A dream is a wish your heart makes - Sept 14-19 2008 (photopass pics added!)

Jaybird79

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, this is my first trip report taken from my blog. Hope you enjoy it. First off, cast of characters include me Jay, my hubby Ken and our daughter Ariel (2). This was our 2nd trip to Disneyland for Ken and I, we went on our honeymoon back in 2002. So this was Ariel's first trip! Yay!

Some goodies I made for the trip:

This was Ariel's travel outfit, and matching goodie bag for the plane, filled with Disney stuff.

IMG_6626.jpg

and her official t-shirt. yay!

n576615978_1721878_3025.jpg

now on to the fun stuff!

----------------------------------------------------------

It was an early morning as we woke up around 6ish to start getting ready. Dad was picking us up just after 7am so we had to be all ready to go. We finally got Ariel up and headed on our way to the airport. Dad took our picture outside, which funny enough, we have a picture of Ken and I in the same spot when we left on our honeymoon.... here we are several years later with our daughter heading to the happiest place on earth again. Hee.

Picture004.jpg

Ariel did well on the airplane. We had been telling her about it every time we saw one fly overhead leading up to our trip. At first we had her in the window seat, but she eventually made her way to the center seat between both mommy and daddy.

Picture028-1.jpg

She really liked the safety card... as did Ken who was making fun of the cheesy drawings. Haha.

Picture050-1.jpg

The flight was smooth and didn't seem too long. We had bought 2 of the little picnic boxes and chowed down on those for lunch. We finally got off and made our way to claim our bags. They happened to be some of the first ones off the plane, woot! Which was good because as we made our way to the spot to meet our Disneyland Express shuttle, it pulled up shortly after we arrived.

I got Ariel on board, who was nearly asleep at this point, and Ken got the bags checked in. However, when I put Ariel in the seat, I saw one of her golden 'slipper' shoes from Grammy was missing from her foot. My heart sank... and looked all around me, no shoe. Ken got on board and I ran out to check outside the bus. No shoe... I felt myself fighting back tears. It was just a shoe but still I was so tired and had a headache from the flight that it was hard not to be disappointed. I got back inside because we were leaving right away and sat down holding it together.

Ariel looked at me pointing to her shoeless foot. 'Shoe gone!' she said. No kidding... I sighed. We started driving away and I decided to let it go, not much we could do now... until we had our Cinderella moment.... 'Did anyone lose a shoe?' There was Ariel's 'glass slipper' being handed person to person back to us. Yay! I then tucked them away and left Ariel barefoot. Haha. Didn't matter anyways, she was out to sleep in a matter of minutes.

Picture059-1.jpg

She slept until we got to our hotel, the Fairfield Inn. It was so cool being back at the same place we stayed years ago, and it looked just as lovely. The first thought I had was at how hot it was, and then remembered how the pool was to be under construction during our stay (something I found out last month while checking our reservations). Then our second wish was granted, I heard splashing... no way! The pool was indeed open. When we checked in, the fellow said it got finished early. Yay! Our room is super cute, and Ariel has her own bed. We are on the 6th floor over looking the open pool. Hee.

Picture062.jpg

We got changed and headed down to the park to exchange our papers from the travel place for the tickets. Then we headed through those gates... the music playing, the people laughing and us in pure heaven! Truly this is our vacation home.

Picture065-1.jpg

First stop was a trip to the Mad Hater for some mouse ears for our little princess. She really loved trying on all the hats until we found the perfect ones for her. Daddy got a new 'Nightmare' hat too.

Picture072.jpg

We walked around a lot so Ariel could take it all in. Since it was a Sunday, it was pretty busy. A visit to the castle was next, I think our princess was impressed.

Picture078.jpg

Our tummy's were grumbling for food so we went over to find a place to sit and eat. We went to Cafe Orleans...

Picture097.jpg

...and waited for our table. We were surprised that it became available quickly and we were seated and waited on promptly.

Picture083-1.jpg

Dinner started with some Pommes Frites, Ariel's personal request for fries mainly, hehe.

Picture085-1.jpg

Then Ken and I both had the Monte Cristo. I can tell you that it REALLY filled us up for the remainder of the evening. Haha. Ariel ate most of the fruit and wasn't interested in the sandwich part, but I think she was still kinda out of it from the traveling at this point.

Picture089-1.jpg

After dinner we decided to try a few rides to get Ariel use to it. We started off with Pirates of the Caribbean, since its just a boat ride mainly. She was a little worried at first with the dark and spooky sounds but at the end she was talking about riding the boat again.

Picture102.jpg

So we then did the Jungle Cruise, Dumbo, Carousel and Winnie the Pooh. Highlights included finding Pooh's thoughtful spot...

Picture130.jpg

...and yummy treats from his shop after the ride. We all shared a 'tigger tail', very tasty!

Picture122a-1.jpg

Ariel really loved the carousel, and even found the perfect horse for her with an 'A' on the saddle.

Picture153-1.jpg

Daddy tried pulling the sword out... he wasn't strong enough. Oh well. Ariel didn't seem impressed though. Haha.

Picture152-1.jpg

It was so magical seeing Disney at night. Plus there was a full moon, so it was very pretty. The castle was just glowing.

Picture136.jpg

At 930pm the fireworks started... oh WOW! That was a pretty amazing show! Ariel was glued to it and I don't think her eyes could get any bigger.

Picture201.jpg

Click here to see video from the fireworks

By far the highlight of the show for her was seeing Tinkerbell (or Abell as she calls her) fly around. I must say it was pretty cool, hee.

As we were leaving for the night, I commented to Ken that it was strange for the few hours we were there, no sign of any characters.... but like usual, when you say something like that you are always surprised. Who do you think we saw.... MICKEY MOUSE himself. Ariel was THRILLED! Her first character and its the big mouse, how cool. She smiled even though she was shy, but she sure couldn't stop talking about him all the way back to the hotel. She wanted to go back again to see him. Awe. Ken was pretty proud. Haha.

Picture208.jpg

So that ended our day of traveling and our first initial visit to the park. Can't wait for tomorrow! Meeting up with Amy and her son Boston (some of my online friends) and later Allie and her girls Avery and Ainsley for lunch. Yay!

Picture212.jpg

Look for more adventure tomorrow! Here is Ariel signing off at the big 'A'.

Great TR so far!! :banana: Those are really beautiful pictures. Your DD looks SO happy with your DH and Mickey!! So sweet :goodvibes

Those pomme frites look scrumptious. Mmm hmm.

Thanks for posting from your blog.. I've thought about making a blog now that I have started enjoying the "documenting" of events. Even my DD wants in on the action. She wants to TR her last hike. More power to her!

Thanks for sharing your great pics and I'm looking forward to more! popcorn::

Oh my goodness, your daughter is soooo adorable.

I'm jealous that she loves the characters so much. My DD who is also 2 is terrified of them. :scared1: I took her to a character breakfast today and she would get excited and wave from afar but once they got anywhere close she would dive under the table.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I am glad you are enjoying the journey thus far. So here we go with Day 2!

----------------------------------------------------------

Aloha! That was our morning in a nutshell! We were up and out the door for our reservation at Lilo and Stitch's breakfast over at the Disneyland Paradise Pier hotel. We walked from our hotel, which was about 40 minutes since we took the long route to get some exercise.

IMG_6915.jpg

On our way we saw these beautiful birds of paradise flowers. Gorgeous!!!

IMG_6916.jpg

Also some amazing palm trees. Nothing like the weenie ones back home. Haha.

IMG_6885.jpg

We made our way to the back to find the big sign welcoming us. I am a HUGE stitch fan! So when I saw him walking around inside I was giddy. Hee.

IMG_6888.jpg

When we got inside, Ariel was given a lei and we had our pictures taken with both Minnie and Daisy. (Sorry, don't have a scanner to show them. Will post them when we get home). Ariel was LOVING Minnie. I must say my idea of taking Ariel to the character meals was a good one. It was a great environment to see them in and very non threatening and frankly you get more time with them too.

We went and grabbed breakfast. Such a great selection of food, most with a Hawaiian twist.

IMG_6892.jpg

Yummy! The salmon was amazing!

IMG_6891.jpg

Then Ariel got a visit from Pluto. She was being all coy at first...

IMG_6893.jpg

... but grinned for pictures. She is gonna thank me later. Haha.

IMG_6895.jpg

Then I got my wish, Stitch finally made his way to our table. Oh gosh I heart him!!!

IMG_6897a.jpg

Lilo came around too and loved Ariel's Hawaiian clothes I dressed her in that morning.

IMG_6899.jpg

Before we left, Ariel had to do some dancing to the music they had playing. I am sure she managed to wear off her breakfast in that short time.

Click to see video of Ariel dancing

We packed up and headed to meet Amy and Boston at the big California letters. It was sooooooo exciting to get to meet her and her little guy. Its strange when you talk so much online and finally you have proof they are real. Haha.

IMG_6938.jpg

Amy and Boston surprised Ariel with a pair of mouse ears with her name on them. Its great since I can put away the ones we got her in her memory box and she still has a set to play with around the house. Thank you so much guys! That was so special!

We road some rides in the Bugs Life area. Ariel and Boston were all smiles that's for sure. Boston comes to Disneyland lots, so he was showing Ariel which way to go. Very cute.

IMG_6921.jpg

This is one Amy took of the kids on the carousel. So cute!

IMG_1674.jpg

Amy was kind enough to stay with Ariel a few times so Ken and I could do some of the rides she is too small to go on. We did the Soaring over California, which is amazing and California Screaming. Ok, I haven't done a roller coaster since grade 10, so lets just say for me to do this one was crazy! The line was short so I didn't have time to chicken out, thanks to Amy having a fast pass for us to use, thanks again for that. Here is the shot Ken took before the ride...

IMG_6939.jpg

...and after. Ack! I screamed.... a lot. Especially when we went upside down! Yes, I went upside down and I don't plan on doing it again any time soon.

IMG_6940.jpg

Ariel, Boston and I then watched Ken and Amy do the Maliboomer, because there was no WAY I was doing it. The kids couldn't bear to watch. Lol. Basically it shoots you up straight in the air, then comes down. Eek.

IMG_6944.jpg

After rides we met Allie and her girls Avery and Ainsley for lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.

IMG_7015.jpg

The sound effects of the storm were a little spooky for the kids (Ariel didn't seem phased at all, maybe because she is use to Vancouver rain storms. Haha)

IMG_6949.jpg

Ken and I shared an appetizer plate, very tasty.

IMG_6953.jpg

Ariel had pasta, also a hit.

IMG_6951.jpg

After lunch we took some photos. Trying to pose 4 kids isn't easy. Haha!

IMG_6963.jpg

Online friends finally meeting in person! (Amy, Allie and Me)

IMG_7014.jpg

Our kids that helped us to meet, the Born in August 2006 Babies (not looking like babies anymore either)!

IMG_6977.jpg

Group shot... and then we said goodbye and we took Ariel back to the hotel for a nap... but she was out even before we got to our room. Poor little thing, it was a busy morning.

IMG_7012.jpg

After a nap, we came back to the park and guess who was there, Mickey and Minnie! We got pictures with both. Minnie was too cute for words. Hee.

IMG_7021.jpg

We also saw Mary Poppins and Bert.

IMG_7024.jpg

They came up to Ariel and said hello. Very sweet.

IMG_7025.jpg

We did a few more rides, of course the carousel again. I love this shot.

IMG_7035.jpg

Dinner was chicken at the Plaza Inn and then we decided to watch the parade.

IMG_7047-1.jpg

We totally want to see it again this week and film it, as we all were spellbound with it. I also want to get some more pictures, as I spent most of my time watching it. Hee.

IMG_7087a.jpg

After the parade we went to downtown Disney and Ariel got a puppy at Build a Bear and we got some goodies at one of the Disney shops. I found a photo album to put all our pictures in, and Ken found some Wall-E stuffies. Ariel started talking about her binkie, so we knew it was time to call it a day. So back to our room for a snack of pizza and some tv.

IMG_7096.jpg

Tomorrow morning we get to go into the park an hour early because of our passes. We also are booked for lunch at Ariel's Grotto to see the princesses. So tune in again for more Disney fun.

I just love that dancing video! Too cute! :dance3:

I love all your pics. That's cool that you got to meet those other dis-friendly people! It looks like you guys managed to have a great time!

It was a magic morning for us, we had tickets to get into the park an hour early. So we grabbed a small bite at a bakery in Downtown Disney and went in. We were planning to head straight to Fantasyland to get on the rides that always get super long lines right away. However, we got side tracked when we saw both Goofy and Donald! Goofy was really cute with Ariel and had her giggling.

IMG_7116.jpg

Ken was really excited to see Donald, since on our last trip he was NOWHERE (not even in the parade)! Ariel is like her Daddy, and loves Donald. She gave him a high five and is still talking about it.

IMG_7130.jpg

We then went on to ride Peter Pan, Pinocchio and did the child swap so we could ride Big Thunder Mountain railroad. I also got to ride Indiana Jones, Ken will ride tomorrow, as we had to rush off to our lunch date at Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure.

IMG_7136.jpg

This was such a wonderful experience for Ariel. She was in pure heaven! First off we came down the stairs and got to see Ariel in a beautiful gown waiting to see us! She was super sweet with our Ariel, and loved her dress. Ariel was smitten, and had to keep watching her with the other kids. 'Ariel movie!' She kept yelling. (This is the picture they took, so cute.

IMG_7374.jpg

The restaurant was very cute with all the under the sea touches. They gave each child a paper crown with stickers to decorate as they waited for their meal. Ariel had fun doing with that with us, and before you knew it, lunch began.

IMG_7174.jpg

Then they would announce the arrival of the other princesses. First up was Belle! Ariel loved her to pieces.

IMG_7150a.jpg

Then came Jasmine...

IMG_7152a.jpg

...and Aurora (Ariel asked her to draw 'Bert' of Ernie and Bert which was a true sign that she likes you)...

IMG_7162a.jpg

...and finally Snow White.

IMG_7171a.jpg

Lunch was super yummy and Ariel loved her octodog macaroni and cheese. Isn't it cute?!

IMG_7169.jpg

We had the french onion soup

IMG_7151.jpg

Fish and Chips

IMG_7167.jpg

and chocolate cake, dang that was good!

IMG_7173.jpg

After we were finished we made our way around the park. We ended up finding Cinderella, so in one day we pretty much saw all the major princesses. Very cool!

IMG_7198.jpg

Also saw Mickey, in another outfit again. He was rushing off, but I managed to grab this picture.

IMG_7202.jpg

We did another few rides including Monsters Inc, Ken did the Tower of Terror... not me, haha. We also went through the animation area and saw the Turtle Talk show with Crush. That was really neat, and Ariel loved the turtle. We also found Wall-E for a photo opportunity. Haha.

IMG_7211-1.jpg

I love Wall-E

IMG_7208.jpg

Then we went to Playhouse Disney, and Ariel was excited to see the puppets. But after the opening, things kinda went weird, and shortly afterwards the loud speaker announced the show was canceled due to technical issues. Oh well, we will try to see it tomorrow.

Since it was so close to it being parade time, we didn't bother to go back to the hotel to rest. We found an empty spot and got some krispie treats, mickey style of course. Haha.

IMG_7229.jpg

We also saw these there, but they were too impressive to eat!

IMG_7228.jpg

The Pixar parade was a blast! They were spraying lots of water and every time Ariel got hit she laughed. Such a fun show, and we got to see lots of our favourites including characters from Cars...

IMG_7235.jpg

...Monsters Inc...

IMG_7239.jpg

...and Nemo just to name a few.

IMG_7263.jpg

After the parade wrapped up we walked over to Disneyland again. We went to see the Enchanted Tiki Room show, and Ariel really enjoyed that. Nothing better than singing animatronic birds, lol. We then found an empty bench and waited for the next parade. I love this one so much, and hope we can watch it again once more before we leave. A few pictures from tonight's show.

IMG_7312.jpg

Yay Tinkerbell! She is just so cute, and Ariel loves her.

IMG_7313.jpg

Ariel sat munching on her popcorn and when we followed the parade down main street she was soon fast to sleep. No surprise since she didn't get a nap.

IMG_7360.jpg

Before we left the park, we caught the last show of the day of the First 50 Magical Years of Disney film with Steve Martin. Ariel slept in Ken's arms while we watched, and it was good since she probably wouldn't have sat through it otherwise. The park was now closing, so we made our way out, and I grabbed a picture of Tinkerbell lighting up the garden. We came back to our room for a snack and bed.

IMG_7370.jpg

We have a date with Chip and Dale for breakfast the following morning, and we take Ariel to the Princess Fantasy Fair as well. So stay tuned for day 4!

Your TR is great and your DD is ADORABLE! I love all of her outfits! Isn't it fun meeting online friends for the first time, but it not feeling like the first time because you 'know' them so well from online? My very first DL trip back in 2001 was with my DD, 17 months at the time and we met up with 3 other moms and their babies from the April 2000 boards on aol! Seeing your pics brought back good memories, thank you! I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

Great pics, again! I especially like the one with your DD looking, lovingly, at Jasmine! So sweet! Looks and sounds like a very magical trip

I'm going to CA/Disney at the end of this month to see my mom. We're finally getting a chance to go to a Disney park together (I'm 28!).

In preparing for my trip, I'm looking at getting a new digital camera. I love your pictures! What kind of camera are you using?

In preparing for my trip, I'm looking at getting a new digital camera. I love your pictures! What kind of camera are you using?

I have a Canon Powershot S5IS. I had a Canon powershot S2IS before this one, and I really love them. Its a great digital camera in my opinion. :)

hi! I hope you don't mind a brief intrusion... this is actually travelmel but I'm trying to get 10 posts done on my DDC's new account so that she can begin her own TR that she's been dying to do!

Thank you so much and I'll post from my own account soon!

Melissa

You have a beautiful family. I love your trip report and pictures and am looking forward to the rest. Wow, love that carousel shot of your daughter. Truly a “Magic Moment.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter