a cake topper conundrum! please advise

teukie w.

Earning My Ears
so yesterday our "up" elle & carl chair toppers arrived from Etsy. they were way adorable but...the Ellie chair absolutely will not stay upright! I tried to fix it and one of the legs fell off. cute, but not quality craftsmanship. I contacted the seller who suggested using some super glue and rigging the chair with a skewer to get it to stay upright. i was unimpressed. they are going to send me a base and i will try to stabilize it myself, but I don't really feel very comfortable using this for my cake!

at this point, i have just over a month to get a new topper. browsing Etsy it looks like I will have to drop another $120+ for Carl and Ellie chairs, and we don't really want to end up with two sets of chairs! i also saw a gorgeous house with balloons for $300 but the seller only has 1 review from the cake toppers so that makes me nervous. but we also love the idea of the house because for us, the "up" theming isn't necessarily about the love story between Carl and Ellie, but more about love, adventure and the wonderful quirky characters that make it all worthwhile.

the question is...do we chance another topper or go with one of the Disney ones? we were planning to do the Mickey's Delight cake because, well, mouse ears at a Disney wedding seems fitting. maybe do the white chocolate castle? can folks who have used the Disney toppers or their own chime in? thanks! i realize i only have a small window to order a new topper...ARGH!

Wait - why isn't the seller refunding your money for the crappily made chair? That's terrible! Can you contact another seller and explain your predicament to see if they'll sell you just the chair you need?

@lurkyloo i'm terrible at being a demanding customer. i have made and sold items for a long time at craft fairs and on Etsy, and am always frustrated by people's expectations when it comes to handmade things. at the same time, i'm also frustrated with this seller who *knew* that the chair wouldn't stand upright before making mine, and did not provide that information in the listing anywhere, and isn't really trying to fix it.
anyway, we are thinking sugar floral right now, i just have to see what my options are with my planner!

I guess I would need to see the item before I can give a suggestion? Do you have a link? It might be fixable?
This is where I wish my husband was home. He can weld anything & I'd have him fix it for you if it was made out of metal. :guilty:

Actually this might sound dumb, but an oblong sitting chair on a cake might not be so bad. It's unique. Different. Silly. (ok, you can smack me now, I'm trying to find light in this stressful moment) :confused3

Also just chiming in but if something is on a cake a little frosting would help it stay so it might not be an issue? Good luck!

we decided to go with a sugar floral. i don't trust any home repairs on the topper - it's just not sturdy enough. we may try to salvage it as decor. but sugar floral is guaranteed to be lovely. white orchids with orange and purple centers :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter