$7.00 missing from room left on counter

What if I told you not wanting to be disturbed while on vacation used to be (and still is in most places) a part of normal life? That you’ve gotten used to it not being such does not change the oddity or futility of it. “Hey Frank, this guy is upset we opened the door while his kid was showering, he’s clearly a criminal!” That’s not normal and I refuse to ever accept it as such.
Then I'd avoid ANY hotel because they all have the same policy.

And I never said not wanting to allow them in while someone was showering was the problem. It was refusing to give them a time they can come back.

I have chosen to not accept it which is why our DVC is on the market. We prefer the Park Hyatt, Westin, Ritz, and private chains who don't invade our privacy.
Hate to break it to you, and I think I maybe already mentioned this upthread: all those chains also have legal access to your room at all times. Disney just makes more of a show of it. So, good luck.

And I never said not wanting to allow them in while someone was showering was the problem. It was refusing to give them a time they can come back.
I can't possibly know what other hotels policies are, but they definitely don't all have this same practice. DH & I travel for his job. We spend a minimum of 3 weeks out of the month in hotels & have spent four months straight on the road. I usually hang out in the room, while he's on the job sites. We always leave the Do Not Disturb (or whatever their version is) sign out. One of us changes out the towels at the front desk & takes out the trash. I make the bed. As recently as last week, we spent 7 nights in the same hotel without having housekeeping come in once. We stay in a variety of hotel brands, including independent & boutique hotels. None of them ever insist on coming in.

ETA: I just read bluezy's post on the previous page that stated they've had an experience similar to Disney's practice in other hotels. I'm definitely not trying to dispute their experience. We haven't had the same experience at Hilton & Marriott hotels, but individual hotels could have their own policies or enforce an existing policy that others choose to not follow.

Last edited:

I can't possibly know what other hotels policies are, but they definitely don't all have this same practice. DH & I travel for his job. We spend a minimum of 3 weeks out of the month in hotels & have spent four months straight on the road. I usually hang out in the room, while he's on the job sites. We always leave the Do Not Disturb (or whatever their version is) sign out. One of us changes out the towels at the front desk & takes out the trash. I make the bed. As recently as last week, we spent 7 nights in the same hotel without having housekeeping come in once. We stay in a variety of hotel brands, including independent & boutique hotels. None of them ever insist on coming in.

ETA: I just read bluezy's post on the previous page that stated they've had an experience similar to Disney's practice in other hotels. I'm definitely not trying to dispute their experience. We haven't had the same experience at Hilton & Marriott hotels, but individual hotels could have their own policies or enforce an existing policy that others choose to not follow.

You will only actually experience this in practice in larger cities/tourist destinations. We have personally experienced room checks at various hotels in the last several years. To include, Disney, NYC, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, & San Fran. It is absolutely the policy at most major chains, the implementation will be different and likely never seen in small town locations.

I cannot imagine leaving the DND up. We want our room serviced and often are left small gifts (fruit trays etc.) as well as just the basics, bed made, bathroom serviced etc.

You will only actually experience this in practice in larger cities/tourist destinations. We have personally experienced room checks at various hotels in the last several years. To include, Disney, NYC, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, & San Fran. It is absolutely the policy at most major chains, the implementation will be different and likely never seen in small town locations.

I cannot imagine leaving the DND up. We want our room serviced and often are left small gifts (fruit trays etc.) as well as just the basics, bed made, bathroom serviced etc.
We do have experience in major cities with his job, but none of those. As I said above, I don't question that it happens. It just isn't very common, IME.

When we're on vacation, we're usually out & about, so it's not an issue. Even then, I wouldn't be okay with someone trying to force their way in, when we were in the room. They're welcome to come, when we're not there.

For the bulk of our travel, I typically sleep in late, DH comes in to bring lunch, then I lounge around waiting for him to come back in for us to go out. Unfortunately, I have chronic health problems, so some days I'm not able to go out at all. I'll travel with him, when I have major flare-ups, but would cancel a vacation in that situation. I'm not paying to sit in the room all day. Anyway, our situation is more like someone insisting on coming into your home, if that makes sense. I realize it's their property. They can do anything they want, but it's more like a home away from home for us.

Room - or "Wellness" checks seem to be common now in NYC. We've had them a couple of times at two different places in the past few years while on vacation in Manhattan.

The first time it was hotel security; he was very nice and explained that they make it a policy to try to see the guest if the "Do Not Disturb" has been on for more than a day. I immediately asked "Overdoses"? And he replied, "Well, yes, but not just that".

Not sure if that's a motivating factor at Disney, but I'd bet ODs happen there a lot more frequently than child trafficking.

It is absolutely the policy at most major chains, the implementation will be different and likely never seen in small town locations.

I do believe that you’ve experienced it at hotels in these cities, but it flat out isn’t the policy at most major chains. Not only that, but it isn’t the policy at their sub-brands in their portfolio either. If you meant to say that many hoteliers in large touristy areas have their own policy, that may be the case, though my personal experience differs from yours. Marriott owns a tremendous share of the industry and with over 50+ stays a year I’ve never encountered it outside Disney, and even at the Dolphin they’ve never demanded a room check if I’ve kept the sign up all day (which happened when I was sick). Again, I believe it happened to you, I just don’t agree with your statement of how ubiquitous it is.

Ok, that’s absolutely not true. Disney employees are not FREQUENTLY arrested for the charges you state. That’s ridiculous. Have there been arrests? Yes, but it’s going a little to the extreme to say frequently. If you don’t like the policy, don’t stay in a Disney resort. Am I a fan of it? Not really, but I’m okay with it, too.
Thank you. Came to say it - but glad you got to it

We've traveled extensively over the past four years. This includes multiple resorts in Orlando at multiple different brands. We've never experienced room checks except when in DVC units. We pretty much leave the DND/Room Occupied sign on the door 100% of the time.

They don't though. While they have the right to enter the room, we have only found Disney actually does it. We don't travel to urban centers but we have been to Vegas. We are in the room the bulk of the day and no one comes knocking.

Their so called room checks are a joke BTW. I don't know what they are looking for, but they won't find much given how we have seen them to a "room check".

I once left a tip at the end of stay, left the room, then quickly returned to check something. A housekeeper was coming out and the tip was gone. I didn't really care but I wondered if people who don't clean the room sometimes get the tip just because they get there first.

I know the original post was September 8, 2023. My math says we approaching 7 month mark on the $7 thread.
My bad I guess I didn't have my glasses on. Carry on. The fact that it's only 7 months old makes it so much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter