• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Disney-addicted mom: 2nd annual August trip and Marathon Weekend *Update 10/7*

And I forgot to add.... Nathaniel got ringworm. On his face. Ugh. We're treating it with cream and I hope it looks better before our trip.

Amanda

You certainly need a vacation..work..the new hosue..ringworm!!!! HOly Hanna!

Dh and I were talking the other day about when we go back (I'm hoping next Dec) and I think we will be driving. We LOVED the ease of flying and how quick it was, but with Casey being so little yet and needing a car seat/stroller/diapers and such it maybe easier to drive, plus the cost of a 5th plane ticket. We used DME last time so we didn't need to worry about car seats for the boys.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip and see picts of the kids from TPL and BBB!!!!

Ack, whenever I think of everything I have to get together for our trips and get stressed out, I need to remind myself that it's nothing compared to what parents of young kids have to prep! Figuring out carseats and strollers must be tough!

You certainly need a vacation..work..the new hosue..ringworm!!!! HOly Hanna!

Dh and I were talking the other day about when we go back (I'm hoping next Dec) and I think we will be driving. We LOVED the ease of flying and how quick it was, but with Casey being so little yet and needing a car seat/stroller/diapers and such it maybe easier to drive, plus the cost of a 5th plane ticket. We used DME last time so we didn't need to worry about car seats for the boys.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip and see picts of the kids from TPL and BBB!!!!

Thank you! We drove to Maine 2 summers ago (8 hours) and we're NOT ready for another long drive. The drive up was a saga in and of itself. 30 minutes on the road and we had to make our 1st bathroom stop. Two hours later was the poop explosion. :rotfl2: I think Tom and I are both still traumatized! :scared1:

Ack, whenever I think of everything I have to get together for our trips and get stressed out, I need to remind myself that it's nothing compared to what parents of young kids have to prep! Figuring out carseats and strollers must be tough!

I'm definitely packing for 5 instead of 2. The strollers are easy - either we bring the one (which is technically a double) or we bring both. I think we've agreed to bring 2 strollers. We can always leave the umbrella stroller in the car if we don't need it that day. The car seats is trickier because we've never rented a car before. I need to decide if I trust Zachary to leave his seat belt on. I think that I don't really trust him so we'll probably bring a "real" car seat. Tom may convince me otherwise....

Amanda

I've been packing things that we don't need for every day living. I packed toiletries for the kids (kid shampoo, condition, detangler, toothpaste, toothbrushes - they have extras, etc.). I also packed swim diapers, nighttime pull-ups (for the potty trained bed-wetters), sunblock (lots of it), rain ponchos, rain covers for strollers, surprises for the kids (one new DVD per child, glow bracelets, etc.), purex, a few snacks. I packed medication - adult and child motrin, tummy medicine in various forms, bandaids, neosporin, etc.
Yesterday I decided to tackle clothing and carry-on stuff with the kids. For anyone who remembers Free To Be You and Me, I have a favorite song. It's called Help. The refrain is "Some kind of help is the kind of help that helping's all about. And some kind of help is the kind of help we all could do without." That was my experience with the kids!
I started with Nathaniel. Since I will do lots of laundry, I'm trying to limit my overpacking tendency. We packed 3 pairs of PJs, 5 pair of underwear (I did find a few pair of size 3 underwear that my 7 year old still wears :rolleyes: ), and 5 pair of socks. I then wanted to pack a sweatshirt since he always complains about being cold at meals. The first 3 sweatshirts were size 5 and too small. Then he found the jacket to a track suit that he wants to pack. Except he wanted to wear it. With the long pants. And now he wants to bring the jacket and long pants (really? to Florida? in August?) after I wash them. :eek: I finally found an acceptable sweatshirt. Then he wanted to bring a bathrobe. He has 3 bathrobes (really 2 bathrobes and a "dressing gown") that he never uses at home. So we packed the pirate one (again, WHY???). I packed a few polo shirts and a short-sleeve button down shirt for dinners. I still need to pack "every day" park clothes and nicer shorts for dinner (cargo or khaki shorts, etc.) but he might need them this week. I can always bring stuff dirty since I will do laundry.
The carry-on was another form of torture. I have wrapped in tissue paper: Guide to the Magic for Kids, Lost Journals, my homemade activity book, new Phineas and Ferb sunglasses. I also bought new travel markers. He wanted to know if I had colored pencils and crayons in addition to markers (he is an artist, or maybe an artiste when you add the perfection factor, but all this in the carry-on???). And he wanted a blank book to draw in. Then we started discussing reading material. And he wants to bring 5 Magic Treehouse books. Because he's going to spend hours reading???? :sad2: I think I talked him down to a reasonable level....
And then there was Jessica. Who wanted to know exactly how many dresses she's allowed to bring. Apparently 4 dresses plus wearing one on the plane isn't really enough. :rolleyes1 We managed to pack 5 pair of underwear, 5 socks, and 3 PJs without too much drama. And I found an appropriate sweatshirt. We're bringing her Snow White costume (from her ballet recital - I think there are pics early in this PTR) just in case there's nothing we like at BBB. We'll head to MK just before her BBB appointment so I won't have to drag the costume around all day. I still need to pack daytime clothes for her.
Her carry-on wasn't too bad. I packed my surprises and she picked a blank book and a dot-to-dot book that we have. She'll want to bring her American Girl doll (Hopefully without extra outfits - please :flower3: ) and maybe her Build a Bear (both of which were recently confiscated due to tantrums).
I haven't gotten too far with Zachary. Just PJs so far. I need to decide what do to with shoes for him. I'm thinking he can wear his orthotics with new sneakers to the parks (did I mention that the only sneakers that would fit over his new "pirate" orthotics cost $70? For a 3 year old????) and then I'll bring his Mickey Mouse crocs and change for wet rides or rain. Thoughts?
These are my adventures in packing. I'm sure it'll get even better as we get closer...... :lmao:

Amanda

Hi Amanda! I've been a terrible DISer this summer! And now your trip is right around the corner! I remember the days when we had to worry about strollers, and carseats and what toys to take! Packing is one thing that gets easier as they get older.

Hi Amanda! I've been a terrible DISer this summer! And now your trip is right around the corner! I remember the days when we had to worry about strollers, and carseats and what toys to take! Packing is one thing that gets easier as they get older.

Hi Jenny!!! :goodvibes I'm sure that it'll get easier as the kids get older. It's already easier than it was a year ago (when I was traveling solo with the 3 kids!).

Amanda

FOUR more days! I'm a little worried about Hurricane Irene but I think it's pass before our flights on Saturday. Another little think to worry about. ;)

Amanda

Popping in to catch up. Seems like you're making great progress on the last minute details. :goodvibes Seems like a really smart idea to take car seats and strollers that you don't need to worry about hauling back, good thinking! :thumbsup2

FOUR more days! I'm a little worried about Hurricane Irene but I think it's pass before our flights on Saturday. Another little think to worry about. ;)

Amanda

We are driving down on Friday - but I am hoping that it stays off the coast of FL so that we just have to deal with some rain. I hope that ya'll don't have any issues with your flight - can you get out earlier if you had to??

4 more days!!!!! Even if the weather is crummy, you'll at least be on vacation!!!!!!! (and not at work!)

Popping in to catch up. Seems like you're making great progress on the last minute details. :goodvibes Seems like a really smart idea to take car seats and strollers that you don't need to worry about hauling back, good thinking! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm excited!!!

We are driving down on Friday - but I am hoping that it stays off the coast of FL so that we just have to deal with some rain. I hope that ya'll don't have any issues with your flight - can you get out earlier if you had to??

I think Friday could potentially be worse from a storm point of view. I'm working Friday so we can't really leave then. If we needed to take an earlier flight on Saturday, we could.

4 more days!!!!! Even if the weather is crummy, you'll at least be on vacation!!!!!!! (and not at work!)

I know!!! :banana: I'm not worried about weather once we're in Florida. I'm only worried about our ability to GET to Florida. :scared1:

Amanda

T minus 77 hours until departure (more or less - I'm counting from our flight time). :yay::yay::yay:
Tom packed for himself last night. :scared1: I usually help him so I'm not really sure what he packed. He said something about the fact that we'll be doing laundry (or, well, I'll be doing laundry anyway) which scared me a little. I think he said he packed 4 polo shirts and 2 t-shirts and forgot to pack the cool Mickey Mouse shirt he bought last year. :rolleyes1 Men. :rolleyes:
I haven't been feeling well this week. I had additional dental surgery last week and took way too much motrin afterwards. Now my stomach's bothering me and I'm hoping it's all resolved by Saturday. I bought some pepcid yesterday and feel a little better today so hopefully... :flower3:
I'm mostly packed for me. Need to pack some last minute stuff like make-up and my running sneakers/running gear. I'm hoping to have a least one or 2 more runs before we leave so I'm waiting on that.
I still have to pack clothes for the kids. I may do a little tonight. Nathaniel and Jessica have soccer camp every morning this week (I figure they'll be in good shape for the trip :thumbsup2 ) and I think their athletic wear will be perfect for hot and wet days in Disney. So I'll wait. I don't mind packing a few dirty clothes if I have to since I usually do laundry every day when we stay in a villa.
It looks like the hurricane is moving further East. Now I only have to worry about it hitting NY while we're away. :scared1: Combine that with the earthquake we had yesterday and it seems like Mother Nature is against us. :eek:
I bought myself a fanny pack this week (ordered off of amazon). I'll eventually take picutres. It's bigger than I expected - about the size of the small purse I usually take to the parks - but I think it'll be perfect. I know it looks dorky (my DH laughed at me) but it'll be useful. I also think it'll be good for my DISapalooza trip in December because I'll be traveling solo.

Amanda

I bought myself a fanny pack this week (ordered off of amazon). I'll eventually take picutres. It's bigger than I expected - about the size of the small purse I usually take to the parks - but I think it'll be perfect. I know it looks dorky (my DH laughed at me) but it'll be useful. I also think it'll be good for my DISapalooza trip in December because I'll be traveling solo.

Amanda

Good luck with your trip and the weather!!! Hope you are able to dodge a bumpy flight.

The fanny pack is definitely the way to go at Universal/IoA. No, it is not the most fashionable accessory, but it will be priceless not having to lock up a backpack!

It is harder than I imagined to purchase one these days- A friend needed to find a couple last Halloween (she and her sister were going as an Amazing Race Team) and the local stores didn't have any. Fortunately (unfortunately?) I had a couple for her to borrow.

Have a great trip, maybe we'll bump into eachother! Hope you get out okay Saturday and your house holds up. Our basement sometimes get water when it rains too much so we're a little worried about that, gonna have a friend come check on Monday. Looks like it's gonna hit harder up here than down South.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter