8A vs. 6B

What would you take?

• 8A as a GTY

Results are only viewable after voting.

ambushangel

Mouseketeer
So our reservations for our March 2012 trip have been mixed up.

We were suppose to be in room 5022 but after a mix up we ended up with a
8A GTY. Our TA upgraded us to 5190.

I'm not sure if I want to take the upgrade or just stay with the GTY and hope to get the cabin we orginally requested.

Please let me say that I'm not 100% thankful of the upgrade at no cost but I'm not 100% sure on what to do.

I'm the type of person who sorts out the pro's and con's of major things.

GTY

Pro's
- they are close to Vibe for my DS
- some of them felt like 2 cabins, great for a little more privacy.
- non-split bathroom was actually not an issue for us.

Con's
- could end up with accessible room, more of an issue with no bath
- could end up with the rooms with the pole in the middle of the room.
- could end up with the rooms with the tilted ceiling (my DS is well over 6foot and accident prone.

Pro's
- it backs into port for a wonderful view from our room in the morning.

Con's
- comments about noise from Evolution
- not really keen about being at the very back of the ship

As this is our third cruise and I really appriciate all of the advice on here, please help me decide.

We actually tossed around the idea of completely canceling because we are feeling a little disappointed.

A free upgrade? Go for it! I do not know how noisy it will be, but I think I would risk it.

If the noise is too bad, complain to guest services, they should be able to do something.

I would go for the verandah. If you are worried about the noise, bring earplugs or a white noise machine.

Just wanted to mention that on many (most) cruises I've priced recently, the 8A cabins are selling for more than the 6B and 6A cabins, so it may or may not be an upgrade if you consider price to be the definition of an upgrade, or are just considering features (oceanview versus verandah).

One example, we booked the 3/31 Fantasy MV cruise, and booked a 6A verandah room since it was significantly cheaper than an 8A cabin.

With the 8A GTY, you could end up in a verandah room in 6B or better, or you could end up in one of the accessible or non-accessible 8A rooms. If you really aren't concerned about the risk of getting a less desireable 8A room, and are willing to gamble on the chance for an even better room than your TA secured, you could stay with the GTY. But if any of those unknown risks concern you, then you should consider the assigned room. The benefit of taking the 6B cabin assignment now, is you know for a fact where you will be, and you would be guaranteed a verandah, though it sounds like that location doesn't thrill you.

OK, I haven't been on the Dream, so absolutely NO firsthand experience.

That said, there is WAY too much concern on the boards about "good" vs. "bad" cabins...at least as the info pertains to the Magic and Wonder. I figure it's the same on the Dream, although there are certainly more differences between cabins on the Dream.

I've been in supposedly "good" cabins and had noise from nearby guests. I've been in supposedly "bad" cabins and had no issues at all...or a little thruster noise while docking, which is not a big deal to me (it could be to others).

If I were offered a free verandah, I'd take it. Perhaps there is someone on the boards who has actually sailed in your proposed cabin and can give you some insight on the noise level...but a free verandah looks good to me.

I also have not been on the Dream, but what about this:
Call the TA and say, "I'm thankful for the upgrade, but would prefer a Cat 6B on decks 6 or 7 as I am concerned about the noise from Evolution"
See if that is a possibility. Then you won't have to stress about the GTY status and you won't have to stress about the noise concern.
Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter