8th grade graduation gift?

DH and I did not have any graduations until HS. We had elementary from K- 6th: Jr. High 7,8,9 and then senior high. DS had an 8th grade graduation with cap and gown. For us, our town schools are K-8 (K-4, 5/6 for lower middle, 7/8 upper middle) but our HS is part of a 4 HS regional district. Therefore, it was a graduation from our towns schools.

Lots of kids are held back in Kindergarten. Not always because they failed but sometimes they are immature and not ready for 1st grade. Sometimes its a lack of ability to follow directions or sit in a desk for 7 hours a day or whatever. Sometimes there are too many skills they are lacking on to make them able to succeed in 1st grade. Much better to be held back in K than later.

Our town has "pre-first" for those children that are not quite ready for 1st grade. Many times it is a maturity issue but also just haven't mastered to the full extent of what is required with the skills. Pre-first is mix of going over the basics at a slower pace but getting into some 1st grade material at a much slower pace. When they enter 1st grade, most are off and running. My friends DS went to pre-first and it was the best decision that they made as he was able to mature a bit and get the basics down better. It seems to work out well but i had never heard of it before so not sure how widespread it is.

Our town has "pre-first" for those children that are not quite ready for 1st grade. Many times it is a maturity issue but also just haven't mastered to the full extent of what is required with the skills. Pre-first is mix of going over the basics at a slower pace but getting into some 1st grade material at a much slower pace. When they enter 1st grade, most are off and running. My friends DS went to pre-first and it was the best decision that they made as he was able to mature a bit and get the basics down better. It seems to work out well but i had never heard of it before so not sure how widespread it is.

That sounds like a really good thing! Keeps the kids from feeling like they got left behind and gives them a chance to mature and master the skills.

8th grade graduation. What's the world coming to now?

I graduated from 8th grade in 1964, 53 years ago, so it's certainly nothing new. We had caps and gowns, a Valedictorian, a keynote speaker, the band played Pomp and Circumstance, etc. Many kids had graduation parties afterward.

My daughter had a preschool graduation with cap, "diploma", and ceremony, kindergarten graduation with the same, 5th grade moving up ceremony without cap but with ceremony and certificate, 8th grade moving up ceremony with the same, and will be graduating from high school in a few weeks.

I look back on some of these and agree they're a bit silly and unnecessary but I wouldn't give up the memories for anything. It's harmless and certainly not worth indignation.

My kids have done preK, K and 8th grade graduation but they didn't have cap/gown and I think were called move up or promotion something rather than graduation. Do to 2 kid and changing preschools I think only one had caps/gowns though the gowns were men's dress shirts. The prek and kindergarten were more of the kids putting on a play for parents and getting a certificate.

Our schools are k-8 so 8th grade the kids have a ceremony at night in which the kids dress up (semi formal?) There were some academic awards and everyone got a certificate that just said successful completion of 8th grade since the principal didn't believe in graduation. The parents left and the kid had a dance for about an hour. A parent who lived near the school then invited all the kids (34) to her yard for a BBQ. My youngest is finishing 7th so it will be interesting next year to see what they do since it is the same school but a different principal, superintendent etc.

My dd now 17 wore a dress I had just gotten her for a wedding two weeks before and I let her get her nails done for 8th grade graduation. I thought it was really nice even if it wasn't a true graduation. I may be a bit biased though since dd was one of a few students asked to give a speech (chosen for being outgoing) plus dd was given an all around academic award (Sherlock Holmes book). I don't recall giving dd a gift.

I had an 8th grade graduation ceremony 39 years ago. No cap and gown, but it was a fancy affair. Girls wore long dresses and boys wore tuxedos.

I didn't receive a gift then, and it never even crossed my mind to give my kids gifts for their 8th grade graduations.

Both our kids had 8 grads. They wore cap and gowns , church service after awards given out and back to the school for a formal dance. This was 7 years ago for one and 4 for the other.

They both got new laptops so they could do school assignments etc. Well used and needed.

Oh and they also have grad pictures done at the school too for grade 8.

Their school does a clap out on the last day ....this is one day before gradutation they have that day off to get all dolled up. Clap out they start at the top of the school where their grade is and run all the way though the halls to the Kindergarten rooms then the front door. All the other grades stand in the halls and clap and high five them. Principle announces each student by name and the person starts , then the next until they are all out the front door. Parents can come what take pictures . It is at the last hour of the day.

Their school does a clap out on the last day

That sounds fun. We have our 8th grade celebration on the last full day of school but the kids still have school until 11am on the last day. The first 30 minutes or so the kids get time to finish cleaning out desks, lockers etc if needed, get their 4th quarter report cards then are told who their teacher/home room is for the following year and go there. Since the school is k-8 the 8th graders were just told to go outside.

Both our kids had 8 grads. They wore cap and gowns , church service after awards given out and back to the school for a formal dance. This was 7 years ago for one and 4 for the other.

They both got new laptops so they could do school assignments etc. Well used and needed.

Oh and they also have grad pictures done at the school too for grade 8.

Their school does a clap out on the last day ....this is one day before gradutation they have that day off to get all dolled up. Clap out they start at the top of the school where their grade is and run all the way though the halls to the Kindergarten rooms then the front door. All the other grades stand in the halls and clap and high five them. Principle announces each student by name and the person starts , then the next until they are all out the front door. Parents can come what take pictures . It is at the last hour of the day.
Our 5th grade does that when they leave to go to middle school. They call it high five and goodbye. They play music over the loudspeaker and they go to each grade. It's really cute.

Way back in the day we didn't do cap and gown graduations. Everyone just dressed up nice. As for a gift, I got a "well done son" and they took me to Pizza Hut for supper. To be fair, at the time I was quite happy with the Pizza Hut meal. But looking at what some of you buy these days, I feel I should have held out for more :) My daughter finishes great 8 next year. Not sure what we'll do though, so I'm watching this thread with interest :)

8th grade graduation. What's the world coming to now?
Oh good lord,

'Hey, way to go (insert child's name).

Celebrations are so out of control these days.

*not directed at you OP..this is in general.

?? These days?? I graduated Jr. High in 1977 and we had the same graduation from 8th grade as they do now- they didn't use caps and gowns but all the kids wore dresses/suits and was the same type ceremony as the high school has.

DD14 just graduated 8th grade. We're getting her a French horn. She needs a new one so it worked out nicely. I think it's a bit much (okay, a lot much), but she'd be getting one anyway and this way we don't have to get her anything else. I remember when I graduated 8th grade, I got a Sony Game Gear (handheld) with 1 game from my parents.
I was very surprised at how much she received at her party. Even her friends that came gave her cards with money. I was not expecting that for 8th grade!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter