A Birthday Celebration Extravaganza ... The Pre-TR! 7/6 UPDATE

ariel1025

DIS Veteran
:wave2: Hello and Welcome to my Pre-TR where I will be planning the Birthday of all Birthday Celebrations!

We are currently 290 days away from leaving on this little adventure, so I think it's the perfect time to start planning away. Ok, truth be told, I am crazy and think that I'm starting a little late. I mean, after all, I am 10 days late from dancing around because we made it into the 200s on the countdown :rotfl:

Joining in on this little shindig will be

HPIM0841-1.jpg

Shannon ... hey, that's me! What? You didn't think I would be a planner without being a joiner did ya? As my Son would say "ppppppppppppplllllllllllllhhhhhhh" :crazy2: (closest thing I could find to a smiley sticking out his tongue :laughing:). Ok, back on track ... I am an (almost) 30 year old Work-At-Home-Mom who is borderline obsessed with all things Disney.

Next up is my Hubby
HPIM0819.jpg

He is my very best friend and partner-in-crime on all the fun shenanigans we get ourselves into. He is 30, but don't tell him I told ya. Apparently he thinks 30 is the new 50 because he is super depressed and acting like he is over the hill now :lmao: I'd feel bad for him except I'm too busy making fun of him for his craziness on the matter ;) I wouldn't say he is obsessed with Disney but he more than tolerates it and never argues about going back so I'll take it!

And, of course, this trip wouldn't be complete without the Birthday Boy
1f537b86.jpg

I know, I know, wrong mouse! But, we were testing out his fear level of things in costume and "rides" before our upcoming cruise next month. And, I figure, if ya ain't afraid of Chuck'E, you ain't afraid of anything :rotfl2:

383fca74.jpg

Much better!

Oops, off track again ... That's James and he is the ripe 'ol age of 1 (14 1/2 months if you wanna get technical). We will be celebrating his 2nd birthday on this trip and I couldn't think of a better way to do it :goodvibes

We did the whole big birthday bash with friends and family for his first birthday

DSC_1361.jpg

DSC_1382.jpg

DSC_1426.jpg

While it was fun it was also stressful ... and expensive. I figure we only talk to a small handful of the people invited for holidays (and birthdays) so let's take our money and have a birthday he will never forget (or at least we won't :rolleyes1).

Is it selfish? Yeah, a little. But, we are inviting those handful of people we consistently talk to, so I don't really feel too guilty. I will get to formal introductions if/when those people decide to join for sure. But, they are my parents, Candi's parents, my Sister/Husband/niece (or nephew, not sure yet), Candi's brother/girlfriend and James' Godparents/their kids :thumbsup2

If you've enjoyed my ramblings thus far than I hope you will chime in and say Hi! I love having lots of people to bounce ideas off of and get advice. Plus Candi can only handle my Disney chatter a few times a week so I come here to babble a lot ;)

Coming up next: Where and When

::subscribing::

We just (early, early this morning) got back from our daughters first Birthday trip at Disneyland :). We loved it so much we'll be doing it again for her second birthday!

I highly recommend the Birthday Party celebration done at the Plaza Inn- it was awesome!

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel with our DVC (the villas are ALWAYS booked so if you plan on staying there call at your earliest window 7/11 months!). Also starting Sunday 4/1 (the day we left) they re-opened the Grand California as part of the Disney Collection (meaning you can use DVC points to stay Aton the hotel portion of the Grand Californian)!

::subscribing::

We just (early, early this morning) got back from our daughters first Birthday trip at Disneyland :). We loved it so much we'll be doing it again for her second birthday!

I highly recommend the Birthday Party celebration done at the Plaza Inn- it was awesome!

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel with our DVC (the villas are ALWAYS booked so if you plan on staying there call at your earliest window 7/11 months!). Also starting Sunday 4/1 (the day we left) they re-opened the Grand California as part of the Disney Collection (meaning you can use DVC points to stay Aton the hotel portion of the Grand Californian)!

What an awesome first birthday :thumbsup2

I didn't even know about the Birthday celebration - will definitely have to look into that!

Yeah, I've heard the GC Villas are super duper hard to get into. I know they have limited space as it was a pre-existing hotel, but you think they would have considered how popular it was going to be :confused3 I guess that's why they opened up the regular hotel again... I vote for them to build a DVC only hotel there :laughing:

I'm sure it is no surprise that as DVC owners our first choice of resorts is none other than the Grand Californian

GC.jpg

Ok, even if we weren't DVC I would want to stay here. It's just so breathtaking!

There are many factors involved in why we want to stay here - first, and most important, the space!

GC2.jpg

Since Disneyland isn't secluded the way WDW is, we would actually venture out to buy groceries and use this kitchen ... for breakfast anyway :thumbsup2

GC3.jpg

Can't resist that big 'ol jacuzzi tub!

For us, traveling with James, having the extra space is very enticing. He currently does not like to be "cooped" up and is always on the go - crawling, cruising, walking (sometimes) etc. As he will be a full time walker by then, I can only assume that he will enjoy running around even more. So, we would love the ability to take breaks in a room that really allows him to do this. He is also (currently) a light sleeper, so we would love to be able to set up his sleeping arrangements in our room, but have the ability to be in the living room watching TV or just simply talking :laughing:

In addition to the space, I love that GC has their own entrance into California Adventure. True, it isn't a private entrance into Disneyland, but we love CA, so it still makes us feel special :goodvibes

Also, we just love the ambiance of the Grand Californian. Although we've never stayed here, we've visited to check it out and eat here and fell in love. Really no surprise to us, as Wilderness Lodge is our favorite WDW resort and I believe they have the same architect :thumbsup2

And, lastly, since GC is the only resort at Disneyland that has Villas, it is the lowest points per night as far as DVC goes. This is especially important to us if we have our parents joining us because we offered to cover their rooms with our points :goodvibes

However, I've heard it is extremely difficult to get villas here as they are very popular as well as very limited.

Have no fear, as any good planner should, I have a back-up plan ...

What an awesome first birthday :thumbsup2

Yeah, I've heard the GC Villas are super duper hard to get into. I know they have limited space as it was a pre-existing hotel, but you think they would have considered how popular it was going to be :confused3 I guess that's why they opened up the regular hotel again... I vote for them to build a DVC only hotel there :laughing:

I have made this same suggestion many, many times- and while I've been told its on the radar- I've also been told its pretty far out due to other priorities (I've heard a property in Asia- Tokyo perhaps) takes priority. Also apparently real estate laws in CA provides much more red tape for DVC.

I hope you can get in! The Villas are truly awesome, we've done a two bedroom twice! We had a park view from the third floor and watched World of Color from our balcony every night! It was amazing!

The entrance into CA from the Grand is available to all guests of Disneyland Resort Hotels- which is really nice even if you aren't staying there! We also LOVE the newly remodeled Disneyland hotel- its really nice and with their new counter service restaurant has a much more WDW feel :). Of course GCH is still our favorite property- and now that the hotel portion is open to DVC again, will likely be our destination resort for all future trips.

I am here with you! I love DL and CA.

YAY :woohoo: Thanks for jumping over here :goodvibes

I have made this same suggestion many, many times- and while I've been told its on the radar- I've also been told its pretty far out due to other priorities (I've heard a property in Asia- Tokyo perhaps) takes priority. Also apparently real estate laws in CA provides much more red tape for DVC.

Aw, man ... I was really hoping the next priority would either be a brand new DL resort or a Polynesian DVC extension :thumbsup2

I hope you can get in! The Villas are truly awesome, we've done a two bedroom twice! We had a park view from the third floor and watched World of Color from our balcony every night! It was amazing!

The entrance into CA from the Grand is available to all guests of Disneyland Resort Hotels- which is really nice even if you aren't staying there! We also LOVE the newly remodeled Disneyland hotel- its really nice and with their new counter service restaurant has a much more WDW feel :). Of course GCH is still our favorite property- and now that the hotel portion is open to DVC again, will likely be our destination resort for all future trips.

Wow, I would love to have a to floor room with that view!!!

I didn't know that the entrance was available to everyone - thanks for the heads up :thumbsup2

I'm subscribing!!

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

Now, as any good Disney planner should - I absolutely have a back-up plan in case the Grand Californian isn't available. Since we want to be there for James' actual birthday we aren't flexible on our dates for this trip. So, our second request will be

DH.jpg

The Disneyland Hotel

Since this was not originally a Disney hotel I have concerns that it won't feel "Disney" :confused3 I've also had family stay here in the past and they said it definitely wouldn't be their first choice on future trips.

However, after scouring the internet I am actually quite drawn to the way the renovated rooms look

DH3.jpg

And I have a feeling that James would absolutely love the pool here

DH2.jpg

Or did the get rid of this pool when they did the new one with the big waterslides :confused:

So, if we end up staying here I know I have to just put my preconceived notions about it aside and trust that Disney knows what they are doing :thumbsup2

As with GC I love the location of it. Although it doesn't have its own separate entry into a park it is just footsteps away from the downtown Disney area which we love to spend time at. And, thanks to Jenn, I now know that anybody can use the GC entry into California Adventure :goodvibes

Now, I'm assuming that with the time of year we are going we won't need a third alternate choice. But, we do have concerns about if we have a huge entourage joining us ...

Since this was not originally a Disney hotel I have concerns that it won't feel "Disney" :confused3 I've also had family stay here in the past and they said it definitely wouldn't be their first choice on future trips.

However, after scouring the internet I am actually quite drawn to the way the renovated rooms look

Or did the get rid of this pool when they did the new one with the big waterslides :confused:

So, if we end up staying here I know I have to just put my preconceived notions about it aside and trust that Disney knows what they are doing :thumbsup2

As with GC I love the location of it. Although it doesn't have its own separate entry into a park it is just footsteps away from the downtown Disney area which we love to spend time at. And, thanks to Jenn, I now know that anybody can use the GC entry into California Adventure :goodvibes

Now, I'm assuming that with the time of year we are going we won't need a third alternate choice. But, we do have concerns about if we have a huge entourage joining us ...

The Disneyland Hotel was actually THE original Disney hotel. It's the Paradise Pier that was formerly a non-Disney hotel (the pan pacific). Actually, before DTD, the Monorail transported guests between Disneyland and the Disneyland hotel, with it running on top of what is now the Adventure Tower.

Unfortunately the pool you displayed is now gone- but the new pools are great! We just stayed there this past weekend and while I previously haven't cared for the property as much, it is now very close to equal with the Grand (well the hotel part not the villas). They did an amazing job on the remodel and I absolutely LOVE the feel of the property now- and the rooms are amazing! The headboard lights up and plays the music to "when you wish upon a star". They also now use the same H2O toiletries that the Grand Californian uses (similar to the delux resorts at WDW)

Also, to clarify, the California Adventure entry from the Grand Californian is open to all guests staying at a Disney hotel (not to anyone visiting the parks). You have to show your room key to use it.

I don't think you'll need a third back up. I've never had an issue getting a room at the Disneyland hotel- especially now that you can use points to stay at the Grand (hotel portion).

The Disneyland Hotel was actually THE original Disney hotel. It's the Paradise Pier that was formerly a non-Disney hotel (the pan pacific). Actually, before DTD, the Monorail transported guests between Disneyland and the Disneyland hotel, with it running on top of what is now the Adventure Tower.

Unfortunately the pool you displayed is now gone- but the new pools are great! We just stayed there this past weekend and while I previously haven't cared for the property as much, it is now very close to equal with the Grand (well the hotel part not the villas). They did an amazing job on the remodel and I absolutely LOVE the feel of the property now- and the rooms are amazing! The headboard lights up and plays the music to "when you wish upon a star". They also now use the same H2O toiletries that the Grand Californian uses (similar to the delux resorts at WDW)

Also, to clarify, the California Adventure entry from the Grand Californian is open to all guests staying at a Disney hotel (not to anyone visiting the parks). You have to show your room key to use it.

I don't think you'll need a third back up. I've never had an issue getting a room at the Disneyland hotel- especially now that you can use points to stay at the Grand (hotel portion).

Oh goodness ... guess I shouldn't be posting when I've had very few hours of sleep and a teething toddler sleeping on my lap :rotfl: I think I knew that the DL Hotel was the original, but somehow confused that while typing my update OOPS!

And, IMO you can definitely tell that PP wasn't originally a Disney property. We stayed there previously and didn't care for it at all :sad2:

I'm very intrigued by the new look of the room sat DL Hotel and although I would be bummed not to be in the Villas, I do think I would like it. Love the H2O products :thumbsup2

Since there is the possibility that we could be traveling with as many as 5 other families (aka 15 additional people!) we know it's a possibility that some of them will not want to pay to stay at one of the Disney hotels. I can understand this as it is considerably more versus staying at one of their good neighbor hotels. If we were going to Disney World I would absolutely argue that there are too many benefits of staying "on site." However, I've done Disneyland both "on property" and "off property" and I don't remember there being any major benefits. Somebody please feel free to speak up if you can think of good arguments for me on that one :thumbsup2

I know that we could just go ahead and stay at either Grand or Disneyland Hotel and we could always set up meeting places, times etc. But, we've done that in the past and although it shouldn't have been that hard/stressful/frustrating - it was! So, if the majority want to stay at a good neighbor hotel, it is our plan to do the same.

With that said, we have looked into good neighbor hotels and there are two that we are going to be offering out as options. Ok, I realize that kinda makes me sound bossy, but since this trip is being developed because of us/by us, I don't feel (too) bad setting out some "guidelines" :laughing:

The two places that we have decided on are

hilton.jpg

Hilton Anaheim

We have actually stayed here on previous trips twice and liked this hotel quite a bit. It's very nice and what you would expect from a Hilton. There are a handful of eating possibilities, a Starbucks :upsidedow and you can easily get to DL/CA. We actually walked a few times to the parks and there is also a shuttle type thing you can get a pass for that isn't very much (a couple bucks a day I believe).

The second place we chose is actually right across the street from the Hilton

marriott.jpg

Anaheim Marriott

We've never stayed here before. But, I really like what I've seen searching around the internet and I'm pretty sure it's been (somewhat recently) remodeled.

And, I think that completes the hotel options. Are there any other good neighbor hotels we should consider? Have you stayed at either of these two? What were your experiences?

I've stayed at the Mariott and loved it! In my former career I traveled for work 3 weeks out of the month and was a Marriott girl for sure! The property is beautiful, the staff totally awesome, and while food choices are lacking, DH and I did order room service one night and it was delicious and VERY affordable!

The only advice I'd offer with these two properties is that both of them back up to the convention center. Normally their room rates are awesome, but if you happen to visit with a big time convention, both hotels sell out quickly or boast high dollar room rates.

While its not the most glitzy hotel I LOVE the Fairfield Inn across the street from the park. I also really like the Marriott Suites and Embassy Suites! Located down Harbor.

And, IMO you can definitely tell that PP wasn't originally a Disney property. We stayed there previously and didn't care for it at all :sad2:

I'm very intrigued by the new look of the room sat DL Hotel and although I would be bummed not to be in the Villas, I do think I would like it. Love the H2O products :thumbsup2

When did you stay at the PP? They went through a huge revamp winter/early spring 2011 and I have to say it improved the property leaps and bounds! DH loves it- and I have to say with a park view room it provides a SUER COOL World of Color view from the room!

I've stayed at the Mariott and loved it! In my former career I traveled for work 3 weeks out of the month and was a Marriott girl for sure! The property is beautiful, the staff totally awesome, and while food choices are lacking, DH and I did order room service one night and it was delicious and VERY affordable!

The only advice I'd offer with these two properties is that both of them back up to the convention center. Normally their room rates are awesome, but if you happen to visit with a big time convention, both hotels sell out quickly or boast high dollar room rates.

While its not the most glitzy hotel I LOVE the Fairfield Inn across the street from the park. I also really like the Marriott Suites and Embassy Suites! Located down Harbor.

Glad to hear great things about the Marriott - it looks beautiful!

We did room service when we stayed at the Hilton and I was surprised by how affordable it was (much cheaper than eating at several of the places we ate at in the parks).

Thanks for the heads up on the convention aspect. I knew Hilton was part of the convention center stuff, but I didn't put it together that Marriott would be as well ... oops!

I will check into the Marriott Suites and Embassy suites for sure :thumbsup2

When did you stay at the PP? They went through a huge revamp winter/early spring 2011 and I have to say it improved the property leaps and bounds! DH loves it- and I have to say with a park view room it provides a SUER COOL World of Color view from the room!

We stayed there in 2009 so it was before the revamp. Glad to hear it is vastly improved. However, I'm not sure if I cold convince DH or his parents (if they come) to give it another try. We, sadly, encountered many mishaps there - our rooms keys quit working all the time, several staff members gave us attitude, the closet door fell off in the middle of the night and the shower water was alway super cold or super hot :sad2:

I love the plans so far!!

Who wants to do some infamous Disney math with me? I thought you would!

So, I got to thinking (uh-oh!) that since we are going to WDW for 10 days next year I should look into the price difference between the 10 day pass and an annual passport. But then, my mind really started turning when I remembered that we are fortunate enough to also be going to Disneyland next year. So, it was only natural that I start thinking about the Premier Passport. I mean, come on, it gets you into Disneyland, California Adventure, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, DisneyQuest, Wide World of Sports and one of the golf courses. How does that not make sense :rotfl:

Here's what I came up with (all prices are per person):

4 Day Disneyland Park Hopper - $219
10 Day WDW base ticket - $291
WDW Park hopper add-on - $54
Waterpark Fun 'n More add-on - $54

Grand Total - $618

Ok, so those are the items that we originally planned on purchasing. The only one that is somewhat iffy is the Waterpark option. But, James and I love our water and Candi and I have always wanted to visit DisneyQuest so for now it stays ;)

Now, let's take a look at all the annual passport options:

WDW Annual Pass (w/DVC discount) - $524

Well, that one doesn't make much sense because the WDW only part of our vacation is $125 less than that

DL Deluxe Annual Pass (w/DVC discount) - $359

That doesn't really make sense either because that is $140 more than the tickets we plan to buy.

But, wait! Disneyland is fairly cheap to get to, so we could quite possibly plan another trip (or two :rolleyes1) there and then it would be cost efficient.

Ugh! The Deluxe pass has lots of blackout dates - usually weekends. And, since that's when we would be able to get away that really doesn't make sense.

Lucky for me, DL has another passport option :laughing:

DL Premium Annaul Pass (w/DVC discount) - $479

Hmmm, that's $260 more than the tickets we plan on buying which are $219 for 4 days. So, even if we went back once for another long weekend the pass still hasn't paid for itself. As much as I want to try, I may be pushing my luck to go back a third time next year. So, that one really doesn't make much sense either :sad2:

That brings me back full circle to the Disney Premier Passport - $749 OUCH! (anybody know if there is a DVC discount on this one? I didn't see it on the website :confused3)

But, if you remember we are already planning a trip to DL and WDW and those tickets added up to $618.

So, in reality, the Premier Passport is only $131 more than what we expect to pay as it is. If we added a second DL trip for four days, then the premier passport would be $88 less than the cost of the tickets we need.

Then you have the discounts for food and shopping that I didn't even add in. I'd say that's easily another $100 in savings.

Oh, and did I mention, I am lucky enough to celebrate my Birthday, Mother's Day and our Anniversary all in May. Ok, maybe that should have been worded "Candi is unlucky enough ...." :lmao:

And, we will be celebrating our 5th Anniversary which I think deserves an extra special gift in and of itself :rotfl:

So, really it only makes sense that we should go back to Disneyland in May. The Premier passport would cover the cost of the parks and DVC would cover the cost of the room. All we would have to pay for is airfare and food. Therefore, the Premier Passport absolutely makes sense.

And, that, my friends, is Disney Math at it's finest :rotfl2:

Haha I'm trying to convince my husband that we need the same passes! We're taking DD back to Disneyland for her birthday in March, and then going to WDW that October.

Unfortunately I already had a two park premiere pass- and our WDW trip ended up not happening because we were matched with DD. So... DH keeps saying that a WDW trip is never certain....

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter