A Disney Ship coming to Australia ?

I'm so excited! Part of me thinks I should be doing the repositioning cruise from Hawaii, because October 13th is my birthday, so it just makes sense!

But the reason I was excited about Disney cruises coming to Australia was because I was looking forward to doing it without having to fly anywhere first. The just really know how to suck the money out of me 🤣

Was hoping there would be but the ‘Magic at Sea’ makes me think these are modelled on the U.K. covid re-start sailings which didn’t have any.
I agree. I am a bit confounded since all other cruise lines in Australia actually visit ports and have standard 7 night sailings too. I think Disney want two things 1. To test out a new market with perceived palatable short trips and 2. Make as much money as possible by frequently turning the ship over.

Here is a summary of the Australia/NZ cruises.

It looks like they are following the UK staycation formula for this first season.

------------------------------

Arrive into Sydney before Oct 28, 2023

4-N cruise out of Sydney on Oct 28, 2023

Reposition: From Sydney to Melbourne on Nov 1, 2023

Short cruises out of Melbourne from Nov 3, 2023

Reposition: From Melbourne to Auckland on Nov 16, 2023

Short cruises out of Auckland from Nov 21, 2023

Reposition: From Auckland to Brisbane on Dec 4, 2023

Short cruises out of Brisbane from Dec 8, 2023

Reposition: From Melbourne to Sydney on Dec 22, 2023

2- to 6-night cruises out of Sydney from Dec 24, 2023 (including the NYE cruise)

Reposition: From Sydney to Melbourne on Jan 23, 2024

Short cruises out of Melbourne from Jan 26, 2024

Reposition: From Melbourne to Sydney on Feb 9, 2024

4-N cruise out of Sydney on Feb 12, 2024

Trans Pacific cruise to Honolulu on Feb 16, 2024

Last edited:

I just emailed my TA to sign us up for repositioning cruise from Hawaii to Sydney in oct 23 once dates open for platinum. I can’t wait.
I keep thinking about it, but... It's a bit over 11 hours from here to Honolulu and then another 21+ hours to get back from Sydney. And then the cruise itself is 13 nights with only 3 port days, which is... well, a lot of days at sea. I like days at sea, but is 10 days at sea worth 32 hours of flying? I'm not sure!

I keep thinking about it, but... It's a bit over 11 hours from here to Honolulu and then another 21+ hours to get back from Sydney. And then the cruise itself is 13 nights with only 3 port days, which is... well, a lot of days at sea. I like days at sea, but is 10 days at sea worth 32 hours of flying? I'm not sure!
If you're not doing Australia when you arrive, then no. I think you're better off doing the Panama Canal to experience the ship on sea days. However, if you have the time DCL to Sydney followed by a land component would be a fantastic way for Americans to see this country.

If you're not doing Australia when you arrive, then no. I think you're better off doing the Panama Canal to experience the ship on sea days. However, if you have the time DCL to Sydney followed by a land component would be a fantastic way for Americans to see this country.
Yeah, but that probably means no trip to Japan next fall like I was planning. Assuming, of course, that they ever stop with their anti-tourism, anti-foreigner nonsense.

Maybe Australia is a good backup choice.

So excited for this! Finally I get to go on a Disney Cruise that only requires a short train ride to get there instead of 20+ hours on a plane, yay :cheer2:
We have the transatlantic booked in May with the possibility of switching. The Australian itineraries are disappointing to me though. They're tasters: a handfull of nights and they don't go anywhere. None feel like real cruises. The transpacific is the only option but .... I can take the TA and go see Disneyland Paris again. It means a long flight of course which is vile. Heck I have been wanting DCL to come here for ages, now they are I want to book elsewhere.
Yeah, but that probably means no trip to Japan next fall like I was planning. Assuming, of course, that they ever stop with their anti-tourism, anti-foreigner nonsense.

Maybe Australia is a good backup choice.
I'd be surprised if Japan continued their xenophobic border policies by late 2023. We are looking at visiting TDR for xmas that year so they better not!

The Australian itineraries are disappointing to me though.
It's funny. We've been waiting forever for this announcement as well. Now that they are announced, they seem less interesting. I think we may opt for Vancouver to Honolulu as it fits at least one week of school holidays in October but that's more annual leave than planned and perhaps disrupts our Hawaii plans over 4th July.
My DW is excited though and wants to book all of them.. o_O

The Australian itineraries are disappointing to me though. They're tasters: a handfull of nights and they don't go anywhere. None feel like real cruises. Heck I have been wanting DCL to come here for ages, now they are I want to book elsewhere.
I agree they are a little disappointing as short with no real stops but I was kind of expecting that's how it would be, certainly on the first try. Short or not, you can be sure I will be booking on to at least one of them just to say I sailed DCL from Aus :cool1:

As an Australian I was so excited when I found out a few months ago the Wonder was coming here, but looking at the Itineraries and pricing. I'm underwhelmed.
Whey are they doing such short cruises? No one wants a 2 night cruise! You're barely on the ship.

I guess a lot of Aussies who haven't had a taste of Disney before, may book, but it's cheaper to go to Disneyland than pay for some of these cruises.
I don't know, I guess I was expecting a little more.

I am hoping to do the Feb 12 one out of sydney. I already have a 2023 Alaska cruise booked, not sure if I can swing two in a short period of time.
Looks like Australians can book on Sept 29th as I got an email with a link, it says it's not open for Platinum until October 3rd.

The New Zealand dates are in Late Nov/ Early Dec, does anyone think we would get a Very Merrytime Cruise on any of these? That would be great! But the info so far doesnt seem to indicate this , any chance that info would come out later??

As an Australian I was so excited when I found out a few months ago the Wonder was coming here, but looking at the Itineraries and pricing. I'm underwhelmed.
Whey are they doing such short cruises? No one wants a 2 night cruise! You're barely on the ship.
I thought the same thing but tons of Brits did the 2 night Staycations last summer, fell in love with it, and DCL now has 2, 4 night cruises from the UK so people don’t have to spend as much as they would for a week long cruise.

Even 3 or 4 nights is too short for me really, after the Wish I can see myself only doing 7+ nights unless I do Bermuda.

I thought the same thing but tons of Brits did the 2 night Staycations last summer, fell in love with it, and DCL now has 2, 4 night cruises from the UK so people don’t have to spend as much as they would for a week long cruise.

Even 3 or 4 nights is too short for me really, after the Wish I can see myself only doing 7+ nights unless I do Bermuda.
I just can't see the point in getting on a ship and then getting off again so soon, you've only got 1 real day onboard. What's the point?
Even 4 nights isn't enough. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I need at least 7 nights.

For those from Australia and New Zealand:
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/magic-at-sea/

From looking at the site, it looks like most 3-6 night cruises will have a Pirate night and fireworks. Special Star Wars and Marvel encounters on deck; character greetings, royal gathering,and toy story encounters in the atrium? 2 night cruises will have the Frozen and Dreams theater shows, 3+ nights also have Golden Mickey's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter