9 days out and DS is puking

friedela

DIS Veteran
We are 9 days out before heading to Disneyland and my DS is throwing up today. :eek: Obviously we would never take him if he is sick, so that's not even a question in my mind but does anyone have any tips on how to get him over it quicker? Lots of rest, fluids, etc but anything else? This happened last time we went to DW except it was 3 weeks out and he got sick. I don't know why fate likes to frazzle my nerves like this, lol. I am lysol wiping everything in our house praying that he'll be ok and no one else will get sick.

Yeah he is fine 9 days out. Our kids recovered from it in about 3-4 days. The biggest worry is for the REST of your family. Norovirus and other stomach bugs can live on surfaces for a VERY long time making other family members sick days later. We had this rip through our entire household during our beach trip last year. :crazy2: We just made the best of it. It seems like it hit each of us 3 days apart so it was a two week affair for the 4 of us. Its almost better to drink after him and get it now.

Relax, you're seriously over-worrying. Nine days is an awful long time, it should be nothing but a distant memory by time you leave.

OP, most stomach bugs are of the 24hr. variety, and kids bounce back in a day or two at most. The one thing that could happen is passing it along through the family.
We always do everything we can to minimize ano. fam. mem. catching it, but it's very contagious and in the air in a compact environment like a home. Good luck to you, but even if others catch it, nine days should give you plenty of recovery time!

Relax, you're seriously over-worrying. Nine days is an awful long time, it should be nothing but a distant memory by time you leave.

Perhaps, but this is also coming from a mom whose son has been hospitalized twice in the last 4 years for phnemonia that started exactly like this.. So maybe I do need to "relax", but that is a bit tougher to do given our previous hospitalizations (first time was 5 days in hospital, 2nd time was 6 days in hospital).

I am sure he will be ok, and I hope that it will be a distant memory by the time we leave, but that doesn't mean we aren't gonna worry a bit more in our case.

We are 9 days out before heading to Disneyland and my DS is throwing up today. :eek: Obviously we would never take him if he is sick, so that's not even a question in my mind but does anyone have any tips on how to get him over it quicker? Lots of rest, fluids, etc but anything else? This happened last time we went to DW except it was 3 weeks out and he got sick. I don't know why fate likes to frazzle my nerves like this, lol. I am lysol wiping everything in our house praying that he'll be ok and no one else will get sick.

"Flat" ginger ale and Pepto! (Not at same time)

Perhaps, but this is also coming from a mom whose son has been hospitalized twice in the last 4 years for phnemonia that started exactly like this.. So maybe I do need to "relax", but that is a bit tougher to do given our previous hospitalizations (first time was 5 days in hospital, 2nd time was 6 days in hospital).

I am sure he will be ok, and I hope that it will be a distant memory by the time we leave, but that doesn't mean we aren't gonna worry a bit more in our case.

More information is helpful to reply to your feelings. :) Given the history I would just be really vigilant. I’m sure you know the signs if things are turning into more than just a simple stomach bug. So IF he starts showing any sign, I would take him in ASAP. Maybe a call to his Dr. for a heads up/reassurance would help? I know there isn’t much of anything they can do, but sometimes it helps Mom. :)

I would be more worried about someone else getting it right at departure date or just after you get there than getting son over it. your biggest problem is he has already spread it before he got sick not just after he did

He will be fine by tomorrow, probably. Your trip will not be impacted by this. Have a great time!

Pneumonia can be an issue of course, however, it is usually a secondary infection due to a flu-like virus and the body being unable to fight it efficiently. Without knowing too much of your personal history (obviously) you can always speak to your doctor or nurse to see if Tamiflu would be an option. This is usually only given to children that are considered 'high risk' of complications, that is something you and your doctor can discuss. Influenza Type A is doing the rounds on an Epidemic scale up and down the West Coast, so definitely nothing to shake a stick at!

As others have said, I would keep them hydrated, calories up, let them rest. If it looks like it is migrating into a sinus infection that is a potential indicator of it migrating further south into the respiratory tract, and as you have found this can often cause pneumonia. Hopefully this will just be a 24hr virus that can be fought off and the symptoms cleared up with nothing more than a little love and affection!

Good luck!

After dealing with literally dozens of stomach bugs, the only one that lasted long was rotavirus, which had my one year old twins laid out for more than a week. The rest ran their course in 25/48 hours.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We are at Day 4 since the fever showed up and he still isn't any better. I'm taking him to a doctor today just to be safe.

My youngest has a really hard time getting over stomach bugs. The rest of us usually get over them in 24 hours, but he has a heck of a time holding down fluids, he gets dehydrated and it’s very challenging to introduce solid food back in. He usually ends up needing a Zofran prescription to curb the nausea so we can get him hydrated and back on his feet again.

I hope the doctor was able to help today!

I don't blame you for worrying. This past winter was absolute hell for my family as far as stomach bugs go. My 10 year old had a stomach bug/fever virus that lasted two full weeks in March. She lost so much weight (including muscle since she really didn't have much weight to lose to begin with), and couldn't eat normally for almost a month.

Hopefully since spring has sprung, you will be luckier and this will pass by week's end. Even if he is tired and not 100%, I am sure he will be recovered enough to travel. Lots and lots of electrolytes! If he won't take any gatorade, put it in a medicine syringe and administer it like you would liquid motrin or tylenol. The dehydration is such a huge part of recovery for the bug.

Enjoy your trip. I am sure this will be a distant & unpleasant memory by the time you are all on your way!

How is he doing?

Thanks for checking in! Fever finally broke as of yesterday but he's still coughing like crazy. Because of his past stints with pneumonia he usually carries a nasty cough for a while, sometimes up to a month. He had some drainage coming from his one ear so I'm taking him back in to the doctor tomorrow to check for infection :( So long as his fever doesn't come back and he doesn't take a really bad turn and decline I think we will be alright to still go, but we are watching him like crazy and still worrying a bit.

Last edited:
I don't blame you for worrying. This past winter was absolute hell for my family as far as stomach bugs go. My 10 year old had a stomach bug/fever virus that lasted two full weeks in March. She lost so much weight (including muscle since she really didn't have much weight to lose to begin with), and couldn't eat normally for almost a month.

Hopefully since spring has sprung, you will be luckier and this will pass by week's end. Even if he is tired and not 100%, I am sure he will be recovered enough to travel. Lots and lots of electrolytes! If he won't take any gatorade, put it in a medicine syringe and administer it like you would liquid motrin or tylenol. The dehydration is such a huge part of recovery for the bug.

Enjoy your trip. I am sure this will be a distant & unpleasant memory by the time you are all on your way!

Oh I hadn't even thought of gatorade! Thanks so much! I will try that :)

Aww that sounds absolutely awful :( These bugs can be really nasty sometimes! It's been a while since my boy has been very ill but every time he gets that cough and a fever I am instantly worried it's going to get worse. He's so little and doesn't have much meat on him (sounds like your DD as well!)

We were at a playground today just to get outside and get some fresh air and he played happily for a couple hours so I am relieved to see him starting to bounce back.. he was totally wiped afterwards and went to bed super early but it's improvement so I'll take it :) I'm sure we'll be ok to travel, just as long as he doesn't suddenly go downhill which is how pneumonia goes. We are cutting it close which makes me so nervous, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter