9 people Christmas week, which resort?

tripplanner2

DIS Veteran
So my mom decides on the spur of the moment last night that she wants to take our family to Disney for Christmas this year. We make reservations at POR in 2 rooms and pay the deposit. I wake up at 3 am and cannot sleep because of the cost. There has to be a better way to do this. I am already looking to cancel the package and only book rooms. I can get discounted tickets from an authorized broker. My mom will be in a scooter and I am envisioning the transportation being a disaster. Please...any help!!!

9 people in a Disney resort ? Really no way to get it at a reasonable cost. Personally I would book 2 cabins at fort wilderness. 9 people in 2 hotel rooms is tight especially with a scooter. St the cabins you can save a ton of money on food. You can cook and bbq. They are way roomier and have Ramps for scooters. There’s also so much to do at the resort itself so it is way more relaxing.

9 people in a Disney resort ? Really no way to get it at a reasonable cost. Personally I would book 2 cabins at fort wilderness. 9 people in 2 hotel rooms is tight especially with a scooter. St the cabins you can save a ton of money on food. You can cook and bbq. They are way roomier and have Ramps for scooters. There’s also so much to do at the resort itself so it is way more relaxing.
I love love love the cabins, and I know the cabin itself would be manageable with a scooter, but I wouldn't want to try to navigate that resort with someone who is mobility-impaired. A stroller is bad enough.

Cabins are sold out. We are looking at All Star Music in 3 rooms. Slightly lower in cost yet more space. I will definitely bring it up.

I'm assuming Pop is sold out, that would be my other recommendation. 3 rooms there, but I would act fast on whatever you choose. Whatever availability there is for the holidays won't be there much longer.

My concern with offsite is the ability to gain park access.
I think that the park reservation system puts that concern to rest. If you have a park reservation, you have access to that park. My greater concern would be transportation to the parks with a scooter (unless you plan to rent one of Disney's park scooters) when staying offsite.

POP may be worth it for Skyliner access? At least a break from buses sometimes. Wow! Already sold out :( it may help to keep checking.

Make/keep a booking now so you have something, then keep your eye out everywhere for better deals. Maybe Swan & Dolphin end up with something competitively priced (closer to the date is the likeliest to find deal), which may also include deluxe EMH perk along with walkabilty to 2 parks. If you can find similar or lower pricing to POR may be worth the switch.

This year has many uncertainties… December could stay hard and costly to book or maybe good deals eventually come. Free food has been offered in the past with Mod stays with checkin before Christmas, something like that applied to your POR reservation would help a lot. Goodluck!

I would highly recommend continuing to look for availability at resorts that offer you some form of transportation in addition to a bus - AoA, Pop, CBR. Yes, costs are astronomical that week, but having easier access to the parks is worth the cost if you can swing it. Every form of transportation will be very crowded that week, however, with buses, you have to contend with crowds AND traffic. Pack your patience.

If there was ever a year to do off-site, this would be it. With the park reservation system, you won't have to worry about being turned away due to capacity. Book your parks and stay off-site at a house, suite, or villa. The only issue will be getting to the park and paying for parking, but I'm willing to bet that you'll still save a ton. Having gone many years during Christmas week (and going back this week) I can tell you that it's crazy expensive and there's literally no getting around the costs.

Absolutely go off-site. The savings are too huge not to. You can rent a van if need be, and still save a ton. Plus, you'll have a 3- or 4-bedroom house, with possibly a pool of your own, to come back home to and relax in. There are so many options on Airbnb or Booking.com in the Kissimmee area. Most are within a 15-20 minute drive of the parks.

We've done plenty of onsite and offsite stays, and while I do love the Disney bubble, it's no contest with the prices being what they are this year. Especially since the onsite perks are so reduced.

Look at confirmed reservations for DVC rentals. A 2 bedroom at Old Key West would be a good bet. Consider a split stay, not the most convenient but last minute, Christmas and 50th you are going to have to be flexible.

Look at confirmed reservations for DVC rentals. A 2 bedroom at Old Key West would be a good bet. Consider a split stay, not the most convenient but last minute, Christmas and 50th you are going to have to be flexible.
I would love this. I cannot figure DVC out. Everyone says it is a good deal but when I go on Daves site it is so expensive. We are going this summer for my daughter's makeup birthday trip and staying at the Dolphin. Priced out the same as Pop.

I will look at an off-site house too. Even Bonnet Creek is really nice. With a van rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter