A Disneyland lover's trip report: 9/10-9/17: All in one thread

Michelle2

Visited every Disney park in the world :)
I was going to post each day in its own thread, but I cannot get any new threads to post and it has been days, so I will just add them all onto this one!

THE LUCKIEST Most MAGICAL Trip We Ever Had!"
Cast of characters:
Me -34 going on 9 -Disneyland lover and all things Disney- Keeper of the "plan", the rest of the group calls me "General". :teeth:
DH -35- likes Disney, but is starting to get tired of it....weirdo :rolleyes:
DS12- He would be happy just staying in the DTD Lego store the whole time.
DD11- Miss laid back, and easy going. She just goes with the flow and does whatever everyone else wants.
DD9- Our drama queen.
DD3- Our Stitch.

Day 1- September 10- Saturday, day of arrival:

Instead of going through Las Vegas as planned (I have family there we were going to stop off a few days and visit them on the way), we switched and stopped in Southern Utah to visit DH's family instead due to sickness in my family. We did NOT want to get sick on the way to Disneyland after all! We would stop in Las Vegas on the way back.

When we arrived in Anaheim, we decided since it was about 5:00pm to eat dinner and enjoy DTD. We checked in at the BWPPI, and then the kids decided on Sizzler. I know, with all those great restaraunts around, why Sizzler?? Well, as long as they ate, we did not care. It had something they all would eat, and with my kids, that is a very very good thing. :teeth:

The BWPPI was a great location. Since we would not be checking into the GC until the next day (Sunday), but would be going to the park on that day, I wanted somewhere really really close. Location wise, it was what everyone has said it was....the closest hotel to the parks. Right across the street from the main entrance. You cross the street at the crosswalk, walk through the shuttle drop off and pick up lot, through bag check, and you are in the main courtyard/entrance to Disneyland or CA.
As for the hotel itself, it was a little older, and pretty basic, but for the money it was ok. The free continental breakfast was average (not much to choose from at all), and if we had more time, we would have done the mickey pancakes instead. (You can choose between the 2.)

We enjoyed DTD, looked through the World of Disney store of course, bought some autograph books and pens for the kids, looked in the Lego store, etc. I went to the GC to see about checking in the next day, and got some good pictures while I was there. :goodvibes
We went back to the hotel, but DH and I wanted to go back to the DL entranceway to watch the fireworks, and took DS3 with us. I was actually surprised because I thought it would just be me and DS3. The fireworks were good, but hard to really imagine what it was supposed to be with the main entranceway Disney music playing instead of the firework music. I was hoping they would pipe the music to the outside, but of course, they didn't...I don't know why I was thinking they would??? Wishful thinking...Oh well, we would have the opportunity to really see them on Tuesday and from the balcony for our Fantasmic seating on Friday. (and it was much better on the inside of the park.)

By the way, as we were heading in and out of the main DL entranceway on the way to and from DTD, there were enormous lines to get into Disneyland and it seemed to get longer every time we passed by from 6 until when we arrived for the fireworks at about 9...alot of people arriving for Fantasmic and the fireworks I guess!

The rest of our party of 14 would be arriving tomorrow on Sunday, so we enjoyed a nice laid back time.

Tomorrow: A few snags, but LOTS of Disney magic! :teeth:

Michelle2, I've been looking every day this week for your report, as I was sure you'd post one, and I really wanted to hear how your trip went! Looking forward to the rest of the report, and thanks for posting!

Thanks BurleyGirl! I am getting some more up now...I should be getting pics up today or tomorrow too. :teeth:

Day 2 (First day in the park) Sunday, September 11: Check in at Grand Californian, and Goofy's Kitchen.
A few bumps in the road, but TONS of Disney magic!! :wizard:

I want to apologize in advance of the length of my posts. When I read other reports I love explicitness...I like to know exact date, time of day, etc so I can get an idea for my own planning....I hope this helps anyone else out.

Additional members joining us later in the day: (all of us total is 14)
My Dmom, and Dsis 23
My cousin and her DH and 4 kids (DD11, DS9, DD6, and DD3)--AP holders staying at the GC with the rest of us.

Ok let's get this going, and I hope I can remember everything!

Since we were at the BWPPI, we wanted to get an early start on what I thought was going to be a busy weekend day. The park opened at 9 today, with Main street opening at 8:30, so I wanted to be there at around 8:00.

We checked out before going into breakfast at about 7:00, and they said we could leave our car parked there until 3:00--cool!
When we went to the free continental breakfast, I was not too thrilled with the offerings, so I told DH I would take DS3 over with me to check in at the Grand Californian. We headed a few steps to the crosswalk...no one in sight at 7:20, either people or cars. We strolled through an empty shuttle lot, enjoying the music and banners celebrating the 50th along the way. (I like to whistle or sing to the songs, being all alone, and very excited, I couldn't help myself. :goodvibes )

There was not even anyone there yet at security to the main entrance, so I entered tentatively because I was thinking we weren't even allowed to be in there yet, but I just made my way over to DTD quickly. I checked in but our rooms were not ready yet, of course. I also got info going for my DMom and DSis's room, since they were arriving in a few hours, and their reservation should be linked with us. It was, and looked like everything was underway.

Mistake #1: I should have listened more closely to the room TYPE that was being given to us --I don't think he even said, but I should have clarified it anyways!! More on this to come:

DH and the other 3 kids joined us, and we had the hardest time getting my DS3 away from the little cartoon area in the corner. They have little rocking chairs just for little kids, and he was as happy as a clam.

We headed to DL and were the first in line at our gate. I was surprised that there were not many people there even as the time got later...and for a Sunday.
As we were at the rope along Main street, my DMom and Dsis called and were trying to find their way to the GC (they were earlier than expected--they were driving from Las Vegas so they must have gotten up EARLY!). Since we had their tickets, DH went off with DS3 to meet up with them at the GC and give them their tickets.
At the rope drop, me and DS12, DD11, and DD9 headed for the Matterhorn. We were on the second loading of it I think. After that, it was a blur. I know we were busy doing things until my mom, sister, DH and son returned. My sister(23) had bought and was wearing the gold minnie ears....aaaw! We met up at the Churro stand (our favorite) and proceeded to hurry to Haunted Mansion--This was a must do early, because it was the LAST day before it closed for the rest of our stay due to the holiday install. Since it didn't have fastpass (HA) we wanted to get on it early, so if we wanted to go again later in the day, we could.

Mistake #2: I always thought my DS3 was fearless! I really did not think that any ride would affect him (it didn't when we went to WDW when he was 16 months)....WRONG!! No matter what, warm them up on other dark rides first before going on Haunted Mansion, if at all :teeth:

Then we went on Splash Mountain..I wasn't sure about it, but DH said, "He will love it!" ........WRONG!

Mistake #3: Don't take 3 year old on Splash Mountain as their second ride.

Due to those 2 mistakes, DS3 would cry and not want to go on another ride again...Even the Winnie the Pooh, which we went on next. He cried most of the time. I felt so bad.

At about 1:15 we saw those trash can drummers that are dressed in the sanitation crew uniforms. Whether they are the real clean up crew or not, I have no idea! But we stopped and enjoyed watching them for a bit. We also stopped and watched "PUSH" the talking trashcan. He talked to our kids and told our little DS3 to be happy at the "Happiest Place on Earth!" There were not many other kids around, so it was good for the kids to get to spend some time interacting with it!

Later in the day, we headed over to CA which my mom and sister have never seen.
On our way out of the park at about 2:00, we got the golden Mickey ears for the kids. The only place where they do the Minnie bows on top is at the Mad Hatter back in Fantasyland or The Mad Hatter that is on Main Street. We got the kids' names embroidered on them, and ran into Minnie in her 50th anniversary dress right outside of the store. We HAD to wait a few people and get a picture with her! And then onto DCA!

We were keeping contact with my cousin and her family all morning. They had an accident (kid throwing up in the car) and they didn't get there until later in the afternoon. We met them at Grizzly River Rapids and the energy and enthusiasm went up about 100 points. My cousin, Paige, she is the best! :Pinkbounc We had a great time--there were not many crowds at all--and that surprised me for a Sunday. They experienced Soarin with my mom and sister for the first time too. All these firsts made it really magical for me!

During this time, we kept calling the GC number to check and see if our rooms were ready yet.
1:00- nope
2:00- nope
3:00- nope
3:30- nope
I was starting to get worried. What if there was a problem with the room?....the later it got, the more we would be stuck with it. At about 4:00 our room was ready, and sure enough, it was the wrong room type. And I blame this on our AAA travel agent. I don't blame the hotel, because I don't think the request was even in there. Our other request of being near an elevator was granted.
Since our room was connecting with my Mom and Sister's room, I was going to just let it slide, but there were 5 of us in a double queen room. (One of my daughters was staying with my mom, I didn't want another one in with them too). My initial hopes were for both of us to have the day bed rooms, so that way one daughter would be on their trundle bed, and another on our trundle bed, so neither my mom and sister would have to share a bed with anyone.
After seeing the rooms, we went back to CA for a bit...

We had Goofy's Kitchen reservations at 5:10, so we walked over to the DL hotel. I had added my cousin and her family just the night before, so they said they didn't have anything for that size of party on that night. So I just made a seperate ressie for them, hoping they could be near us...When we arrived, they sat us all together! I think it helped being the first seating time, more flexibility that way. They had a great spot for all 14 of us. A little cove area almost to ourselves (with just another table of 2--a nice mom and daughter) very near the buffet area. We had a big table for the kids, and another round table for 6 for the adults right by it. Me and DH try and make Goofy's kitchen a tradition on the first night or the night before our DL stay. But, this was the best time we had ever had! The kids kept each other happy, and we enjoyed the atmosphere and each other's company. I had never seen so many characters come around to the tables as we did that night. There were:
Goofy, Rafiki, Timon, Max, Mulan, Aladdin, Minnie and Pluto in the lobby. Many of them came by twice! My food kept getting cold because I was constantly taking pictures and helping with autograph books for the kids.
My cousin and her family who had never done it before were so happy and had a great time. They had no idea it even existed...She kept thanking me for booking it for them.

By the time we had gotten out of there (GK) it was probably around 6:30 or 7:00pm. I knew that I didn't want to deal with the crowds in Frontierland for Fantasmic, and since there was no fireworks, we went and used our fastpasses for Space Mountain, and Buzz. It was our first time on Space Mtn since the new overhaul. WOW what a rush!!! That ride is so fast, the whole time I was thinking, "Please don't let me die!!" :rotfl: I really do not have a comment on Buzz compared to WDW's. They both seemed about the same to me. I will probably notice it more in WDW when we go in December. :teeth:
For being a Sunday night, I was amazed at how much we could do! We left at park closing at 10:00pm

When we got back to the hotel, I couldn't stand it any longer and went to the front desk and wanted to see what I could do about requesting the different room. Even though it would be farther from my mom and sister, I didn't care. They (front desk staff) were so nice and even though they were dealing with an overbooked hotel that coming weekend, they were able to get me the daybed room, but not until the next day. Which meant I needed to check out the next day (Monday) by 11, and get new keys reissued to the new room after 3:00. (UGH!) I figured I would transfer all our luggage to my mom's room next door, and then transfer it from there....not that bad.

By the time I got back upstairs to our room it was about 10:30 and we didn't even have our luggage from out of the car yet! Boy, this was alot later than I wanted this night to go. DH went and dropped off the luggage, went across the street to park the car, and we were in bed by 11:30 or so...I told mom and sister that tomorrow would be an easy day, and they agreed. (HA) Like I can sleep in at Disney??? :teeth:

Day 3: Monday, September 12: Billy Hill and the Hillbilly show, Block Party Bash (just me and DD9 and DD3) and Tortilla Jo's

This was SUPPOSED to be our sleep in day, but I can be so annoying, at least that is what my sister said....haha!

One of the benefits of having connecting rooms with the family, is that if I wake up, then I eventually get others up too.
I don't know why, even with the late night we had on Sunday, maybe it was just being at Disney, I woke up at 6:00am :confused3

I started getting ready, and once it was 8 or so, I went in and started opening up our curtains, and then my mom and sister's in the next room. We did have to pack up and get all of our bags in their room before we left for the morning afterall! My sister is really grumpy when woken up, so she kept threatening to beat me, but we all ended up waking up, and heading into the park. But much later than usual. Instead of being there at 8:30 latest for the early entrance opening at 9, we were heading down Main Street at 9:25.

They had us show our tickets at the end of main street because they were just getting ready to close main street off the the general public were going to be let in at 9:30 for the regular 10:00 opening...that was a close one. Our day could have started even later if we were any later...make sense?? :teeth:

Monday was a much less eventful day for us for some reason, it's not that crowds were too much more (even though to us we thought that!), but having a late start really threw us off?? I do not know what it was, but since nothing was really planned on Monday, we did not accomplish as much as Sunday. I know that since we were there late, we skipped Fantasyland again. I think we mostly just did what we felt like doing that day, maybe that is why it seemed we didn't do much! We were without a plan??

We started out with the Matterhorn again, and then made our way over to Tomorrowland to go on Space Mountain and Buzz before they got too long. Which they were not at all. On they way out, we saw Buzz and were going to get his pic with the kids, but with no handler it was CRAZY!! We could barely get a pic with DD9 getting his autograph, let alone a posed picture?? Forget about it!! People (adults) shoving in trying to get his attention, so no one was having any luck. We got out of there, it was useless.
Disneyland, please have handlers for all of your characters like WDW, most do have them, but on the ones that don't? It would make a huge difference!! :goodvibes

Oh I remember now! (Thank you and hallelujah to digital cameras!) We saw the Billy Hill and the Hillbilly Show! It is one of our favorites and RIGHT up my mom's alley. She called and told us she was waiting in line at 11:15 for the 11:45 show...We were taking pictures with the kids with Aurora and the Wicked Queen! (All my Disney trips and I have NEVER seen her in person!) She was GREAT!
She told the little girl in front of us, "You are wearing too much PINK!"
And then to my girls, "Hurry along now, I don't have all day!" and when we were done, "Alright, now get out!" It was great!! She was hilarious.

We all headed over to join my mom at the Golden Horseshoe. I am so glad we did, not only were we the first party in line, even after the rest of us showed up, which surprised me. (I love this time of year!) But we got to watch that little Comedy troupe show while we waited!! When we went in, we grabbed most of the front row, 4 tables at 4 to a table, and there were 14 of us. It was a great time! We were also first in a LONG line for lunch. So it was so nice to get all our lunch taken care of before the main crowds hit. The Chili in a bread bowl is very filling, my DH and I shared it. My sister said the chicken strips were excellent. And they came with alot more than they thought they would...so there was alot of food left over with the other members.
I was especially happy that we caught the team with Kirk Wall in it. He is my favorite and can't imagine seeing the show with anyone but him! They had a new show and we all loved it!!

Since we had a big crew and were the last to leave, not on purpose, honest! Who should come out but the main Billy himself! (Kirk Wall) He was coming out to check on something with the theater manager or something, but we were thrilled to say hi, one of our little girls got his autograph, and tell him how much we enjoyed their talents!!!
I think the main THEME of our trip should be "In the Right Place at the Right Time!"
That took up most of our morning, (11:00 till about 1:00)

They weren't even taking fastpasses to BTMRR because they said it was a Monday and too slow to do so. I saw the line back all the way to the entrance, and said, "This doesn't look too slow to me?" And the castmember said that it moved fast. I am sure it did, but I know that the day before on Sunday was alot slower than Monday was and they were issuing and accepting FPs. We were too spoiled, so we figured we would catch it another time, and moved on.
Considering the rest of the week though, I can see why they did not even have them running.

We then headed over to California Adventures and rode on some rides (probably Tower of Terror and Soarin and Grizzly River Rapids) while waiting for our room to open up (we were switching rooms and had put all our luggage into my mom's room while we were roomless for a few hours). I was surprised because I decided to call GC on a whim to see if our new room was ready at about 1, and it was! Huge difference from yesterday! Since we had just gotten to DCA though, we didn't head back to the room to move until about 3:00.

This room for us was SO much better. Another bed (perfect size for our DD9), more room, it was what we wanted, and what I thought we were getting in the first place. (I give kudos to the GC front desk castmember who helped us Sunday night, he really went out of his way to switch us, and I know how booked up they were.)

I think after that morning my sister was probably happy that we were not connected to them anymore! :rotfl:
We were just down the hall from them, and still close to the elevator...great location #4105. I think it was the exact room we had 2 years earlier in 2003---weird! After we moved all our luggage to the new room, everyone else was glad to just be relaxing in the room, but I knew Black Party Bash would be at 5:15. I wanted to see more than just one zone during our stay, so I wanted to go to it Monday and Tuesday, since it would be blacked out Wednesday and Thursday. I knew I didn't want to battle crowds on a Friday...

Only my DD9 and DS3 went with me. No one else wanted to...weirdos. (Of course they knew we were going to all see it again the next day anyway, so I guess I can't get too harsh.. LOL!) The three of us got our spot right across from the entrance into "It's a Bugs Land" at about 4:30 after inquiriing with a CM where the zones were, and where the particular themes would stop. I wanted to try Monsters Inc today, and maybe Toy Story tomorrow...it was a good opportunity to scope out what excatly would be going on for tomorrow when everyone would be there. The parade was great, but my DS fell asleep while waiting in his comfy stroller at about 4:45 and didn't wake up through the whole thing!! Unbelievable! My daughter got one of the nerf balls, and liked it, but didn't like being pulled in to participate as much as she was...lol

I got some great pictures of the Monsters Inc clan. I really liked this parade.
During the slower seasons, they do not have the 3rd zone stop, the blue one farther on down. They just had the red zone at 5:15, and the green zone that we were in at 5:30. It was fine, and there were still great spots available even until the Green Army Men preshow started at about 5:00. Where we were, it really wasn't more than 1 or 2 people deep! Not bad at all...of course we were down near the end...I noticed where the Toy Story main float stopped, so we could be there for tomorrow's parade.

I don't think that we ended up going back into the parks after that. We just hung out, and relaxed because we knew that after today, no more slacking off. And it was great to relax a little bit!

We decided to do a DTD resaraunt tonight and see if any would have short waits without reservations. We felt like Mexican so decided on Tortilla Joe's. It was wonderful! We had a party of 10, some stayed back at the rooms--their loss! A balloon guy came around and my cousin had him to do some balloon creations for her kids, and so since only one of our kids came with us, we had him do one for her too. This was probably one of the best decisions we made! Usually if it is extra cost, we just say no thanks, but I am glad my cousin did it....He was fantastic. Great entertainment for the kids, and for us! We had a flower, a dog on a leash, a pirate sword, hat and parrot, and 2 crazy hats! As he was working on all of ours, so many waiters went up to him with requests to go to certain tables. I was glad for him.

My mom loved it so much, she said the longer he went, the more she wanted to tip him, which she did! :teeth: (that is all that it costs is the tip.)

So it was a very slow paced day, but another great one! After we returned from dinner, we called it an early night at about 9:00, so we could get a great start with early admission tomorrow! We were all fast asleep by about 9:30.

Really enjoying your trip report Michelle! We were there the same time as you, in fact, we missed you at Goofy's by one night! Can't wait to read more. We rode BTMRR several times on Monday and the line did move surprisingly fast which was nice.

Yeah I knew you guys and several other DISers were there at the same time as us. I kept looking at people and thinking, "I wonder if that is one of my fellow DISers??" LOL

NOTE: I have gotten confused and mixed up some of the events in my previous days that I went through and edited and changed around a bit! Sorry everyone! I will try and be more thorough before posting the rest of the days!
"Your memory, Miss Price!" :teeth:

Day 4: Tuesday, September 13: Early admission, fantasyland, Blue Bayou, Block Party Bash (all of us this time) and Fireworks!

We started out bright and early today. Since we didn't have to move our things again, it went much smoother and quicker when we were getting ready and out the door.

I have some great pictures of us strolling through an entirely empty DTD...kinda of reminded us of Sunday morning, but coming the other way. We were not the first ones there, but were early enough to be able to find an empty gate. We thought they might open Main Street up a half hour before even on Early entry days, but they DON'T, so we were there at about 8:00am.
While we were waiting, I recognized the castmember that opened up the park on Sunday...very friendly and charismatic older guy. He came by and told us that we needed to go to the even numbered turnstiles. I said that we knew and we came prepared! He asked where we were from, and we said we were from Boise, southern Utah, and Las Vegas. He asked if we would like to open the park today! I said sure! He asked how many were in our party and gave us the honorary citizen stickers. Later when my cousin and her kids came (her DH and DS stayed in the room most of the morning due to his work) we got stickers for them too. He said "Great! The more the merrier!"

We got to be let in about 5 minutes earlier than anyone else, and got to take some nice pictures by the 50th flowers and Mickey in front of the train station, you know where I am talking about.
He told us what to say and when he would cue us. I had seen him from the previous Sunday and he did yell and jump and get everyone all excited.

He yelled out welcome, and announced we were opening the park and where we were from, and then on our cue, we yelled out, "Let the magic begin!" and then counted down from 10 to 1. He told us to raise our arms up and cheer at the end.
Now I knew we had a large group, but I was hoping to be loud enough so people could hear us. I was surprised how loud our group can be! Like I said, my cousin gets so into things, that it made all the rest of us excited and he told us we did a great job. "We did not disappoint!" LOL

We were hitting all of the Fantasyland rides this morning. I love Fantasyland at DL so much better than the other Disney parks, but I am biased of course. We went and were the first ones on Dumbo, got the gold one :teeth: Then we went on Peter Pan 2 times, since it didn't have hardly any line yet. Hit Snow White, Pinnochio, Mr Toad's, the carrousel (sp?), did not get the gold horse THIS time, and the tea cups and got the gold cup. What can I say? We love the gold ones! We headed over the Alice in Wonderland, and then at perfect timing, it was 10:00 and the Storybook Canal boat ride had just opened up! Since there were 12 of us that morning, we took up a whole boat to ourselves. That was great! We went over to Small World, and took up a whole boat to ourselves too, even better! Now this whole time, the places we went to were deserted! We were staying one step ahead of everyone else.

While everyone was going to go on the Matterhorn, I wanted to head over to the Blue Bayou to be around when they opened up the seating list. Our reservations were at 11:30 - the first seating time. I think I got there around 11. I was suprised at how many people were starting to mass as the time went on. I couldn't get on the list any sooner, and by the time the hostess with the list arrived, there was a whole group of people. It kind of wasn't fair because people who just arrived, could walk right in front of people who had been there for awhile. I thought it was a little disorderly.
Thank goodness I was standing in front of one of the podiums and got 2nd on the list to be seated. When we went into the waiting area, I became a little nervous though because people were lining up at the door as if it had something to do with it, and I started doubting myself...we were just hanging out at the side.
Sure enough all those people had to move and make way for our party of 14. I had split out parties into sizes of 4, 4, and 6. I didn't even care if we were next to each other as long as we had better chances for waterside tables. (When I made my reservations 60 days in advance, they said they didn't serve larger parties of more than 6 until 11:45 and I knew all the waterside talbes would be gone by then.) But they had arranged all of us together in a giant table for 14. I was a little (tad, TINY) bit disappointed because they put us to the extreme left as you enter, and we were a distance away from the water/ride because a big wooden riverboat prop was in the way, but our waitress was wonderful and made up for it.

The table we had had 2 years before was on the extreme right and was more directly near the water, so much so that my daughter started making a scary pose --posing for the ride passengers. Now that was great! I was hoping that was where we would be this time, or that all the tables would all be like that, but now that I know, I will remember next time! :teeth:

It is really cute, as I am typing this my 3 year old DS is singing the Yo ho Pirates of the Caribbean song...How did he know???? LOL!

The food was great, and we all had a great time! I was really happy that we all got to sit together. So if anyone wants to know about larger parties sitting waterside --there you go! It can be done...I think it depends on the CMs and maybe the time of year.

After that, our group kinda split up..I don't know where my mom went (she went off shopping I think), and my cousin's DH went back to work in their room, but the rest of us decided to head back over to Tomorrowland and went on Space Mountain a few times...I cannot believe 1:00-1:30 and no line! So we went twice! LOL My DH had the little kids (2 of them) into that Starcade place. I think my DS3 could have stayed in there the whole day and be happy as a clam. He didn't even need any coins, he just went to all the neat vehicles and sat or stood and watched the demos, he didn't know any better! I think my cousin's DD3 was the same way.
As we were leaving, Minnie (with a handler thank goodness) was walking through. We got another picture with her---the kids that were there at least.
We also stopped at Buzz Astro Blasters on the way out too.

After that, it was probably about 2:00 we headed to DCA. We went on ToT again, and Soarin and hung out in the Bug's Land area.

***It was pretty rare that all 14 of us were all together, we were all seperating at times to do different things that we wanted to do. After the morning "plan" was through, it was nice that everyone could go and do what they wanted, or rest. I am posting from what I and my family did.

At the Bug's Land we saw It's Tough to Be a Bug, and went on all of the little kid Bug's rides. The bumper ones, the lady bug spin, the chew chew train. By that time, it was about time for me to go and get spots for the Block Party Bash parade.

We settled down for a spot at about 4:45 or 5:00. We had a party of 13 now, so needed a pretty big space along the front. We moved down from the Bugs land because we wanted to see Toy Story. I chose a great spot because the float stopped right in front of us. Great view, and great pictures. My sister and cousin and her kids (and my DD11) were really enjoying it --I was filming and taking pictures. I even got out there for a little bit. We had a great time. It was more fun with everyone there. When the parade was done (we were at the 5:30 spot) it was about 5 till 6:00

While we were on our way out, my cousin called her husband to get their blanket and jackets and stuff and go and get us a place for the fireworks. She was having a hard time getting a hold of him, so we were headed over there anyways...Paige had seen it other times before, so I was pretty clueless where the best spots were. I just knew in front of the castle. We grabbed some churros right as the park was closing, and headed into DL. My DH took the kids back to the room. He was going to let us get seats and then join us later.

I was so happy when I saw Alan (DH of my cousin) at the rope in front of the castle. We had to wait from about 6:30 till 8:00, but it was so worth it to me. My DH got back with our kids at about 7:20...it was a good thing too, because it was really getting filled in by then!! I was getting nervous that he would even be able to get to us. He brought all the gameboys, so that helped entertain all the kids.

The fireworks from this spot was AWESOME. It wasn't too close at all, IMO. We only had to look around a few times to see the things going on in back of us. But not as much as I was thinking. I LOVED this fireworks show. It was probably one of my highlights! They said at the beginning that it was sponsored by Honda...THANK YOU HONDA!!! That was the private party they were having afterwards for, and why the special showing of the fireworks! Again, thank you HONDA!!

I filmed it, and showed it to the 2 of my party pooper kids who didn't want to go (DS12 and DD9). I think they wished they had when they saw it. Where did they get their un-Disney genes from??? Not from ME! I am sure that my DH didn't try and convince them much either like I would have...oh well, their loss...

We joined in the bottleneck to get out of the park, and were back in our room by about 8:45 and asleep by 9:30 again. It seemed like it was so much later!

Day 5: Wednesday, September 14: More Fantasyland, Toontown, Aladdin Show, and Remember Dreams Come True Parade

I had this day all done yesterday, but was leaving it on the computer before I submitted it....forgot about it, and one of my kids or DH turned it off...lol
So here I go again:

I knew today's would be different due to the later opening with no early admission. (Parks opened at 10:00, but Main street opened at 9:30am) It was nice having a day to sleep in a little longer (HA) even though we had a nice and early night last night, DL drains the energy right from you in the evenings :teeth:

I was sooo right. We were heading out the entrance of our hotel at the same amount of time before opening as all the other days, and there were actually people in DTD! LOL Not only some people, but quite a few making their way to the entrances. What a difference just one hour makes!

We arrived at the gates at about 9:00 and the entrance lines waiting for the gates to unlock was already about 20 groups long. I got in the shortest line I could see, and then I saw one line that only had 2 groups long, but the tree planter got in the way, and I guess people didn't want to line around it?? DUH!! We got in the WAY shorter line...awesome. The herd mentality of people in general continually astounds me, but it works to my advantage, so I will take it! :teeth: This was only me and my family, my cousin and her kids, and my mom and sister would be joining us any time. We usually met up at the rope at Main Street. My cousin's DH was MIA again most of the trip, and had to work in the room again today.

***Sidenote: We noticed a different guy there opening the park, and he wasn't as excitable. The family really didn't do anything but be there and clap, no "Let the magic begin!" or cheering at the end. They just counted down with the rest of us. I am glad our happy CM was working on Tuesday--it was his initiative to do extra things with the countdown, so it really made it more fun for us.

When the rope dropped on Main street at 10:00 we headed right to Fantasyland again. We wanted to do slow loading rides that the little ones could enjoy first. Casey Jr train, etc. So when we got there they were having problems getting the train going, so we went on the carrousel while waiting. We were able to be the first on and get the golden horse! Yay!
Most of our party stayed and waited for the train. As we were finishing up the carrousel, we noticed they were loading the train, but we got there too late, and the ones on the train turned around and went with us again.

My mom and sister then headed over to the "bigger rides" while we went on most of the other Fantasyland rides while there, sometimes splitting up, some going with one adult, some going with the other. It was just a buffet-line of empty fantasyland rides and we could not help but take advantage of it before moving on to other things.

I knew we wanted to be at Toontown as close to 11:00 when it opened as possible. Me and the kids with me made it in time at about 11:10, but the one that I was being there early for the most (DS3) was off with DH making a trip on the Disneyland train around DL...I told you we got split up alot being such a large group, lol. We went on Gadget's Go Coaster (one of the slowest loading rides ever to me, IMO) and as we were done, DH and DS3 got there and went on it. Thank goodness there was still no line. I noticed that Toontown at this time of year didn't really start filling up until about 11:30 or 12:00. Since there was no early entry this morning, there was no Toontown morning madness either, and that is why we planned it today.
After going on Gadget's, we wanted to go on Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin, and then head out of Toontown--my mom and sister came and joined us on this one. Paige and the kids went to Goofy's Bouncehouse, and we headed over to Frontierland side of the park.

I can't remember exactly what rides we did over there before we left, but we exited the park soon after in order to catch the 2:05 show of Aladdin over at DCA.

I think ToT is all of our favorite, so whenever we go to DCA, we always try and head that way first. It's a good thing, because on the way out, thinking we had more time before we had to start lining up for the show, we happened to pass the Hyperion Theater where Aladdin is, and it was already lined up about 1/3 down the street. I hurried and got in line, and it really filled up fast behind me.
I was not too thrilled with all the waiting that had to be done for this show. I can't think of anything they could do differently, but it just seemed like alot of waiting. We had the preferred seating, so I asked a theater CM who was there along the line, entertaining and talking to people, where the preferred seating people go? (I did not want to be in a line, when I needed to be in another.) And we were supposed to be in that main line, and then at a podium inside the real waiting area ( :rolleyes: ) we handed them our voucher, and waited in a seperate area from the rest.

By this time the rest of my family all joined us, and we started loading into the waiting area. It was still outside, there were no lines, and they wanted spaces filled in, so it was kinda like a cattle area. Alot of hot and impatient people. I thought they would start letting people in a little before 2:00 but nope, not until at least 2:05. I think they were running late, or just didn't need that much time to get people seated?? :confused3

Inside it was a mess for us, because we had NO clue what to do. Since my cousin had APs she did not have preferred seating and was in the regular line with everyone else. She was the only one who had seen it before, and knew the layout inside... I was thinking balcony, and we spent too much time looking for the stairs to get up to it...well there are no stairs. It's in a seperate elevator that was way outside. STRIKE, forget that! By then people were filing in, and we were running around not knowing what in the world we were doing. Finally ran around to the front row on the second tier right off of the aisle on the side. It was as close to being in the center section as we could get. Its a shame because we were one of the first groups in, and ran in the wrong door...We did the kids in the front row, and adults behind them, we were probably split 8 and 5. The view was great! We loved being on the front row next to the walkway, and being slightly off center was not a disadvantage at all. But now I know what to expect, its another thing I will remember and do differently next time! :teeth:

After Aladdin, we realized that my mom and sister had not seen the rest of the park, the Pier area, so we went to Mullholland madness, and then the boardwalk style rides. They all had non existant lines...walked right on. Even the slow loading Sun Ferris wheel, did not have much of a wait.
Me, my mom and sister all get freaked out by ferris wheels (me especially, I don't care how little they are.) But since everyone else wanted to do it, and even the little ones could go, I didn't have the excuse to stay off with them so I went. we loaded into 2 cabs.
We both got on one of the swinging ones...oh boy. Going up wasn't that bad, my mom and I were on the inside, and my cousin, sister and DD9 were on the outside. As we were about to come back down, they stopped to load the wheel again, and we slid down and started swinging like crazy! And my mom and I were on the side that swung up, while the others mostly swung down. Everytime it swung up (there was nothing to hold onto by the way, just wire mesh.) my mom would scream and freak out!! My cousin and sister were laughing at us so hard every time we would swing up. It really was quite funny now that I look back on it.
When we finally made it around to the bottom, my mom said to let her off, but when the CM asked if she wanted off, she said no. The second time around, we didn't make a stop at bad places, and it was much less swingy. The Ferris wheel and me and my mom freaking out was my sister's favorite part of the trip! Glad I could be a part of making someone's highlight of the trip! :teeth:

After the boardwalk part of DCA, I cannot remember exactly what rides we went on, but we stayed almost until or at closing...We went back to the rooms, some of us for good, and the only one that wanted to head back to DL for the Remember Dreams Come True parade, was my sister...Oh well, their loss again! Good thing I was filming it, still not as good as in person though.
We headed back into DL at about 6:10. We made our way back towards the Matterhorn and Small World, so we could see the parade first, and get some rides in after. Main Street was getting pretty full with people and even up around Matterhorn was starting to get lined. We sat right by Alice in Wonderland, up by a CM who was blocking a walk way meant for the bathrooms. No one was in this area yet, and it was about 6:30 with the parade starting at 7:00.
Some pretty annoying people were sitting behind and beside us, who would not SHUT UP!! Thank goodness once the parade started, they did be quiet and I think I got some good footage of it. We loved seeing this parade, and considering we got there kind of late, there was still plenty of seating available...
After the parade passed, we made our way around to Splash mountain, since my DS3 didnt like it, we had only been on it once! So we went on it, no line, and then went on it again. We probably could have made it in for one more right before the CM closed the doors, but thought, nah!
Most of the crowd had already left from the parade by then, and we really did not have any crowds to fight through.

When we returned, we met up with my mom who was hungry and the 3 of us went to Storyteller's Cafe for a late dinner. This was a big mistake. I ordered a pizza, sister ordered a burger, and mom ordered a cheese ravioli or something like that. We never saw our waiter. First the hostess got our drink orders and brought them out, no problem, they must be busy. Then we think it was the busboy came and took our orders and brought the bread out. We waited and waited for our dinners, and then when they came out, mine sure was piping hot, but the others' were cold. We saw our waiter at a bigger table bring them more bread, refilling drinks all the time. Never came to ours. Never refilled our drinks, never brought us more bread. When someone (the busboy again) finally came around, my mom had said that her food was cold, all he did was feel the side of the plate, and say "It is warm"! I was MAD...he never told the waiter, they did nothing to try and make it right. My mom said she didn't want to eat it because it was cold, and they just took the plate away.
All of a sudden when it was time to bring out the check and get paid, here comes our waiter. Never saw him one bit, still never asked how things were, how was the food, not even refill our drinks, but he was sure there promptly to drop off the check and again to pick up my mom's card. He looked like the kind that would have had an attitude about it if we would have brought up the problems, so she just didn't want to deal with it. So we just left.

I don't mean to sound like I am dwelling on this negative thing, it made up just a tiny sliver in the overall great trip that we had, I am just trying to remember and note as much of our trip as I can remember (including my mistakes) so if it can help anyone else, it might...as well as for my own reference later. :goodvibes

We went back to the rooms and went to bed at around 10. We were taking a break the next day and were going to Knott's Berry Farm for my sister. I was debating on buying a day pass for me and whoever else wanted to stay at DL, but didn't. My cousin was staying at DL, so it was tempting....

Day 6: Thursday, September 15: Knott's Berry Farm, and Rain Forest Cafe

We got up and going earlier than we thought we would. We were not going to even go with my mom and sister to Knott's, but soon I had changed my mind, and once DS3 was up and everyone else was up anyways, DH decided at the last minute that he wanted to go too, as well as all the kids. Knott's Berry Farm didn't open until 10:00 but we always eat at Mrs. Knotts Chicken Dinner Restaraunt for breakfast...That is the main reason that I went. :goodvibes We were out the hotel and to the parking lot across the street at 8:30, and to Knott's eating breakfast from 8:50 to 9:50. We bought our tickets and were in the park by 10:05.

The one ride I was looking forward to going on was closed, Ghost Rider. Of course....I could have and should have checked before, it may have influenced my decision. So after 2 minutes inside the park, I realized I made a mistake in coming. I have always loved Knott's but it seemed that all the rides that I loved as a kid, were all gone. I am NOT a rollercoaster fan....especially those that go upside down, so there were not many rides for me and for DS3.

Talk about a park being empty....My mom, Dsis, and DH and those of the kids that wanted to go, sometimes DS12, and sometimes DD9 went on all the thriller rides.

After the log ride, we spent most of the day in Camp Snoopy. DS3 had a blast there, so I am glad that he went. And I really enjoyed the ride La Revolucion...we went on that twice. But other than that, I thought it was a waste of $40 bucks for me. I was jealous of my cousin that was in Disney with her family that day too, they were also going swimming that day, which my kids were not happy about missing....

We ended our day at about 4:00 and by the time we got out of the park and back the hotel it was about 5:00. There was an accident on Beach Blvd that they had to totally divert all traffic for. DH always chooses the wrong roads to take...lol
We were going to take the kids swimming, but when I called to check on the Redwood slide hours at 5:20, the stupid thing had closed at 5:00. It could have stayed open until 6, it didn't even get dark until after 7 at that time, so daylight hours, my foot. Now we had to cram that in along with everything else we wanted to do on our last day tomorrow. I wanted to spend the last day in the parks not at the hotel...oh well we will see if we can get it in...

Since we returned early, the slide was closed, we decided to do something that we wanted to but didn't have the time to do on a park day, and go to Rainforest Cafe. I am really glad we did. I called to see how long the wait was, and although they had no more reservations, the walk ins were hardly a wait at all.
We wanted to try and push it back because we all had a huge soup in a bread bowl at Knott's (lunch) and were not hungry yet...So we thought 6:30 or 7 was a good time, and hoped the line would not be too long. We tried calling my cousin for her family to go with us, but they were not having a good day, and were going to call it a night. Me and my sister went early to put our party of 8 on the list, and went and looked through Starbilias..I love looking in that place! We missed our first calling, because of the BLARING music that was going on right outside of RC, so we would be seated at the next table of 8 that was ready.

Dinner was GREAT, food and atmosphere was great. We bought alot of smoothies in those neat lightning cups. It was a great time, and our waiter was really good too.

So if I had to go back and change this day, I would have let whoever wanted to go to Knott's go with my mom and sister (probably DH, DS3, and DS12), and whoever wanted to stay with me, upgrade our passes to annual passes, and go with my cousin and her family (me, DD11, and DD9--they just informed me they would have stayed with me if I would have stayed). We could have had a shorter day, swam with the other kids, and would have just ended the day earlier and still gone to Rainforest Cafe when the Knott's clan returned. It would have been a win win situation....dang. Hindsight is always 20/20.... :goodvibes

It was cute because my cousin had said that they were lost without us, and wished they went with us. I told her I had wished we would have stayed with them! They didn't have as good of a time without me "the general" and our kids to be there with their kids, and I can believe that because ours were the same. SO all we can do is live and learn...The kids I think had a good time at Knott's and it was probably good for them to get a day break from Disney, I know it was for DH....weirdo!

Day 7: Friday, September 16: Our last day :( All our last rides, Big Announcement at the Golden Horseshoe, swimming at the GC pool (finally), Turtle Talk with Crush, lost child!, and Fantasmic Balcony Dessert Buffet
SORRY ----LONNG!!! :teeth:

This was a big day, and a perfect one to end the trip with. Probably the most event-filled too. I was hoping to see Fantasmic on our last day to end it on a bang!

We got up early again and were at the gates at 8:00 for Main street opening at 8:30 and then the rope drop at 9:00. The security guard that was at the rope (Robert) was a really nice guy. He took our group's picture (11) today. My cousin tried for 2 months to add on Friday night at the GC to their stay, but could never get it...there was just no availability. In fact, since she had been trying all during out trip too, they finally told her next to the last night, that there was no use even trying because they were OVER-booked and had to turn people away...It must have been those conventions.
So her DH and her oldest 2 kids were out trying to get the car packed, and get them all checked out and to their new hotel.

I was so surprised at how not busy it was in the morning. We had our choice of Fantasyland rides again. Our son by now was really enjoying the rides, and loved the fantasyland ones. Since it was our last day, we had to do that for the young ones, and got some great pictures there while not many people were around...Went on Peter Pan, Matterhorn, tea cups and Alice in wonderland, and any other that we (or the little ones) wanted to do. We then went the back way and went on BTMRR a few times. DS3 was doing great on even the bigger rides now too. I thought he would get a little scared at Matterhorn with the abominable snowman, but he was really doing well.

After these rides, we were heading past the Golden Horseshoe, and I was taking a picture of it. The comedy troupe was out telling everyone to come back for the "Big announcement at 10:45!" They saw me taking a pic of the building, and said if I was to take a picture, I could get closer. So we were kidding around, and got our group's picture with them. One told my son to be back at 10:45, and after seeing their show while waiting for the BIlly Hill show on Monday, I thought it was really cute and wanted to be back.

We headed over to Splash Mountain, and went on it, while DH and DS3 and cousin's DD3 went on Winnie the Pooh. After that, we were all off, and as DH, me and DS3 got the Pooh and friends pictures and autographs, the others headed back over to the Golden Horseshoe.
When we got back over there, and the announcement happened, (it was like a dating game show for the Mayor's daughter) They recognized DS12 from earlier, and chose him to be bachelor #3. I was able to get it with the camcorder. It was so cute, and funny! :rotfl: I wish I had 4 hands so that I could have gotten some snapshots too... :teeth:
I had to hurry and replace the DV tape just as it was starting so I was a little frazzled, and didn't ask someone else to do it for me. We were all scattered around.

Today was one of those lucky, be at the right place at the right time days...Pirates was closed all morning...we were just getting ready to get back in the strollers, and it opened up, and walked right on. You should have seen the line when we came out. It had already backed out to the main entrance...Adventureland and New Orleans square area were starting to get pretty busy. But my mom wanted to go on an old favorite of hers, Jungle Cruise and I wanted them to see the new Tarzan's Treehouse. We went on TT first, but my favorite part about it (the music) wasn't going...I think it was pretty boring without it, and I love the music. But then JC was closed down temporarily too. We took turns going on Indiana Jones while me and my cousin's DH took our little ones back through TT...they were having a BALL playing with the camp scene at the end.

When we were all through and could drag our kids out of Tarzan's treehouse, we were going to just forget the cruise and get the heck outta Adventureland, it was really bottlenecking. I was asking Alan if it was about like this in July, and he said no way! July was SO much worse.
Right as we were walking by Jungle Cruise opened back up!! (I thought I heard some boat motors going by while up in Tarzan's treehouse!) So we walked right on that, and boy did it back up right after that! I wouldn't have wanted to go on it unless it was a short short wait, IMO. SO I am glad DMom got to go on it afterall.

So for that morning, we were able to do most of Fantasyland (again) and all the major big rides, except for Space Mountain, which we were hoping to do with Fastpass later that night. We grabbed Pizza at Red Rockett's pizza port and hit Autopia. I just cannot remember if we did Autopia before or after lunch--whenever it was we only had a short 10 minute wait if that.

We made our way out of the park at about 1:15, because I had promised the kids they could go swimming on the GC slide. So we all went our seperate ways, I took the kids over to the GC pool, Paige and her family went over to DCA and went to the little wilderness show there with Koda and Kenai, and my mom and sister shopped on Main street and went back to their room. The kids went on the slide for about 45 minutes, and since my cousin's kids weren't with us, we didn't need to stay that long. We have a pool at home, so it was mostly for going down the slide.

We used the GC entrance into DCA (we love this) at about 2:30 and was hoping to meet up with my cousin and her family to see Turtle talk with Crush. As we were making our way over to ToT, DH who was going to go and do something else with DS3, called and said that Turtle Talk was about to start. Since we were right there, we hurried in. They must have closed it off right after us, because by the time I called Paige and her family, they couldn't get in because that showtime was already full. They would just see the next one.

We went in and saw the show....Our DS12 was picked by Crush to talk to him, and then of course, he asked for his parental units....it was embarrassing, but fun. He only talked to 2 other kids, and no other parents, so we were surprised...no one had too much time to raise their hand, he was quick to pick kids on his own. :duck:

We got some great pictures out in the main part of the Animation building. Paige and her family were just finishing up and getting into the show as we were done and out getting autographs and pictures. Hercules, Sorcerer Mickey, Cinderella, Chicken Little, were the characters there.

We had all reunited later and we did favorites like ToT and Soarin, some a few times to do the switch offs. I was sad because DS3 and DH didn't do Soarin for the last time on this day because one time, the CM said he wasn't tall enough. and the other time we went they were off getting a late lunch at the room, and seeing the little wilderness playground area. At Soarin, I ran into a neighbor/friend of mine who I knew would be vacationing there at the same time, so it was nice to see they were having a good time too.

One time we were over at ToT, they had the main street blocked off. People were all looking up, pointing and taking pictures. I could not see it for the longest time, but there was a HUGE beehive that was on the lighted Hyperion theater sign. I had heard someone was stung, and the bees were down low, so they only had a little corner sidewalk open to traffic for the ToT. As we got churros at a cart by the theater, I asked the CM if she was open (it looked like they were getting all people out of the area.) And she said, "Yes, but I get stung, I'm going home!" LOL She looked a little uneasy, so I didn't blame her one bit.

At 6:00 we were on our way out of DCA, and were in the big line to enter back into DL. My mom and sister, and DH and DS3 had left again to go back to the room until it was Fantasmic time, I didn't blame them because it was getting a little crowded. The line had almost backed up to the California letters. But it wasn't that bad, and it moved quickly. We had the plan (it was just me, and my 3 older kids, and Paige, her husband and her kids) to go on Space Mountain with our fastpasses before we had to part ways. We had Fantasmic tickets, they did not, and didn't feel like battling the crowds to see it, so they were going to call it a night when we left for it.

When we got to Space Mountain, I realized I was missing DD9--this seems to happen every trip. Somewhere along the way in Tomorrowland, she had dawdled and gotten seperated from us. We had given her instructions (it happened 2 times on our last trip to WDW) that if she got seperated to find a CM and they would take her to the lost children's area. So that is the first place we went...After about 20 minutes, a security person had brought her in...We were just getting ready for some of us to backtrack to Tomorrowland to look for her. So it was good she remembered what to do. I kept a firm handhold with her, and we finally went back and went on space mountain with fastpasses.
The standby line said 45 minute wait. Finally we get to use another fastpass! We did not use more than 3 or 4 this trip, and most that we used were really not needed....lol! Only Space Mountain in the evenings.

Fantasmic Balcony:
We said our goodbyes and my kids and I headed over to the Disney Gallery. We arrived at about 7:30. On the way, I noticed people had already started to line up around the waterfront, and the little bridge over the Pirates entrance was already lined along the front. (I was going to keep an eye out on it, so if we wanted to see it again, this was where I was thinking. Will have to arrive earlier than 7:30 it looks like.)

Now I had 2 things running through my mind. First, I knew what people said on the boards that we were seated in the order we reserved our tickets, but I had a friend go in July, that said the operator told her she had 6 tickets left, and she grabbed 5. She assumed that she was last, and would probably be seated in the back, but were the second ones to arrive, and were the second ones seated along the front...so I thought maybe arrival had something to do with it. I was dying to know where I was on the list regardless.

The Fantasmic buffet people were not there yet, and even though it said check in was at 8, they were not even going to be there for check in until just before 8:30. I loved looking around the Gallery, even though I was about to have heart failure from worrying and pacing. I loved seeing the conceptual artwork of Walt's apartment. It happened to be the weekend that they were releasing Thomas Kinkaid's picture of the castle for the 50th anniversary.

When the lady started taking tickets, I was devastated...second to last on the list! (I had the vacation planners get the tickets for me, and thought I had good chances...lol.)
I had read alot of negative things about the balcony on these boards right before we left...and especially being in the back row with little ones, so I was already doubting my decision to do it, even before we left for DL...
I had told the hostess that if she needed to split us up, she could.

THey started calling names to be seated...2 or 3 parties and then us. I thought to myself, "ok, let's see where we end up with!" I hadn't even seen the balcony yet. Just a slight view of the right side.
When she took us out, she showed us to the whole right half of the balcony! 4 of our seats with a little table in between them were front and center on the right, with 2 seats on the sloped right section, and the other 2 positioned right behind the little table that were in between the 4 seats that were in the front. It was almost like they were in the front too because they were scooted way up and were positioned around the table...make sense?? I am getting confused even typing it...hard to word it.
I was so surprised that I asked her if I could give her a hug, I was elated, and she laughed at me. I took a picture of us up there, and will post it...promise.

In my opinion, I loved being up there! It was not as crowded or as small as I had feared due to reading others' opinions, the desserts were great, and all my kids actually ate some! The host and hostess were very accomodating. The view was a little obstructed due to trees on the very right hand side of the balcony, especially since 2 of our seats were to the far right, but we did not hardly even notice. We just didn't get to see the boats an extra 15 seconds as they were approaching. Also I sat my DS not only on my lap, but because the railing was directly at his line of sight, I put my thick bag on my lap and sat him on top of it...that worked great! :goodvibes

Would I pay for it again?? Probably not, I have 6 in my family, but since this was a special trip and our first and maybe only time seeing DL's Fantasmic, I am glad we did. I tried to take pictures of the hordes of people down below, but it was too dark and didn't turn out.
** I just asked DH of what he thought of the balcony seating and if he thought it was worth it, and he said yeah, it was ok, too expensive to do again, but he said that seeing the fireworks afterwards and sitting in a chair made it more enjoyable for him. But he is a weirdo, and doesn't appreciate Disney like I do, so take that with a grain of salt! :rotfl2:

As we were watching Fantasmic, an Asian group of 4 or so (I was busy filming) came in really really late and were seated along the back. After a few minutes they got up and left. Then a few minutes after that, another group came in and sat for the duration of the show. Now I have no idea if we got the seats we did because those others were so late?? I think the first group left because maybe they had the riverfront seating...
But as it was starting, I noticed that there were not 22 people there, and how it was surprisingly not crowded at all. We took up half the balcony. There was only 2 other groups with us....I tell ya, that night we were LUCKY.

Afterwards, we all went on Indiana Jones (2 times for the switchoff with DH)with no wait at all as our last ride at Disneyland, and for me (my favorite ride, and one of the reasons I am so partial to DL) it was the perfect way to end my magical trip on!!!

I think that my goal was met, to make it the best trip that my Dmom and Dsis had ever had to DL, and I know my cousin and her family felt the same way! :teeth:

Day 8: Saturday, September 17th: Departure :sad1:

Nohing really happened this day besides just checking out and leaving California to go and visit my family in Las Vegas. Boy the hotel (GC) was busy yesterday and today. There was a huge Wells Fargo convention that was coming in, so that was the only thing that made me happy to be leaving...us leaving as THEY were all coming! :scared1: I cannot count how many bellman I saw with luggage racks FULL of luggage coming up and down the elevators. I don't think I have ever seen the GC that busy...Friday and Saturday were definitely bustling!

It was pretty sad for me actually. :guilty: The others were ready, they just do not have that Disneyland love that I do, :love: so we just don't understand each other at times....

We did stop at the World of Disney store in DTD right before we headed out so that whoever wanted to buy something could. My DD11 wanted a shirt, and I wanted some postcards of the 50th (they have a nice 12 card pack!) For some reason to me, it is so more exciting shopping at the beginning of the trip than at the end :( At the end, I just want to buy it all and take it with me. And I hate shopping there when I have to hurry. I love looking at everything. Did anyone else notice those rhinestone 50th mickey ears for $1,500.00?? :earseek:

We headed out at about 11:30, stopped to eat in Pamona at about 12, and were back in Vegas at 3:40...so traffic wasn't bad. :teeth:

Thanks for your review - I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures in Disneyland!

I haven't been to the "original" yet, just WDW and DLP, but it's on my Wish List! :goodvibes

BTW - I agree that all characters should be out with handlers - we found this a particular problem in DL Paris. :earseek: Loads of adults crowding round them meant that no-one got pics of their kids posing with characters (if at all!)

Hi Michelle,

Enjoyed your report. But was wondering of you were going to give us the
details of Friday, the 16th - the day you did the Fantasmic Balcony, etc. Would love to
hear about it.

ttig34 said:
Hi Michelle,

Enjoyed your report. But was wondering of you were going to give us the
details of Friday, the 16th - the day you did the Fantasmic Balcony, etc. Would love to
hear about it.

Ditto Michelle,

I am enjoying all your reports but am wondering about Friday. :goodvibes

Sure...I will get to work on it now. It was a full but fun day! LOL

Overall:
September is a great time to go, weather was absolutely perfect, and I get pretty sensitive to if its too hot or too cold, and I never thought it was either!

Things I am glad I did, and would do again:
1. Go with family and/or friends. I was a little worried about being with such a large group, and although it did slow things up a tad at times, it was really fun, especially entertaining and fun for the kids to have each other. Of course it helped that all the adults were such complying guinea pigs...errr I mean victims...umm I mean people! :teeth:

2. Enjoy the restaurants (especially DTD): We were going to skip alot, but I am glad we didn't. We had a great time in all of them! House of Blues and Tortilla Joe's were new, and we really liked them.

3. Enjoy all the entertainment--especially things for the 50th. Maybe some of us loved certain things more than others, but someone LOVED something that we saw. And it was worth it for us to get great seats for Billy Hill, Aladdin, Parades, fireworks, fantasmic...
Also stop and watch the great 'random' entertainment throughout the park. I think that was my mom's favorite. Like the trashcan drummers, Jazz band in New Orleans square, the comedy troupe at the Golden Horseshoe, bands in DCA, etc.

4. Take alot of pictures or film more!! I am always sorry once I get back if I didn't take more pictures or film more! This time I think I did, and am so happy to watch those fireworks right at the castle any time I want!!!

5. Hope and plan for the best case scenario, but expect the worst. The only exception of this for me, was Fantasmic. I got a little jittery, but I fear the unknown....lol

Things I wish I would have done different:
1. I would not have purchased Ridemax--NO NEED! :teeth: Although it is a GREAT program, this time of year and the weekdays we went did not warrant it at all. I will sure give it a shot when/if we go at a busy time though.

2. I would not have booked through AAA to get the enhanced fastpasses. Like I said with Ridemax, this time of year, it was totally useless. I probably only used 4 fastpasses the ENTIRE trip. I missed out on some great AP rates for our last 2 nights, and AAA messed up our room requests. Nothing personal, I just like to be in control myself. If it will be a busier time, then I definitely would!

3. Started out on some more kid friendly rides with DS3 first. Although we thought he was fearless, he was not!

4. I wish I would have bought more 50th anniversary souvenirs and some pins. I always either forget, or think I will buy it later, and it never happens! I even went back at the very end so my girls could buy something, and I totally forgot! I never buy as much as I want, get home and then kick myself!!!! :sad: Is anyone going soon? I sure want that 50th anniversary 16 month calendar, and would reimburse you for the costs? :goodvibes

5. I probably would have tried the Lilo and Stitch breakfast at the Paradise Pier. I have heard good things about it, and my kids love Lilo and Stitch. I think we missed out on that one, but there is just not enough time in the day at Disney!

Besides those main things, I doubt I would change anything else! If anyone has any other questions, be sure to ask!

Hi Michelle,
I have been looking forward to your trip report, it was worth the wait! Wonderful details and your family was always on the go. We were at the Grand from 9/10 - 9/13, in room 3165 with a great view of DTD - right above the Quiksilver store. We loved it :love: After 4 days of non stop parks, I was really pooped out. In fact on Tuesday, we staked out a spot for the fireworks on a bench on the Adventureland side of the hub around 5 pm and just relaxed and people watched. For being such a slow day at DL there sure seemed to be a jillion people show up for Remember. As for those $1,500 ears, they are Swarovski crystals....I collect Swarovski.....have over 100 pieces....but, the price tag was too steep for me. But I did admire them for a good five minutes. :earseek:

Thanks for taking the time to post, I am so glad you had a magical time. Are there any restaurants (other than BB & RFC) you really enjoyed? What about your kids - what were their favorite expericenes?

Hi lulubelle, I am so glad you had a good trip too, and you are so right about the fireworks...parks are so slow, and then they all come in about 6 on to see the evening entertainment...I think that is why Friday was so busy, only night they had all 3 during our stay! Parade, Fantasmic and fireworks.

As for restaraunts, we also enjoyed House of Blues, and Goofy's kitchen in addition to RFC and BB. We were trying to keep costs down a little bit since we have a cruise in November! :teeth:

I think the kids' favorite part was being there with family, and especially other kids. We usually go on our own, and I think this made it 10 times more enjoyable for them! And they ALL loved the new Space Mountain!

And I knew those mickey ears were made with more than rhinestones like I said...oops sorry everyone! :blush: I forgot the name of what they were, I knew it was pretty special though! :teeth:

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Michelle, I really enjoyed reading your trip review. I think you have inspired me to get that multi-generational trip planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter