90 day recovery status?

Has anyone used Quick MD to get a recovery letter? I made appts with them to get recovery letters for my family on Sunday for our 2/25 cruise. Hoping it's a smooth process.

Because the letter is supposed to state that you are "clear to sail." There's liability tied up in that statement. It's not just saying that you tested positive for COVID-19 and recovered, it's also saying they are verifying you are clear to sail. Depending on how they are writing that letter (did they do an actual physical, or just over the phone, or . . .?), they might not actually know if you are clear to sail (what if you had tested positive and then got COVID-19 again right before leaving?). So some don't want to make that "clear to sail" statement (probably especially if they did not see you in person to verify your health status).

Safe Passage wants the letter to say "cleared for travel" (see below last sentence in #2) not "cleared to sail" . I think that makes a difference. What would happen if a Doctor examined you and found you fit to travel and wrote "cleared for travel" and then you got sick somewhere along the way. Do you really think the cruise line or hotel or airline is going to go after the doctor? Omicron was so rampant that I don't think it would be possible to blame or hold anyone liable. Using that logic why would any doctor write a note that you are cleared to go back to work? Wouldn't they be worried the workplace would go after them if the person wound up sick at work? I have not heard of any doctors not writing a note for someone to go back to work so it doesn't make sense to me that they won't write a letter to let you travel.

MJ

Last edited:

We just got our Clear to Sail for our 2/25 cruise. Submitted everything this afternoon and all 5 of us were cleared about 5 hours later. The only silver lining to having Covid over Christmas is the fact it makes travel easier now.

I will mention one point. Our family has the same family doctor and she wrote one note for all 5 of us. We submitted that note with each person’s test results and it cleared with no problem. I read in earlier posts that we might need a separate note for each person so I was a little concerned it would cause a hiccup.

Thank you to everyone that has shared their experience in this thread. The information has been so valuable as we have navigated the checkin and Safe Passage process.

Safe Passage wants the letter to say "cleared for travel" (see below last sentence in #2) not "cleared to sail" . I think that makes a difference. What would happen if a Doctor examined you and found you fit to travel and wrote "cleared for travel" and then you got sick somewhere along the way. Do you really think the cruise line or hotel or airline is going to go after the doctor? Omicron was so rampant that I don't think it would be possible to blame or hold anyone liable. Using that logic why would any doctor write a note that you are cleared to go back to work? Wouldn't they be worried the workplace would go after them if the person wound up sick at work? I have not heard of any doctors not writing a note for someone to go back to work so it doesn't make sense to me that they won't write a letter to let you travel.
MJ

I mean "clear to travel" not "clear to sail," my brain just didn't come up with quite the right terminology. And in a field as litigious as medicine, yes, I could see some healthcare providers not wanting to take on that liability. Not everyone, but some. I'm not saying anyone necessarily would go after them; however, there is still some fear/anxiety on the part of the healthcare provider that they could, so they don't want to take that on. In typically return to work scenarios, doctors have to do a physical or some sort of check to ensure you are fit to return to work. With COVID-19 that might be different; however, work is something that people 'have' to do (as in, they need to earn money), whereas cruising is not a 'need,' it's a 'want.' Their threshold is probably a bit different. I don't know for sure, and you are right that I've not heard of anyone not clearing someone for work, but I'm guessing that's because circumstances might be a bit different.

I mean "clear to travel" not "clear to sail," my brain just didn't come up with quite the right terminology. And in a field as litigious as medicine, yes, I could see some healthcare providers not wanting to take on that liability. Not everyone, but some. I'm not saying anyone necessarily would go after them; however, there is still some fear/anxiety on the part of the healthcare provider that they could, so they don't want to take that on. In typically return to work scenarios, doctors have to do a physical or some sort of check to ensure you are fit to return to work. With COVID-19 that might be different; however, work is something that people 'have' to do (as in, they need to earn money), whereas cruising is not a 'need,' it's a 'want.' Their threshold is probably a bit different. I don't know for sure, and you are right that I've not heard of anyone not clearing someone for work, but I'm guessing that's because circumstances might be a bit different.
You are pretty accurate here. I have a degree in healthcare administration and worked doing crisis management for a hospital until this past year, and this all boils down to one of a few scenarios. One being a practitioners comfort level, especially with something like Covid where they might not know how it affected someone. They don’t want to say someone who recently recovered is fine, then that person gets to a remote island and has a heart issue (or middle of the ocean) due to heart damage from inflammation. Then they fear it all comes back to them, that the cruise line comes back going “you said they were fine!”. We all know DCL only cares about us carrying Covid on board, but doctors think far beyond that. They could also work for a practice that doesn’t allow it due to insurance, or alone in practice and insurance reasons. Malpractice insurance isn’t cheap, and if you have someone come after you it’s even less so after that, so many practices/practitioners may feel uncomfortable writing this kind of letter because they don’t know what could happen if they get it wrong. It’s not so much they worry about you, they worry about themselves. Then there are doctors who think they’re too busy and that they don’t have time for it. My last doctor was like that (that’s why he’s not my doctor anymore). If it wasn’t life or death he didn’t want to hear it, and that would include a safe to travel letter. I can almost hear him now telling me he’s not my mom, he shouldn’t have to write excuse notes for me 😐😒

Got our positive tests now we just need the letters. Hope this works out as it's the only positive to getting Covid. One less stress.

Got our positive tests now we just need the letters. Hope this works out as it's the only positive to getting Covid. One less stress.
I hope you all get better quickly, this is probably the only positive thing about getting it right now. I just told my husband that now would be the perfect time for everyone to just get sick if they’re going to get sick. Everyone is vaccinated so it won’t be too horrible (I’ve already had it, they keep not getting it from me some how), he has a doctor who will write the letters for us, and we still have 6 weeks to get better.

I hope you all get better quickly, this is probably the only positive thing about getting it right now. I just told my husband that now would be the perfect time for everyone to just get sick if they’re going to get sick. Everyone is vaccinated so it won’t be too horrible (I’ve already had it, they keep not getting it from me some how), he has a doctor who will write the letters for us, and we still have 6 weeks to get better.
Thank you! We are all on the mend. Although having Covid kinda sucked I was glad we all got in now.

I was just looking at the last PCR test I had (negative, but I'm going to do 1 more before my upcoming cruise). There is a "Collected Date" (the date I had my nose swabbed) and a "Received Date" (1 day later ... presumably the date the sample was received at the lab)

Does anyone know which date SafePassage looks at? My next test will be more than 11 days before the cruise, but since it'll be over a weekend, I'm not sure when it'll be received at the lab.

I was just looking at the last PCR test I had (negative, but I'm going to do 1 more before my upcoming cruise). There is a "Collected Date" (the date I had my nose swabbed) and a "Received Date" (1 day later ... presumably the date the sample was received at the lab)

Does anyone know which date SafePassage looks at? My next test will be more than 11 days before the cruise, but since it'll be over a weekend, I'm not sure when it'll be received at the lab.

I believe it is the collection date. They ask for the date of positive test and I entered the day we were tested and it was accepted.

My fully vaccinated and boosted (where applicable) family tested positive on some at-home antigen tests after we had an exposure. Because we all had mild symptoms, we didn't see a doctor or get any further testing (other than my husband who had to get a PCR to work from home) and we stayed home for the full 10 days. Now we are all healthy and back at work/school (and I am catching up on Disboards!) and just seeing the details about this 90-Day exemption.

I am guessing we are out of luck since we didn't get a PCR (aside from DH).

What should we do now? I thought about making appointments to have a PCR before we leave just to be sure it would be negative (and then if it IS positive, trying to apply for the exemption). What date would I need to do that?

If it were you, would you do that or just hope for the best and test at the port? I do have a handful of at-home tests but I don't think I understand how sensitive they are compared to the port tests. If we are all negative on the at-home Antigens, does that mean we have a good chance to be negative at port?

Thanks for any advice...

I would test now. If you're negative, no worries. If you're positive, you have your positive results within your 90 days for the exemption.

just saw from a active cruiser currently on the Fantasy, Jamaica would not let anyone off the ship who had the 90 day recover letter. I’m guessing they refused them because they were not tested within their guidelines. Folks should keep an eye on this if getting off the ship is part of your plan. This was the first time stopping at Jamaica again.

I heard about the Jamaica situation as well including that the people with a 90-day letter had to wait in the lounge 3 hours, while Disney desperately tried to iron out the situation (to no avail). They were though given a $200OBC and refunded their port fees, I guess, so at least there was some compensation.

I heard about the Jamaica situation as well including that the people with a 90-day letter had to wait in the lounge 3 hours, while Disney desperately tried to iron out the situation (to no avail). They were though given a $200OBC and refunded their port fees, I guess, so at least there was some compensation.

id welcome $200 not to go to Jamaica. 😂

Wait how much?
Never mind. As a dyslexic I read it as $2000 OBC.

I wonder if any of the other ports are enforcing this as well? We are on the EBC, so now I really hope our itinerary isn't changed last minute. I love Jamaica, so it would be doubly disappointing if our itinerary is changed and we can't even enjoy that port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter