A DISers Book Club!

Any one read 13 reasons why i read it towords the end of the school year it was such a popluar book at school it was all most impossible to get it from the library.

Sorry, I just saw this post. I wrote about it in the beginning of this thread. Great book.

I just started "Julie & Julia" last night and I LOVE the first 2 chapters so far :)

I finished this two days ago - it was very good EXCEPT for the overuse of the "F" word and, for me, the Republican bashing. Hey, Republicans have feelings, too!

The book definintely made me want to eat at Chefs de France next time we're at WDW!! :goodvibes

I just started "Julie & Julia" last night and I LOVE the first 2 chapters so far :)

At my library, someone recently checked out Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.

My guess, it was because of the movie, no the book Julie and Julia that has been on the shelf for four years!

Or, maybe the patron just wanted to cook...

Okay, I can't stand it...I've tried - I've REALLY tried.

I'm giving up on Lord of the Rings. That book was just killing me :faint:

I'm almost finished with the first book, but I'm not even going to wrap that one up. If I don't put it down soon, I'm going to get out of my reading mode and not go back for weeks!! I usually HATE to just give up on something, even when I'm not enjoying it, but this is just NOT my kind of book.

So, yes, I admit it...Tolkien has defeated me. THANK GOODNESS!!! ;)

I think I'm going with The Time Traveler's Wife next, like I had originally planned. Just have to download it to my Kindle...

I'm almost finished with the first book, but I'm not even going to wrap that one up. If I don't put it down soon, I'm going to get out of my reading mode and not go back for weeks!! I usually HATE to just give up on something, even when I'm not enjoying it, but this is just NOT my kind of book.

I think I'm going with The Time Traveler's Wife next, like I had originally planned. Just have to download it to my Kindle...

FYI...as of a few weeks ago Time Travelers Wife was not available on Kindle. I used my Borders Bucks to order it that way. Bought the first two Vampire Diaries at the same time for the same reason. Kindle has the last two but not the first two from that series.

PS: I :love: my Kindle.

Am currently reading Julie & Julia by Julie and Something Wicked by Carolyn Hart. I have 3 more Carolyn Hart books in my suitcase to take to WDW with me, but may pick up My Life in France by Julia Child and maybe the Time Travelers Wife.

I like mysteries, as they seem to keep my attention the most.

FYI...as of a few weeks ago Time Travelers Wife was not available on Kindle. I used my Borders Bucks to order it that way. Bought the first two Vampire Diaries at the same time for the same reason. Kindle has the last two but not the first two from that series.

PS: I :love: my Kindle.

Wow...that stinks! But, thanks for the heads up. I'll actually be right near a Barnes & Noble tonight, so I might have to cave and buy it...

I'm the same way :) If I start reading a book and can't get through it I have to move on or else I lose the reading bug for awhile . I also HATE to give up on a book :headache:

I like mysteries, as they seem to keep my attention the most.

Another fan of mysteries here :goodvibes :thumbsup2 I have read everything Agatha Christie wrote ...love her! Also a fan of Rex Stout, he wrote the Nero Wolfe series...A&E had a tv series of Nero for awhile, I also liked it a lot. More recent mystery authors...I am a fan of Diane Mott Davidson her detective has a catering business. They are cute little fluff mysteries in my opionion but pretty entertaining. :)

I am really enjoying and being inspired by this book :goodvibes

Younger Next Year for Women: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge M.D. M.D.
They also wrote Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and SexyUntil You're 80 and Beyond, more aimed at men.

It is aimed at women in mid-life, fifties. Helps them prepare for the "next third of their life". Their idea is that you are probably going to live into your seventies or eighties. But you can chose to be fit and live a fully functioning life longer. You can put off 70 percent of the normal problems of aging - weakness, sore joints, bad balnace - and eliminate 50 percent of serious illness and injury.

It is both scientific (no whoo hoo or mumble jumble) and inspirational.

I am going to adopt the seven rules. :thumbsup2

Harry’s Rules
1. Exercise six days a week for the rest of your life.
2. Do serious aerobic exercise four days a week for the rest of your life
3. Do serious strength training, with weights, two days a week for the rest of your life.
4. Spend less than you make.
5. Quit eating crap.
6. Care.
7. Connect and commit.

Yes, it is available for Kindle!

I'm currently in the middle of the Freedom Writers Diary. Anyone read this?

I saw the movie. It was okay, but unlike many movies, it did not drive me to read the book. I avoided reading the book because I thought the title had a lot of nerve. I would be happy to if I found out it was good, though. Let us know how it is.

I didn't know there was a genre called distopian fiction until I realized that was what I was reading! I don't think I like science fiction. But I like books set in the future when the future didn't go quite right.

i didn't realize it was a specific genre!! thanks for all the recommendations, they totally sound intriguing. :goodvibes

Could it be that distopian books make life today seem "not so bad"?!

hahaha quite possibly, but isn't it frightening when you think, "Heyy that sounds kinda familiar..." :rolleyes:

I am also reading the Jen Lancaster book Bitter is the New Black. I am a slow reader so I started it on the cruise and took it on my trip a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. It is an easy fun read, nothing heavy. I am from Chicago and it is based in Chicago so it is fun to relate to what she is writing about.

Currently reading: Water for Elephants
Just finished: Chasing Harry Winston - I enjoyed this enough for a fluff book, but not really enough to recommend
Someone else mentioned this, but I can't recommend Three Cups of Tea highly enough. The subtitle is, "One man's mission to promote peace...one school at a time." An American builds schools in poor areas of Pakistan and now Afghanistan, too.
I also loved Pillars of the Earth - I was so invested in those characters. I got it from the library, but I think I may have to purchase it. I've added World Without End to my library hold queue. If you like Ken Follett, check out these: A Place Called Freedom and Lie Down with Lions. I enjoyed these, but they are a little more fluff/summer reading historical fiction than POTE.

It's been awhile since I've read them, but the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes are great American Historical Fiction. 8 books in the series spanning several generations . Originally published 30+ years ago - I'll bet any library has at least some of them.

I really liked Good Book by David Plotz and A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. Good Book is sort of like Cliffs Notes for the Old Testament and the latter is just a really interesting read. These can be enjoyed by anyone, I think. I'm not really religious, but my parents are, and we all liked these.

It's been awhile since I've read them, but the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes are great American Historical Fiction. 8 books in the series spanning several generations . Originally published 30+ years ago - I'll bet any library has at least some of them.
OH, NO!!!

I also enjoyed the Kent Family Chronicles very much. But I just recently got rid of my personal copies. They has been just sitting on my shelf for so many years, so I finally re-read them and let them go.

And as for a library having them... you do know that libraries have to constantly withdraw older, low circulating books in order to make room for new ones?
Because they were my personal favorites, they survived many cycles of weeding, long after no one was taking them out. But finally, I had to bite the bullet and send them to the used book sale. I was so disappointed that no one bought them! :sad1:

While I have been absent from this discission lately......I just want y'all to know that I havent disappeared. :thumbsup2

I'm paying attention and making notes regarding the great books I might be missing.

I'm down....but not out of the game.

I will be back.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

While I have been absent from this discission lately......I just want y'all to know that I havent disappeared. :thumbsup2

I'm paying attention and making notes regarding the great books I might be missing.

I'm down....but not out of the game.

I will be back.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Add Maximum Ride to the list that series i epic!

I finished the Prestige..which I loved :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 So much better than the movie!

Next up is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. It has been on my Amazon wishlist for awhile now but the other day in Borders my DH comes over and says this looks like something you would like. That's why I love him :love: If you can't be at WDW the next best thing is reading about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter