• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7DMT for chickens (vs. log flume)

kjmollypup

Imagine a place where nothing is impossible
Okay, I've done a lot of searching, but I'm not coming up with a definitive answer.

I'm a thrill ride chicken. I have never been on any type of coaster. I went on POTC as a five year old and that tiny first drop ruined me for life. I relaxed a little growing up and enjoyed a few things, like the teacups and log flumes. As an adult, I stopped riding rides completely, and it's probably been like 20 years since I have. I get motion sick at the drop of a hat.

And then I had kids. My husband has mostly dealt with the duty of taking them on rides, but I decided on a recent trip to an amusement park that needed to prepare myself for Disney. So I went on the log flume, where the big drop measures about half the height of the largest drop on Splash Mountain. I came off the ride shaking and knew at that moment that Splash wouldn't be happening for me. I still made FP+ for it, since we have a large group going and others can ride in my place, but I'm definitely sad I won't be sharing in that experience.

I also made FP+ for 7DMT. To be blunt, it looks like fun! :thumbsup2But I thought the same thing about that log flume...and I get extremely anxious about things. I guess my question is, are the turns and drops on 7DMT more like driving a car up and down on hills? Or like the drop on the log flume? I seriously felt like I was falling to my death on that log flume. I do NOT want to repeat that, or go on something where I will freak out so much that it scares my kids too. (Neither of them noticed on the log flume.)

It is much milder than splash mountain. Now I love all the rides at Disney but several moms and I just took a group of 12 year old girls to Disney and the ones that don't like coasters did like 7DMT. Some refused to ride splash again but all rode 7D more than once. And the thrill seekers found it cute but too mild. And it's short, very short. So if you hate it, you will be off as quickly as you got on.

It is mild and very smooth. Just ride it during the day and it will feel tamer to you. My child who hates roller coasters and will never go on splash again, will ride the mine train without complaint.

I am a ride chicken also and won't do splash due to the drop. I did do Big thunder mountain years ago and got off of it and felt very shaky and anxious. It was very fast and went up and down continuously. I wouldn't do that one ever again either. I do love POC, the drop isn't that bad and it's only once and the rest of the ride is very tame. We are going in Aug/Sept and I am unsure about doing 7DMT. It's tough being a ride chicken.:laughing:

I wont go on Splash and I love 7Dmt. It is intense but in a fun way. I get very motion sick and had no problem on 7DMT. I was VERY nervous beforehand but it was great. THere are no drops on 7DMT even close to how you feel on Splash. There are little drops, but nothing that puts your stomach in your throat at all. It is really fun. And I am a BIG CHICKEN.

7 DMT was built to be more of a kiddie ride. It's very smooth, but if you get motion sick- the carts do swing (gently) side to side. The "drop" are more like rolling hills.

I am a huge ride chicken! I will not ride the log flume or splash mt because of the drops. As for POTC I hate the drop! DH makes fun of me because I call it a drop and he says it is only a dip. As for 7dmt I LOVED it! Rode it 7 times in Nov. and our 4yr old did too. There are no really long drops. When in the mine what looks like you are going to have a big drop after going up the hill ends up being 2 little ones. Plus it is so smooth. I'm proud to say I even held my hands up . Give it a try if you don't like it just remember it is a very short ride and will be over fast.

Previous trips I could barely bear to ride BMTRR and 7DMT. Even POC, bothered me. Actually, it still bothers me a bit. I think it's because there are no bars or seat belts. I always feel like I'm going to fall into that mucky water. Last trip though, they all bothered me less. I even got off 7DMT thinking "that was it?"

The drops on 7DMT are pretty mild and they turn at the end. None of them are the big "I can see myself falling to my death" kind of long, straight drops. I also barely notice the side-to-side swaying, which would be fun. I would just try it. I think some of these things you have to build up a tolerance sometimes and take long, deep, relaxing breaths. Good luck. I hope you enjoy it.

I consider myself a non-roller coaster and DEFINITELY non drop person. I love Splash, but hate that big hill. Did it 5 times on this last trip and it never got easier. I survived RRC and TOT and would do them again because I didn't die. haha. I love Thunder and Space. 7 Dwarves is tame but there are enough twisty parts and little drops that if you get queasy easily, just take a Dramamine a few hours before and you'll be fine. That's what I did before DHS when I knew that I was going to do RRC and TOT which are 2 things COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone. Do it so you can have the experience with your family. I had my son do EE by himself and I committed the rest of the trip to not have him ride anything alone, thus the reason I suffered through RRC and TOT and I was terrified of trying Space but it was fine.

I am a ride chicken. I do not ride Splash Mountain and have to brace myself for the tiny drop on Pirates of the Caribbean. I love 7 Dwarfs Mine Train! At first I would always request to ride in the front which is less wild, but now I ride anywhere on the train and really enjoy it. Never that big drop feeling, more like driving fast over hills. On Big Thunder I still only ride in the front which makes us only go fast down part of the hills because we are waiting for the back of the train to start down the hill before the train starts going fast. I don't ride any other roller coasters.

At first I would always request to ride in the front which is less wild

I didn't know this was a thing but it is totally true. My first ride I was in the front and it was great, my second ride I was in the last car and I remember coming off it saying, "well that was faster than I remembered it." Still fun and no problem for a chicken like me, but I would go up front if you are worried.

Thanks all, great advice and I'm feeling less worried. I thought about taking a Dramamine but even the non-drowsy puts me out completely within 6 hours, lol. Thinking about trying Bonine as I've heard good things. Regardless, I will request to sit up front and try to enjoy! I don't want to miss out on everything!!

It's very smooth! I get motion sickness on lots of rides but never on that one! Enjoy!

I am a ride chicken too. I rode it last fall, and I was in very front car. It was fine. When you go down a hill, you will think it's gonna go fast. But it slows down going down the hills. I would give it s try, it's not a long ride.

I'm a ride chicken. I don't do Space, EE or RNR. Or Barnstormer for that matter! 7DMT is thrilling but in a fun way. It's not like driving a car up and down hills. The first time may surprise you if you are expecting a boring kiddie coaster, but speaking as a ride chicken myself, the intensity is easy to handle and the ride is kind of short. I didn't come off the ride thinking never again (I'm looking at you TOT). I agree with other posters, ride in the front and ride during the day. Subsequent rides on 7DMT were fun and I had no trouble riding in the back (weee!). I think it might be my fave ride, with Test Track a close second.

The first time on Splash I thought never again but my kids begged and I did it again. It was better. Each time I rode it, it got better. I knew the drop was coming, braced myself and took a deep breath going over the crest.

Same with Big Thunder. First time, omg, never again, but after a few times it became fun. Same deal - ride during the day, ride in front and brace yourself. After a few runs, I rode in the back and had fun. This ride is very rough and feels wild. It's right at the limit of what I consider fun thrill and scary thrill. (I know, bok bok bok) :)

Last edited:
I agree with asking for the front car on 7DMT. Basically the car will go very slowly down the drops and won't release until the last car is at the top. By that time, you are already half way down the hill. Way too tame for me! But great for someone who doesn't really like coasters!

Question about Splash ... is there a lap bar or do you just sit in the log and hope you don't fall out?

I'm a total chicken and I know I won't be going on this one, but DH wants to take the kiddos on it ... trying to prep myself not to have a heart attack if they go on it.

There is a bar on splash. I never fill as though I am coming out of the seat.

I did 7dmt for the first time this summer. I am the type of person who gets motion sick but everyone had said what a great family ride it was, so smooth, etc. From other posts it looks like I am the exception but I absolutely hated it. I thought it was way too fast and swoopy. I kept thinking to myself it's got to be over soon! I felt sick for a while afterwards.

To make it worse, it was our first ride of the day and I had talked it up to my very ride-wary 5 year old. He was so scared by the quick twists and drops that he refused to go on anything remotely scary for the rest of the day.

I have no problem with splash M, probably because it's mostly slow. But I definitely turned down the chance to use the rider swap to go on 7dmt later that day.

But rides are so individual, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it won't become your favorite.

There is a bar on splash. I never fill as though I am coming out of the seat.

Thanks! It's usually too cold to do Splash when we are there, but it'll be warm, so DH and the kids want to do it. I couldn't tell about the bar, so I thought I'd better ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter