7th Annual Christmas Thread

Disney Mommy 3

DIS Veteran
Hey friends! It's that time again!! I just wrote out a long intro post and yep…it vanished! Have NO clue what happened there. So… just to get us going I will make it shorter! LOL!
For my family, Christmas is a time to focus on the miracle of the birth and coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know that there are some that don't believe the same way, and that's ok, but lets remember to be respectful and that for many of us it's the basis of why we celebrate the Holiday season!
We discuss Thanksgiving too!! it's usually all about the food with that!!! We can discuss it all~the food, decor, gift ideas, hard-to-deal-with family and how to handle all the seasons stressors!
So… lets get started with see how long we have to go!

19 WEEKS and 2 DAYS……..135 DAYS

Yay!

My kids, at 10 YO and going into 5th grade, are just about done with toys as gifts. DS still likes Legos, but will probably just get a little bit of them. Disney Infinity 2.0 is on his Santa list. DD is going to be hard. She is really more into clothes than toys, so I am not sure what will be on her Santa list.

I am also starting to think ahead for DN 21. He will graduate from college in May 2015. Last Christmas he had moved off campus, so his gifts included a GC for the local grocery store. I am trying to think of "first apartment" type gifts for him.

Looking forward to everyone's ideas and plans! :thumbsup2

Hi Sarah!! I hear ya…my dd11 struggled with wanting any toys last year. We got a couple of things to go with her Gotz doll. For her bday in the Spring we got a really nice VB backpack…she used it a lot for taking clothes to dance. She had 4 classes so it was very handy! It wasn't as cumbersome as her regular dance bag. My 15 yo son still gets LEGO with his stuff…not sure if he will want one this year or not~ we just moved to a town that has a LEGO store in the mall so he gets more to choose from of course, than what they offer at Target/WalMart. Older son will be at college, and he will want clothes or stuff to 'live on'! LOL.
Good idea on the gift ideas for your nephew. Gas,grocery, and eat-out GCs I know are always appreciated!!

Hello! It's hard to believe it is time to start thinking about Christmas! I have a DS who will have just turned 2 and a DD who will almost be 5. My parents are moving down today, so the whole family will be here for Christmas!! We try to stick to 3 gifts (1 from Santa, 2 from Mom and Dad) for each of the kids tying in that Baby Jesus got 3 gifts. Then the kids will buy something for each other.

Legos are always a big hit around here. My brother will be 38 this Christmas and he gets at least a small set pretty much every year. :)

YAY! I've been waiting for this thread to start. I dropped out of "sight" last year when my mom was diagnosed with cancer in late fall and ultimately passed away just before Christmas so November and December of last year are a big blur. While this year will be hard for us all, I'm doing it up big for DD11 this year (I usually do anyway because I can't help myself) because the holiday sort of slipped away last year.

I already got her her first Northface Fleece which I got on a GREAT sale last spring and I made her a digital scrapbook with all the pictures I could find of she and my mom.

So far, she's not really asking for anything as she's also at that "in between" age. She occassionally fiddles with her AG dolls and she likes Lego Friends.

Our big family gift is our first cruise, a Disney cruise in April during Spring Break so I picked up bathingsuits and cover ups for DD while on vacation this summer. I'm going to get us all snorkeling gear and DD wants her "own" suitcase, so I'm hunting for that too.

Here is a dilemma maybe someone can offer advice/opinions on. DD11 (rising 6th grader) LOVES her iPod. She and her friends use them constantly to text, make videos, record songs, etc. Hers is several years old and super slow (won't do the updates from Apple anymore) and so I'm trying to decide between getting her the 6th generation when it comes out in October or just upgrading her to the iphone. Going with the phone is actually cheaper on the front end (cheaper to purchase with our current provider and I can ditch my landline finally), but of course I'll incur a monthly fee for it. While I've sworn off any phone until 7th or 8th grade (and she's never pushed the issue), I just wonder if I'm better going with the phone. She plays on her school volleyball team so she stays after for practice daily and she takes several dance classes and I often drop her off. Any thoughts, experience?

Hello! It's hard to believe it is time to start thinking about Christmas! I have a DS who will have just turned 2 and a DD who will almost be 5. My parents are moving down today, so the whole family will be here for Christmas!! We try to stick to 3 gifts (1 from Santa, 2 from Mom and Dad) for each of the kids tying in that Baby Jesus got 3 gifts. Then the kids will buy something for each other.

Legos are always a big hit around here. My brother will be 38 this Christmas and he gets at least a small set pretty much every year. :)

I think ds15 will always get at least one LEGO set forever too! LOL
YAY! I've been waiting for this thread to start. I dropped out of "sight" last year when my mom was diagnosed with cancer in late fall and ultimately passed away just before Christmas so November and December of last year are a big blur. While this year will be hard for us all, I'm doing it up big for DD11 this year (I usually do anyway because I can't help myself) because the holiday sort of slipped away last year.

I already got her her first Northface Fleece which I got on a GREAT sale last spring and I made her a digital scrapbook with all the pictures I could find of she and my mom.

So far, she's not really asking for anything as she's also at that "in between" age. She occassionally fiddles with her AG dolls and she likes Lego Friends.

Our big family gift is our first cruise, a Disney cruise in April during Spring Break so I picked up bathingsuits and cover ups for DD while on vacation this summer. I'm going to get us all snorkeling gear and DD wants her "own" suitcase, so I'm hunting for that too.

Here is a dilemma maybe someone can offer advice/opinions on. DD11 (rising 6th grader) LOVES her iPod. She and her friends use them constantly to text, make videos, record songs, etc. Hers is several years old and super slow (won't do the updates from Apple anymore) and so I'm trying to decide between getting her the 6th generation when it comes out in October or just upgrading her to the iphone. Going with the phone is actually cheaper on the front end (cheaper to purchase with our current provider and I can ditch my landline finally), but of course I'll incur a monthly fee for it. While I've sworn off any phone until 7th or 8th grade (and she's never pushed the issue), I just wonder if I'm better going with the phone. She plays on her school volleyball team so she stays after for practice daily and she takes several dance classes and I often drop her off. Any thoughts, experience?

So sorry to hear that about your mom:flower3: Hopefully this year will be much better for you! I know it will be hard, but at least this year you will have had a little time to absorb it all. As far as iPhone/ipod…we are kind of in the same boat. My dd has had her iPod for a couple of years and is so slow and lots of things she cannot download because it's old. I don't know if I am ready for her to have a phone yet or not. but, if she needs to text me from church to come get her and the internet is not good, she can't text…it's a quandary..we have a 13 yo rule for phones and held our boys too that. She has money and wants to buy her own iPod,so we may let her go ahead and do it once school starts back…

I was actually thinking about this post a few days ago when I decided to start my "to buy" Christmas list. I'm going to Disney so I plan on getting quite a few gifts there.

Cousin1 & Husband: No dang idea as of yet

Nephew1: Ornament, Disney shirt, toy (most likely something from the lego store)

Nephew2: Ornament, Disney shirt, toy

Grandma: Pick a Pearl and setting

Nephew3: Disney shirt, pin board (Pin board is being made. Fabric over cork board and framed. Super easy craft and will individualize for each kid)

Niece1: Disney shirt, pin board

Nephew4: Disney shirt, pin board

Niece2: Disney shirt, pin board

Nephew5: Disney shirt, pin board

Cousin2: No idea yet... I don't like her much and only buy things to keep the peace

Aunt1 & Uncle1: Pick a Pearl and setting for my aunt, some cooking gear for my uncle (maybe something from Food and Wine)

Aunt2 & Uncle2: Disney trip(paying for my aunt to come with me in October), Ornament

Dad: No idea yet... maybe some food shipped or something since I now live in a different state. Like Tastes of Chicago or Hickory Farms.

Friend: Pick a Pearl and setting

As far as iPhone/ipod…we are kind of in the same boat. My dd has had her iPod for a couple of years and is so slow and lots of things she cannot download because it's old. I don't know if I am ready for her to have a phone yet or not. but, if she needs to text me from church to come get her and the internet is not good, she can't text…it's a quandary..we have a 13 yo rule for phones and held our boys too that. She has money and wants to buy her own iPod,so we may let her go ahead and do it once school starts back…
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Glad I'm not alone in this :)

We finally had "the talk" with our 11 year old this summer.

No, not THAT talk.. that was a while ago. This was all about the realities of Christmas. (Her reaction??? Laughter that the whole adult world was in on it.)

The upside is that this year I'll be able to wrap behind a closed door with no pretending that I'm doing anything else.

I'm thinking that I'll get my daughters each another Disney Alex and Ani bracelet.

Beyond that, though, I haven't got a clue.

We finally had "the talk" with our 11 year old this summer.

No, not THAT talk.. that was a while ago. This was all about the realities of Christmas. (Her reaction??? Laughter that the whole adult world was in on it.)

The upside is that this year I'll be able to wrap behind a closed door with no pretending that I'm doing anything else.

I'm thinking that I'll get my daughters each another Disney Alex and Ani bracelet.

Beyond that, though, I haven't got a clue.

:welcome: I have seen those bracelets..looks like a good idea for young girls to start!

:welcome: I have seen those bracelets..looks like a good idea for young girls to start!

They each had at least one A&A before our trip last week. But I figured it was a nice, budget friendly, grown up type of souvineer for all 3 of us. (I got Tinkerbell, one got Cinderella and the other got Belle.)

As far as the phone goes, that was another rite of passage for my 11 year old this summer. She's heading to middle school in a few weeks, so she won't always be with an adult the way she was in elementary school. So, as we did with our older 2 kids, we got her a phone for graduation in June.

Not an iphone-- my husband has one and my 16 year old bought himself one this summer. The girls and I have regular phones. But it allows them to let me know if they're staying for extra help or whatever.

Glad to see this thread started! I'm already thinking of xmas gifts. We have booked an Alaskan cruise for next summer so most of our gifts will be related to that- jackets, binoculars, gloves, hats etc. Being in Arizona means we do not own any heavy winter wear. My kids don't wear coats or jackets. They like a hoodie over a long sleeve shirt for cold days here.

My kids have been out of the toy stage for a while and are getting harder and harder to buy for every year. There are only so many makeup sets and handbags you can get one teenage girl:lmao:

We don't need anymore electronics around here. Although dd's karaoke machine died and she does want a new one.

I would like a travel toiletry bag and the newest Just Dance game, if one is released. Dh just got some new binoculars but we'll need 3 more less expensive pair for the rest of us. Dh probably also wants some accessories for his GoPro.

My mom has expressed an interest in Wii so she might be getting that from us. :wizard:

That's all I've come up with for now.

Glad to see this thread started! I'm already thinking of xmas gifts. We have booked an Alaskan cruise so most of our gifts will be related to that- jackets, binoculars, gloves, hats etc.

My kids have been out of the toy stage for a while and are getting harder and harder to buy for every year. There are only so many makeup sets and handbags you can get one teenage girl:lmao:

We don't need anymore electronics around here. Although dd's karaoke machine died and she does want a new one.

I would like a travel toiletry bag and the newest Just Dance game, if one is released. Dh just got some new binoculars but we'll need 3 more less expensive pair for the rest of us. Dh probably also wants some accessories for his GoPro.

My mom has expressed an interest in Wii so she might be getting that from us. :wizard:

An Alaskan cruise sounds great!!! I would love to do that someday! As far as travel toiletry bags, I just bought a new VB one for myself this past spring. I got it for the trip my hubby and I took for our vacation..and I love it! maybe check those out and see if you like them.

Too early for me to think about Christmas. This year will be rough -- my wife's mother passed away in April. This will be our first Christmas without her. We've talked about going somewhere warm and avoiding it all together.

Too early for me to think about Christmas. This year will be rough -- my wife's mother passed away in April. This will be our first Christmas without her. We've talked about going somewhere warm and avoiding it all together.

Sorry to hear that….it always make the holidays harder. Maybe a diff scene/climate/atmosphere is just what she needs!

Glad to see this thread started! I'm already thinking of xmas gifts. We have booked an Alaskan cruise for next summer so most of our gifts will be related to that- jackets, binoculars, gloves, hats etc. Being in Arizona means we do not own any heavy winter wear. My kids don't wear coats or jackets. They like a hoodie over a long sleeve shirt for cold days here.

I LOVE this thread!

We also have an Alaskan Cruised book for next summer so our kids are getting things for the cruise such as binoculars,luggage, etc.

I have also started my "spreadsheet", yes I am one of those people. :laughing:

I have already gotten DS13 his luggage and binoculars. My company has website where you can order things off of for your anniversary year with them and since I have been here for 15 years I had a bunch of points so I used those to get the luggage and binoculars. I love when I score "free" gifts!

DD also wants a North Face Fleece so any help finding sales for those would be great!

We are going to WDW in Oct so I hope to pick up some gifts there.

Nice to see a Christmas thread started. Thanks OP! I've just started talking with DH about what gifts Santa will bring our kids/ 8 & 5. They aren't really into playing with toys other than their Lego sets. So my daughter will get Lego Friends & my son will get diff Lego sets not sure which ones yet. We are going to Disney for the 1st week in Nov so I'm not going to go crazy with too many gifts.

I LOVE this thread!

We also have an Alaskan Cruised book for next summer so our kids are getting things for the cruise such as binoculars,luggage, etc.

I have already gotten DS13 his luggage and binoculars. My company has website where you can order things off of for your anniversary year with them and since I have been here for 15 years I had a bunch of points so I used those to get the luggage and binoculars. I love when I score "free" gifts!

DD also wants a North Face Fleece so any help finding sales for those would be great!

Glad to have you! As for luggage, what brand did you get? My husband needs a new large suitcase and I need to start the hunt but have been too busy lately! In fact, all of our larger pieces are kinda looking crummy, but he needs one the most! I have a small carry-on for the kids with the great wheels, he takes that for short trips, but I am stumped on what to get for when he is gone on long trips.

Nice to see a Christmas thread started. Thanks OP! I've just started talking with DH about what gifts Santa will bring our kids/ 8 & 5. They aren't really into playing with toys other than their Lego sets. So my daughter will get Lego Friends & my son will get diff Lego sets not sure which ones yet. We are going to Disney for the 1st week in Nov so I'm not going to go crazy with too many gifts.

welcome fellow LEGO people! LOL!!We are going not too long after you!! November is such a great Disney month!

I LOVE this thread!

I'm a spreadsheet user too. Keeps me organized and I can reference what I did in years past. I do it for gifts and my baked goods gifts as well :)

As for the Northface Fleece. Check out 6pm.com. I got DD hers in March or so of this year for around $50. I'm guessing it may be a discontinued color, but it was turquoise, her favorite, so I snagged it. You get free shipping too (although note, if you have to return the shipping is on you for that).

Here is a kids size one for $44 http://www.6pm.com/the-north-face-kids-oso-hoodie-12-little-kids-big-kids-azalea-pink
Looks like the women's run anywhere from $69 to $89 depending on whether you want a hood or not and color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter