8 days in the East - Trip Report

Part 11

There were even more wooden sculptures outside than our visit two years ago.
These were here but still love them.

31D DSC08403.jpg

31E DSC08405.jpg

DH informs me black and red ants fight each other

31F DSC08406.jpg

31G DSC08407 (682x1024).jpg

31K DSC08454.jpg

These cute little birds reminded me of our Noisy Miners

31I DSC08456.jpg

31J DSC08457 (683x1024).jpg

The Flower Dome was closed for maintenance as we knew but Cloud Dome was open, our favourite last time and I knew DD would really love it – and she did. She was also excited it was cool inside which really seemed to invigorate us and with a second wind we spent some considerable time exploring the dome, winding our way around the base and down from top to bottom. An assortment of pics follow (I will try to be restrained as not everyone loves flowers!) This was another SIA freebie voucher.

32 In the Cloud Dome DSC06452.jpg
32B DSC06454.jpg

32D DSC06462.jpg

Very pretty, we are going to Singapore in March, cant decide if we should go to the gardens or not? we have little kids, not sure if it will keep their attention or if they will start the 'im hot, im tired' bit. Did yousee many little ones there? mine are 7, 5 and 3. Cant wait to see the Disney part of your post too!

Part 11

There were even more wooden sculptures outside than our visit two years ago.
These were here but still love them.

View attachment 134961

View attachment 134962

DH informs me black and red ants fight each other

View attachment 134963

View attachment 134964

View attachment 134966

View attachment 134965

View attachment 134968

The Flower Dome was closed for maintenance as we knew but Cloud Dome was open, our favourite last time and I knew DD would really love it – and she did. She was also excited it was cool inside which really seemed to invigorate us and with a second wind we spent some considerable time exploring the dome, winding our way around the base and down from top to bottom. An assortment of pics follow (I will try to be restrained as not everyone loves flowers!) This was another SIA freebie voucher.

View attachment 134970
View attachment 134969

View attachment 134971
loving your detailed trip report and can't wait to get to the end :) btw awesome pics

Neha if you include a visit to the children's playground as part of the visit they will enjoy it. It had water fountains, an exploratory trail which we didn't follow but looked like it had fun things along it and the whole area was playing Disney tunes (NOOO not more Frozen..and the Lion King eg) - I have 2 pics I think I took which I will post. You can catch a train around the different parts of the garden during the day to reduce tired feet - we were a bit late in the day to catch it. They would also would probably enjoy the Cloud Dome with its mist and waterfall and high walkways if they aren't scared of heights, you would probably just get through it a bit faster. There were families there with children of all ages who seemed to be enjoying it.

Part 12
Welcome to Cloud Forests, which only now cover 1% of the globe.

32E DSC08411.jpg

Walking around the base of the mountain to reach the elevator

32F DSC06465.jpg

32I IMG_6837.jpg

32H IMG_6839.jpg

32J IMG_6842.jpg

32K IMG_6849.jpg

32L DSC08419.jpg

32M DSC08422.jpg

33A DSC06467.jpg

Part 13

Some strange looking Lego-pitcher plants here! Watch out for the deadly Lego-spider.

34A small.JPG

34AA small.JPG

34D IMG_6853.jpg

34E small.JPG

Up on the topmost level, real pitcher plants

35B small.JPG

35B DSC06481.jpg

35AA IMG_6861.jpg

35C DSC06485.jpg

35F DSC06478.jpg

35E IMG_6867.jpg

Awesome pictures of the Cloud Dome flowers. As I'm one of those that loves looking at flower pictures, the more the merrier!! :teeth:

That's because they are the Common Myna or also sometimes called the Indian Myna. I thought they were also present in Queensland? They are certainly fairly common down in Melbourne.

another SIA freebie voucher.

Bonus!

PIO people keep telling me we have the two types of miner birds here (local Miner and imported Myna) and that the imported one is out competing the local so most often the ones you see are the imported version. I was also told they are very hard to tell apart. I now went and looked them up as you say, and this is obvious in their colouring. They look like totally different birds in colour, beak shape, eye surround colouring etc. So I can now with confidence say we only have the Aussie Noisy Miners at our place and tbh I can't say that I have noticed anything other than local Noisy Miners anywhere else in Brissie (parks etc) I have been but then I haven't been looking out for the other type of Myna particularly - now I will.

Part 14

No idea what this plant might be?

35H DSC06480.jpg

35I DSC08428.jpg

There are lots of types of moss and succulents in Cloud Forests

35J DSC08432.jpg

Looking down

36AB DSC06488.jpg

and similarly onto the Lego plant display

36AC DSC08433.jpg

36B DSC06490.jpg

36E DSC06494.jpg

36D DSC06493.jpg

36C DSC06492.jpg

Workers weeding etc - need to have a head for heights

37B DSC08434.jpg

Part 15

Triffids!

37CC IMG_6877.jpg

37C DSC08435.jpg

More of this plant

37BB IMG_6862.jpg

I love the shadow pictures painted onto the open glassed areas

37E IMG_6876.jpg

Spot the bat

37F IMG_6878.jpg

37G IMG_6879.jpg

You can just see the waterpark area of the Children's Garden outside

37H IMG_6880.jpg

Inside the centre of the dome with a geological feature

38A IMG_6882.jpg

38B IMG_6886.jpg

Thanks Zosha. The domes are well worth seeing, it's just a pity Flower Dome was closed when we were there but they only close for one day each every few months

Part 16

39 DSC08443.jpg

Delicate little flowers

39B IMG_6902.jpg

32C DSC06460.jpg

Inside the exhibition on climate change

40 DSC08445.jpg

Back down

40C IMG_6889.jpg

Lots of sculptures and carvings in the Secret Garden

41A DSC08446.jpg

41B DSC06498.jpg

Love the dragon especially

41C DSC08453.jpg

41D DSC06501.jpg

41F IMG_6898.jpg

Loving the flowers and sculptures.

I have no idea what that plant is either! I hope someone knows and can enlighten us.
Hmm....you're going to have to go stalking your myna birds!

Part 17

Exploring some of the external spaces heading towards Supertree Grove and getting lost.

Didn’t know they got otters here? These signs were all along the waterfront areas in the gardens.

43C Otter Crossing.JPG

Children's Playground. Behind these chaps was the discovery trail that looked like it had lots of fun things to do along the way

44B DSC08459.jpg

Part of the waterpark nearby - serenaded by Disney tunes - cue Let it Be of course and Hakuna Matata among others.

44 children's playground DSC08460.jpg

Another view of the waterplay area thanks to the internet. There was also somewhere a great kids playground with a tree house etc.

44A more waterplay internet.JPG

We pressed on with "that" song in our head (almost but not quite as bad as "It's a small world after all...")

The Arid Garden

45 arid garden DSC08461.jpg

Lizard

46 lizard DSC08463.jpg

Waterlilly Pond

48A waterlilly pond DSC08465.jpg

48B DSC08466.jpg

Kingfisher Lake

48C Kingfisher lake DSC08468.jpg

Otters??? In Singapore?
Nice waterpark.

You're getting a lot of sightseeing in...and I hope it was a restful day.

Part 18

By the time we reached Supertree Grove by a circuitous route we were totally pooped. We plopped in some handy chairs - well I plopped on the lawn for a bit, and watched the sunset. I would have liked to have explored the colonial garden we missed last time but my battery was flat. There were some eateries behind the lawn area and we decided it would be easiest to eat here since we were too tired to explore further afield and we wanted to watch Rhapsody in the Gardens held here a bit later after dark.

Some views of Supertree Grove and its trees and the above ground walkway - never made it up there this trip either - so that's still on an unfinished business list.

48D Supertree Grove DSC08474.jpg

49AA DSC06502.jpg

DD's arty shot

49C IMG_6910.jpg

All pooped out

49F.JPG

Chasing bubbles

49E bubbles IMG_6919 small.jpg

We randomly picked on of the 4 places to eat, called Hill St café. We all ended up choosing the Hainanese chicken rice as we knew we liked this. Prices were quite expensive which we kind of expected for the location and the food was pretty average. I wasn’t sure I even wanted to eat, blaming tiredness, but thought something light might be nice and knew (or thought I knew) I’d be hungry later otherwise. It was odd as the broth was only luke warm and the chicken was cold which was unexpected but the rice was steaming hot. If we hadn’t all eaten the same and I wasn’t already not feeling quite “right” I would have blamed this meal for the gastro that struck later that evening. I am still waiting for mine to come out in this pic.

50 Dinner at Hill St cafe Supertree Grove  IMG_6920.jpg

While we were eating it grew dark and we did not have too long to wait for the show. It was odd as around us there were several groups with a girl all dressed up in some outrageous ball gown or odd outfit being photographed in 101 different poses. When the show was about to start they packed up and moved on. If I had been PIO I would have asked if I could have taken a photo of them!

52B DSC06507.jpg

This pic is similar but shows the wheel in the background

52BB DSC08477.jpg

Rhapsody plays orchestral music while the trees are lit in changing colours and rhythms to match the music. The composition was different to our last visit and we all found it as beautiful as DH and I had last time. This time included a great Star Wars feature and a collection of Disney tunes which was very apt given our destination in a few days’ time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter