my husband is the one that has that) but we never travel without some. Either there's tipping of some person, cash only ways of paying or some other reason. I think the days of needing to carry a ton of cash are long gone but to travel and not have any is just asking for issues.

I didn't see in the post that he actually got his money back. Poor CM who had to give up a tip. That's sad. And I didn't see he asked for any opinions about it either. Seemed like just a complaint post.
No, I doubt the actual employee had to relinquish the money. I would presume it was just part of operating expenses much like any other refund or credit that is provided.

I have read through all the comments. If you don't want your money taken, do not leave any out. That's just the bottom line. Mistakes happen - you might run out of the room late for something and leave it behind - but generally I leave nothing out but my suitcases. Anything I don't want a chance of being taken goes in the safe. Your personal stuff is in a room visited by strangers. Assume nothing.

The individuals employed by Walt Disney World would not risk their jobs to "steal" $7. As a matter of fact this is probably now an issue for the housekeeper that took the $7 rightfully believing it was a tip since it was reported to management. Furthermore, if this person had to resort to stealing $7 I will choose to believe a higher power is telling me they need it more than I do

Many guests (including me) tip daily. The guest having checked out has no impact on tipping. And it shouldn't, as you may have a different housekeeper each day.

If I requested NO HOUSKEEPING and money was missing from my room, that is a totally different thing.

And at WDW you should always have a bit of cash on you. More than once I have gone up to purchase something from a kiosk, and they were cash only due to computer problems.

Yup! I've been in the park several times when the systems were down and the only way to buy anything was with cash. Lesson learned. I always have my MB, at least one CC, my debit card, ID, health insurance cared and enough cash to purchase at least a QS meal water for my family/friends in case something goes awry. WDW may be a magical place, but it really is still the real world and sometimes emergencies happen.

The individuals employed by Walt Disney World would not risk their jobs to "steal" $7. As a matter of fact this is probably now an issue for the housekeeper that took the $7 rightfully believing it was a tip since it was reported to management. Furthermore, if this person had to resort to stealing $7 I will choose to believe a higher power is telling me they need it more than I do
I doubt that management even spoke to the housekeeper, this is such a non-issue (except with the OP), and that management probably gave back the $7 just to be rid of them.

Last edited:

Stealing how?! Its widely understood that money left in certain areas is intended to be a tip. The money in this situation WAS intended to be a tip just bad timing. Im not sure why you find it surprising that people tip daily, its not a lot of money, those people work hard and they appreciate the tip. You dont carry cash so it appears you dont go in with the intention to tip

In my everyday life here at home, I save all of my $5 and $1 bill between trips …… I never spend them. I usually end up taking around $200 each trip to be used exclusively for cast member tips. If I ask housekeeping to bring me up a blender, I give them $5. If I ask for an extra Pack ‘n Play …. $5. Last trip, I needed an extra 9 x13 baking pan …..$5. I always tip Bell services at least $20 for helping with bags. My goal is to give all of the tip money away by the end of the trip. View it as pixie dust.

As for the $7 tip that mousekeeping rightly assumed was theirs, in the big scope of things, you were able to stay at a deluxe resort (whether you’re an owner or not) and should be able to afford another tip on check-out day.

wow, tipping housekeeping is a widely accepted practice and in no way is stealing. I generally ask for no housekeeping also, but I leave a tip for housekeeping when I checkout. While I rarely use cash at home (except for the people playing music on the street when I go to the weekly farmer's market), I always carry cash when I travel - tips for bell services who hold my bags, housekeeping, the people who serve me food & drinks in the airport lounge.

When I leave a tip, I always leave it attached to a note with a paper clip. Nothing fancy, just a sheet from a note pad (like disney used to put in rooms grrrrr) saying THANK YOU.

But I can certainly see both sides, leaving the next day starting to pack, last swim, thinking about checkout and putting tip out early AND the CM sees small amount of cash, it must be a tip.

When I leave a tip, I always leave it attached to a note with a paper clip. Nothing fancy, just a sheet from a note pad (like disney used to put in rooms grrrrr) saying THANK YOU.

But I can certainly see both sides, leaving the next day starting to pack, last swim, thinking about checkout and putting tip out early AND the CM sees small amount of cash, it must be a tip.
I do something similar using a post it note. I write a brief thanks, stick half to the counter and the other half to the cash

Exactly We should all be complaining about needing a piece of paper & something to write with while in my Disney hotel room .
Universal Orlando Loews Resorts still has them available in every room .
And it simply makes me happy !

And just one more thing … let it go or it will stay with you forever…
Many years ago … I left money for daily housekeeping at Swan/Dolphin and the person that had the job of restocking those mini refrigerators took the tip because I happened to return before my room was cleaned and the money was gone . I was upset because I always tip housekeeping That is back breaking job making beds over&over … and I didn’t have any more cash .
So do you want to let it go or remember this forever? Haha
“Clean this memory out of my brain just sweep it anyway now! “

Last edited:
Mara Restaurant at Disney Animal Kingdom Kidani Village.
I have been going to Mara every year since I purchased DVC and that has been over 19 years. My family and myself enjoy the chicken salad there. Everyone remembers us each and every year we eat our salad at Mara's. This year i only recognize one person and the security employee that stands at the table where you go get your food. I got my salad sat at the table and my chicken was pink, so I mention it to this gentleman that was wandering out on the dining area. He said to me that chicken is cooked if you want I will bring you a thermometer. I was in shock I was told that. I brought it up to the kitchen and the same gentleman told me he had no way to cook it to make it fully cooked. I could not understand this issue. So I asked again he told me if you want custom service I should go eat at Jiko. I own a restaurant in Boston I was in total disbelief. My staff would never talk to a customer that way. I could not believe this was happening. The security lady that has been there for years also told me to speak to the top manager. The manager was in a meeting and I did not want my day to pass so I left. I did go to the Manager in KIdani he did have someone call me. Big Deal the man you was so disrespectful should be addressed and corrected to never speak to a customer that way. i am an elderly woman with my family. I was not eating at Mara because I could not afford a upscale restaurant. I was there because I love there salads. I will be back in Disney in December and will try again but no one should eat pink chicken. so Sad that happen to me. I guess there is first time for evey thing.

After reading through the thread, here is my take on it all.
There is NO WAY that I can even come close to seeing the OP's side in this and if they complained and got their $$ back, that is just plain pathetic. They put out a tip 24 hrs before mousekeeping, why??? Really, why would anyone put a tip out in the morning the day BEFORE they are checking out:confused: Plus, the "Light mousekeeping" is part of mousekeeping, they took out the trash and did a quick go through of the room, so why wouldn't they think the $$ left on the counter by the door wasn't for them? A lot of PP mentioned this goes under the "lessoned learned" category, but to me, this goes under the "use some common sense" category. Also, how about taking responsibility for it, instead of blaming everyone else.
A PP mentioned that they thought it was stealing... o_O :crazy:

While I rarely use cash at home (except for the people playing music on the street when I go to the weekly farmer's market), I always carry cash when I travel - tips for bell services who hold my bags, housekeeping, the people who serve me food & drinks in the airport lounge.

About a decade ago, here in NYC, the Chinese restaurants delivery guys banded together in a class action lawsuit. Many of the restaurants weren't handing over the tips if they were added onto the receipts via charge card. It amounted to hundreds to thousands of dollars each month a a single delivery person. The restaurant owners figured since the delivery guys could barely speak English, they'd never have recourse for their tips being stolen from them.

However, there is no law that says if one can't speak English, they can't enter into a lawsuit. They got a lawyer to represent all of them to get the money owed to them. :thumbsup2

Since that news story broke, I always make an effort to have cash on hand for tips and give it to the actual person, not an intermediary which may pocket it or give less than what I gave.

Yeah - Id tend to agree.

Ive had the exact opposite issue at many hotels - I leave a tip every day as there are always different people cleaning the room - and more often they don't even take it - maybe they expect it at the end IDK
I came to say this - I've had so many experiences where the tip wasn't taken. I finally just made a note that said "Thank you Housekeeping" and the tip is underneath. But I've had folks be very wary of taking anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter