7 day cruise and land ?

CoolMom02

Earning My Ears
We are planning on our first Disney cruise in June and want to do about 3-4 days at WDW too. Is it best to do it before cruise or after? And also does anyone know of how to get the best deal doing it this way? And in doing it this way, what's the best way to get to the cruise ship? Thanks for your input!

When we did our first Disney cruise we did the 4 day land/3 day sea and did WDW before our cruise. We figured with the rushing around WDW and the other parks we'd spend the time on the cruise to relax. What we found was that 3 days on the cruise wasn't nearly enough time so we booked the 7-day Eastern cruise. We loved it so much that we've booked the 7-day Western. We stayed at the Polynesian which was great. It was near WDW and the transportation center. We used Disney transfers to get to and from the ship. HTH

Hi, my family also did the 4 land/3 sea trip. It was great even though it rained on us most of the time! I did like having all of the hustle and bustle of the parks before we cruised so that we could relax on board. But I agree with Lisa that I would have loved the 4 days at sea. The reason we did it this way was because we didn't know how we would all do with motion sickness. I have a tendency to get very car sick and was afraid that if I was sick, that 4 days might seem very long. I was sick on the first night, but there was also a pretty big storm. The other days, I was fine. We've since booked just a 3-day to get another taste!
Another thing to take into consideration is if you have been to WDW before. We had gone in June 2001 for 5 days so we did only the things we really wanted to do again in June 2002. When we went the first time, we felt like we had missed out on somethings, like the waterparks and disney quest (great with all the rain). Since they were included in the 7 night package we got to see them all.

Lorie

CoolMom02-
DH and I are doing the land/sea package in December. We chose the 4 day land/3 day sea because I've never been to WDW so I thought the extra day in WDW would give us more time to see everything, plus I've never been on a cruise so, like musicgirl, I don't know how the motion sickness will be so the shorter cruise seemed to be the best option also. Also, like TootyJane did, we are using the Disney transfers for our package.

TootyJane-
I noticed you stayed at the Polynesian for your land part of the package. Do you mind me asking what building you were in and whether you had a lagoon view or garden view room? I was wondering what type of accommodations they provide there for the "cruise people". Thanks! :)

we're doing the seven day Western on Feb 15 followed by five days at WDW. We decided to do the parks after the cruise on the theory that the cruise is so relaxing that it would be really depressing to come straight home. So by going to the park afterward and pulling our hair out trying to get everything done that we want to do, we'll be more than ready to go home so we can rest. ;)

Just did 2 days at WDW, 7 day eastern & 1 more full day at WDW in September & it worked out great! If we had to choose, we would do WDW 1st and then the cruise.

Originally posted by InsanelyMickey
TootyJane-
I noticed you stayed at the Polynesian for your land part of the package. Do you mind me asking what building you were in and whether you had a lagoon view or garden view room? I was wondering what type of accommodations they provide there for the "cruise people". Thanks! :)

Well, we were there in May of 1999. We had I guess the garden view overlooking the large swimming pool. Room was 2 queens and 1 sofabed -- a little cramped for the 5 of us but it was only for one night. Room was very nice. I understand they have done a lot of renovating at the Poly since then. I would definitely go back to stay there again. Also, the Tonga Toast for breakfast is a must -- no need for syrup as it is sweet enough on its own! HTH

I'm new to these boards, but you guys are a source of great information. Thanks for all your input! We're thinking of staying at Yacht Club this time, heard it was wonderful. Last time we were there we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and loved it but want to try something new this time.

About the cruise...

We have the 4-day planned... I too wanted to test-the-waters so to speak. A full seven days did sound a bit long. But now, having researched all of this, and reading the Navigators on what all is available on the cruise - I don't know how we will be able to do everything we want in 4 days!!! I remember a recent thread on this subject, where nearly everyone said, "Three days is NOT enough" - "Four days are better" - and "We turned around and booked a seven day!". I decided that I would have to have to book at least a 4 day. On our sailing date, it was only a tiny bit more cost than the three day, too. How could I not!

Haven't been-there-done-that, but I would personally go to the Parks first. Saving that excitement of your first cruise for last. Also, after enjoying the cruise - especially with the last two days being pampered at Castaway Cay and At-sea - Then we will be able to go home without being frazzled from the Parks... Feeling like we have had a real break, a wonderful vacation, and maybe not needing a whole week to recuperate!

PS: Did you have a good TA for your previous Disney trip(s)? A good TA can make sure all of your arrangements work smoothly with the Parks and the Cruise. And may be able to save you a little by making the arrangements separately, using specials, etc.. instead of simply booking the package.

TootyJane-
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure what to expect for accommodations at the resort. (Not that I'm too concerned, I know I'll love the Polynesian no matter what room we're in.)

Thank you for the info :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter