7 nights, 3 boys, 1 wild trip - AKL in May 2016 *COMPLETE!*

:jumping1:WL & AKL??? It's going to be an amazing trip. Times really ticking down now :cool1:

:jumping1:WL & AKL??? It's going to be an amazing trip. Times really ticking down now :cool1:

I know, right??? This is crazy since we've only stayed at Values up until now. And it's getting so close...but I'm not ready yet! Not a single thing packed! But getting started is on my to-do list for tomorrow.

14 days until DISNEY!

We're officially at the 2 weeks mark!

So that means it's time for my daily plans. I won't go into all of the detail I have on my spreadsheet because I think that would bore you and also maybe make you worry about my mental health since I tend to schedule every ride we will hit in order...with a time table. :rolleyes: But it makes me happy. And if Mama's happy, everybody's happy, right?

So our first day actually just got a little shake up thanks to some events that have transpired over the last 48 hours...

I'm not one to really complain unless I feel like I have a major grievance. I tend to let things go but in planning this trip, it felt like there were so many changes/closures/refurbishments that I need to say something to SOMEONE. So I emailed Guest Services and (politely) explained my disappointment over several things - altogether cancellation of Star Wars Weekends and uncertainty if Symphony in the Stars would be extended to May, refurbishment of our beloved Soarin', character meets taken away at both Hollywood Studios and Epcot, soft good refurbishment at AKL that we didn't know about until after we booked, and finally...Rivers of Light. The opening was announced and then recanted. It was so very disappointing after the big build up!

I sent my email off on Monday night and really didn't give it a second thought. I was just happy to have a place to vent all of my frustrations. Then I got a call back from a wonderful CM named Lindsey from Guest Services. She wanted to talk with me more about my frustrations and disappointments. We went over several of the points and I really felt like she HEARD me. :hug: I told her the two most disappointing points were Rivers of Light and not getting to see Symphony in the Stars. And then she said she wanted to spread a little pixie dust over our trip. Would we like extra FP+ for Toy Story Midway Mania? And maybe Star Tours too? Sure! :thumbsup2 That was really nice since those are two of our favorite rides at Hollywood Studios! Now, did I want any extra FP+ at MK? I actually said no to this since we have FP+ for everything we really want. She paused for a minute and said "you know what? I think you really do deserve to see Symphony in the Stars. You arrive on April 30th? I'm going to add 1-day base tickets for you so you can go to the park that night and see the fireworks." :eek:

I was really amazed and so, so happy! Nate was really disappointed that we would miss these fireworks since he is a huge Star Wars fan. And now we would get a chance to see them!! I thanked Lindsey - I appreciated the pixie dust, of course, but also the way she really listened to what I had to say. True Disney CM!

So now...what about our arrival day? Aren't we supposed to spend the evening swimming and relaxing? Now we have tickets to go to Hollywood Studios. So swimming or fireworks...or both? :confused3

To the Southwest app I went! I found a flight leaving 3 hours earlier for a lower price than our current flight! I called and changed our flights at no cost. 3 more hours at Disney, coming right up!

So now...our flight leaves at 9:45 and arrives at MCO at 12:00. We'll spend the night before at a Country Inn and Suites near the airport that I booked at a great rate that includes parking and a shuttle to the airport! :thumbsup2

We'll arrive at MCO and head to the Magical Express.

5A3FEFF3-2881-4FFB-A82E-02DC0D7A0F6F_zpsqqj25tji by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

And then get in this line for the first, and possibly only, time ever.

12990906_10153645049692297_4595429730218894381_n by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

We're going to Wilderness Lodge!

My plan has us arriving around 2 and then swimming right away. We will pack swim stuff in a carry on and change even if our room isn't ready at this point. I'm pretty excited about the pool!

off-load-5-1258 by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

The kids splash area looks really fun too! After we've had our fill of swimming, our room should be ready and we'll head up to change and rest for a bit. I think either Jim or I will go down to Roaring Fork and grab food for everyone to eat in the room.

Then it will be time to head over to Hollywood Studios! Symphony in the Stars is at 9:45 that night so we'll have plenty of time to get there. I'm not sure we'll be able to ride anything but just being in the park will be nice. We might check out the wait for Star Tours, look around Launch Bay, or see if we can meet Buzz and Woody. We'll claim a spot and maybe get something yummy for dessert and enjoy the amazing fireworks!

star-wars-symphony-in-stars-fireworks-00 by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

After the show, we'll head back to Wilderness Lodge and get everyone to bed before our first full park day and our move over to Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Well isn't that super special that they listened and were able to do something for you and your boys?! I am sure that it makes Guest Relations feel good that they were able to make an improvement on a lovely family's vacation in a rational way, instead of dealing with meltdowns (one of which I saw on my way home). So nice to see that everyone can be reasonable and respectful! And great bonus being able to get better cheaper flights!

I was really surprised and happy after my phone call with Guest Relations. The CMs must be dealing with lots of angry people and I'm sure not all of them are pleasant! And Nate is quite happy that he gets a chance to see the fireworks!

So nice that someone actually seemed to care! I'm waiting a bit to see what happens with our June trip but if things don't pan out, I'll be emailing as well. Not necessarily expecting anything but like you, just acknowledgement.

You are so close! Oh and I have a subscription to touring plans and for each of our 7 days, I have all the attractions scheduled and in order as well. I don't really think it's as unusual as you think!

Looking forward to more plans!

So nice that someone actually seemed to care! I'm waiting a bit to see what happens with our June trip but if things don't pan out, I'll be emailing as well. Not necessarily expecting anything but like you, just acknowledgement.

It did feel really nice to be heard when it has felt like Disney has not had much care for visitors concerns in the past few months. If things are still up in the air, I would email them as well because I think they do appreciate the feedback as long as it's constructive and not too harsh!

You are so close! Oh and I have a subscription to touring plans and for each of our 7 days, I have all the attractions scheduled and in order as well. I don't really think it's as unusual as you think!

I have Touring Plans as well but I'm not sure I quite get their whole day planner. I need to play around with it more because it always seems to put my day in a crazy order. But I'm glad there are others who enjoy planning as much as I do!

Looking forward to more plans!

Coming right up!

Day 1 Plans - 5/2 - Epcot

I'm going to label this Day 1 since that's how I have it worked out in my mind. Our "first" day will have involved a flight, check in and swim at Wilderness Lodge, and catching Symphony in the Stars at Hollywood Studios.

Our first full day will begin bright and early since we will need to bring everything downstairs to luggage services for transport over to AKL. Hopefully this is painless and relatively quick since I hope to be at Epcot for Rope Drop at 9.

If we make it early enough, my plan is to head over to meet Baymax. Next up will be Nemo and time to explore the aquariums. I really want to see the manatees on this trip so I want to make time to find them. Then comes our first FP+ for Turtle Talk at 10:15. I'm hoping the new show with Finding Dory characters is in place!

Next up we'll head over the The Land for lunch at Sunshine Seasons. We'll also try to ride Living with the Land (and find all the Hidden Mickey's) while we're here. The order will depend on the wait for Living with the Land when we arrive.

Next up will be some time to run and play at the Cactus Road Rally playground near Test Track! I think the boys will love this. Either Jim or I will hang out with Jake while the other takes Nate and Colin on Test Track for our FP+ at 1:00. We'll do Rider Swap and the boys will ride again.

My parents will be meeting us at Epcot sometime around 2:30. Their flight lands at MCO shortly after 11 so I'm guessing this is the earliest they can make it to us after heading to AKL on the Magical Express and then taking the bus over to Epcot. We'll meet them at Spaceship Earth and ride using our 2:00 FP+.

Next up we will head over to World Showcase via Friendship Boat to Morocco. We'll explore Japan, American Adventure, and Morocco for about 1.5 hours before heading to our ADR at Via Napoli at 4:55. I'm excited to try this! Any recommendations on what to order for 4 adults and 3 kids? Will 2 Mezzo Metros plus an appetizer or two be enough?

After dinner, we'll head back around the World Showcase and explore France, the UK, and Canada. We'll head back to AKL early this evening, hopefully making it back around 9 to unpack and settle into our room!

This has been super text heavy so I'll leave a few pictures of the boys from the past few weeks!

This is from Super Hero Reading Night at Nate's School. The "heroes" are a local group of college kids that do charity and community event. They were awesome!

Untitled by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

And this collage that shows two pictures taken exactly a week apart. Snowy and cold to warm and sunny in a week!

Untitled by Jamie Winfield, on Flickr

Thanks for following along - Hollywood Studios plans tomorrow!

Last edited:
I have Touring Plans as well but I'm not sure I quite get their whole day planner. I need to play around with it more because it always seems to put my day in a crazy order. But I'm glad there are others who enjoy planning as much as I do!

Yes, the trick there is to use the "evaluate" button and not the "optimize" button. Evaluate leaves things in the order you put them. Optimize moves stuff around. It might be worth letting it optimize once but then moving stuff to a better order and evaluating after that.

Coming right up!
Yay!

Day 1 sounds fun! I hope changing resorts is stress free! You probably already posted this but are you staying in a 2 bedroom with your parents? I'm doing this trip with my parents but without my hubs. Next trip is with the hubs but without parents, though DH wants them to come to help with the kids...lol. I told him we'll just book a kids' club one night. Oh and I mentioned this before but you may not remember but AKV is on the short list for June 2017 so I'm really paying attention to that!

Day 1 sounds fun! I hope changing resorts is stress free! You probably already posted this but are you staying in a 2 bedroom with your parents? I'm doing this trip with my parents but without my hubs. Next trip is with the hubs but without parents, though DH wants them to come to help with the kids...lol. I told him we'll just book a kids' club one night. Oh and I mentioned this before but you may not remember but AKV is on the short list for June 2017 so I'm really paying attention to that!

I'm not too worried about changing resorts...more about getting ourselves up and out of the room on time! Always a struggle for us!

Yes, we're doing a 2 bedroom villa with my parents. I'm excited for all of the space, kitchen, and washer/dryer! And we love having my parents come with us to help with the kids! It's really nice to have someone extra there to help when one of them needs a bathroom break or something!

Day 2 Plans - 5/2 - Hollywood Studios

Moving right along to our next park day!

This morning will begin bright and early as I hope to get Nate and Colin signed up for Jedi Training Academy. Jim and I will plan on getting to Hollywood Studios shortly before 8 to line up for JTA entrance. My parents will bring Jake along a little later since he is still too young to sign up.

Hopefully we'll get signed up with a time that works for us and then head over to the Launch Bay. Here we'll visit with Stormtroopers, Jawas, and hopefully at least Kylo Ren with our Disney Visa. Then it's over to use our TSMM FP+ at 10:15. We love this ride! Next we'll try to catch the Disney Jr. Live show. Jake especially loves this one!

After that, it will be over to Star Tours to use our 11:20 FP+. We'll need to use Rider Swap since Jake isn't tall enough for this ride yet. I hope we can catch Muppet Vision while we're in the area too if time allows.This is also one of the possible windows for JTA so I'm keeping it kind of open.

Our lunch ADR at Hollywood & Vine is at 12:40 (Fantasmic package) so we'll have that next and visit with our Disney Jr. favorites. I think we're going to try and see the 2:30 show of Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away after lunch so we'll get spots for that. After the show is over to Colin's favorite ride - Tower of Terror! We'll get a Rider Swap and also switch bands since Jim, Colin, and I are the only ones who like to ride this. I'm thinking we'll ride with our 2:20 FP+ first and then switch bands with the rest of our group. We'll save the Rider Swap pass to possibly use that evening.

We have a bonus FP+ for Star Tours scheduled at 3:20 but I'm not sure if we'll make it or not. We need to head back to AKL for a break at this point since we'll be out late with Fantasmic. We'll spend the break relaxing in the room/napping and head back to the AKL bus stop at 6:30. This is another window of time for a JTA sign up so our return time will depend on that as well.

We still have a bonus TSMM that we can use at any point during the day so we'll go ahead and use that when we arrive back at Hollywood Studios. If we have a Rider Swap pass from TOT we'll use this as well. Then my plan is to grab dinner from somewhere in Sunset Ranch Market and take it in to our Fantasmic seats. Fantasmic is at 9:00 this evening. We've never seen it so I'm excited!

So...Disney threw a wrench into my plans. Remember how Symphony in the Stars was scheduled to end April 30? Well they just extended it to select dates in May. So now Symphony in the Stars will be taking place at 9:45 on this evening. I know my parents will want to see it so we'll hustle out of Fantasmic to get a spot somewhere along Hollywood Boulevard or near Echo Lake.

My dilemma...do we still go see Symphony in the Stars on our arrival night? Part of me says, yes! Use those comped tickets and see the show. The other part of me says, if you'll see it another night...maybe skip it. It will mean a late night to start our trip and that time might be better spent swimming and relaxing at Wilderness Lodge.

So what would you do?
1. See Symphony in the Stars both nights?
2. Skip the first night in favor of sleep and see it the second night?

Thanks for following along - our first Magic Kingdom day is next!

Love all your daily plans!

Just checking in so you know I'm reading along!

No advise on the fireworks or the meal a via Napoli so I'm no help at all :(

2 weeks, I can't believe how soon it is!!

WOW! Sending that email really paid out! I am sure you were happy with the extra FP+ but getting an extra day ticket to see the fireworks at HS? AMAZING! I am so happy for you and your family! I'm glad you were able to talk to a CM that really understood your dissapointments!

Yay, I'm glad you were able to switch to an earlier flight at no cost! More Disney time!

What an exciting arrival day it will be! Are you able to make FP+ with your additional ticket? Maybe you can at least make some to have just in case!

Sounds like a great Epcot day!

Your HS day sounds great too. I didn't realize you guys have never seen Fantasmic! I think you all will love it :)

Hmm honestly, I would still go see Symphony in the Stars the first night! You guys have that comped ticket, you might as well use it! And it's a really amazing fireworks show, so I think you will enjoy seeing it twice!

AAAAHH!!! LOVE the pixie dust. That's amazing!!

I completely get where you're coming from with the struggle-what do we do about symphony in the stars? I think I would use the comped tix. wonder if they'll be coded somehow to indicate you're a "special" guest. I'd hate to miss out on any extra magic :)

I'm not too worried about changing resorts...more about getting ourselves up and out of the room on time! Always a struggle for us!

Yes, we're doing a 2 bedroom villa with my parents. I'm excited for all of the space, kitchen, and washer/dryer! And we love having my parents come with us to help with the kids! It's really nice to have someone extra there to help when one of them needs a bathroom break or something!
This trip, with my parents, my 2 boys, and me, we are doing a 1 bedroom! It will be so nice to have that space and yes, the washer and dryer!

Day 2 sounds great! About the comp ticket...does it have to be used on that day? Can you save it for another trip? If it is save-able, I might consider sticking with the original plan of resting/swimming the first day. If not, I'd probably use it.

Yes, the trick there is to use the "evaluate" button and not the "optimize" button. Evaluate leaves things in the order you put them. Optimize moves stuff around. It might be worth letting it optimize once but then moving stuff to a better order and evaluating after that.

I'll have to try that! I think I've been clicking Optimize each time.

Love all your daily plans!

Just checking in so you know I'm reading along!

No advise on the fireworks or the meal a via Napoli so I'm no help at all :(

Thanks for following along! I'm a little lost on Via Napoli since we're a mixed group of adults and kids...I think maybe one Mezzo Metro and one Large? Or 2 Mezzo Metros? Confusing!

2 weeks, I can't believe how soon it is!!

It's getting so close! And I still haven't started packing...

WOW! Sending that email really paid out! I am sure you were happy with the extra FP+ but getting an extra day ticket to see the fireworks at HS? AMAZING! I am so happy for you and your family! I'm glad you were able to talk to a CM that really understood your dissapointments!

It was really a true Disney moment. Reading in some of my other groups, CMs have been really great about trying to make up for some of the closures and delayed openings. I'm really happy with our little pixie dust!

Yay, I'm glad you were able to switch to an earlier flight at no cost! More Disney time!

It worked out really well! Time for swimming and fireworks!

What an exciting arrival day it will be! Are you able to make FP+ with your additional ticket? Maybe you can at least make some to have just in case!

I think I can make FP+ on my phone once I'm in the park. It's not linked to my MDE now, just at will call. So maybe we can grab something once we arrive!

Sounds like a great Epcot day!

I'm excited for Epcot! And we have 2 Epcot days this trip so I'm hoping for even more time to explore!

Your HS day sounds great too. I didn't realize you guys have never seen Fantasmic! I think you all will love it :)

Yes it will be our first time! It filled to capacity in October and we skipped it in favor of the Minnie's Holiday Dine in December. So I'm excited!

Hmm honestly, I would still go see Symphony in the Stars the first night! You guys have that comped ticket, you might as well use it! And it's a really amazing fireworks show, so I think you will enjoy seeing it twice!

I think we'll end up going unless the boys are exhausted. It might depend on the weather forecast too. But how can I pass up such a special moment?

AAAAHH!!! LOVE the pixie dust. That's amazing!!

It was a really special Disney moment! That CM was great and so understanding!

I completely get where you're coming from with the struggle-what do we do about symphony in the stars? I think I would use the comped tix. wonder if they'll be coded somehow to indicate you're a "special" guest. I'd hate to miss out on any extra magic :)

I think I'm leaning towards using the tickets but it will depend on how tired the boys are. And I didn't even think about extra magic!!

This trip, with my parents, my 2 boys, and me, we are doing a 1 bedroom! It will be so nice to have that space and yes, the washer and dryer!

I'm excited for the Villa! It will be a big change from the standard rooms we're used too.

Day 2 sounds great! About the comp ticket...does it have to be used on that day? Can you save it for another trip? If it is save-able, I might consider sticking with the original plan of resting/swimming the first day. If not, I'd probably use it.

I think it is a 1 day thing, linked just to April 30 but I'll have to check. Good idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter