• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the other funny thing about TLM. America is terrible and so incredibly racist, that is the current narrative correct? Well TLM did just fine in America, but did horrendously overseas. Sure seems like American's accepted the race swapping of the character better than all the other countries. That don't fit the narrative though does it?
Lots of countries have issues with racism.

Answer this question for me then. If these movies did incredibly well on Disney+, would there be no information out there stating that? That's insane, and you and I both know that if Disney had a massive streaming hit on their hands that they would have been publishing that data in every single entertainment rag that would be willing to publish it.

The silence tells you the truth here. If you had full theatrical releases on these there might have been a chance that they did better, but we don't know that. What we do know is that they were dumped on a streaming platform that loses money, and barely a word was uttered about them during that time.

I can't answer that becuase I DON'T KNOW. That's my whole point. Nobody knows.

Turning Red at the least has been present and not buried, so I think it probably did okay. I am not saying it was a mega-hit or anything.

I have worked extensively in Asia & China. My experience has been that China is significantly more racists than America is. The skin bleaching industry is a multi billion dollar industry in China. Most of their biggest stars have very light skin tones.

Disney literally changes movie posters to try and minimize diverse characters on marketing for China.

I can't answer that becuase I DON'T KNOW. That's my whole point. Nobody knows.

Turning Red at the least has been present and not buried, so I think it probably did okay. I am not saying it was a mega-hit or anything.
It was the 2nd most streamed movie in 2022 behind Encanto.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...-both-minority-white-households-202-rcna77475

https://www.thewrap.com/top-animated-movies-streaming-disney-plus-turning-red/

Why have the out of the sun character a darker skin tone, and not have Eric (in the sun) be the darker tone.
Be careful with what you say, I said the same thing in my review of the movie and it got me a reprimand and my thread removed.

Well, there's that. My understanding though it that Neilsen's streaming numbers are based on self-reported sampling, not anything official from the platforms. Still they are likely pretty close - Nielsen has been doing that for a long time.

Well, there's that. My understanding though it that Neilsen's streaming numbers are based on self-reported sampling, not anything official from the platforms. Still they are likely pretty close - Nielsen has been doing that for a long time.
The Parrot Analytics is supposedly more accurate. I think the point though is that Turning Red could've done well if it were allowed a theatrical release. But Disney keeps conditioning people to go to Disney+ or wait for Disney+. As we've both stated, that release window has got to change or every Pixar movie from here on out is going to fail.

The Parrot Analytics is supposedly more accurate. I think the point though is that Turning Red could've done well if it were allowed a theatrical release. But Disney keeps conditioning people to go to Disney+ or wait for Disney+. As we've both stated, that release window has got to change or every Pixar movie from here on out is going to fail.
That I 100% agree with. Need to fix the theatrical window and get budgets under control as the top two initiatives to get Pixar back on track.

This is an incredible example of how engaging in intersectional dynamics is a huge mistake for companies. Bud light would still be the #1 beer in America if they had not partnered with Mulvaney. Once again I have no problem with Mulvaney, but I can clearly see this was really stupid move for Bud Light to make if they want to maximize profits in America.
Where does this mentality stop though? Is it ok to have Chinese people in your ad if your demographic is primarily Caucasian? Is it ok to have a man in your add if your customers are primarily women?

Also, your entire post seems to think it's a foregone conclusion that partnering with Mulvaney was going to be a problem with their customers. Bud Light has supported the LGBTQ+ community in various ways for a long time but THIS time it's an issue... why? Because some extremists with an axe to grind made a big deal out of it.
Phrases I would like to never hear again: woke, culture war, alternative lifestyle, traditional family.
Add: race swaping

Where does this mentality stop though? Is it ok to have Chinese people in your ad if your demographic is primarily Caucasian? Is it ok to have a man in your add if your customers are primarily women?

Also, your entire post seems to think it's a foregone conclusion that partnering with Mulvaney was going to be a problem with their customers. Bud Light has supported the LGBTQ+ community in various ways for a long time but THIS time it's an issue... why? Because some extremists with an axe to grind made a big deal out of it.

Add: race swaping

Yes, I do 100% think it was a foregone conclusion the Mulvaney team up was a really bad idea for Bud Light. I think if you polled 1000 people in random middle of nowhere America 90%+ of the respondents would have told you this was a very risky paid partnership campaign for Bud Light. Bud Light is a blue collar regular joes beer, always has been. Bud Light drinkers are over 90% male and heavily weighted to 35+ in age. Yes, I think you could see this business misstep coming a mile away.

White Claw or Truly probably could have worked with Mulvaney.

All the sisters reflect the ocean they protect.

Eric is mentioned to have been adopted. He shipwrecked in that Caribbean island.

Thanks you for the spoiler tag-not clicking on it as I want to see the movie yet.

I totally get it, just as mentioned by a previous poster about the trailer.

Be careful with what you say, I said the same thing in my review of the movie and it got me a reprimand and my thread removed.

Got it thanks.

Need to see this one and Red.

Loved Luca and Alberto. :scratchin

Last edited:
Yes, I do 100% think it was a foregone conclusion the Mulvaney team up was a really bad idea for Bud Light. I think if you polled 1000 people in random middle of nowhere America 90%+ of the respondents would have told you this was a very risky paid partnership campaign for Bud Light. Bud Light is a blue collar regular joes beer, always has been. Bud Light drinkers are over 90% male and heavily weighted to 35+ in age. Yes, I think you could see this business misstep coming a mile away.

White Claw or Truly probably could have worked with Mulvaney.
I prefer brands that show they won’t tolerate that kind of hatred instead of being scared. For example, this was Ford’s response to a troll a couple years ago:

The Bud Light thing will pass like so many of these other boycotts. Chances are people will be drinking a different brand of beer owned by InBev in the meantime anyways.

I prefer brands that show they won’t tolerate that kind of hatred instead of being scared. For example, this was Ford’s response to a troll a couple years ago:

The Bud Light thing will pass like so many of these other boycotts. Chances are people will be drinking a different brand of beer owned by InBev in the meantime anyways.
They also did a "Men's Only Edition" ad. 😄

Perhaps Mulvaney was not the culture ripping event, but perhaps timing where everything has already bent the knee so Mulvaney was just the last one on, that tipped the boat. Question for Iger, does Disney move forward now by having bubbles appear above characters to identify characteristics so everyone can say 'see, people like me are in there too!' Which Pixar film will star veterans with drinking problems so I can tell my friends when to watch?

Perhaps Mulvaney was not the culture ripping event, but perhaps timing where everything has already bent the knee so Mulvaney was just the last one on, that tipped the boat. Question for Iger, does Disney move forward now by having bubbles appear above characters to identify characteristics so everyone can say 'see, people like me are in there too!' Which Pixar film will star veterans with drinking problems so I can tell my friends when to watch?
You could always send him an email. I'm sure he'd just respond with "okay boomer".

Perhaps this will pass. But I am old enough to remember when Schlitz was the second most popular beer in the U.S. They then had a disastrous add campaign that caused them to fall from 2nd to 4th. They never recovered and eventually were bought out by Stohs brewery. The public can be very fickled, and once you move from one beer to another (well heck, most just are a little hops and water) there is no turning back.

Perhaps this will pass. But I am old enough to remember when Schlitz was the second most popular beer in the U.S. They then had a disastrous add campaign that caused them to fall from 2nd to 4th. They never recovered and eventually were bought out by Stohs brewery. The public can be very fickled, and once you move from one beer to another (well heck, most just are a little hops and water) there is no turning back.
Ultimately this is what it came down to. Bud light was really easy to exchange for another light watery beer that cost almost the same. It was a really easy change for consumers to make when they felt disenfranchised by their old brand. When you have an easily replaceable product in the market, you probably don't need to do things that can alienate you from a significant portion of your customer base.

ESPN can go as wild and crazy as they want to, but if you love college football you are stuck watching your team on their network. This is no viable alternative at a comparable price, so a boycott would likely never work for ESPN. It's simply not easily replaceable.

Disney can go pretty wild and crazy as well, as I really have no other choice to get my Star Wars fan fix. However, for some people there is a point at which they no longer trust Disney to entertain them and their kids without feeling an left leaning political agenda is being crammed down their throats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter