A completely different DLR visit

nannyz

DIS Veteran
For the past 30 years, all of our trips to DLR have been with children or grandchildren in tow.
After this school year is over, all of our grandkids will be school age so my babysitting years (10) are over; and my husband has officially retired.
So we are planning a retirement trip to DLR in June, just the two of us. I will also be celebrating my recovery from breast cancer surgery.
We always put the kids first, doing what they would enjoy. This trip will be very different.
We might sit on a bench for an hour, sip a cold drink and watch the people.
We will eat at restaurants we never ate at before because the kids would not enjoy it.
We will not run to get on Peter Pan first thing.
We will come and go from the parks as we please.
We will eat whatever we want, whenever we want. I'm thinking hot fudge sundae for lunch.
It will be loads of fun, and of course we will miss the kids.
Have any of you ever done a trip like this?

Oh nannyz, you're going to have a fabulous time!! My kids are grown and I do this all the time now, with my girlfriends. Yes, it's a totally different trip, but you're going to love it!! Just like you said....go at your own pace, sit on a bench, eat ice cream for lunch, ride the rides YOU want to ride. It's going to be wonderful! But in the midst of all that wonderfulness, you'll still miss the kids.:) Congratulations on your husband's retirement and your recovery from breast cancer. I can't think of 2 better reasons to celebrate. Go and enjoy all the 60th anniversary festivities!!:thumbsup2

Have any of you ever done a trip like this?
It's funny...most of my trips have been like the one you described here, but I've recently gone with my friend's family a few times and they have small children. Going to DLR with kids is very different than going without little ones. Both are a lot of fun! I think you'll have a great trip!

I just wanted to say Congratulations on your recovery and remission! Yes hubby and I have done a couples trip, we have younger kids, and we usually play it by ear for rides and meals. We had a wonderful time except....we missed the kids being there! Lol

I just wanted to say Congratulations on your recovery and remission! Yes hubby and I have done a couples trip, we have younger kids, and we usually play it by ear for rides and meals. We had a wonderful time except....we missed the kids being there! Lol

Ditto!!!

But I give you 6 hours. You will spend the day looking at the Clydesdale horses. The fresh painted wagon. the precision and tradition. the polished brass. But in the end......you will look at each other and say.........where's the puppy?

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I know we will have a wonderful time.

It'll be so fun!!! You will probably have those moments of missing the kids, but you will have other trips where you'll have them with you again, I'm sure, and this is YOUR time to enjoy. Congrats to you and your hubs!

I have to admit here that as much as I love my kiddos and love going to DLR with them, I don't miss having them with me when I go with my friends :lmao: I think about them and miss them but I'm not wishing they were there. There's a time for my kids and family vacation, and a time for mine. As you said above, when kids are with you almost everything is geared toward them, which is as it should be. BUT it's very nice to BE the kid sometimes!!

Congratulations on the recovery!

Sounds like you will have a wonderful time on your trip! With 2 young kids, we're all "go, go ,go!" and yes, we do have to eat places they would like and do things they want to. I do love it, but to just relax and enjoy Disney sounds heavenly.

Lunch Suggestion: Split a Banana Split from Ghirardhelli down by Paradise Pier and take your time shopping for a few unique souviniers- and please DO get matching mouse ear hats!! So fun for pictures! Have a blast!

We might sit on a bench for an hour, sip a cold drink and watch the people.
If you do want to do something like this...I highly recommend getting a table at Jolly Holiday! You'll have a table to eat on, easy access to a place with lots of yummy treats, and a great place to people watch. :)

We will eat whatever we want, whenever we want. I'm thinking hot fudge sundae for lunch.
Oh...that's a great idea. The Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor is close to Jolly Holiday. You can also get a great sundae at Clarabelle's (DCA), grab an outside table and people watch while you snack. If you time it right, Five and Dime might come around, so you'll have musical entertainment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter