• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

9/11. 22 years ago! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Marie and I were going to celebrate our 30th anniversary that evening with a nice dinner out. Vince was still living at home then. He was getting ready in the bathroom to head to his fire department where he had his first firefighter/paramedic job. He was a probie at the time. I was watching the news, after the first tower was hit.

I called Vince out of the bathroom to watch the huge fire that was going on, with people not really knowing what had just occurred. While we were watching, the 2nd tower was hit. Life going forward changed forever. We did celebrate our 30th, and 31st, a year later, 2002.

Today, Vince has been a firefighter/paramedic for 23 years and Marie and I celebrate our 52nd anniversary. Our anniversary always has memories of that awful day, 22 years ago today.

I was home with my mom, who was recovering from her first cancer surgery, and my youngest niece who I watched during the day. We had cartoons on the TV for her. My sister called from work and said to put on CNN because a 'small plane' had hit the World Trade Center. We quickly switched over and the first tower was burning. Everybody I know thought it was just a terrible accident, that a Cessna or something hit the tower. Then the second plane hit on live TV and we could see that it was a commercial airplane. My mother said to me, "wow, the radar must be messed up that planes are hitting buildings." My mom was not a dumb person, she just couldn't fathom that it was on purpose. I said," we're under attack." I had to repeat myself a couple of times before she got it.

Then we got the report that a plane had crashed in Pennsylvania, and another one had hit the Pentagon. We were terribly scared by this time. I lived in Philadelphia, and I recall a real fear that maybe one of our historical sites could be a target. Everything in the city went into lockdown. The buses stopped and my sister (who at that time worked near Independence Hall) was let out of work and had to begin the walk home-but before she left she called me crying that school had called and they had dismissed my niece and nephew without warning. I quickly threw my shoes on and ran to the school, but couldn't find them. I then ran to my sister's house a few blocks away and they were sitting on the front steps crying. I took them to my house.

We watched TV for hours, days. The night of 9/11 I had to go to the supermarket to food shop. Instead of the usual upbeat music, they had the news radio playing over the loudspeaker. Nobody said a word that I remember, except in hushed tones, like we were all at a funeral. On 9/12 I went to the party supply store and bought a small American flag, which I taped to our outside railing. It's the only time I've ever displayed a flag, and it stayed up for a long time.

I watched TV day and night for weeks. I think I damaged my psyche very badly, because to this day I cannot watch any documentaries about that day. I just can't. My sister and her husband visited the 9/11 museum at Ground Zero on a trip to New York last year. I couldn't do that.

In 1998 I visited New York with some friends, and we went to the Twin Towers and took the tour. It was a five minute elevator ride to reach the top observation deck. I loved that tour, and remembered it on that terrible day just a few years later. I wondered if the lady who rang me up in the souvenir shop up there had been working on 9/11 and was now dead. For me, this nameless woman who had exchanged a few cheery words with me became the symbol of all who had lost their lives. When I got home from that 1998 trip, I found the ticket stub from the tour in my coat pocket and absently put it in my sewing kit as a small memento. It is still there.

I had a broken ankle and stuck in recliner. After fours days of wall to wall coverage, I felt guilty turning it off. It was like the people living the nightmare couldn't shut off the nightmare, neither should I.

I remember so many people decided to give blood across the country, blood banks had to say stop. There was no more room to store blood.

I came out of a day at school when I heard. "Terrorists have flown planes into the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon" I was told. Nah, I thought. Couldn't happen...

I do, however, miss how “United” we were back then. I wish my kids and grandchildren could know that feeling.

I always say I wish we could go back to 9/12 and have that feeling of being so united as a country.
I feel the opposite.

The only time the country is united to that degree is during times of war or tragedy.

I don't want my kids or grandchildren to ever have that feeling or experience.

My XH and I were 18 (not married yet). Our 1.5 year old son had a doctor's appointment that day so we had on GMA in the background. They broke from the show to say some kind of aircraft hit the tower. My XH immediately said terrorists. We had some time before his appointment so just watched until it was time to leave. We saw the second plane hit live. Right then we knew it was terrorists.

Two weeks later he signed up for USMC and in January 2002 went to basic training. In January 2003 he was deployed to Iraq and we got married 2 days before he left.

The day really changed the trajectory of my life, and his life and our son's life.

**To add some Disney to this, when he returned from Iraq we went to Disney in October 2003 for our first trip. We got 5 day park hoppers for $99 and I believe free admission to Sea World and Universal.

We found the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania to be even more moving than the 9/11 Memorial.

We haven’t been to the Ground Zero site but hope to do so one day. We’re currently making plans to drive to Washington in the next few weeks & intend to stop at the Shanksville Memorial on our way home. We’ve been to the Pentagon Memorial twice, both times on September 10th. It is beautiful & very moving.

On 9/12 I went to the party supply store and bought a small American flag, which I taped to our outside railing. It's the only time I've ever displayed a flag, and it stayed up for a long time.

We live in a suburban development. Our street is 2 blocks long, there are about 20 houses on each side of the street on each block. There are 2 smaller streets off our street, plus other streets off the 2nd block. Each house has the mailbox on a post curbside next to their driveway. When we woke on September 12th, there was a small flag (the kind placed in cemeteries to honor servicemen) stuck in the ground below every mailbox in the development. Someone placed all those flags overnight. We never found out who did it, but because of the amount of flags used, it must have been someone associated with a Veterans’s group or maybe a scout troop. It was beautiful & such a wonderful gesture by someone. We kept ours there until it snowed. This was only in our development, the next block over had nothing nor did the rest of the town. If we’re home, we always display our flag on 9/11.

I was getting ready to take my parents to the airport that morning & turned on the TV while I was getting ready. It was their 50th anniversary a few weeks earlier & the extended family had gifted them a surprise vacation that we had fully planned & booked. They were to fly from Buffalo across country. We were so thankful they weren’t on 1 of those planes & that they weren’t stuck across the country with no way home. I’ll always remember how bizarre it was to look in the sky & see no planes or contrails. And how eerily quiet it was to not hear planes or kids playing outside for days. I made it a point to vacation over 9/11 for most of the years since. It feels like I am taking something back from the terrorists who tried to destroy our way of life.

Last edited:
I was teaching a middle school - our school was being renovated, so the cable wasn't hooked back up yet. Someone came into the office and told the secretaries what happened and word sort of spread through the building. I had a training after school, but once we all got there, the lady running it talked about 20 or so minutes and said "I am cancelling the rest of this, everyone just go home and be with your families". When I got home, I turned on the TV and that's when it really hit me what had happened.

I was teaching a middle school - our school was being renovated, so the cable wasn't hooked back up yet. Someone came into the office and told the secretaries what happened and word sort of spread through the building. I had a training after school, but once we all got there, the lady running it talked about 20 or so minutes and said "I am cancelling the rest of this, everyone just go home and be with your families". When I got home, I turned on the TV and that's when it really hit me what had happened.
I saw the first plane story as soon as I went in from putting my 2 youngest on the school bus. Living in Pittsburgh, we were pretty removed from the NY tragedy. My kids were in 1st, 3rd, and 6th grades, and apparently a lot of parents had gone in to the schools to pull their kids out early. It never occurred to me to do that.

We are Canadian and lived less than five minutes from the New York State border at the time. I had just dropped my daughter off to kindergarten and came home to watch the Today show. As the events unfolded and my horror grew I ran out the door to go get her from school.

I’ll never forget seeing the fighter jets flying up and down the river that borders our countries. They were black and I’d never seen anything like them. Those memories will stick with me forever. What a horrible day for so many. Trust me when I say that day and the days following there was absolutely no difference between an American and a Canadian. Our closest allies and friends were hurting and Canadian hearts were broken for you all.

Last edited:
I was in college and had just gotten engaged four days prior to my ex husband who was in the military. I was in ceramics class where we always listened to this morning radio show where they were always joking around and making inappropriate comments. I remember the DJs voices going from happy and upbeat to sober and scared while they talked about how no one knew what was happening. Even though I had more classes that day I went home (I was living with my parents at the time) my mom was home since they had closed the base and sent all non essential employees home so we spent the day glued to the TV. My fiancé at the time wasn’t allowed to leave base and was told to pack because they could be leaving at any minute (he was already set to deploy the next month) He wasn’t allowed to call either and it was a few days before I was able to hear from him.

I was up, getting ready for work and getting kids ready for school and the babysitter. My oldest was in 3rd grade and really into landmark buildings. He had recently shared with me a story he read about a small plane that hit the Empire State Building. So when I saw the first plane hit, I went upstairs and turned on the TV so he could see what just happened. Then the second plane hit and I regretted showing him. It was a surreal day.

They still went to school and I went to work, in and out of doctor's offices all day (as a drug rep) catching tidbits of the story on TVs in waiting rooms.

I do find myself wondering if we could ever come together again as a country as we did after 9/11. I'm not sure we can.

I was 3 months pregnant with my first baby and I had come home late the night before from a trip. I woke up at 9:25 (10:25 NYC time) to the phone ringing. It was my husband calling from work and his words were “turn on the tv”. I knew it had to be something terrible. I asked what happened, and in about 10 seconds time he told me planes had flown into both trade center towers and into the pentagon. One tower had fallen and the other was about to. The movie Pearl Harbor had come out that year and that was all that went through my mind. In that moment of only having been conscious for less than 30 seconds I thought another country (probably Russia, since I was an 80s kid) had declared war on us and flown their military planes into our buildings. I asked him “are we at war” and all I could think was that the nuclear weapons were about to be headed for us. He said no, that it was terrorist. I’m ashamed to say but in that moment I actually felt a bit of relief. Obviously very short lived as I turned on the tv and saw the horror of what was going on. The second tower fell within moments of me starting to watch.

Our 2nd child was born 2 years later on Sept 11th (20 years old today!). As a child his room was decorated in red, white and blue and he had a firetruck bed. I took him to NYC for his 16th birthday and we toured the 9/11 memorial and museum. Very powerful, we stayed there many more hours than planned.

I was 19 and had just gotten a new job. I had to drive to New London, CT for training all week. We had a morning break and I remember seeing the news about the first plane. It was still early and it seemed almost like it was an accident, the way they were reporting it. As the morning went on, our trainer left and came back to say the second building was hit. Due to being so close to the sub base in Grouton we were sent home.

Driving home was about an hour drive and I was a nervous wreck. My now Dh was my finance at the time and he was a year into the USMC. He was regularly stationed in Camp Leguene but his unit was off training for a few months, I think California. I remember finally getting a call from him saying they were on high alert and already starting to pack up in case they need to be shipped somewhere. I don’t think I heard from him again until late that night. I ended up going over his sisters to stare at the tv in silence with his dad and sister.

My coworker is from her New Jersey. We were recently talking about 9/11. She was in middle school. Her dad is a linemen and he was working in the first building. He helped people get out and he was able to get out. She said as a kid she was picked up early by her aunt and was told not to turn on a tv all day. They didn’t hear from him all day and didn’t know if he was alive or not.
She says he doesn’t talk about it much but he is in a documentary about it and a talked about in a book.

I’m touched to see how 9/11 is still acknowledged. I hope it is never forgotten. I hope our future generations are taught about the tragedy yet heroism and unity that evolved afterwards. Thank you to our first responders and military. May we always remember all that never came home that day and the family members whose lives were changed forever (including mine) and those who are now sick or succumbed to illnesses and their families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter