A Curious Encounter, an Adventure Begins...

For at the moment while Oliver was recounting his journey into the magic lair of the pin gods, lightning struck the bell tower located at the top of the auditorium. The sound was deafening as people rushed for cover fearing that the building would begin to crumble. The lights flashed like the dance floor at a discotheque going on and off like a strobe causing all the motion in the room to look as if it were standing still. In all the excitement, no one happened to notice the man in the woolen pants and tweed jacket emerge from the shadows. He quietly and calmly made his way onto the stage approaching Mr. Phinnius. Oliver of course was oblivious to the man’s presence instead focusing his attention on making sure those in the audience were safe and to try to restore order to this chaos. As he turned, there stood the man in the tweed jacket and during a flash of the lights their eyes met. “You!” exclaimed Oliver. “Yes professor, we meet again. I believe you have something that belongs to me. Perhaps you would be so kind to give it to me so that I may be on my way.” The man said calmly. “I have no idea what you are talking about.” Said an agitated Oliver P. Phinnius. His eyes were nervously looking back and forth trying to plot his escape. The man sensed this and grasped Oliver’s arm. “I think you need to come with me professor.” Insisted the man. A brief struggle ensued but ultimately the man who was younger and much stronger than Oliver forced Phinnius from the stage and out the door into the raging storm.

Jeff

I have been printing them out, and reading them by the light of an oil lamp..to put me in the proper mood....keep 'em comin' Jeff

Donna

Can't wait for the Great Pin Adventure

The ushers diligently worked to restore order and calm everyone’s nerves after the events with the clock tower. It was quickly assessed that little damage was actually done to the structure other than a large burned spot on the eastern edge of the bell. Miraculously, the bell was not damaged at all and even the interworkings of the clock appeared to be functioning although the time itself was off some 18 minutes. The crowd within the auditorium was still agitated from their experience but for the most part they returned to their seats and awaited Oliver P. Phinnius to resume his presentation. But rather than seeing the great adventurer return to the report, all that was there was a leather-bound book lying center stage where the professor once stood. Everyone looked around confused and curious. An intern of the professor meekly walked across the stage and gingerly knelt down to where the book sat. All eyes in the auditorium were on the young lad. It was so quiet that you could hear the boy’s inconsistent breathing patterns. He looked down at the red leather cover not quite knowing what he should do next. He turned the book over and over in his hands as he lifted it up. There were strange writings upon the cover and it was fastened closed with a buckle and strap. Suddenly from the third row of seats in the center section of the auditorium, a man leapt from his chair and pointing to the intern holding the book, he exclaimed, “That is Doctor Mordecai’s Diary! Mordecai has returned to extract his vengeance!” The intern dropped the book to the floor and fell backwards from the shock of this announcement. Shrieks were heard from the gallery and two women fainted dead away from hearing this. The intern crawled back away from the book as if it were possessed. Somewhere from the back of the auditorium someone yelled, “Someone call the authorities immediately! Time is of the essence and we must anticipate the worst!” This statement resulted in the auditorium being cleared as people nearly trampled each other to get away from the horrible events both seen and unseen that had occurred this night.

Jeff

Inspector Garrison had been on the force for many years. He was now approaching retirement age, but his heart and mind still held the enthusiasm of a cadet just graduating from the academy. Most of his days now were spent behind a desk and he longed to return to the streets for a good cop always wants to be near those they protect. Most cases involving mystery and kidnapping were assigned to those inspectors in the prime of their careers. This one though required someone with some knowledge of the history of this case. The abduction of Oliver P. Phinnius was but the latest in a long-standing feud within the adventure community. For when Garrison was just beginning his career, he was assigned to a burglary case involving a local professor at the Institute of Rare Antiquities. It was during this investigation that Garrison learned of the torrid and sometimes seedy dealings that few knew about in the antiquities acquisition field. The competition was fierce between museums and adventurers alike to bring back those relics that would enable curators to obtain funding to continue research. The burglary was reported by Henry Mordecai, a respected member of the community and the foremost authority on relics associated with the exploration and navigation of the earth. In his testimony to the police, Mordecai insinuated that he had been robbed of rare and valuable information that was priceless. At each interview, Mordecai insisted that he knew the culprit and became quite frustrated that the police did not arrest the thief. Garrison explained that without proof, he could not simply go around arresting people. That sort of thing just wasn’t done. Finally, in a fit of rage, Mordecai exclaimed that if he could get no help from the authorities he would have to take matters into his own hands. He then had gathered up his belongings and vanished. That was nineteen years ago. During that time Garrison had continued his investigation. At first as an official case and then when closed, he continued on his own to try and understand what had occurred and where Mordecai had gone.

Jeff

Why do I feel the need to go to my attic dust off my old Fedora hat, look for my well broken in leather bomber jacket and brush up on my bullwhip skills ;)

Larry

The burglary and subsequent disappearance of Henry Mordecai became somewhat of a legend within the community. There were of course Mordecai sightings most often occurring around a full moon. He was credited with anything that happened in the community that could not be quickly explained. The myth of Mordecai became larger than the man. So at first when Garrison was called in on the case of the disappearance of Oliver P. Phinnius, it would appear on the surface to be another dead-end with no connection to Mordecai. What few knew though was that Oliver P. Phinnius was the person Mordecai had accused of robbery so many years ago. The two had been colleagues and could even be referred to as friends. They were inseparable and continuously challenged each other to the point where both of their careers flourished. Flourished until that night when Mordecai disappeared. Now Garrison found himself in another chapter of this long unsolved mystery. Now both parties of a reported crime had vanished and all he had to go on was a sealed leather book written in a language no one seemed to understand. Garrison spent the following days interviewing everyone in attendance that night in the auditorium. Each interview resulted in the exact same outcome. No one had seen Phinnius leave the stage and no one had heard the professor if he did call for help. There was so much going on that night that everyone was worried about his or her own safety. This investigation was getting nowhere fast as lead after lead turned up nothing. One afternoon Garrison sat at his desk staring at the back of that confounded leather book. The sun was making its way to the horizon and the office took on an orange glow. The shadows were lengthening and soon nighttime will arrive and another day on the calendar would end without any progress being made on this case. Just as the sunlight reached the desktop to signify day turning to night, Garrison noticed something. On the back of the book were very faint contours in the leather. He had never noticed these before and he stared at the book as if seeing it for the first time. He reached into his desk drawer and took out a stick of charcoal and a piece of paper. He gently placed the paper over the book rubbed the charcoal across it. What he saw amazed him. It was a map drawn long ago. He was not sure what this map represented but he was confident it was a clue. He needed help deciphering what this meant and there was only one person he could turn to.

Jeff

Arizona Jeff arrived in town as morning dawned on another day. He had been flying all night and still wore the clothes from when his last adventure began. He carried a simple pack that held all he needed while out in the field. He went from the airport directly to Inspector Garrison’s office. He wasn’t sure what to expect other than what was contained within the telegram he had received yesterday, “Found map [stop] need help [stop] concerns Phinnius disappearance [stop] please hurry [stop].” Arizona Jeff was met at the door by the good inspector. After briefly catching up on each other’s lives they sat down to discuss what was needed. Garrison handed the map and book to Arizona Jeff and watched intently as he looked over the artifacts. As he looked from the book to the map, Arizona Jeff’s brow furrowed. After what seemed like an eternity, Jeff looked up and simply stated, “Phinnius is in trouble. This map represents an adventure talked about in the early days of exploration. I believe this book and this map hold the keys to a grand adventure whose outcome may decide the very life of Henry Mordecai and Oliver P. Phinnius. If you want my help I am going to need this map and this book and a band of adventurers.”
“The map and the book are yours to take but I am afraid I cannot help you with the adventurers.” Said Inspector Garrison.
“Not to worry, I have just the group for that.” Said Arizona Jeff.
Arizona Jeff turned and gazed directly at you. His eyes danced with excitement as the thoughts of another adventure ran through his head. With a wide grin, and looking deeply into your eyes he said, “Join Mean Laureen and myself as we begin another grand adventure. The adventure will take place in Walt Disney World during the September Epcot Pin Event being held from September 20 – 22, 2002. The adventure is currently scheduled for September 21, 2002. I invite you to sign up to help us find Oliver P. Phinnius by visiting The Great Pin Adventure II web site, it will be an adventure you will not soon forget.”

It's Adventure time! And this time it's personal!

Jeff

Will there be a home version of the adventure for us folks that will be unable to make it in September?

Swamp Fox

I do plan to have many ways where people who cannot attend in person will still be able to experience The Great Pin Adventure II in September. Below are a few of the items I am currently working on (details will be posted to the web site as the event gets closer):
  • Proxy Adventurers - Lanyard cards will be made for people who are not attending in person. They will team with someone who is there to trade by proxy for them.
  • Team Scavenger Hunt where a Proxy Adventurer and a WDW Adventurer will team up to gather lists of items (electronically and at WDW) with prizes awarded for those who are most successful.
  • On-line Interactive Adventure where an adventure story will be started then members of the board will add their own chapters with subsequent writers having to pick up the story where it left off.
  • On-line Investigation where adventurers will help Inspector Garrison find clues to Henry Mordecai's whereabouts hopefully leading to a resolution of this mystery.

I want to create an event where attendance is a virtual thing so that everyone can enjoy themselves regardless of whether they are physically located in Florida that week or not. So if you would like to attend but cannot be there in person, please feel free to register. One of the fields on the registration form is whether you will be attending in person or electronically. From this list I will begin to create lists where you can be matched up for proxy events. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jeff

OMG...So totally LOVE that story!

Cant wait for the Great Pin Adventure II! :D So excited! Lead me to that registration form!

Buggin'
Amber

Like I said, Im so excited...were registered & cant wait 'til September!!! :)

Buggin'
Amber

How do I register for someone who is not on the DIS? He doesn't have a screen name, but he does have one on PinPics that he likes, can we have that on his card?

I struggled to define what that field should be. Screen name applies to many people but there are also several who attend that do not have DIS screen names. I am very open with this. I usually describe this field as a nickname. A PinPics name, a pet name, another board name, a favorite character's name are all acceptable items for that field. All I ask is that you keep it family safe. For those who have not seen what the cards look like, below is a work in progress that will be modified as time goes on (I am still in the design process so this is subject to change).

gpa2_lc.jpg

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff

and I can't wait to see what I look like in the fedora..:p

Donna gets to wear the hat! Where was the sign up sheet for this?

And can you tell us when and where this part of the GPA will take place, I want pictures!

The location of the Great Pin Adventure II is currently being finalized. Once we have everything in place, I will let everyone know. (Hopefully this will be less painful than last year when we had to move 3 different times due to the size of the group.)

There are a couple of web pages I would keep my eye on if you want information on the Great Pin Adventure.

http://www.nowhitting.com/disney2002/adventurers.html will show you on the map where everyone is coming from and also links to the list of adventures who have signed up and links to the registration form if you would like to attend.
http://www.nowhitting.com/disney2002/7wonders.html is another page I would keep an eye on. I heard a rumor there may be more adventures coming and this would seem to be a place where details could be found.

For those of you who happened to miss the Great Pin Adventure last year, http://www.nowhitting.com/disney/ will provide you details of what went on.

This year's event should be a lot of fun.

Jeff

One quick question regarding trading the 80 pins. Does this mean I show up with 80 pins to trade, or can I have 40 and by trading some of the ones I receive, I make 80 trades in total? I noticed the blurb about the documentation, so I gather we ill need a name of the person we traded with and document what we traded. Am I on the right track?

I have signed up `for my Pin Adventure II and have my last years lanyard ready to take along to add my new pin and card to. I can't stand it, hope the time passes quickly. have to also find a "BIRD" pin to trade with Jeff...........guess it will be my tradition from now on to give Jeff "the Bird" !
Barbara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter