9 Parks. 8 Days. A December 2016 All Orlando Trip Report

MinnieLovesTigger

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm Lily and welcome to my trip report!

Who are we? A pair of forty somethings from Washington DC and one adventurous but elderly cat.

Me: Lily, 43, lawyer, Disney freak, hyper-obsessive planner, Jewish but loves most things Christmas.

DH: James, 47, cynic, loves rides and roller coasters, occasionally tolerant of parades, shows, characters, and fireworks. Enjoys the benefits of hyper-obsessive planning but could live without the drama.

Kitty1: Sophie, 22, Maine Coon. Doesn't believe being a cat is reason to stay home. Enjoys car trips and sleeping.

Kitty2 and MonsterDog will not be participating in this trip.

Where are we going? Where aren't we going? After a not so magical WDW trip in March, this trip was intended to be a quick break for some December warmth on the other side of the Orlando. Then I decided we should go to MVMCP. Followed by worry that the other Disney parks would be sad if we didn't visit them too. So now we are planning to do it all: Universal, Discovery Cove, Sea World, Aquatica, and all four Disney parks + MVMCP. Plus driving back and forth between DC and Orlando with a cat.

It's going to be epic!

Last edited:
The Sea World dilemma. I also want to quickly address Sea World before moving on. This was a difficult decision for us. Sea World San Diego was one of my favorite places as a child. I've also watched Blackfish and read reports disputing Blackfish.

I'm the end, I did a lot of research, talked to some experts, discussed with DH, and made a decision that was right for us. We are members of the Smithsonian National Zoo as well as the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I love the Animal Kingdom and the Seas at Epcot. I also have three beloved animals living in my home.

In the end, I think all that we can do is be educated and aware and try not to do harm. What that means is different for everyone.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, this sounds crazy already! I'm in! I have so many questions. Why is the cat coming? LOL.

::waits patiently::

We're going next month too!

(Edited because I read the post title so now I know you're staying nine days.)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, this sounds crazy already! I'm in! I have so many questions. Why is the cat coming? LOL.

::waits patiently::

We're going next month too!

(Edited because I read the post title so now I know you're staying nine days.)

Yay! A follower!! And a fellow December traveler!!!

Miss Kitty is remarkably healthy for a 22 year old cat but is on arthritis medications. She puts up quite a fight if anyone other than me tries to give them to her. In recent years, she's also gotten quite anxious if left for more than a few days. She is well travelled and at this point it is just easier to take her with the us. She is as happy as a clam in the car and in a hotel as long as she can sleep with us as a night. So, while I would dearly love to avoid driving and have more hotel options, she accompanies us on most trips.

Last edited:

With work finally done for the day, back to the plans! It will be fun at the end of this to compare the hypothetical plan with what really happens!

Friday, December 2: After dropping Kitty2 and MonsterDog with my parents, we will finish loading up the car and start the drive south. We expect that total driving time will be around 13 hours and would like to get at least half of that out of the way. Goal for the day is somewhere in South Carolina.

Saturday, December 3: After breakfast at my required road trip staple, the Cracker Barrel, we will start driving again. Depending on timing and weather, we may make a quick stop at the UFO Welcome Center in Bowman, at least for a fun photo op.

IMG_0118.JPG

We would like to reach our home for the next 8 nights, The Residence Inn Sea World by 3:30 because check-in time is at 4:00.

Once we are checked in and have Sophie settled, we will be heading straight to Sea World. Our Discovery Cove admission - the true centerpiece of this trip - also gives us 14 days of admission to Sea World, Aquatica, and for my husband, Busch Gardens. It is unlikely that he will go to BG but the add-on also gets us free parking at all of the parks. The included parking and admission is great because I think it will make it easier for us to see the shows and exhibits while fitting in the rest of our packed itinerary.

Anyway, assuming we successfully settle in, we plan to head straight for Sea World and its Christmas spectacular.

IMG_0120.JPG

It doesn't close until 10:00 and we would like to try to fit in the Sea Lion and Shamu Christmas shows as well as the ice skating show and fireworks. We will probably skip O Wondrous Night and the Elmo show. DH is looking forward to riding Manta while I browse the Christmas Market.

IMG_0121.JPG

Then it's off to bed and a good night's sleep in preparation for Day 2!

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1

Signing up for your trip report!! Sounds like a great start and you and your DH seem to have a lot of similarities to me and my BF! We just don't have any animals, but especially for my BF this is not because he does not want them but because of practical reasons in our life, it just does not work at the moment. I really like it how many Orlando attractions you have packed into your trip!

Following along! I'm doing a similar trip in December, but as of now, we are only attending MVMCP and not the other Disney parks :sad2:. In addition to the party, we are going to SeaWorld, Aquatica (weather permitting), Discovery Cove, and Busch Gardens Tampa.

Signing up for your trip report!! Sounds like a great start and you and your DH seem to have a lot of similarities to me and my BF! We just don't have any animals, but especially for my BF this is not because he does not want them but because of practical reasons in our life, it just does not work at the moment. I really like it how many Orlando attractions you have packed into your trip!

Welcome!! Being at the beck and call of four-footed overlords is definitely not a requirement!

Following along! I'm doing a similar trip in December, but as of now, we are only attending MVMCP and not the other Disney parks :sad2:. In addition to the party, we are going to SeaWorld, Aquatica (weather permitting), Discovery Cove, and Busch Gardens Tampa.

Glad to have you! Skipping the other parks is probably the sensible thing to do!

So continuing on with the hypothetical plan....

Sunday, December 3 - After breakfast at the hotel, we head back to Sea World for 9:00 opening. I managed to snag the BOGO All Day Dining Deal when they accidentally released their Blue Friday sales earlier this week so we will make this a full day. With the help of the Quick Queue and Priority Seating we get for staying at an official hotel, I'm hoping we will be able to see all of the day shows, get the husband on his coasters, and see everything else. The Christmas Celebration starts up again in the evening so we will have a chance at anything we missed on Saturday. I really want to meet the Abominable Snowman! We will stop when we finish or when the park closes at 9:00.

Monday, December 5 - Discovery Cove Day!!! I am so excited by this since I've never before gotten to swim with a dolphin. Also looking forward to snorkeling and general relaxation!

After Discovery Cove, we have an ADR at Boma, my very favorite restaurant at Disney World. We will have dinner and then check out the hotel decorations.

Tuesday, December 6 - This is going to be a pretty leisurely morning. Breakfast at the hotel with nothing else on my the schedule except . . . The Penguins Up Close Tour! I get to pet a penguin!!!!!!!!! I am more excited by this than almost anything. My deal loving self is a little irritated by this week's announcement that this tour will also be a Blue Friday BOGO and we are already booked and paid. I don't want to cancel and lose the spot so I suppose I'll just try this book it again next Friday at the sale price and then call to get it straightened out.

After the penguins, we are venturing into greater Orlando to meet an old friend for lunch somewhere local.

Then we are off to the Magic Kingdom for MVMCP!!! Isn't this like the best day ever? I've almost gotten over my crushing disappointment at learning Mary Poppins and Bert won't have penguins with them this year. We plan to enter the park at 4:00 and have FP+ for Big Thunder, Peter Pan, and Space.

DH wants to ride, ride, ride all night long but is willing to watch the second parade and Holiday Wishes with me. I plan to meet Mary Poppins, Bert, Minnie, and Daisy in addition to watching the parade and fireworks. I probably lack the patience to wait in line for Nick and Judy but we will see. Will skip the rest of the shows in favor of rides. I'm starting to wish that we had gone to MVMCP on an earlier December trip where we had more WDW trip. I want to experience a fair amount of party stuff but we also have so little Disney park time!

Back later with more of the plan!

Your plans sound great so far! My husband and I are going to SeaWorld Saturday night, all day Sunday the 3rd, and Discovery Cove on Monday the 4th; just like you two. Hopefully, we have good weather for Discovery Cove! I think if you call SeaWorld when the Blue Friday deal starts, they will take care of it for you. I've never done the Penguins Up Close Tour, so I'm not sure how much better it is, but I have done the Behind the Scenes Tour which is a lot cheaper. You get to pet a penguin (two fingers), pet a shark (tiny shark, two fingers), see manatees and turtles, and get a guided tour behind the scenes with lots of great info and questions answered. Some advice for visiting the penguins; do not go on any rides where you might get wet or watch any shows near the splash zone prior to your tour and bring a hoodie if you can. We were damp from a show and in shorts and tank tops and it was extremely cold in the enclosure.

That's great that we are overlapping. We will have to compare notes after the fact!

We've been going round and round on what tour to do - penguins up close is definitely on the expensive side and the budget for this trip has already been completely blown. In the end, I'm really obsessed with the little guys and have been for years. The hope is that this tour will prevent from booking a National Geographic Expedition tour to Antarctica that we really can't afford. It could of course just fan the flames and I'll have to send the fur children out to get jobs so that their mother can commune with penguins.

Thank you for the tips about staying warm! I have been worried about how to make sure we get maximum enjoyment before the shivering takes over.

On to hypothetical Wednesday!

December 4 - This will probably be our roughest day, after Tuesday's late night. After breakfast at the hotel, we are headed to rope drop at Hollywood Studios. Plan is to do RnR (including me, yikes!), TSMM, GMR, Muppets, and maybe Star Tours. DH will go ride RnR again while I meet Olaf. Quick stop for a shared cupcake at Starring Rolls and we are off to Epcot!

We have FP+ for Soarin', Spaceship Earth, and Living with the Land. I'd like to grab the fabled FEA but it hasn't happened. We will probably try to ride during Illuminations. No ADRs because I'm one of the odd people who don't really like the Epcot table service restaurants. We love the Boulangerie and also do well at Sunshine Seasons but honestly the rest of the day is about snacking, particularly on macaron ice cream sandwiches and churros. We will start by working through Future World between our FPs and then move on to the World Showcase as the sun sets.

Thursday, December 5 - breakfast at the hotel followed by rope drop at Islands of Adventure. DH will start with the Hulk while I go see Ollivander. Then we will regroup for Seuss land, Spider Man, King Kong, and the animal actors show. We will then take the Hogwarts Express over to Diagon Alley and Universal Florida. Looking forward to gringott's, MIB, the mummy, and ET. We will probably watch the horror make up show and do a few of the simulator rides (too many make me sick). Not sure about lunch but we will fit it in somewhere.

I plan to watch the Macy's parade at 5 while DH goes back to IOA for more Dueling Dragons and Hulk. We will then watch the Cinematic Spectacular and head off to dinner at Mellow Mushroom.

Last edited:
Yay! A follower!! And a fellow December traveler!!!

Miss Kitty is remarkably healthy for a 22 year old cat but is on arthritis medications. She puts up quite a fight if anyone other than me tries to give them to her. In recent years, she's also gotten quite anxious if left for more than a few days. She is well travelled and at this point it is just easier to take her with the us. She is as happy as a clam in the car and in a hotel as long as she can sleep with us as a night. So, while I would dearly love to avoid driving and have more hotel options, she accompanies us on most trips.

Oh that makes sense. We always miss our kitties when we travel but they hate the car so much.

Your plans sounds great so far!

Had to laugh at your Antarctica trip comment! I love penguins, too, and that tour sounds very interesting. I still haven't made it to Sea World because I always end up being dragged into the Disney bubble.

When we were at Universal in December I really enjoyed the Grinchmas show. It is very good! I would totally recommend trying to see it.

Oh that makes sense. We always miss our kitties when we travel but they hate the car so much.

Your plans sounds great so far!

Thank you!

Had to laugh at your Antarctica trip comment! I love penguins, too, and that tour sounds very interesting. I still haven't made it to Sea World because I always end up being dragged into the Disney bubble.

When we were at Universal in December I really enjoyed the Grinchmas show. It is very good! I would totally recommend trying to see it.

DH and I saw Grinchmas on our 2013 trip. I loved it so much I was ready to book the Seuss character breakfast this trip. He begged me not to because the show made him want to "gouge his eyes out." So it sounds like I will be seeing it by myself this year while he rides the Hulk over and over and over.

I'm back with hypothetical Thursday! Only 11 days until we head South so I've got to get cracking!!

Thursday is our first scheduled Universal day. We plan to start with IOA because USF has early hours for resort guests. Current plan is to head straight to Kong and then send DH on the Hulk while I amuse myself taking pictures in Seussland.

We will also ride Superman and a few of the Seuss rides. Will skip the water rides and the drop tower. Then off to Hogsmeade! Dragon challenge for DH while I do Ollivander's and picture taking. Then a quick circuit or two on the Flight of the Hippogriff (don't forget to bow!) plus some butter beer before boarding the Hogwart's Express
for Diagon Alley.

I'm one of the few people visiting that week that is thankful about the unexpected Forbidden Journey refurbishment. I suffer from pretty bad motion sickness on simulator rides and am afraid of what the mechanics of that particular ride will do to me. We've visited twice since it's been open and I haven't ridden but it is always a battle of should I or shouldn't I. Glad to not have to worry about it.

Once in Diagon Alley, I plan to poke around for a good long while since I haven't seen it yet. We will also ride the Gringott's coaster. Possible lunch at Leaky Cauldron but more likely to go to Finnegan's or Lombards. Afternoon plan includes Mummy a time or two, Men in Black and ET at least two times a piece, and the Animal Actors show. We will also fit in Transformers, Terminator, and maybe Minion Mayhem.

I plan to settle in to watch the Macy's Holiday Parade at 5 while DH goes for another ride on the Hulk and Dragon Challenge before putting our name in for dinner at the Toothsome Chocolate Factory.

We will then settle in on the exit side of the lagoon to watch the Cinematic Spectacular. Unless the dinner text arrives! At which point we will run, run, run to steam-punk chocolate goodness.

If Toothsome doesn't work out, we will probably go have dinner at Mellow Mushroom before collapsing for the night.

Exhausted yet? Moving on to hypothetical Friday!

We are starting the day at Universal again. It's really only a one day park for us since we try to go when crowds are low. But we always schedule a short second day with plans for a relaxing afternoon (not this trip!). We will do a few favorites again and see anything we missed on Thursday. I will probably watch Grinchmas while DH rides Hulk. Again. Can you tell he loves that thing?

And then comes the wrinkle on my trip planning thoroughness. I can pretty much tell you what we will be doing every minute of every day (assuming no incompetent wizards mess with plans). Except Friday afternoon. Which has me in a hyper-planner pickle.

Afternoon Option 1: if the weather is nice; we will go to Aquatica and see the Commerson Dolphins and float in both the lazy and rapid rivers.

Afternoon Option 2: if the weather isn't nice; we will go to Toothsome if the Thursday evening plan fails.

Afternoon Option 3: If the weather is bad and we successfully ate at Toothsome on Thursday, we'll head for WDW and do a resort monorail tour before heading to the Wilderness Lodge for drinks and appetizers at the Artist Point lounge.

Evening Option 1: if we still haven't finished Sea World, we will go back there.

Evening Option 2: Disney Springs. Maybe dinner at Frontera Cocina.

Evening Option 3: The monorail and Wilderbess Lodge tour fro. Afternoon Option 3.

Then it's off to bed because there is still one full day left in this crazy week and rope drop is at 8:00 AM!

I plan to settle in to watch the Macy's Holiday Parade at 5 while DH goes for another ride on the Hulk and Dragon Challenge before putting our name in for dinner at the Toothsome Chocolate Factory.

I was so confused thinking you were going back to your hotel to watch a parade..and then I thought "Macy's doesn't have a parade on tv next Thursday"...so I googled that there's a parade at Universal the week after Thanksgiving with most of the floats from the NYC one. That is SO COOL. My dad wanted us to go to the NYC parade one year when we were little but we got there and it was FREEZING so we left. It will be much nicer in Orlando!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter