7 yr old and stroller

perpetualplanner

DIS Veteran
I have 2 boys, 3 (turning 4 on trip) and 7, and am confused as to what to do strollerwise. Normally the 7 yr old walks at malls etc but he is a BIG DAWDLER!!!!! We are constantly having to turn around and tell him to walk PLEASE walk. His legs are almost as long as mine (he's very tall for his age and ok I'm short) but the 3 yr old keeps up better than he does. We're bringing a stroller for the 3 yr old but should we invest in a cheaper stroller for the 7 yr old. I got rid of my doube jogging stroller and sit-n-stand last year since we didn't use them anymore so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

IF we get a stroller for the 7 yr old what would you recommend?? He's 55 lbs and at least 53 inches tall. Most stollers I've seen won't cover his weight , his legs drag on the ground, or he looks like a pretzel folded up.

I'm not much of a stroller expert, but don't think you'll find much of anything in his weight range that isn't going to be pricey. I know of some double strollers which have a 100lb total weight limit, but again, you're talking $300 and up.

Just thought of something after I posted: depending on the type of stroller you have for your younger child, you might be able to attach a kiddyboard (or something similar) to it. It's a skateboard-like platform that attaches to the rear axel of the stroller. I'm not sure on weight limits of those, but it's worth a shot. I'll see if I can find you a link, unless someone beats me to it.

Edited to add the links: http://store.yahoo.com/dmart/kidboar20byl.html

This one has a 65 lb weight limit:
http://store.yahoo.com/dmart/bugboarbylas.html

I would suggest that you just rent one for your 7 yr old. My DD is also now 7, and although she doesn't use a stroller at home; I usually either rent one (or in the past, I've brought my own). Allison doesn't always need one for MGM or AK, but I always get one for Epcot and MK.

Its a lot of walking for their little feet, and besides, I like knowing where she is - usually, she plays with her Disney toys or the fan/mister.

Thanks for the replies. They actually have some on e-bay that I might try for. Has anyone ever used these?? How do you reach around them to push then - wouldn't they be in your way (again I'm short).

I don't have personal experience with these but have seen them on some strollers in the mall, etc... I would think it would work best if your stroller had telescoping handles or something like that.

I second the idea of renting when he needs one, maybe he'll surprise you and keep up! My dawdler is famous for speeding up when he *wants* to! Good luck with your decision!

I would too vote for renting when he needs it. If he is really tired he is going to want to sit not stand. The strollers at WDW would fit him just fine. I tried to talk my then 8 year old into one the night i wanted to stay at Epcot late. He refused but would have fit just fine.

Jordan's mom

If you do decide to rent from the parks, just make sure those strollers can accomodate his weight. If I remember correctly, one of the types there have only a 35 lb weight limit.

If you do decide to rent from the parks, just make sure those strollers can accomodate his weight. If I remember correctly, one of the types there have only a 35 lb weight limit.
Safari Steve (a MK CM) and several other CMs have posted at various times that WDW has several different sizes of strollers. The biggest ones can accomidate up to a small 12 year old. Just make sure to let them know you have a larger child when you rent.

I can bet your seven year old will never want to get into a stroller there. My daughter just turned five and the last two years she wouldn't sit in one and did fine in all the parks, including Epcot. By age seven I would think he would be too excited to ever sit down. Too much too look at it. Now, I totally understand the dawdler thing as my youngest is terrible! So don't think I'm not getting it. Your four year old might not ever want to sit in the stroller either, but I'd just plan on bringing an umbrella stroller and renting if you have to for the seven year old. Even with the umbrella you can "park" it somehwere and go back and get it. Just go buy a cheap one and you won't have to worry about it.

One thing -I'd make sure you explain to them both, especially the dawdler about getting lost and what to do. (Looking for a CM with a name badge.)

One thing -I'd make sure you explain to them both, expecially the dawdler about getting lost and what to do. (Looking for a CM with a name badge.)

LOL - He just got "lost" this morning in the bakery of the grocery store staring at ???. He's known since he was little what to do but will normally just panic and get upset. At least he WILL stay in one spot so we can always find him - and a CM would definately know he was lost and help him.

He's been getting the "talk" about having to keep up a lot lately using WDW as an example but as seen above I don't think it's helping. Maybe one of those "leash" things they have for preschoolers (I HATE THOSE).

We'll probably just rent a stroller there if he needs one. I just don't want to have to backtrack all the way back to stroller rental to do it.

I guess I should add also that the 7 yr old is asthmatic and has BAD allergies (as in gets shots). Hopefully he'll be ok there but we'll have inhalers JIC.

Didn't want people thinking we're spoiling him by not having/making him walk. :D

perpetualplanner-I don't think you are spoiling your son at all. Every child is different and the parents know their child best as far as their limitations and abilites.

My DS had terrible allergies and asthma also, so I can relate. :) Just returned from the allergist from his weekly shot routine, had to slog thru the aftermath of a bad ice storm but we did it!

I would just suggest you rent a double stoller at the parks. They are much easier to handle than two seperate ones and when the little one is ready for a nap he can stretch out. If you go to more than one park in a day just show your receipt and you don't have to pay again.

Just be sure to bring something to tie to it so you can identify it when you have to leave it for a ride.

Enjoy your trip!:bounce: :bounce:

I think we're either going to just bring a stroller for the younger one and the older one can sit at times while the younger walks. Or rent one on days we think he'll need it maybe MK or Epcot later in the trip. DH also volunteered to take extra breaks with him while the rest of us venture on.

cart-mom - Love your tag - I was woken up at least 5 times last night. Someday sleep will come!!??:D

There have been some posts about WDW not allowing jogging strollers with the big front wheels. Some people reported a few months ago that when they entered the parks, they were told they were not allowed, their stroller was stored for the day and they were given a WDW rental stroller to use. Some of the WDW rental strollers are joggers with a set of small swivel wheels on the front.

We just came back from WDW and did see people using the big wheel types though. They take much more space in the stroller parking than regular strollers and I guess there is concern about people tripping over or getting run into by the large wheel that sticks out so far in front. We didn't see that on our trip, but did notice that changing direction with them (even a little bit) looks like a pain since they are pretty much meant to go straight. To turn, you need to pop a wheelie with the front and put the weight onto the back wheels and lift/shift them in the direction you need to go; a bit of a workout just to turn. We noticed quite a few jogging stroller pushers almost getting run into since they have to slow down greatly or come to a stop whenever they needed to not be going straight. You may thinks you are not turning often, but there are a lot of times when you need to change direction quickly just a little bit to get around things/people, especially in crowds. The jogging strollers with 2 small swivel wheels in front would be much better for WDW. If you are thinking of taking a big wheel jogging stroller to WDW, you may want to check if your stroller has optional swivel wheels you can order or at least go on a walk where you try swerving around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter