A couple of questions....Dream Trip for sick D

Billmel

DIS Veteran
My DD was diagnosed July 30 with Stage 4 Bladder Cancer (she is 24). Her doctor has told her to make a list of things she would like to do and to start checking them off. So she did, #1 item was take the family to Disney. She has 3 children, a little boy 2, and two girls age 3 and 6. The wonderful family that I have has come thru for them and they received for christmas, 2 child tickets, and a 1 week rental of a condo not far from Disney. She has asked that I help her with the planning. They are planning to go from March 12 - 20. They will need things like the double stroller, and most likely a electric wheelchair for my DD. Does anyone have any other thoughts about what I could help plan that could make this a trip to remember. My DD has been before we took her several times before she turned 18, and we have taken her oldest a couple of times before she was 4, the others including her husband have never been. Can you guys maybe give me some ideas on how to make this a trip they will never forget but it would need to be budget friendly. We are helping but they will still be on a tight budget. Also the best restuarants for Celiac, her 2 daughters were diagnosed within the last year with a Glutten allergy. Thanks so much for any advice you may have.

First of all, let me be one of the first to say I think you are a wonderful person to want to help your family out with this trip.

Make sure DD gets an ECV and make sure that she uses it to make the trip a more enjoyable one. My best advice with an ECV is to ask at the CM at the front of EVERY ride/attraction where to enter with the ECV. Will lessen the amount of headaches!

I don't know much about GF dining, but a friend of mine traveled to WDW last July with her GF son. She had wonderful experiences at every CS and TS location except for Yak and Yeti. Maybe it was a fluke, but the rest was wonderful. I know that I found a list somewhere here on the DIS of all of the snack places and their offerings. It really helped my friend and if you want this list, just PM me and I will email it to you.

Good luck with the planning and with your family. Happy Holidays!

I would read up on the FAQ's on this board:)

As far as GF dining goes all places that are run by Disney are awesome for anyone with allergies or intolerances.
the only places I have ever had issues with are at DTD and places like yak & yeti- they just were not friendly at Y&Y
I have eaten at teppan edo and toyko dining and while it is only rice and chicken -it is good rice & chicken.
contact special diets and let them know when you are going and where you
are eating.
I would look into a touring plan too. that would help with what days to go where.
First aid has places to rest up and store meds if needed.
hope this helps:)

If she is staying offsite, it will be difficult to transport an ECV to and from the condo.

renting a scooter onsite means you have to be there early, since they can sell out.

just something to consider!

It is wonderful that you are all working together to help fulfill your daughter's wishes. I'm so sorry to hear about her cancer. Is she also in NC?

As someone else mentioned make sure you contact the special diet department about the gluten-free meals. They will send you a form to fill out and they will contact the restaurants they will be dining at. WDW.Special.Diets@disney.com is the email address. They will send you plenty of information. They do such a wonderful job with allergies and other food sensitivities.

:hug:s and prayers to you and your family!

If she is staying offsite, it will be difficult to transport an ECV to and from the condo.

renting a scooter onsite means you have to be there early, since they can sell out.

just something to consider!
Good points.

OP, they should rent a full-size or standard-size car, or a minivan or a mid- to full-size SUV, and should make SURE the ECV they rent from an offsite vendor can be easily disassembled/reassembled.

All the medical equipment rental companies in the FAQ are great for this, but Randy's Mobility is especially fantastic! While most sites have videos or printed instructions on taking apart and putting together an ECV for travel, Randy's delivers to the renter, live. They show you how to take one apart and make sure you can do this yourself (along with putting it back together, and just generally operating it).

I'd also suggest renting a double stroller from Orlandostrollerrentals.com. Much more comfy, and her DH won't be trying to wrangle two kiddos in the parks while trying to rent one of the hard uncomfortable ones each day. Plus, it's quite a bit cheaper!

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I had totally blanked out about the ECV, we have used Randy's Mobility before for my mom in Sept. 07. They were great. The problem I am seeing is the double stroller, and the ECV both won't fit in the trunk of the car, and they won't be able to afford to rent a bigger vehicle. I know that the ECV alone would fit, but with 2 adults, 3 carseats, a stroller, and a diaper bag wow...will have to think about that one.

Are they driving or flying? If flying they need to be sure they get a car that can actually fit three carseats in the back. A minivan might be more money of course, if they are renting, but they can put the ECV in the back and the stroller at the door opening on the side just moving it when the kids get out.

I also want to say, I am so sorry that you and your daughter and family are facing this. My heart breaks for all of you.

Are they driving or flying? If flying they need to be sure they get a car that can actually fit three carseats in the back. A minivan might be more money of course, if they are renting, but they can put the ECV in the back and the stroller at the door opening on the side just moving it when the kids get out.

I also want to say, I am so sorry that you and your daughter and family are facing this. My heart breaks for all of you.

They are driving...it is much cheaper. They are going to drive early evening into the night so the kids will sleep. Son in law likes driving at night...I hate it, can't stay awake, I guess that comes from being 26, he is still young enough to do it. Thank you for your kind words.

I can't help with trip advice, but :hug: to you and your family. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer in March, 2007. He will be 3 years cancer free in August. I know it's a long road. I will keep your daughter in my prayers.

Last year I priced out the difference between renting a minivan in Ohio and driving it to Florida vs. flying all of us and renting the minivan in Florida. Driving from Ohio was so much cheaper - even with renting a car...

I'm just putting this out there because that might be something they could consider - instead of driving their own car down, rent a minivan at home and drive that down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter