A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

Part 2 – Flying Ariel and food

After the show I thought I would try and stake out a decent spot for the next show, so I walked over to Lido Isle. But some CMs basically blocked me without saying anything, just stood in front of me. After a bit I realized that area was going to be lottery seating, so I wasn’t allowed in. Ugh! As I looked around the harbor I realized every non-lottery spot was pretty much taken. Like the Halloween parade, people were just taking a spot and not moving all day. So, I just gave up for the time being…

Instead I headed back over to Mermaid Lagoon. I got a fastpass for the 10am showing of King Triton’s Concert (looks like I also grabbed a fastpass for Raging Spirits, the coaster in Lost River Delta).

cPAXqXA.png
DFLPfwT.jpg

I honestly had no idea what to expect for this show. I thought maybe it would be like it’s tough to be a bug. Again, no photos in the theatre, but I did take a couple pictures while sitting down before the CMs could tell me to stop!

The pre-show room.

eSZ0kEu.jpg

Inside the theatre

grVEmmM.jpg
Gs6wQNB.jpg
JiDVBna.jpg

(The show photoas are some I found online)

Ok, I was honestly astounded by that theatre. It was a huge room with things all around the side. I sort of guessed there would be projections and maybe animatronics? And that’s the way it started, with screens all around the upper theatre where live-action film of Ariel’s sisters appeared singing. And the larger curtain rolled away with an animatronic huge King Triton. Sebastian and Flounder also appeared as puppets.

MCUopjs.jpg

But then, Ariel descended from the ceiling. A live-action Ariel on a harness who “swam” all around the theatre! It was pretty cool!

E24IJZZ.jpg
1ioVwfV.jpg
cAaetnl.jpg
ltsUllW.jpg

Here’s a hidden camera video someone took!

I was pretty blown away by the whole show! Definitely unexpected and confirmed how the entertainment at TDR was the best!

While I was in the Lagoon area, I stopped into the store to see if there was any new merch (also if any Christmas items which were out of stock elsewhere had showed up)

LByeDwP.jpg

No luck on Christmas merch, but I did stop at the Gauchopan machine, which had these Christmas keychains. I ended up getting Donald, and I actually use it as a tree ornament!

MXDkpyY.jpg

I did make my way back over to the Harbor, but again realized just how bad any view would be of the Christmas show, so I gave up on the second showing.

I did find the park dedication plaque. “Welcome, one and all to a world where adventure and imagination set sail. Tokyo Disneysea is dedicated to the spirit of exploration that lives in each of us. Here, you chart a course for adventure, romance, discovery and fun and journey to exotic and fanciful ports of call. May Tokyo Disneysea inspire the hearts and minds of all of us who share this water planet, Earth. September 4, 2001. Michael Eisner”

b1mhJkg.jpg
6DJko9p.jpg

It was crazy walking thru the New York Harbor area as guests were just lined all along the walkways waiting for the dancers and characters (in this case Donald and Daisy) who would come out from backstage to walk towards the Harbor.

Anyways, I went to the New York Deli (again, super long line), for a Christmas option, the Camembert cheese and honey mustard chicken sandwich. It was definitely interesting! I actually cut the cheese chunks in half to spread them out in the sandwich more. But lots of different flavors, which worked well together.

LaYvSxk.jpg
kieIWh3.jpg
QlZ2aMm.jpg

I also played the lottery and won for Big Band Beat. (However I picked a late showtime and timing didn’t end up working out to see it.)

OKQSDAj.jpg

Oh, and the app started showing food wait times for quick service restaurants. 60 minutes for one place and 40 minutes basically for a food stand! Ridiculous!

JL4JTop.jpg

I did wait in one of those for another iconic Tokyo Disney food, the Donald Shrimp roll. Pretty cute packaging!

ocMgA5K.jpg
ZuISDZh.jpg
1BuTybf.jpg
Ddltfbo.jpg

And if you remember, I had mentioned I got a fastpass for Raging Spirits, a coaster. I didn’t end up going over there to use it (I’ve heard it was nearly identical to the Indiana Jones coaster in Disneyland Paris, which was fun but not a game changer for me). But I discovered the ride actually went down and I ended up with a recovery pass! You don’t see many of those in Tokyo!

SzjYrOW.jpg
puCGezy.jpg

And it was surprising how I could use that pass on almost any ride at Disneysea OR Disneyland! Including rides which didn’t even have fastpass. (Only exception was Soaring and Toy Story Mania.) So I just had to decide when and where to use it!

tPDmpaI.jpg
pihr0R9.jpg
vnFS5lj.jpg

Coming up - Getting in touch with my SEA side

Yikes I'm sorry for the crazy crowds!

The characters look so cute in their costumes!

King Triton’s Concert looks awesome, as if it's straight out of the movie!

That Christmas show looked awesome- love that the Characters are right in front of you!

How on earth do you read the App in Japanese?! Is there in easy way to translate, or just use the pictures?

Crazy crowds. Love the Christmas stuff in world bazaar! Very surprised they wouldn't sell you a ticket at 9:01, feel like that wouldn't have happened at wdw..
Yummy food.

Yikes I'm sorry for the crazy crowds!

The characters look so cute in their costumes!

King Triton’s Concert looks awesome, as if it's straight out of the movie!
Yeah, the Christmas outfits were pretty cute! I liked that they all coordinated but matched each individual person!

The King Triton's Concert was such a surprise, and yes - what the movie would have been like if Ariel had showed up to the concert on time, lol!
That Christmas show looked awesome- love that the Characters are right in front of you!

How on earth do you read the App in Japanese?! Is there in easy way to translate, or just use the pictures?
For the app, partially photos. And partially I would screenshot it and then go into the Google Translate app. It was a pain, but worked well enough for me! Thankfully they now have an English app so you don't have to worry as much about it.
Crazy crowds. Love the Christmas stuff in world bazaar! Very surprised they wouldn't sell you a ticket at 9:01, feel like that wouldn't have happened at wdw..
Yummy food.
Yeah, the ticket thing was sooo annoying! And I was kicking myself for not buying a ticket earlier, but who would have known I would have issues!

Part 3 – Leonardo Challenge

I had previously mentioned that there is something called the Leonardo Challenge. It’s basically a scavenger hunt (free) that lets you explore all of the fortress and interact with some extra elements!

iSx8EDe.jpg

There are lots of different routes. I’m not even sure how many types of maps, but they have different locations marked on them (this one doesn’t even have them all), as well as a different starting point. And even when you start you can randomly get sent to other paths. So it’s nice because you don’t end up following anyone in particular. You can see the white circle, which you line up with certain stations and it activates video instructions. (Everything written and verbal is in Japanese.)

DpEiqg3.jpg

I didn’t take a whole lot of photos on the “hunt” but I started down in the ship (the red circle). Where I had to spin a dial and it guided me to my next station.

vpwPCrT.jpg

I don’t even remember everywhere else I went, but I made my way up to the top level (I discovered an elevator out of the way so I didn’t have to climb all the steps).

Ln7rs45.jpg
uwXRPqn.jpg
a5kfOih.jpg
35pLUzt.jpg
0L34JQt.jpg
yCGsBVA.jpg

One of the things I found along the route with a reflected ship.

XHLWcNt.jpg
G9Y2Xvz.jpg

And my final spot was this volcano room. I basically had to press the buttons on the side to close off a hatch that would stop the volcano from erupting. I actually failed my first time because I didn’t understand it, but then I tried to take a bit of a video!

REeua2s.gif
whUtuxW.jpg
930zWeE.jpg
S248WZZ.jpg
t4iaXgO.jpg
PKd4jye.jpg

After finishing you imprint a seal on the map. (Though I wish I hadn’t done it right away because the video sensor can tell when you’ve sealed it and then won’t let you do any of the other location effects.)

zw7G9HE.jpg
JztL7oW.jpg

While I was at the top of the fortress I did hang around to see the volcano erupt. You can also see all the scaffolding that was being removed and lava rock from previous eruptions.

AudCa1t.gif
HQIue4k.jpg
czs2HBv.jpg
vPbunTk.jpg
9PuDCpd.jpg

I also found a camera obscura room. (Even though I was done with the scavenger hunt I still explored the various spots.) this was cool because you could actually see over across the harbor. It would be neat to watch a show from here!

sDbh419.gif
Eg6gElR.jpg

And a ship room. I don’t remember if I had to pay to control one of the ships, but I had some fun with it! Especially with the storm that would pop up occasionally

N1veNAD.gif
nGtevtM.jpg
dXA8VTu.jpg
PxC2nSW.jpg

Some more areas. The Society of Explorers and Adventurers historical mural.

sxPnkTG.jpg
uP2ePsn.jpg
kAAsVom.jpg
iSSGzue.jpg

A pendulum that I think also acted as a clock?

Qqo0pWU.jpg
TEzueq6.jpg

I think this was a perspective painting where you could look thru a specific vantage point.

pv1Xag1.jpg
7DTzDgV.jpg
hbWhTvx.jpg

Overall, I love this area! And I feel like I barely scratched the surface! All of the different scavenger hunt paths also makes it very re-explorable!

Coming up - more Christmas wanderings!

Looks like the crowds were pretty brutal (again...) but you managed to do some cool things! I love the look of the food..the shrimp roll and that mickey hand bao...adorable..I wish that WDW had more really themed food! Also, the scavenger hunt looked super cool...a lot more interactive than some others and really a fun worthwhile thing to do...unlike some that are really just something to try to give people something to do when they are frustrated with wait times for everything else lol

What an awesome scavenger hunt!! It would be amazing if Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom was replaced with something like THIS! Though of course I know that will not happen, LOL. A girl can dream!

Love all of the SEA stuff. Great to see that Mount Prometheus is back to its glory!

How hard was it to understand?
It was great to see the volcano explode! And the scaffolding wasn't as bad as I was worried it would be.

The little videos showed what to do so I could sort of get the gist. But I probably didn't get a full appreciate of it all!
Looks like the crowds were pretty brutal (again...) but you managed to do some cool things! I love the look of the food..the shrimp roll and that mickey hand bao...adorable..I wish that WDW had more really themed food! Also, the scavenger hunt looked super cool...a lot more interactive than some others and really a fun worthwhile thing to do...unlike some that are really just something to try to give people something to do when they are frustrated with wait times for everything else lol
Yeah, crowds sucked so bad!

Definitely the scavenger hunt was something fun and uniquely Tokyo DisneySea! I wish they had even more of that on things like Tom Sawyer Island or maybe the Tree of Life trails?
You must be exhausted! Did you have a holiday for your holiday?
Haha, I always feel like I need a vacation after a Disney vacation!
What an awesome scavenger hunt!! It would be amazing if Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom was replaced with something like THIS! Though of course I know that will not happen, LOL. A girl can dream!
Oh I know! I'm so sad I never really did Sorcerors. It just was crazy that they got rid of it!

Part 4 – It’s Christmas Time and more decorations

While I had skipped the second showing of It’s Christmas Time, I did want to see the last one. Of course, I still had all the annoyances of prime locations reserved for lottery winners and other guests grabbing spots for the full day.

2tx57sD.jpg

I went over to the side stage and thought I found a place (which wasn’t exactly great) but was rousted out by a CM as I guess I couldn’t wait there. And at that point I was so frustrated, so I basically went and found a bench out of the way and sort of pouted for a bit…

Eventually I decided to get over it. I did have a spot where I could see the stage from a distance, so it wasn’t the best, but I guess at least I could see it…

MVAg4yI.jpg
WkdZMjr.jpg
OQrxe7t.jpg

A shot with serious zoom used!

4vHUb3x.jpg

Some shots of Goofy and the chipmunks.

rPlXzl2.jpg
rgrmfP6.jpg
QAAU4zL.jpg
6SKWQVB.jpg

Pluto came over for a bit

Gu62pwF.gif
PouKoSA.jpg

And the ducks also arrived via boat before meeting up with Scrooge.

cnhCykW.gif
eUlyhw7.jpg
mf3JoVp.jpg
cVyhZI9.jpg
Zn0ppZX.jpg
cFdpPYi.jpg

And the mice did too

9IVkcw1.jpg

Eventually I gave up taking photos and videos… just not good enough views, so I just tried to enjoy the show itself.

So, again, I do like the shows a lot, but the viewing situation just sucks with the crazy fans.

After the show I made my way over to Cape Cod and got one of the Christmas offerings at Cape Cod Cook-off, the Strawberry Milk Mousse Cake with souvenir plate. Also I got the Gelatoni candy container, which is pretty cute!

9EvYTft.jpg
mhGVcDH.jpg
1KenZjq.jpg

I started taking photos and it was funny because I saw the mistletoe and ended up explaining the kissing tradition to some Japanese guests (20yr old girls), and they thought it was hilarious!

tovE3wF.jpg

More photos from the lighthouse vantage spot.

jlVetFN.jpg
sI7Y6Rv.jpg
tcS0CBO.jpg
Rs7ipVL.jpg
0SoEX1M.jpg
K6UvNwu.jpg

Decorations in the area. I did like how classic it was!

ZlraBUp.jpg
KYMs3vL.jpg

The main Christmas tree was decorated with lots of duffy ornaments!

5hTY3kQ.jpg
1vinNaT.jpg

I stopped in the gift shop in Port Discovery. Some fun Nemo merch! If I had room in my suitcase I would have gotten the otter cuddling Dory for my mom!

lSlWQS4.jpg
vhyukvU.jpg
YOuTufZ.jpg

And I got another snack, the Fried Pizza (chicken and mozzarella), which was pretty yummy! Like a fried hot pocket.

fpwT5CY.jpg
qOPeO6R.jpg
IauaqcU.jpg

Coming up - A much better view of Fantasmic

I'm a little disappointed you didn't buy the Hank hat to rock at the US parks! 😎

Bummer about the viewing for the Christmas show, but glad you got the chance to at least see it again from afar. It looks just as cute as can be!

I'm a little disappointed you didn't buy the Hank hat to rock at the US parks! 😎

Bummer about the viewing for the Christmas show, but glad you got the chance to at least see it again from afar. It looks just as cute as can be!
That would have been funny! Another trip maybe!

The show was super cute! I wish they had better viewing options.

Part 5 – Fantasmic

I was wandering at this point and ended up back in Mediterranean Harbor, where I randomly spotted someone I had interacted with on twitter, Spencer from TDRPlans (he also writes for WDW new today). He had already grabbed a Fantasmic spot (right against a railing) and we ended up saying hi and chatting for a bit. I also realized how tired I was, so ended up sticking around!

mZ96kuS.jpg
zS6rQMQ.jpg

At the 1-hr mark, we could leave to get food. I ended up going over to the Zambini Bros Ristorante (most places around the park had over a 1-hr wait time for food). I got the Creamy Spaghetti with meat sauce, and because I could see the portion wasn’t the biggest, also got the Long Pizza, which sort of was like a pizza folded into a roll? I thought both were pretty great!

gvPVnfh.jpg
KvTUAsA.jpg

Now it was showtime! Our spot made the chance for pretty great photos! (Though I think one of the fireworks launch spots was right by us and Spencer forgot to tell me, so I was a bit startled!)

7nklBsa.gif
b6gxqL1.jpg
4uykiq6.jpg
wAzUf9r.gif
VrtaCkJ.jpg
ChYEEXL.jpg
Zvc3XjU.gif
yHIUEd7.jpg
wDOFo7w.jpg
Awi4vq8.gif
Vulubxh.jpg
ON0XmKr.jpg
pZQgF5Z.jpg
214jIj9.jpg
wZftTmy.gif
2B5tPGW.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter