• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7 night cruise themed nights...

katyringo

DIS Veteran
we booked on the March 2025 one way from Galveston to San Juan on the Magic. It will be our first Disney Cruise.

from reading around it seems we would have a semi-formal, formal, and pirate night.

This is gonna sound dumb- but what is the difference between semi formal and formal? Does the theme of the night change the expirence of the dinning rooms? Part of choosing the magic and the longer cruise was the dinning options....

Thanks!

we booked on the March 2025 one way from Galveston to San Juan on the Magic. It will be our first Disney Cruise.

from reading around it seems we would have a semi-formal, formal, and pirate night.

This is gonna sound dumb- but what is the difference between semi formal and formal? Does the theme of the night change the expirence of the dinning rooms? Part of choosing the magic and the longer cruise was the dinning options....

Thanks!
For the most part semi-formal and formal look about the same. I'm sure it (traditionally) might have had to do with whether there were tuxedos or such (formal) or not (semi-formal).

Personally I really like it when people dress up for those nights. But there are a lot of people who think "it's my vacation I'll dress as I like".

The "dress code" for the MDRs is really just "no swimwear at dinner". You'll see all manner of dress on any given night.

For semi formal I wear just a regular nice dress, husband wears dress pants and dress shirt.
For formal I wear a long straight gown or a little black dress, husband just adds a tie to his dress shirt with dress pants.
Pirate night I just do black capris, white tee, red sash, etc. husband just wears a pirate t shirt and jeans.
Other nights I wear pants/blouse, husband khakis and a polo.
We love to dress up because we don’t in our normal day to day. Don’t worry you will see everything from very casual to very dressed up.

For semi formal I wear just a regular nice dress, husband wears dress pants and dress shirt.
For formal I wear a long straight gown or a little black dress, husband just adds a tie to his dress shirt with dress pants.
Pirate night I just do black capris, white tee, red sash, etc. husband just wears a pirate t shirt and jeans.
Other nights I wear pants/blouse, husband khakis and a polo.
We love to dress up because we don’t in our normal day to day. Don’t worry you will see everything from very casual to very dressed up.
We like to dress up too. It adds to the experience! But either way, Disney isn't super strict about dress code as long as you didn't come straight from the pool.

We dress for dinner he same for all nights of the cruise except when going to Palo. The difference between semi-formal and formal night is for formal night there is a Captains reception before each dinner seating in the atrium with free drinks. Severs come through with a wine, beer, mixed drink and non-alcohol drink on their trays to pass out. You can have as many as you can "grab" during the reception. Formal night used to have the lobster menu but last cruise it was a different night. Not sure why.

The dining room does not change based on the attire of the day. You will get the regular rotation menu in all of the dining rooms, the pirate night menu, and usually the second standard menu the other 3 nights, as below. You can find the menus on Disneycruiselineblog.
I thought cruise dressing was going way more casual, but our last cruise, during the Silver Anniversary, had some very nice outfits. The ship officers wear their best uniforms.

Thanks!
Just got back from a 7 night. Definitely dress up for pirate night and any other themed nights you have (we had Pixar day at sea).

As for formal and semi-formal we just wore casual clothes and no one cares. As long as your dining experience doesn’t have any dress codes it’s not a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter