8am - Go to IOA EE or US standard opening?

ceeceegee

Mouseketeer
WWYD? We will be at Universal for one day in mid-October staying at Royal Pacific so have express pass and EE.

We have a multi-generational party, definitely want to do Hagrid's and Velocicoaster, along with all the Wizarding World things, will use EP to fill in all the other attractions as we have time.

Where and how should we start our day - US or IOA? I'm guessing still Hagrid's at IOA, but if worried about it being down, would you pivot to something else?
  • US hours 8am-5pm
  • IOA hours 8am EE - 9am-7pm

Just my opinion here but I’d start with IOA. We just got back from our trip and our last day we were at IOA by about 7:35 for early entry at 8:00. Went straight to Hagrids and got on in about 10 minutes, then to velocicoaster which by that time was around 20 minutes. In total we had both rides done by 9:00 for normal park opening so could go do a few other things like Spider-Man, Hulk, etc with very little wait while it was still early. Maybe not the norm but also the whole trip which was basically 3 days we rode forbidden journey multiple times with very little waiting. If I was you I’d do that then take advantage of express for USF later in the day or other IOA rides that start to fill up. Good Luck and Have Fun!

I would do IOA first. We tried the last ride of night strategy for Hagrids and it poured after we waited an hour. Even if it is down in the am, you can pivot to velocicoaster and then head back when it is up. You can also go back and forth between both parks and take the Hogwarts express both ways. It is a different show each way.

Just my opinion here but I’d start with IOA. We just got back from our trip and our last day we were at IOA by about 7:35 for early entry at 8:00. Went straight to Hagrids and got on in about 10 minutes, then to velocicoaster which by that time was around 20 minutes. In total we had both rides done by 9:00 for normal park opening so could go do a few other things like Spider-Man, Hulk, etc with very little wait while it was still early. Maybe not the norm but also the whole trip which was basically 3 days we rode forbidden journey multiple times with very little waiting. If I was you I’d do that then take advantage of express for USF later in the day or other IOA rides that start to fill up. Good Luck and Have Fun!
Thank you for the details! This was our plan and then I started second guessing myself when I saw that USF opened at 8 as well. Will stick with IOA and Hagrid's first.

I would do IOA first. We tried the last ride of night strategy for Hagrids and it poured after we waited an hour. Even if it is down in the am, you can pivot to velocicoaster and then head back when it is up. You can also go back and forth between both parks and take the Hogwarts express both ways. It is a different show each way.
Thank you! I am definitely worried about something out of our control making us miss out on Hagrids so doing that first will ease my mind (assuming it's running of course).

Reactions: AJA
It is frequently enough reported that Hagrid's is down in the early morning (it happened to us as well) but you could also do VelociCoaster nearby while you wait it out and the HP areas too. Early Entry gives you a leg up for HP areas and you'd also be close by if Hagrid's goes down and then goes back up.

Once you're done in the early morning with the HP stuff/VeolciCoaster you could take Hogwarts Express over to the Studios side and explore there for a while then hop back on over to IOA with that later closing time. With the way you mentioned I'm assuming you have park-to-park tickets.

Temper everyone's expectation here though, with only 1 day you're going to be pressured to get it all done even with Express.

Thank you for the additional thoughts all! We do have park-to-park tix and I have definitely had the talk with everyone that we are going to hit the highlights, but there is NO WAY we will get even close to everything done. Our age ranges are from 8 to 71 so we'll only be moving as fast as the slowest one moves - whether that's the 8 yo or the 71 yo remains to be seen as the younger ones will want to look at everything in the WWoHP lol. I'll report back on what we end up doing and how it all goes.

I would start at US. Here’s why:
Getting on Hagrid’s in a timely way depends on being at the front gate at least an hour before the park opens and really hustling through half the park to get in line. It’s farther than you think and there will be people literally running, despite the TMs telling them to stop. Given what you’ve said about your party’s pace, you’ll probably end up far enough back in line to make it not really worth it. You’ll probably still get on okay, but between the time you wait at the gates and the time you wait in the line, you could just wait at a slower time, like after lunch or jump in line close to closing.

Everything else that’s open during EPA takes express, which you have and can use later. BUT those same rides do NOT take express during EPA. Granted, the standby lines at everything not Hagrid’s are usually really good during EPA. Unless Hagrid’s goes down, and then not only don’t you get to ride Hagrid’s, all the other waits balloon.

Only a small part of the park is open during EPA, so the Hogsmeade area gets quite crowded. Even though attendance is limited, it’s all funneled into a small space so it feels crowded.

On the other hand, you can use your express passes from the minute US opens its gates. Moreover, the very beginning of the day gives you something express doesn’t: low crowds in Diagon Alley. As everyone rushes to rides, you can spend that time doing the “magic” windows without a wait. Later in the day, there will be a wait at the various magic spots. Some of those windows are hard to do, and I personally feel a really unpleasant pressure to be quick when I know others are waiting. After you explore the area, you can just stroll onto Gringott’s with your express, and start touring the park.

I would start at US. Here’s why:
Getting on Hagrid’s in a timely way depends on being at the front gate at least an hour before the park opens and really hustling through half the park to get in line. It’s farther than you think and there will be people literally running, despite the TMs telling them to stop. Given what you’ve said about your party’s pace, you’ll probably end up far enough back in line to make it not really worth it. You’ll probably still get on okay, but between the time you wait at the gates and the time you wait in the line, you could just wait at a slower time, like after lunch or jump in line close to closing.

Everything else that’s open during EPA takes express, which you have and can use later. BUT those same rides do NOT take express during EPA. Granted, the standby lines at everything not Hagrid’s are usually really good during EPA. Unless Hagrid’s goes down, and then not only don’t you get to ride Hagrid’s, all the other waits balloon.

Only a small part of the park is open during EPA, so the Hogsmeade area gets quite crowded. Even though attendance is limited, it’s all funneled into a small space so it feels crowded.

On the other hand, you can use your express passes from the minute US opens its gates. Moreover, the very beginning of the day gives you something express doesn’t: low crowds in Diagon Alley. As everyone rushes to rides, you can spend that time doing the “magic” windows without a wait. Later in the day, there will be a wait at the various magic spots. Some of those windows are hard to do, and I personally feel a really unpleasant pressure to be quick when I know others are waiting. After you explore the area, you can just stroll onto Gringott’s with your express, and start touring the park.
Really great perspective - thank you so much for your response! Low crowds in Diagon Alley, along with arriving to Hogsmeade/Hogwarts from King's Cross (instead of other way around first) is a very big draw. Kids are excited about rides, but VERY excited about wands so this definitely gives me more to think about.

We are all very excited to make these memories together. It does feel like it takes a bit of luck, doesn't it? :)
It really does!! We were lucky that my in-laws and SIL and other SIL and family were very happy to go along with whatever the plan was for the most part. They trusted the process (lol) and in the end we got to do basically everything we wanted. As the in-laws got older and were scooter users exclusively they would often just meet up with us at the Universal parks for meals or certain rides. We have great memories of really fun trips. Wishing you the same.

Hi all - wanted to come back and give an update how things went on our Universal day, Wednesday 10/18 (5/10 crowd level day) in case it might help someone searching through threads in the future :) Thank you for all of your suggestions!

7:10am at Royal Pacific Boat Launch
7:23am at Universal Studios entrance
7:54am let into US
8:25am boarded Gringotts
9:10am wands chosen and purchased - did spells in Diagon Alley easily for next hour with no waits (great advice!)
10:15am breakfast at Leaky Cauldron
11:00am Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade/IoA
11:15am candy haul from Honeydukes
11:30am in line for Hagrids - wait listed as 65 minutes, we only waited 30
continued about our day using express passes for Hippogriff, Forbidden Journey, Velocicoaster
took Hogwarts Express back to US and rode a few things - Rip Ride Rockit and Minions
5:00pm decided to call it a day and take boat back to Royal Pacific

Note we absolutely did not get as much done as I thought we would in advance, even with express pass, but we were a slow moving group. Let me know if you have any questions!

I'm surprised you weren't off Gringotts until 8:25. Was there already a line for it by the time you got back there?

Edited to Add: It doesn't surprise me if you didn't fit a ton in. People underestimate how much time the HP areas take if you really explore them. We spent 6 hours in Hogsmeade alone our first trip. There are so many stores, restaurants, and little things to interact with, especially if you do the wands, and it so crowded with such long lines for everything that you can't really move quickly through it except first thing in the morning.

I'm surprised you weren't off Gringotts until 8:25. Was there already a line for it by the time you got back there?

Edited to Add: It doesn't surprise me if you didn't fit a ton in. People underestimate how much time the HP areas take if you really explore them. We spent 6 hours in Hogsmeade alone our first trip. There are so many stores, restaurants, and little things to interact with, especially if you do the wands, and it so crowded with such long lines for everything that you can't really move quickly through it except first thing in the morning.
My in-laws were moving much slower than I anticipated, and of course needed a bathroom break lol. It was challenging but we made the best of it and everyone had a good time with what we did get accomplished.

It’s a bit of a hike from tap stiles to back of Diagon Alley plus you have to use the worst locker station in all of UO for Gringotts. Throw in the preshows - definitely can see that taking 20 minutes or so before you are on your mine car

You're right. I wasn't thinking about lockers. We never use lockers. I also think I rounded 7:54 down in my head, so I was thinking arrive at Gringotts by 8:00 am. 5 to 10 minutes for line and pre-show, 5 minutes to ride, off by 8:15 latest, but adding time to walk with a slower moving party and lockers would put you right at 8:25, so sounds right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter