A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

I got the Teriyaki Chicken Skewer and BBQ Black Pepper Beef Skewer. It was ok. Not wonderful. Don’t know if I’d bother going back especially because there are lots of different options in the park.

Huh. They looked pretty good, but I can see where they might not be all that.

They had turned the pirate area into "Treasure Cove: A Trial of Darkness", so lots of spooky decorations, music, fog, and better, the actors dressed up and acting along.

Sounds like fun!

I decided, rather than find a crowded spot that I wouldn’t be able to see well, I would just hang in an uncrowded area of Mickey Avenue. Of course, still couldn’t escape shoulder kids, especially when the parents move right in front of me…

Ugh, you gotta hate that regardless of what continent you're on!

Anyways, I watched a bit of Ignite the Dream

Is that their Fireworks show?

26,708 steps! Wowza!

OMG. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next day if I walked that many steps. I don't have a step counter any more, but the closest I came to that was 21,000 on the day we moved into our new house, and that was a killer day.

Sorry about the solo dining thing...that is a problem. I wonder if they get fewer solo travelers there that they haven't realized this is an issue? Tron looks super cool. I will never be brave enough to ride lol but I liked that you could watch it from outside.

Hi Lesley!

I'm finally caught up and I love your report! You're so good at the details.You make me want to be there too. I'm also sad thinking of the park being closed now and the coronavirus scare.

I just binge-read (is that a thing??) all of your updates so far, and I can't wait for more!

Ok... over 4 months since an update! WHAT?!?

Yeah, sorry about that one guys! With a long Disney trip (about 2.5 weeks) and then everything shutting down immediately after getting back, I just didn't have the energy to get back to trip reporting. I did try to zoom thru my February 2019 trip, which I thankfully finished 499 days after we left! Yeah, I won't let this one get that out of control!

So anyways, I'm back and promise to update this much more often - I've already prepped my final Shanghai day and written up the HKDL part (though I still have to resize/upload photos). Then onto Japan! Phew - but yeah, I hope you are still reading along as I actually have a lot of fun revisiting these awesome parks!

Wow, those ghost pirates are super cool!

What a full day you had! :faint:
It was crazy full! I was so happy to do all that though!
That ghostly stuff on Adventure Isle looked amazing! Love the CMs' costumes for sure.

Bummer that you were just not feeling into the show at the end of the night, but hardly can blame you after 26,000 steps!!!!! I was going to guess 20,000, so way off!!

Have so much fun on your trip in a couple days!!! :) I'm jealous, I'm about 50 days behind you!
It was exhausting at the end of the day! I'll definitely go back and hopefully get to see it properly!
Very cool pirate area! I don't think I'd be able to stay for the show either, I'm exhausted just reading about your day!
Haha, yeah it was a LONG day! But totally worth it!
Wow so weird! Is that how they are all the time or was it just during certain times?
I don't really know! I think I heard about parties of 2 eating there, so I guess they just were willing to eat enough for 1.5 person each. It may have been a new setup? And maybe it will change eventually!
WOW so pretty! I love all those lights.
Shanghai Tomorrowland was really awesome!
Noted! (assuming I ever actually get to go to SDL hahaha)

I loved all your photos, the park is so cool and has so many neat details! And the pirate costumes were amazing!!
It did have great details! Sort of cool to see a modern park designed from the ground up, as opposed to having to shoehorn things into the existing park layouts!
And I thought the live actors on Pirates was a nice Halloween touch....the ghost pirates actors definitely takes the theming to a whole new level!

I was going to guess 21,000 steps; you way exceeded that!
Wait until you see the Pirate show I'll get to on the next day!
Wow on the step count!! I’m so surprised that you weren’t allowed to dine at the TS family style restaurant. If they only allow groups in 3,6 or 9 would they have also turned away my family of 4? So strange! Love your parade and nighttime Tron pics!
Yeah, it was weird! Hopefully I'll get to eat there eventually!
Sounds like fun!

Ugh, you gotta hate that regardless of what continent you're on!
Shoulder kids suck so much! I mean I get when kids can't see, but it still is aggravating for people behind!
Is that their Fireworks show?
Yeah, fireworks and projections. The castle was designed with a lot of flat surfaces facing forward to have a lot more projection opportunities!
OMG. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next day if I walked that many steps. I don't have a step counter any more, but the closest I came to that was 21,000 on the day we moved into our new house, and that was a killer day.
I know, I was exhausted! I think this was my absolute highest number, but I had a couple other days come pretty close! And only one day where it was under 10k, and that was because I was on an airplane for 12 hours!
Sorry about the solo dining thing...that is a problem. I wonder if they get fewer solo travelers there that they haven't realized this is an issue? Tron looks super cool. I will never be brave enough to ride lol but I liked that you could watch it from outside.
Yeah I didn't see a lot of solo people there in general.

Hopefully you'll be able to give it a chance! Are you able to ride RnRC? When it's in the building I wouldn't say its any scarier than that one, though it's a lot smoother (and doesn't go upside down). The part outside zooms by so quickly there's not a huge opportunity to get scared of heights!
Hi Lesley!

I'm finally caught up and I love your report! You're so good at the details.You make me want to be there too. I'm also sad thinking of the park being closed now and the coronavirus scare.
Haha, thanks! Crazy thinking that now when I'm finally replying to you, it's open again and for about a month was the only park open worldwide!
I just binge-read (is that a thing??) all of your updates so far, and I can't wait for more!
I totally do the same thing! And I will try to satisfy you!

Day 3
October 22, 2019

Part 1-Another successful EMH

A quick reminder of the park layout!

x87DNum.png

Another early wake up to take advantage of EMH! I ended up on the first bus and booked it through the room key check and into the security line. We were let in early again (around 7:45am) and I was probably in the first 5 people in the park! Definitely worth getting up early!

I decided to take some castle photos first, since I wasn’t rushing to get to any ride.

qzUBMjn.jpg
fsh7qzO.jpg
Lvhb5Ni.jpg
izauD6h.jpg
vqDCLCa.jpg
Vc1W6gu.jpg

I never actually rode Dumbo here (which is a shame since it’s the only real ride at every Disney park, but I realized I also didn't ride it in Tokyo; one day I will though!)

XKUhjxj.jpg

Some empty Fantasyland shots

8cb9slm.jpg
fT4uSbu.jpg

I ended up heading up to go for another flight on Peter Pan. I was definitely the first person on, as the ride wasn’t even moving at that time. I got to take a nice ride around Neverland.

P35sxmQ.jpg
BghEyEB.jpg
gD817Yy.jpg
T332kiN.jpg
io37mmw.jpg
vYLdKjG.jpg
Ky8ZjCr.jpg

At the end I asked if I could take a second pass since there was again, no one in line, but they said I would need to walk the queue again… I think they even shut down the ride once I was done!

I had hoped to take a ride on Tron, but unfortunately it wasn’t running. ☹ I did use my app to grab a FP for mid-morning.

oMBEnHz.jpg

Instead, I rode Buzz and got another awesome score!

wwZmhzd.jpg

And…might as well ride again!

16Jw9kc.jpg

I had hoped to be more efficient with the walking today, doing most of Tomorrowland in the morning before heading to Adventure Isle/Treasure Cove, but the Tron breakdown threw that plan off.

So, I just headed to Treasure Cove anyways. I loved the sounds of waves crashing on the beach! SHDL was so great with the atmospheric music!

nRGYRNa.jpg
Su57wKM.jpg
ltumdTU.jpg
AUrRPK3.jpg
YiNCoPJ.jpg

A cool photo op area – I think Jack Sparrow sometimes meets here? Or maybe used to meet here?

Ls4cnvr.jpg
woK22Ax.jpg
b9zBD6h.jpg
rRSOPuz.jpg
HR92Yer.jpg
zuW4MkV.jpg
3qgYTBj.jpg
LfgvIHG.jpg
rRFFou0.jpg

More atmosphere pics

lG7ESXb.jpg
5ZnTDgg.jpg
QF5xstb.jpg
5G3kyO7.jpg

Loved the theming of this popcorn stand!

C5fcJIT.jpg
Vew4JPA.jpg

And of course, need to ride one of my favorites! Pirates of the Caribbean

8QejUTW.jpg

Some queue photos this time

5qeOYgu.jpg
7uN3xla.jpg
byD0zJ7.jpg
2SfyoJh.jpg
i8ASxJR.jpg
WzFkWuD.jpg

You can see the boat layout (I was assigned the front right side this time)

XKOadcZ.jpg

A view of Barbarossa’s Bounty, a QS restaurant which acts as their Blue Bayou

9tBlYXy.jpg

On-ride photos

prZeZcl.jpg
5V1JKCa.jpg
qluTYD9.jpg
tBIz7UP.jpg
U8ep3bu.jpg
fzMlas1.jpg
iZvJiLn.jpg
vmye1ZZ.jpg
9wH1AYj.jpg
z7gRaMG.jpg

Coming up: More Pirate Explorations!

Yay! I'm so glad you're continuing this and not abandoning it. I was so worried. I just love reading all of this to think about what I might do when I got to visit (and bring my buddy Oswald with me lol)

Shanghai's Peter Pan looks so so amazing. It really is too bad they didn't let you do a second round. If only Disney Parks were more lenient about those things. I also love the ambiance of Treasure Cove. I just know that would be my favorite if I were to visit, even over a Tron'd out Tomorrowland.

So excited to get back to reading about the rest of this trip! :mickeyjum

Especially loving this trip report right now when for the most part we can’t travel. Not only do we get to see a fun Disney trip but a different part of the world lots of us haven’t been to! Thanks for continuing this, loving following along.

So happy we got in our Shanghai trip in just before the madness of 2020. Reading your update reminded me that we thought Shanghai’s EMH were the best ever! They truly felt like an advantage. Ah....memories.....

I'm glad you didn't give up on this trip report!

I love how everything there seems the same, but also different. Too bad Tron was down that morning. I can't wait until our Tron opens here since I doubt I will ever gt to Asia!

Still here! LOVE the photos of the Treasure Cove area. Looks so peaceful. I cannot believe how empty the place is! It is like you have it all to yourself! How fun that must have been!

Such great early morning park pics!

Sounds like a great morning!

Can't wait to read more- glad you're continuing!

Yay! I'm so glad you're continuing this and not abandoning it. I was so worried. I just love reading all of this to think about what I might do when I got to visit (and bring my buddy Oswald with me lol)

Shanghai's Peter Pan looks so so amazing. It really is too bad they didn't let you do a second round. If only Disney Parks were more lenient about those things. I also love the ambiance of Treasure Cove. I just know that would be my favorite if I were to visit, even over a Tron'd out Tomorrowland.

So excited to get back to reading about the rest of this trip! :mickeyjum
Yeah I definitely let it slip but I always planned on going back to it! I actually like writing up these TRs because I get to relive everything!

I do wish if there wasn't a line the CMs would let me ride again! I remember in WDW either during DAH or pre-hurricane, we got to go on Barnstormer several times in a row because no one was waiting for it!
Especially loving this trip report right now when for the most part we can’t travel. Not only do we get to see a fun Disney trip but a different part of the world lots of us haven’t been to! Thanks for continuing this, loving following along.
Very true about the no travelling! Hopefully you can travel vicariously though me!
Loving the trip report! I am not sure I will ever visit these parks so I am enjoying reading it here.
They are fun trips to make! I always recommend people start with Disneyland Paris though if they are looking internationally!
Oooh yay an update! :) :) :)
You are making me want to rebook our trip..
I know! I want to go back over there so badly... if only I could justify a quarantine and risk of travel bans!
So happy we got in our Shanghai trip in just before the madness of 2020. Reading your update reminded me that we thought Shanghai’s EMH were the best ever! They truly felt like an advantage. Ah....memories.....
Yeah that hour is the best in the morning!
I'm glad you didn't give up on this trip report!

I love how everything there seems the same, but also different. Too bad Tron was down that morning. I can't wait until our Tron opens here since I doubt I will ever gt to Asia!
I know - it sucked that Tron was down, but I made up for it later that day!
Still here! LOVE the photos of the Treasure Cove area. Looks so peaceful. I cannot believe how empty the place is! It is like you have it all to yourself! How fun that must have been!
Yeah, the morning was great for that!
Such great early morning park pics!

Sounds like a great morning!

Can't wait to read more- glad you're continuing!
Thanks! And yeah, I'm glad too!

Part 2- Morning in Treasure Cove

I think the park was about to open (or had just opened), so I did check out some more of Treasure Cove

XcR3Qgc.jpg
tNDqKl7.jpg
GYuGebZ.jpg
UImZUzv.jpg
dG6KX6Y.jpg
pBAj6k5.jpg
EMrPPiy.jpg
ItdkwOW.jpg
d5capAz.jpg

BLokjvo.jpg

Fort Snobbish, to the Power and Glory of George, King of Great Britain, This Fortress is Hereby Dedicated on this Day…

LHtaywy.jpg
q6vF3lq.jpg

Can you find the hidden Mickey?

DKulSp7.jpg

Cute café seating area of the food places; it sounds silly but I loved the blue stone pathway! I mentioned it earlier, but I was pretty shocked at the huge amounts of seating for quick service places! Though I think the Imagineers realized it was necessary due to cultural differences?

13Jk8Pz.jpg
jMaiDNm.jpg
Qrcgdrw.jpg
Vs7cESi.jpg
2Jqj1JN.jpg
wy1ErGT.jpg
oSvBe2p.jpg
yQeg3nV.jpg
RuAONu9.jpg
YGIzEea.jpg
Lk0ESPU.jpg
fCMvB0a.jpg

And of course, I loved that background music!

Vice Admiral Twit; Eat at Barbossa’s!

sjckzMO.jpg
bm6gI8g.jpg
7A8M1vU.jpg
Gitl8kG.jpg

“Sing of Captain Will Turner cursed; to the Flying Dutchman eternally bound; Stepping upon Land but once every ten years; but if Elizabeth is devoted; and her love is true; the curse shall be broken; with lovers’ joyous tears.”

P4MYBxi.jpg

This may have been the actual Jack Sparrow meet & greet location?

GIgPq2k.jpg
kOQeuyz.jpg

And then I got to explore the ship area, Siren’s Revenge

ZS2R6c0.jpg
bBWXwzg.jpg
5AjghSr.jpg
iWxqKWb.jpg
KUeHWwd.jpg
fH7WFum.jpg
EzLAb1w.jpg

Some serious side-eye here!

uITJJiG.jpg

Onto the ship, which had lots of interactive features and fun things! I guess because they don't have Tom Sawyer's Island, this is their substitute?

jBflQsJ.jpg
Hh2gCA3.jpg
LxDQxhJ.jpg
3dzAMyv.jpg

ja1XULP.jpg
CGhD4j6.jpg

ug6U09A.jpg

Some portrait videos spaced throughout the ship

VKTG4aX.jpg
4t2maxq.jpg
BD4jGkG.jpg

Btb1oqp.jpg

More ship areas

Ny4ixP3.jpg
ylB0bOg.jpg
nzQNDqG.jpg
qcJ3aZG.jpg

Don’t know if I’d eat anything from here…

BvjoZxu.jpg

Views from the top deck

bk637im.jpg
RuZQwa3.jpg
lgRkYID.jpg
KYutWld.jpg

You could pull the ropes across to signal different messages based on the flags

itw5vPb.jpg
fU0l7Gu.jpg

It was a fun time!

Coming up - Jetting around tomorrowland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter