99 Cents Only Stores closing down all stores

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
They’re in four states (California, Arizona, Nevada, and Texas). I preferred them to their biggest competitor (Dollar Tree) since they typically had better selection, larger stores, and fresh produce. The name wasn’t always accurate. A lot was 99.99 cents as well as a lot of items for more. However, even at $1.29 or more, a lot of their items were priced really well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...nly-stores-closing-all-locations/73212030007/

I've never seen one here.
I go to Dollar store and it is $1.25 - $5.00 now

Sad news but they haven’t been a 99 cents only store in years… ever since they got bought out by a different group…

I’m going to miss it. I only started shopping there in 2017 but before that I was a snob. I thought it was a yucky store u til I went in there oneday. For some reason I thought it was one of those discount stores that have old junky stuff that other stores couldn’t sell and expired food items.
My sister always shopped there and would talk about it. Oneday she brought some fresh fruit platter she made. Fruit looked so good and fresh and at that time things were actually.99 so I was sold. Then I became addicted to all the awesome brand new stuff and fruits lol! All of a sudden we would hit every .99 store in our path lol! I’m going to miss it.

The sad thing is I feel bad for the workers who seemed shocked about losing their jobs and not knowing what to do next. A lot of them are older women.

Dollar Tree is up to a whopping $1.25 now. But I still go there-where else can I buy 2 pair of reading glasses for $2.50 or 4 Sudoku books for $5.

99 Cents Only did that for a while. Some were $1.29, $1.49, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, etc. Most were still at good price points. I remember paying $3.99 for a 3-pack of large 13 oz Reddi-Wip cans. But once I even got a jar of refrigerated pickles for 49 cents. Some of there stuff was clearly closeouts where once they were gone they weren't getting more. Some were off brands or their own house brands.

I buy my reading glasses there too. I have at least 8 around the house, 1 in my purse and 1 in the car and 5 back ups in a drawer
Thanks for that info! Now I won't feel so guilty when I do that. I'm in the middle of having cataract surgery-one eye done, one to go. We went shopping for reading glasses the other day (I won't need regular glasses for the first time in over 60 years), and I'm already going around-"Where did I leave my reading glasses?" DH was smart-at least he made me get reading glasses in bright colors so they'll be easy to spot!

Dollar Tree is up to a whopping $1.25 now. But I still go there-where else can I buy 2 pair of reading glasses for $2.50 or 4 Sudoku books for $5.

it's the best priced place to get foil pans (in a variety of sizes), heinz catsup, a1 and tubes of cookies (oreos and nutter butters in the same tubes are over 2x the price anywhere else around me).

Dad and I just found this out last night and were most disappointed. We go to 99 all the time as it is right in our neighborhood. Dollar Tree is a good half hour away. Dad went to 99 this morning for the last time and we are grateful he was able to get some things we needed there. 99 will always have a place in my heart because they helped me by God's Grace and leading make a beloved late friend's 99th birthday a year and a half ago so very fun for her. Good memory. I truly hope Dollar Trees stay around!

I buy my reading glasses there too. I have at least 8 around the house, 1 in my purse and 1 in the car and 5 back ups in a drawer
Another with multiple pairs from Dollar Tree... I have one everywhere I normally sit, in my purse, and in the glove boxes of both cars...

Sad news but they haven’t been a 99 cents only store in years… ever since they got bought out by a different group…

They still had a lot of items priced at 99.99 cents. Basically a buck unless I suppose someone manages to buy 100 items to spend one penny less.

I heard about this store and why I think they are closing is because I think they suffered from too much competition. I have a 99 Cents Store and though my mother and I never went in there I think they are more interested in raising prices and from what I read about 99 Cents Stores their strongest link was the food section because you could get anything from Red Baron Pizza cheap to cleaning products at good prices. But when you get the general picture and look at it from a different vision it's really the bargain closeout store chains such as Big Lots and DD's Discounts and Ollie's Bargain Mart that are slowly making dollar stores disappear. And pretty soon Dollar Tree and Family Dollar will be the lone survivors of dollar stores. But would really work is Woolworth's type stores because when Woolworth and Newberry were around they were considered the store of the future and when Woolworth's closed in the 90's it started a trend of variety stores and dollar stores to adopt a Woolworth styled format of stores. My uncle is a fan of variety stores and dollar stores because he buys snacks there really cheap and buys a lot of stuff at Dollar Tree too. But I also think 99 Cents Stores wanted to expand to more states and cities but it just didn't work in my eyes

There are not a lot of “dollar stores” owned by chains in NYC; when we vacationed in CT we’d see the chain shops there; great for picnic table settings.

Somewhat on target I miss shopping at Ocean State Odd Lot. It reminded me of a discount store formerly in NYC called Job lot Pushcart. Great prices on off lots of pantry goods. Always saved space in the car for home shopping at the end of our vacs.

Somewhat on target I miss shopping at Ocean State Odd Lot. It reminded me of a discount store formerly in NYC called Job lot Pushcart. Great prices on off lots of pantry goods. Always saved space in the car for home shopping at the end of our vacs.
Actually it's called Ocean State Job Lot, but Odd Lot may be more fitting. I used to love going there with Mom in Southbridge, MA, but sadly, she's passed away, and I don't know where else they are. Can't find any here in our part of Texas, and I can't find a "find a store" for them. It was a fun place for shopping-bet they had cheap reading glasses too!

I remember the .99 stores . Then we had Everything’s a dollar . Then Dollar tree which needs to change to 1.25 and up tree lol

I remember the .99 stores . Then we had Everything’s a dollar . Then Dollar tree which needs to change to 1.25 and up tree lol
I do remember Everything's A Dollar because I thought the store name was very clever and they were found in malls and my mom and I used to shop there all the time. As I mentioned my uncle is a Dollar Tree fan and that's where he loves to shop to buy food and he likes getting all sorts of neat things there. Do you also remember Six Star Factory Outlet? That was another store chain that was similar to 99 Cents Only Stores and they were also good and my other uncle loved to buy his cooking spices there because he loves to cook. When will 99 Cents Store begin their store closing sales? I am curious to know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter