8/4 Magic--Summary

miksicnarf

Mouseketeer
We enjoyed the cruise very much. In some ways it didn’t live up to our expectations, and in some ways it surpassed them. We weren’t thrilled with the food in general, and our server, Aleksander, and head server, Sandra, in particular. We liked Antonia and feel she has potential, if paired with someone else. I wish the kids had enjoyed Common Grounds and the Oceaneers Lab more, but they didn’t complain and seemed to enjoy themselves on their own, and sometimes in the clubs. Seasickness was never a problem; Michael took ginger and Bonine every day, and the boys took some the first day or two. I don’t know if the effects were actually physical or more psychological, but in any case it worked :)
The ports of call were OK. Personally, I took the cruise for the onboard experience, not as a way to really see or experience anything on the islands. Michael and I have both traveled quite a bit in the Caribbean, and we believe you need to spend more than a few hours or even a day to see anything. We liked Castaway Cay but think Disney needs to develop more of the island to help alleviate the extreme crowding.
By far, the highlight of the cruise for us was our suite. Because of our family’s laid-back style, I think we would have been very unhappy with anything less since we tend to spend more time in the room than most. Having three bathrooms, three TVs, the dining room, huge verandah, etc. all greatly enhanced our experience. The concierge service was the icing on the cake.
Would I cruise again on DCL? Sure! What would I do differently? I think I’d try to book one of the category 1 suites—the additional space and even finer amenities would be awesome! I wouldn’t worry about packing and dressing for dinner. It really seemed kind of silly to get decked out in formal attire for such a short time. I think we’d eat out less and enjoy dining in our suite even more. Having room service come in and set up our table, complete with tablecloth, china and all the accoutrements, and the same fare as the restaurants, was in many ways more enjoyable and certainly more comfortable, in our shorts and t-shirts, than the dining rooms. Depending on the itinerary, I’d probably spend less time on shore and more time enjoying the empty ship—I bet I could even get a spa appointment when the ship’s in port :) If I could design my ideal cruise itinerary, it would be two weeks long, with only one port per week…doesn’t really matter which ports.

Now, if you’ve read through all this…and you’re planning to cruise in the future…and you have kids who’re arcade fanatics…I have a small reward for you :) I’ll send a pile of arcade cards to the first person who emails me (kfrancis@mediaone.net) with their address. For some reason we seem to have accumulated a bunch of ‘em—we never bought any, they were all given to us by the concierge, bartenders, various and sundry other CMs--and my kids weren’t excited by the arcade. I assume they’ll still work.

Thanks to all the past cruisers who posted info and reports here which I found so helpful; I hope I can help future cruisers in the same way. Smooth sailing to all!

LOVED the report. Thanks so much for sharing. Too bad the dinning room serice was not better! But you really show that you if you get lemons...you make lemonade!!! Good for you!The suite sounds awsome!I also loved the gooey desert story!You didn't mention the total on the weight gain<grin>????Or are you not telling;) I hope the rest of your vacation in Florida was wonderful.

The following week in FL was nice, but certainly not magical. As luck would have it (good luck or bad luck, depending on how you look at it) I got sick in the Keys which, although it certainly wasn't fun at the time, helped stem my phenomenal weight gain; when I got home I was only up 5 pounds :)

Thanks for posting your trip report! We are traveling on the Dec. 1,2001 Magic. Sorry you were disapointed with your servers. It seems it is a hit or miss situation.

Thanks, Dina

p.s. I sent you an e-mail!!

Mary (RellingTwin) was the first to respond re: the arcade cards, so they're already spoken for--sorry!
Re: our servers, really it was just Aleksander. He had no personality, didn't seem to enjoy his job or have any chemistry with Antonia. After the first night she remembered our drinks, but Aleksandra couldn't seem to remember that Michael didn't want anything with curry or that he wanted a garden salad every night. When he told us about the menu selections, he was obviously reciting by rote and had no real knowledge or interest in the food. And then the souffle incident--I would have felt better if he had just said no, I'm sorry, no can do. Instead he and Sandra both came across with the attititude that "well, we can possibly do this for you but you must realize that this is way above and beyond our duty." Please, don't be such a martyr--if it's so much trouble just don't do it!
Antonia showed some spark by pulling Mikey out of his seat to dance with her on tropical night and hugging the kids at different times, but Aleksander was just robotic and Sandra was just snooty.

I really enjoyed reading each installment.
The suite sounds wonderful. I wish your
dining staff was better. I also wish I could
have borrowed Alex for my cruise last
week! I have two older boys who just didn't
appreciate the "cute" things on the cruise,
like the character breakfast (we didn't go).
Congratulations to your DH on his Bingo
winnings.
By the way, did anyone from the 8/4 cruise
get to meet Pete? I would have loved to
meet him and thank him for this great site.
Thanks again for posting the wonderful report.

:wave: Jan

Thanks for your comments, Jan :) Pete didn't show up for our DIS meet, and the only other DISer I encountered after Sunday was Dave (tecdavidt) and he hadn't seen Pete either.
I wish everyone had a partner like Alex too--I realized while writing my report that it was always "Alex and I" did this and "Alex and I" did that. She's always game for anything--at WDW she's the one who rides all the rides with me. I imagine one day it'll be "Alex and I" vacationing alone :)
I'll pass your congrats on to Michael. Glad you enjoyed the report :)

Sounds to me like you were the woman I was stuck with in the elevator who was constantly complaining about everything. I can't beleive you didn't have a great time. Sandra was also my head waiter. She was fantastic. Also were Girish and Edit our waiters. They were all great. We had 36 people on board for a family reunion and 50th aniversity. They all made the trip great. The food was out of this world and you could not beat the service. There were 15 children with us and Sandra and here crew made them all feel at home. Whatever the kids wanted they got. The crew always had a smile on their face and the kids really loved them. Sandra, Girish and Edit earned their pay check with us. They never forgot an order or what we were drinking.
Francine and Raymond (the bingo callers) were also great. They went from bingo to dancing on deck 9 to singing with the kids in Studio Sea. Then after working 12 hours a day, they did it all again the next day.
Before you trash the crew just remember that they do this every single day for 12 hours a day. They work hard, put in long hours and put up with snooty people.
I live in Key West. Before I left the ship I was told that the ship will start coming to Key West next year. I left an open invitation to the crew to visit us whenever they are in port here. I hope they take me up on it so I can repay them for the fantastic time they gave us.

I really, really enjoyed reading your reports. Thanks for taking the time to write. I thought you did a very fair reporting job. Some workers are just better than others. The person who just wrote must be a relative of the two less than stellar workers!!!! I say if the shoe fits WEAR IT.

Thank you so much for all your reports. I enjoyed them all. Someday I too hope to enjoy one of the suites, you made them sound so wonderful! Sorry your servers weren't that great. On our Magic cruise last year (Oct 7), our servers were the highlight of the trip!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!
Tina
girl.gif

You're welcome, Tina...glad you enjoyed it :) If we do DCL again, I'm going to take a survey here first to find the best servers and request them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter