A deadly adoption - did anyone watch this?

lizabu

Disney Maniac
picture this...it's a made for TV movie on Lifetime starring Will Farrell and Kristen Wiig. They're a married couple and there's a tragic accident and Kristen who's pregnant loses the baby. They do what any couple would do and try to adopt a baby and then the drama begins.

I gave it a shot and wanted to see what these two were going to do in dramatic parts rather than their typical comedy roles. By the end I think maybe it was a comedy after all. If you saw it, what do you think?

I haven't watched it yet but I read that it was a parody of Lifetime movies.

We are struggling to get through it. We keep laughing at the crazy reasons Ferrell and Weig might have for making this Lifetime movie. We haven't laughed once, it was billed as a comedy. Should be go all the way. I was thinking about cutting bait and watching something else.

I was confused. They played their parts seriously and it was no different than any other Lifetime movie but I felt like it probably was a parody. At the end when they're in the kitchen I was pretty sure and then it says something like based on a true story. I think it was a parody but they played it so straight I wasn't sure.

Yes, and it was bad.... When they were all dancing crazy at the end, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically - and not in a good way!! They were just not good for the role, IMO.

I don't think a parody would make sense. Why would Lifetime allow a parody of their films on their own channel? Doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:

I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. It's not meant to be a comedy in the traditional sense. It's a form of alternative comedy. The original idea was that they would simply take one of their dime a dozen Lifetime movie scripts, film it with Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig playing the lead parts straight up without irony, and then air it without buildup or fanfare. It would have blown people's minds to turn on what seemed to be your standard Lifetime movie and find those two. Unfortunately, Lifetime announced it well ahead of time, Ferrell realized the announcement defeated the comedic purpose, and he pulled out... but was eventually persuaded back in.

I saw another review that summed it up in one word: craptastic! It was so bad it was good. It was just a little more campy/cheesy than your typical Lifetime move just to make it a bit more awkward-funny I think. They mentioned the little girl's diabetes about a million times and they called the dinky little bridge the Mackinac bridge which was just so ridiculous it was funny.

I've not watched it yet but I will, kind of a big Will fan. My mom was always watching those Lifetime movies as I was growing up and I'd get "in trouble" for laughing or making snide remarks about the acting.

I haven't seen it and probably won't see it. I can't imagine a storyline like that being funny or making a parody of it. Just not my sort of thing.

I've not watched it yet but I will, kind of a big Will fan. My mom was always watching those Lifetime movies as I was growing up and I'd get "in trouble" for laughing or making snide remarks about the acting.
It's one of those movies for sure. DD and I spent the entire movie yelling at the TV. I hadn't heard it was a parody so I'm watching the whole movie wondering what is even happening and that why I started this thread...lol.

I saw another review that summed it up in one word: craptastic! It was so bad it was good. It was just a little more campy/cheesy than your typical Lifetime move just to make it a bit more awkward-funny I think. They mentioned the little girl's diabetes about a million times and they called the dinky little bridge the Mackinac bridge which was just so ridiculous it was funny.

I watched the trailers and figured it was going to be so bad its good. I didn't realize it was on last night, but I love Will Farrell, although I think his best days are past him, so I'll DVR it next time its on.

So bad so good. So So Good. Kept on thinking of old SNL sketches and good opportunities for him to say something perfect.

It's one of those movies for sure. DD and I spent the entire movie yelling at the TV. I hadn't heard it was a parody so I'm watching the whole movie wondering what is even happening and that why I started this thread...lol.
Dagnabbit, now I really wish I had time sit down and watch it now! Lol

It was horrible. I felt like the looser on Saturday night with nothing to do, but watch this awful show. But I am not a fan of either one. I turned it off and went outside for a walk, it was beautiful outside.

Saw it, laughed because I "got" what they were doing.

I would expect something like this from the two of them (and Lifetime cracks me up for doing it too!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter