8th Grade Graduation

Here in Ontario, Canada we confirm in grade seven.

My daughter is homeschooled. She is technically about to complete grade eight, but her coursework currently includes grade ten math and grade nine English online, so it’s hard to say if she’s already graduated.

No graduation ceremony, obviously. We will probably have a nice dinner at home. We usually celebrate the end of every school year—not with gifts, but with some sort of celebration. We figure each year is an accomplishment for all of us—it’s challenging being home, working, together all the time.

No gift though. We are exceedingly proud of her, but getting through elementary school is a given, not a wonderous event.

DD who is a freshman this year did not have a graduation from 8th grade, just an awards ceremony on the last day and then they were free to leave early. We went out for ice cream with a bunch of her friends, that was it.

Growing up 8th gr. graduation was a big deal. We were in the school from 1 thru 8th gr. Mass at church with everyone in cap and gowns. My parents had a big party and everyone brought gifts. Now for my kids where we are it is not a big deal. Their middle school is actually in the same building as the high school. So it's sorta like not any kind of big transition at all. Also they were only in middle school from grades 6-8. Anyway, as far as I can remember we didn't do gifts or parties. We did go out to dinner though.

ps - I made Confirmation Spring of 7th gr. My kids were Spring of 10th gr.

I always have to laugh at some of the comments in these discussions about graduations. Does anyone really think that those who do celebrate these milestones DON'T expect their child to finish the 8th grade? Or do you not expect your child to finish high school?

Kindergarten, 8th grade and other lower grade graduations are not something new. My mom would have been 82 this year and SHE had an 8th grade graduation. And she got a new dress, a gift from my grandparents and my dad (they were dating at the time) and there was a party.

My daughter is in 8th grade and we have confirmation this month and a small family party planned for after the ceremony (no gifts). For 8th grade graduation we went to Japan over her fall break (she was allowed to pick the destination) so we don't plan on giving any other big graduation gifts. We will probably do another small family party after the graduation.

Does anyone really think that those who do celebrate these milestones DON'T expect their child to finish the 8th grade? Or do you not expect your child to finish high school?

A little off topic, but when my brother was graduating high school my mom planned a huge party for him and invited relatives from out of town. Well, he blew off consumer economics and ended up having to take it in summer school and was unable to graduate with his class. My mom was furious and the party was cancelled and never rescheduled.

We probably won't do anything - we didn't for kindergarten or 5th grade graduation, so I can't see anything changing for 8th grade. Our schools don't really make a big deal of it, though - there was an assembly at school for both, but not really more than that.

A little off topic, but when my brother was graduating high school my mom planned a huge party for him and invited relatives from out of town. Well, he blew off consumer economics and ended up having to take it in summer school and was unable to graduate with his class. My mom was furious and the party was cancelled and never rescheduled.

When I booked my son's hall in November for his June HS graduation party the guy said "so you're being optimistic." Huh??? He went on to say it'd be a shame if he didn't graduate and I booked a non refundable hall for his party. I didn't even think of that! I would kill the kid but I would still have the party. :rotfl: My son only wants to invite about 10-15 kids, the rest is all family and friends. I would still have a great time!

(I also went with another hall. The guy weirded me out for other reasons, along with all those comments.)

My DD's graduation was on a Friday night and the school had a small reception afterwards. By the time we got out of there, we were all ready for bed...it's a long ceremony! We didn't get her a gift, nor did she expect one, but we do tend to go somewhat overboard for Christmas and birthdays. My DS is graduating 8th grade this year and he also won't get a gift. My niece is also graduating 8th grade in another town. Knowing her parents, she'll probably get a new pony and a have a huge party. She already has an iPhone X, an Apple watch, and a Mac laptop so not sure what else they could get her at this point!

So chiming in from being raised in the NJ suburbs (b/c region seems to play a big role in some of these things). We didn't do anything for 5th grade, our elementary schools went up to 5th or 6th grade, so my brother did 6th grade in elementary where I did it in middle school. These was just seen as a natural progression. 8th grade graduation was a big ceremony in the school with awards and no caps/gowns but we had a business sort of dress code. My graduation party was just a BBQ with family and some family friends (none of my friends). I got a piece of jewelry from my parents and cash from others who attended the party. I also got a new dress and shoes for the ceremony, but nothing too fancy, we went to Marshalls the week before so I could just pick something out.

My poor mother had to do 6 graduation parties in total as my brother and I were two years apart. That is why each one was just a BBQ. For college my brother was out of state so his "party" was just us going down there to celebrate with his future in-laws as he & his wife were high school sweethearts. My college was just a lunch at a steak house chain with the family that went to the ceremony. I was happy keeping the party smalls and having them more often. It was nice to have family there at the ceremony's or seeing them the week after to celebrate each milestone.

Boys are hard to gift to. I would say if its 8th grade maybe see if there is a nice piece of clothing or items for his high school wardrobe that you would not normally splurge on. My brother still has a pair of brown doc marten shoes he got as a special high school gift. Other options are a fancier backpack or even waiting until fall for a nicer coat.

Kindergarten, 8th grade and other lower grade graduations are not something new. My mom would have been 82 this year and SHE had an 8th grade graduation. And she got a new dress, a gift from my grandparents and my dad (they were dating at the time) and there was a party.

I’m 39 and the only graduation I had was high school. After Kindergarten I just went to first grade, after 5th grade I just went to middle school and after 8th grade I just went to high school. No ceremonies or parties after any of them.

I always have to laugh at some of the comments in these discussions about graduations. Does anyone really think that those who do celebrate these milestones DON'T expect their child to finish the 8th grade? Or do you not expect your child to finish high school?

So did my parents, born in 1934 & 1938. Back then, it was not assumed that everyone went to high school, 8th grade was it for a lot of people in the rural/farming communities.

I’m 39 and the only graduation I had was high school. After Kindergarten I just went to first grade, after 5th grade I just went to middle school and after 8th grade I just went to high school. No ceremonies or parties after any of them.

Eh. . different places, different norms I guess.

I am older than you and Kindergarten wasn't required when I was 5. We went to "preschool" at 4 and then the Kindergarten class. We had a graduation/end of year program all rolled into one. My oldest son is a bit younger than you (35) and he had a Kindergarten graduation. He was in the first class with Kindergarten in public school, and it was just the precedent they set and they are still doing it now. Its just a middle of the day awards ceremony, more or less.

We all, my parents, my siblings, my nieces and nephews and my own kids, had 8th grade graduations. Like I said, its a semi-big thing here.

Either way, its nothing new. And everyone expects their kid to go from K to 1st, 5th to 6th, 8th to high school at the very lease, and most expect high school to college. Doesn't mean you can't celebrate these milestones.

In our district, they don't move up to the high school until 10th grade. There is no "graduation" for 9th grade, they just move on. As for a gift, I don't think we did much of anything; maybe a new backpack for the high school years. We held off on getting a laptop until high school graduation, when we'd have a much better idea of what was needed for college...and we gave both kids MacBooks that lasted throughout college (although DS still has 1 year to go)

When my daughter graduated from 8th grade, we brought her a nice bouquet of flowers to the ceremony and then took the family out for dinner afterwards. It is not a huge deal around here I guess.

My older son goes to a school that doesn't celebrate 8th grade graduation but little brother does. I don't plan to throw a party but I will probably give each of them something that will be useful for high school or some sort of spirit wear for the high school. It's a bigger deal at little brother's school because it's K-8. Big brother goes to a K-12 school.

We celebrated 8 grade "graduation" with a cake and ice cream after the awards ceremony and a new fishing pole.

We got each child their first lap-top for a high school graduation gift.

As with a previous poster, we had one family desk-top in a public area of the house for family use throughout their high school years.

Totally just curious....Are you Catholic? Confirmation for us in the Midwest is during sophomore year and I didn't realize it was done earlier anywhere.
I'm in the Midwest and Confirmation is in both 8th grade and high school. My current parish is 8th grade. For me as a kid it was 8th grade. But my best friend in high school was in a different parish (same diocese) and it was high school. Seems to have a fair amount of variation, but I don't think it's geographic because I know our two dioceses here have a fair chunk of both grade choices. I've always wondered why it has so much variation...

My kid graduates 8th grade this year. It's been a hellish school experience for him. He is super smart, and involved, and I am so proud. However, I cannot wait for him to walk out of that building for the last time. Anyway, we will probably go out to dinner on the night of his ceremony (Catholic school, full mass!), or something.

However, for coming out of the school as awesome as he is, even with things stacked against him, we are going to Disney 2 weeks later. He doesn't know, but it is all for him.

Better start saving for 2021 when I will have to do it for the younger one. And then 2022 when the older one will graduate high school. I am setting the precedent, apparently..

Also, confirmation is in 9th grade here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter