A Christmas Story Christmas

Kathryn Merteuil

Barden Bella
Has anybody watched this yet? I grabbed a some wine last night and kicked off my own mental start to the Christmas season by watching this. I have always been a big fan of the original and I have been looking forward to seeing the 2022 update. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and I thought it was really good. It was much different than I anticipated, as I spent more time crying than laughing. It was very nostalgic with some humor thrown in it seems to me. I feel that some of the stuff was unnecessary, but overall an enjoyable experience. It is so sad that Jean Shepherd is gone, but I think Peter Billingsley did a great job narrating.

Nope. Worst movie ever. Thanks to TBS and TNN needing a cheap season themed movie to fill the time with for a holiday marathon in 1991 it slowly transformed from a box office bomb to a cult classic.
I have watched it and I think the reason I don't like it is I can't relate to it. Just not like any Christmas my family ever had.

Nope. Worst movie ever. Thanks to TBS and TNN needing a cheap season themed movie to fill the time with for a holiday marathon in 1991 it slowly transformed from a box office bomb to a cult classic.
I have watched it and I think the reason I don't like it is I can't relate to it. Just not like any Christmas my family ever had.

You're talking about the original (which I quite enjoy btw) but the OP was asking about the new sequal on HBO Max

I agree that if you did not like the original, there would be no reason to watch this sequel set like 40 years later.

I do remember hearing that it did not do well at the box office for whatever reasons. However I believe it was kind of a cult classic before TBS/TNN started overdoing it. Showing my age here, I remember when it first hit like HBO (or whatever channel it was on cable) back in the 80's. This was like "the thing" that all of us seemed to watch and all of us at school could NOT stop talking about it. It was weird because even adults were into it. I remember my parents watched it with me, and then not long after invited their friends over to watch it with us when it aired again (and my parents do not like movies and have rarely been know to re-watch anything).

I think the cult following led to the 24 hour marathons on TV. Personally I do not even bother watching it on TV marathons. I have a dvd and can give it a proper viewing or two every year without commercials the way it was meant to be enjoyed. :thumbsup2

Haven't watched it yet but my kids have loved original and watched many times over. We have
collected so much stuff from the movie the other years. It definitely has a cult following because
I put some Christmas story stuff up for sale and it didnt even last a day. We got way more than
we paid.lol

I plan to see the original this year. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve ever seen it or not. Don’t have a way of watching the new one.

I just checked for my sister and sadly HBOMax does not even offer free trials. I told her I would log in on Thanksgiving so all of us can watch. We aren't a football family. There were a few parts I missed the other night.

Yeah, the original movie didn't do well when it came out in 1983. We saw it in theaters when it came out because part of it was filmed in Cleveland, OH, which was near us. The house that was used for exteriors is now a tourist attraction in Cleveland and has been redone inside and out to look like the house in the movie (no filming was actually done inside the real house, the interiors for the movie were all shot on soundstages in Vancouver).

The house and the attached museum complex are now for sale.

https://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/forsale/

Has anybody watched this yet? I grabbed a some wine last night and kicked off my own mental start to the Christmas season by watching this. I have always been a big fan of the original and I have been looking forward to seeing the 2022 update. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and I thought it was really good. It was much different than I anticipated, as I spent more time crying than laughing. It was very nostalgic with some humor thrown in it seems to me. I feel that some of the stuff was unnecessary, but overall an enjoyable experience. It is so sad that Jean Shepherd is gone, but I think Peter Billingsley did a great job narrating.

Dear God, they made a sequel!???!!
RIF
I highlighted it for you.

I haven't watched it yet, but I want to 😃 Thanks for the heads-up that it's streaming now.

I still keep the 24 hour marathon going most of the day here. (alternating with ELF) Love the original. Have SO many favorite quotes. When my son was younger, tween and teen years he and his cousin would watch it all day. great memories. I will probably check out this sequel, but the trailer didn't look so great, so I'll keep expectations in check.

Last edited:
You're talking about the original (which I quite enjoy btw) but the OP was asking about the new sequal on HBO Max
Learn something every day. Don't have HBO Max, and we dropped HBO 30 years ago. Nothing on it we wanted to watch and with little kids in the house didn't want some of the adult content available on our TV.

I feel exactly the same way. DH and I can’t stand the original “A Christmas Story” and do not understand its appeal, but clearly we’re in the minority. I just think it’s sad and depressing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter