7 Day Treasure vs. Back To Back Wish

sagosto

Mouseketeer
I've never been on DCL but DVC member and longtime Disney fan (I could go every 6 months). Family of 4 w/ 2 girls 7/10. I ship is important to us so we are considering the updated Wish/Treasure. Unfortunately, Wish is only 3-4 days but I prefer the theme of Wish better. Any negatives for back-to-back Wish?

I've never been on DCL but DVC member and longtime Disney fan (I could go every 6 months). Family of 4 w/ 2 girls 7/10. I ship is important to us so we are considering the updated Wish/Treasure. Unfortunately, Wish is only 3-4 days but I prefer the theme of Wish better. Any negatives for back-to-back Wish?
Biggest negative for me with a 3/4 night B2B vs 7 night cruise is the repetition on shows/activities on the B2B within a short period of time. And the getting up at dawn in the middle of the cruise for turn around day.

We did a 10 night/14 night B2B several years ago, and while there were repeats of the menus/shows from one to the other, the length of time between the repeated things wasn't as obvious as it was on our shorter B2B cruises we did.

Last edited:

Our priorities in booking a cruise are
1) Itinerary
2) length of cruise
3) cost
4) ship

Interesting. I am RCCL Diamond and ship is really important. I've been to tons of 'great' beaches and they are all the same and been to all of the major ports of call so itinerary isn't too important.

I’m struggling with this issue too. Been on many b2b cruises and mostly 7+ night cruises all on the fantasy. I’m booked on the 7 night treasure next April, but leaning to a b2b on the fantasy. It’s a 4/3 and the last 2 cruises out of PC before she leaves. While I’d like to try the treasure, there will be other cruises. The treasure cruise is going to the same old itinerary (st. Thomas/Tortola/castaway). Plus the price is $1200 higher than the b2b. I do have a great room, 4E booked on the treasure. But I do love the fantasy. She feels like home. The itinerary is Nassau, sea day, outlook and the 3 night is sea day and castaway and it’s her final cruise, we’re assuming. Ugh, just not sure which way to go.

For me the biggest downside of B2B is losing the morning the turnaround day when you have to disembark and reembark, as well as the repetitive shows and menus as described above.

Biggest advantages of B2B is two stops at castaway cay, plus being able to use repeat nights at Palo/Enchante or doing a lowkey dinner by the pool one night without feeling like you are missing out on any MDR meals.

Interesting. I am RCCL Diamond and ship is really important. I've been to tons of 'great' beaches and they are all the same and been to all of the major ports of call so itinerary isn't too important.
Ship is extremely important on Royal but rarely factors in to my decision on DCL.

I would do 7 night on the treasure. B2B on 3/4 is a big no for me. Repeat of the meals that close together is a huge negative. And the same shows each cruise. Not to mention the turnover day doesn’t really feel like a cruise day. 3/4 nighters are so rushed and I feel the quality of service is negatively affected on the short cruises.

Fantasy is my favorite ship. I also enjoy the Wish, just not as much as the Fantasy. I'd pick the 7-night Fantasy, as it'll likely have more exciting ports. Also, you 'lose' a chunk of the day on the day you disembark and reembark on a B2B. It's not that long, but it is a couple of hours so you have to factor that in as well.

For me the biggest downside of B2B is losing the morning the turnaround day when you have to disembark and reembark, as well as the repetitive shows and menus as described above.

Biggest advantages of B2B is two stops at castaway cay, plus being able to use repeat nights at Palo/Enchante or doing a lowkey dinner by the pool one night without feeling like you are missing out on any MDR meals.

The more I read about DCL, the more foreign it feels to me relative to RCCL. Is Castaway Cay desirable to go twice? RCCL islands are nice but not something I am really thrilled about (other than the ability to use my drink package).

Is there a beginner thread that I can read up on to educate myself? My broker does not book DCL so I was going to go with Costco as it was the cheapest price relative to CruiseCompete quotes.

Fantasy is my favorite ship. I also enjoy the Wish, just not as much as the Fantasy. I'd pick the 7-night Fantasy, as it'll likely have more exciting ports. Also, you 'lose' a chunk of the day on the day you disembark and reembark on a B2B. It's not that long, but it is a couple of hours so you have to factor that in as well.

Once the Treasure launches, the Fantasy won't be doing 7 night itineraries though. It's doing a mix of 4 and 5 night itineraries.

Once the Treasure launches, the Fantasy won't be doing 7 night itineraries though. It's doing a mix of 4 and 5 night itineraries.
Ah right, thanks for pointing that out. Not sure why I said Fantasy instead of Treasure. The rest of my post stands, though, as it's not ship specific.

The more I read about DCL, the more foreign it feels to me relative to RCCL. Is Castaway Cay desirable to go twice? RCCL islands are nice but not something I am really thrilled about (other than the ability to use my drink package).

Is there a beginner thread that I can read up on to educate myself? My broker does not book DCL so I was going to go with Costco as it was the cheapest price relative to CruiseCompete quotes.
Many people love the idea of a double-dip to Castaway Cay (CC). It's a pretty relaxing island, and food is included. There's fun things to do for families and also an adults-only beach. I'm not sure if there's a 'beginner' thread, but following this forum is a good start. If you have specific questions you can search to see if they've been answered recently, otherwise start a new thread and people here are happy to help answer.

There's also lots of YouTube videos that will give overviews of the ship, etc., if that's something that would help you.

And then probably spending some time in Europe.

I'm hearing the Fantasy is moving to Fort Lauderdale. I hope we find out soon. I’m ready to see the next release. Hoping it’s not while I’m on my March cruise.

Disney is different than Royal. Especially Castaway Cay v Perfect Day or Haiti.

Castaway Cay (CC) is very low-key. No big water slides or pool or big water features. No separate area for suite guests with its own beach and meal. There are two beach areas - on the dock side of the island is for all ages. The other side is for 18+ only. Loungers and umbrellas are free and fairly plentiful. A tram is available that takes most guests to the beach area (you can walk). Only one ship is ever there in a day. Yes, there are a few bars. Food options are limited to Family area (everyone) or Serenity Bay (18+). No free-standing food trucks or kiosks. No towel sign-out required. Take/ use all you need. Drop them off on the way back on the ship.

Onboard, no poolside activities like belly flop contests or games or live bands. The ship is pretty settled down around 11p/ midnight. Quick-service food may seem limited, too.

There is no push (and limited option) to buy specialty dining. Each ship has 1-2 adult restaurants. So no Ultimate Dining Package nor Drinks Packages offered. Bars are a la carte pricing. Not a lot of people standing around bars, drinking. There is probably more drinking at one if the festivals at EPCOT.

If you like a day at the beach, just being there, it’s great. If you want excitement, then two days could be a big yawn. I liken it to a family trip to the beach I might have taken in the 1960s. You play in the water, dig in the sand. Relax, read a book, eat lunch. They have some excursions (including stingrays right at the island), parasailing, a kids play area, bike, float, snorkel rental.). A few Disney shops, maybe 2 bars, bathrooms, lunch with soft serve and fountain Cokes, a floating water feature with small slides, and the option to run/walk a DIY 5K for a medal. (Plus about 25 cabana huts that are difficult to rent unless you are in a Concierge-level stateroom).

The adult beach, Serenity Bay, is my second favorite beach, to Trunk Bay in the USVI. It is shallow, clear, nearly waveless, usually warm. But not a snorkeling beach - just a few little silver fish.

IMG_4742.jpeg
Trunk Bay:
IMG_8456.jpeg

I would recommend waiting for the Treasure.

Second ships in a series often get tweaked to correct issues on the first one (nothing major - the ship build starts right after the first goes out).

While I expect the Menus in the Wish and Treasure to be similar or the same, the 7-night cruise will have 7 distinct nightly menus. Dining rooms with shows will not repeat that aspect, either. (No guest has to miss any menu or show if they eat in the MDR, thanks to their rotational dining and assigned table and time. You also should not have to miss the main show / entertainment in the Walt Disney Theater, as they build that venue large enough to handle the crowd in 2 seatings). There will be 7 nights of different entertainment on the longer cruise (15 night cruises get fresh menus and theater entertainment).

Other than repetition of menus, evening entertainment, Sail Away and Pirate Night parties, and daily activities, the biggest drawback is the turn-over day. Breakfast is rather rushed and limited. Guests are lined up, waiting for their group to be called to disembark.

Unlike some ports (San Juan, Barcelona, Vancouver, New Orleans), getting off the ship to do some sightseeing is not really an option. You are not within walking distance or public transportation of much that is compelling to see. Kennedy Space Center might benefit from more time than available.

Some guests utilize the pools or water rides onboard. Others enjoy drinking coffee and reading a book. The kids clubs will have Open House and registration after new guests board.

If you were older cruises, who just enjoy being on a ship, anywhere, these things might not matter. But with kids or being new, they seem to be a waste of a day.

The room stewards are also working in all the rooms to get them refreshed. The polite (requested) thing to do is to keep out of the cabin areas from 8:30 - 2ish. Maybe you are allowed in, but kindness would have you out of that area.

I'm hearing the Fantasy is moving to Fort Lauderdale. I hope we find out soon. I’m ready to see the next release. Hoping it’s not while I’m on my March cruise.
Perhaps, but the Dream and Magic are in FLL and PC (respectively) into June 2025, so that makes me think the Fantasy will be sent over to Europe for the summer months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter